1Likes

post #1 of 230 Old 01-30-2007, 02:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 25

Welcome to the MyHD on Windows Vista  & W7 / W8 Main thread

This thread is for discussion of using the "MyHD" software and HDTV cards (MDP-130, MDP-120 ...)
on Microsoft's Windows Vista and W7 / W8 Operating Systems (All Versions).

As the "CW_EPG" helper program for the "MyHD" software is such a Wonderful addition and many "MyHD" owners will not consider using the "MyHD" without it, the discussion must include "CW_EPG" usage on Vista.

Stephen H. Fischer

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 230 Old 01-30-2007, 02:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

MyHD on Windows Vista is a work in progress.

Some success has been found, but at this time I do not feel that Switching to Windows Vista is a good plan for many users.

Good progress is being made and the final result is expected to be as good or better than running the "MyHD" software on Windows XP SP2.

"CW_EPG" is working on "Windows "Vista".

While testing is just getting started, "MyHD" on "Vista" is looking Very Good and with the release of the new Version of the "MyHD" software and a new Version of "CW_EPG" I expect to be able to recommend switching to Windows "Vista" for those who wish.

"UAC" will have to be turned off for the foreseeable future which will make the environment the same as for Windows "XP SP2".

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MyHD on Vista Goals:

MyHD on Vista Goal 1: Power failure recovery.
  1. Unplug the power cord from the HTPC and wait one minute.
  2. Plug the power cord back in simulating a power outage restoration.
  3. The HTPC turns on (Requires BIOS setting, may not be possible with all computers).
  4. Vista starts with NO user action.
  5. User is logged in with NO entry of password.
  6. HTPC Computer goes into Sleep mode (Hibernation).
  7. HTPC wakes up and records Scheduled Programs. Either by "MyHD" or "Fusion" HDTV tuners, or both.
  8. HTPC Computer goes into Sleep mode (Hibernation).
  9. The waking up, and recording programs and going into sleep mode continues as long as there are programs set to be recorded.
  10. HTPC also wakes up, if necessary, to run "CW_EPG" to download new listings and schedule new programs to be recorded.
  11. HTPC may also wake up to perform other tasks and go back to sleep.
  12. This Goal includes removing any unnecessary "clicks" during the normal usage of "MyHD" in interactive mode watching HDTV live or playing back previously recorded programs.

Goal Requirements:
  1. UAC must NOT be disabled.
  2. No user action is required at any point, this specifically means NO "clicks" to run either "MyHD" or "CW_EPG" in administrator mode.
  3. The logged in account for running "MyHD" and "CW_EPG" remains in "Limited User mode even while "MyHD" and "CW_EPG" are running in administrator mode.
  4. The User account IS Password Protected.

MyHD on Vista Goal 2: Remote Desktop Usage.

Goal Requirements:
  1. "MyHD" can be started when the Desktop is on the Remote Computer.
  2. When the Desktop is on the Remote Computer, pressing the "HD" button on the "MyHD" remote displays the HDTV program on the main display. (VGA Passthough Mode).
  3. All "MyHD" functions work the same when controlling the "MyHD" as when it is controlled with the Desktop on the main display.
  4. Long term goal, allow the "MyHD" overlay to be enabled and appear on the remote Desktop.

Note: "Fusion" does not operate correctly even on Win XP when started on the Remote Desktop as it's Overlay cannot be turned off. "MyHD", as its Overlay can be turned off is usable and can be controlled on the Remote desktop on Win XP.

MyHD on Vista Goal 3: Fast User switching.

Goal Requirements:
  1. HTPC will Start with the User Account that "MyHD" will be running on (Administrator Mode).
  2. Fast user switching can be used to switch to a non Administrator User Account for Internet Surfing and other activities that are best done in a protected environment.
  3. "MyHD" and or "Fusion" will be able to start to record scheduled programs while the User Account for running "MyHD" is not connected. "CW_EPG" will also run when scheduled, it also must use the Administrator User Account for running "MyHD".
  4. If it is desired to use the "MyHD" to view recorded programs, the User Account for running "MyHD" must be switched back to, as well for running "CW_EPG" interactively.
  5. The non Administrator User Account can be switched back to after "MyHD" or "CW_EPG" usage, if it has not been logged off.

Stephen H. Fischer
post #3 of 230 Old 01-30-2007, 02:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Here’s how my upgrade went from XP to Vista with MDP 130 card.

02-03-07, 04:25 PM
hdinlexky2

How to install MyHD in Windows Vista

11-20-06, 08:31 AM
wbo

MyIRC under Vista old serial version Remote

03-24-07, 08:37 PM
Nemo288

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note! The Following links are to very technical documents, they may not be for all persons.

Some of the links have been changed, if you cannot find the proper file, post a message and I will try to find it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Registry and "Program Files" folder changes:

"Developer Best Practices and Guidelines for Applications in a Least Privileged Environment"

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa480150.aspx

Windows Vista Security Guide

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/win...ity/guide.mspx

"Inside the Windows Vista Kernel: Part 1" - Better Video Playback experience.

"Multimedia Class Scheduler Service"

"I/O Priority"

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/tec...l/default.aspx

"Inside the Windows Vista Kernel: Part 2"

"Memory management"

"Startup and shutdown"

"Power management"

"Inside the Windows Vista Kernel: Part 3"

Kernel Transaction Manager

Enhanced Crash Support

Volume Shadow Copy

BitLocker

Code Integrity Verification

Protected Processes

Address Space Load Randomization

Service Security Improvements

Windows Vista Service Pack 1 Beta Overview

http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=7345603

post #4 of 230 Old 01-30-2007, 02:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hi,

1. I like the idea of having all posts for Vista in one place.

2. I do not like the idea that Vista posts are not welcome in other threads.

So, I like / hate my starting this thread.

--------------------------------------------------------------

I have noted some mis-information about MyHD on Vista on other threads.

I will add links to useful information that applies to the MyHD as I find it and others report them. My Vista "Inside out" book is to be shipped 01/30/2007. When I receive and read it, I may be better able to answer some questions.

My main interest at the moment is to get "CW_EPG" working with MyHD, something that I am unable to do currently.

Both the MyHD and Fusion are working on Vista for me and the Fusion is working with MCE.

I have already discovered a lot of useful information on the MS websites, but as "CW_EPG" records so many programs for me to watch, my time to research Vista is not as great as I wish.

Stephen H. Fischer
post #5 of 230 Old 01-31-2007, 11:33 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I meant to create a thread like this long ago, but I'm glad someone finally did. I think I was afraid nobody would come to my party.

Anyhow, my only problem right now is that I am having DVI card issuesm and I believe that is unrelated to Vista (someone correct me if they know/suspect otherwise). I am looking to RMA that, so hopefully that will be the only problem. I have had no problems with MyHD generally in Vista after setting the installer and the MyIRC programs to XP SP2 compatibility mode.

Sure, it would be great if this obstacle were overcome, but I'll survive. I did not realize that the CW_EPG wouldn't work, as I haven't tried it since installing Vista. That is unfortunate, but I assume it will be figured out.

For now, I'm more sad that my M-Audio Delta 410 is driverless under Vista for now, so MyHD or not, I have no sound (except for ASIO). I don't presume anyone knows a neat trick to make MyHD use an ASIO sound driver, eh?

Nathan
post #6 of 230 Old 02-01-2007, 12:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdinlexky2 View Post

Has anyone updated from Win XP to Vista with MDP 130 installed? What are the issues. I have read the META FAQ and searched AVS forum and see mixed information. Some threads say it doesn't work at all, others indicated you have to reinstall the drivers. Some say the IR remote doesn't work. I haven't read about performance issues, are there issues? I have talked to people who have told me video files have become choppy after upgrading to Vista. (not MDP 130 related)

Does MIT plan on releasing Windows Vista drivers?

Any feedback with recent experiences with the release of Windows Vista and upgrading from XP would be quite useful. (as it pertains to MyHD MDP -130)

THANKS!

Hi,

See "First Post" above for my current status.

Yes, some of the information elsewhere is related to Beta RCx testing and may not apply to the RTM version. (RTM = Released to manufacturing, the version that just hit the streets.)

I used the instructions in the links post above and I am able to watch HDTV and the MyIRC Remote does work.

Video Performance should be better due to new Vista features for Video playback.
I will try and find the web page with the details and add it to the links post.

I am running two RAID 0 arrays on My HTPC as I saw an improvement under Windows XP SP2. I have not seen any problem with any Video use on Vista.

As I have not done extensive testing yet, there may be issues yet to be seen.

As to "Vista Drivers" that ambiguous question was asked before with an answer given that was also ambiguous.

There is a new version of the MyHD software that is reported close to release. I have NO knowledge as to what is in that new package currently in beta testing.

As the current drivers do work, I do not expect any new drivers. (64 Bit drivers I expect NEVER will appear.)

Because the timing of the new package is just after the release of Vista, there may be changes to make the MyHD work better under Vista.

That is why I am not rushing to try and switch quickly as it may be much easier very soon.

(Another Web page link to add about UAC, "Developer Best Practices and Guidelines for Applications in a Least Privileged Environment").

As to the answer given to the previous posters question:

I do NOT expect to see any "BDE" drivers EVER for the MyHD for any operating system. (That is, unless we users find a way to produce them ourselves.)

So, the MyHD will NOT be able to be used with the Media Center.

Hopefully the other person who figured out how to install the MyHD on Vista will add further comments.

Stephen H. Fischer
post #7 of 230 Old 02-01-2007, 12:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncfoster View Post

I meant to create a thread like this long ago, but I'm glad someone finally did. I think I was afraid nobody would come to my party.

Anyhow, my only problem right now is that I am having DVI card issuesm and I believe that is unrelated to Vista (someone correct me if they know/suspect otherwise). I am looking to RMA that, so hopefully that will be the only problem. I have had no problems with MyHD generally in Vista after setting the installer and the MyIRC programs to XP SP2 compatibility mode.

Sure, it would be great if this obstacle were overcome, but I'll survive. I did not realize that the CW_EPG wouldn't work, as I haven't tried it since installing Vista. That is unfortunate, but I assume it will be figured out.

For now, I'm more sad that my M-Audio Delta 410 is driverless under Vista for now, so MyHD or not, I have no sound (except for ASIO). I don't presume anyone knows a neat trick to make MyHD use an ASIO sound driver, eh?

Nathan

Welcome!

Everyone is Welcome as long as they take a positive attitude.

Sound is a problem for me also, but I do have a driver that works except for the Mixer. I found many users on the Web with the same problem and one finally posted a file link that worked. Still no Chip Mfg real driver for Vista.

With the massive changes in graphics I expected that to be a problem and it may be for some people. My Graphics Chips are made by one of the venders that worked with MS for the new Graphics system. So I am lucky for that.

There are a lot of Mfg's that are behind currently, I saw some things that were working under the beta that did not with the RTM version. That may be why the new MyHD software is delayed.

Try putting CW_EPG in the same folder as MyHD, that is what I plan to try next when I have the time. I even tried Adim running in addition to "XP SP2 Compatability and I had no luck. I need to check and see where each is able to R/W to the Registry, it appears in my testing that they may be writing to different places.

Stephen H. Fischer
post #8 of 230 Old 02-01-2007, 03:31 AM
AVS Special Member

It still pis##s me off that I can't use it's phenominal DVD playback ability with anything but a single-core cpu

Jim White
St. Petersburg, FL
post #9 of 230 Old 02-01-2007, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFischer1 View Post

Hi,

See "First Post" above for my current status.

Yes, some of the information elsewhere is related to Beta RCx testing and may not apply to the RTM version. (RTM = Released to manufacturing, the version that just hit the streets.)
Stephen H. Fischer

Thanks for the response! Can you comment on your system specs (DVI card - video / audio, processer, ram, hyperthreading enabled,etc.) Did you do a upgrade from XP or start from a clean slate? I read about sound cards not working, I guess Audigy should be fine, correct? (But I use DVI digial audio output for MyHD 130)

My system (2 1/2 years old):
P4 3.4 GHz single processor (/ hyperthreading)
MDP 130 with DVI card
2 GB ram
GeForce 6800GT
Audigy sound card

I don't want to upgrade unless I know nothing video wise would be degraded (MDP 130 or general windows playback (using VLC) of divix, .264, VOB's, ISO .ts,xvid,DV, etc) since I have this hooked up to my TV. I don't want to
upgrade without knowing if I will suffer performance issues.

Thanks!
post #10 of 230 Old 02-01-2007, 05:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
A "positive" message for the Vista folks:

The new MyHD release, which indeed is imminent, positively has exactly as much knowledge of Windows Vista as did the previous versions--zero.

Stephen, I'm curious about your remark, "Video Performance should be better due to new Vista features for Video playback." You may have meant performance of--for example--VLC, but MyHD's HD output is completely independent of the PC's OS so it cannot benefit from any OS features.

BTW, if CW_EPG doesn't work under WinV I suspect that the reason has something to do with some sort of new protective features in the Registry, rather than what folder it's installed in.
post #11 of 230 Old 02-01-2007, 07:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimwhite View Post

It still pis##s me off that I can't use it's phenominal DVD playback ability with anything but a single-core cpu

Hi,

Perhaps in the future a thread could be started to address this and other issues and the possible solutions after MIT support has ended.

I have been thinking about the post MIT support period for some time.

Those thoughts are for later and in a different thread.

Stephen H. Fischer
post #12 of 230 Old 02-01-2007, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member

agreed, but it bears mentioning for the newbies, since I suspect that upwards of 90% of Vista machines will be running at least a hyperthreaded cpu.... and while we're at it, the same "bug" in the network file handling calls prevents one from playing files over the network....

Jim White
St. Petersburg, FL
post #13 of 230 Old 02-01-2007, 07:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

What makes you think that WinV will have any bugs, Jim? That's not a very positive attitude!
post #14 of 230 Old 02-01-2007, 08:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the response! Can you comment on your system specs (DVI card - video / audio, processer, ram, hyperthreading enabled,etc.) Did you do a upgrade from XP or start from a clean slate? I read about sound cards not working, I guess Audigy should be fine, correct? (But I use DVI digial audio output for MyHD 130)

My system (2 1/2 years old):
P4 3.4 GHz single processor (/ hyperthreading)
MDP 130 with DVI card
2 GB ram
GeForce 6800GT
Audigy sound card

I don't want to upgrade unless I know nothing video wise would be degraded (MDP 130 or general windows playback (using VLC) of divix, .264, VOB's, ISO .ts,xvid,DV, etc) since I have this hooked up to my TV. I don't want to
upgrade without knowing if I will suffer performance issues.

Thanks!

Hi,

My system:

ASUS P5AD2-E Premium Motherboard

Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.20GHz (2 CPU's, Model 640)
Version: x86 Family 15 Model 4 Stepping 3
Speed: 3211 MHz

hyperthreading enabled, YES

MDP-130 NO DVI card

FusionHDTV5 RT Gold

2 GB ram

Video Card ASUS EAX1600XT SILENT/TVD/256M (NO Fan, Vista qualified)

Video Card (VGA Output)
Model: ASUS X1600 Series

Video Card (DVI Output)
Model: ASUS X1600 Series Secondary

Winbook 37M1 - 37" LCD HDTV & PC/HD Monitor

Sound Card Onboard ASUS P5AD2-E Premium Motherboard
Manufacturer: C-Media
Model: C-Media High Definition Audio Device CMI9880

Local Disk
Total Capacity: 745.24 GB

TWO (2) RAID_0 Arrays and a single drive,
Five (5) Samsung Spinpoint 160 Gig SATA Quiet Hard Drives.

Installation was clean to a new partition, first to the single drive for the Beta Versions and then to the RAID_0 array (Intel Controller)for the RTM version.
MB also has a SIS Raid controller, I have yet to install the drivers so Vista does not see the second RAID_0 array.

I Dual Boot between XP, Vista and other OS's. I suggest getting Software to Partition your Hard Drive marketed for Vista use so you do not have to make the switch permanently until you are ready. You must have lots of space for Video, borrowing 50 Gigs for another operating system install is simple, but first get your Video files down to as close as possible to zero to make the time to set up a new partition reasonable or you will lose your TV for many hours or days.

I suggest you wait on upgrading until those of us with Vista already sort out any problems. Check MS's sites for what hardware is supported and your Mfg's Web pages for new drivers. Do a general search for Audigy on the Vista Newsgroups and the Web, that's how I found my temp sound driver.

Stephen H. Fischer
post #15 of 230 Old 02-01-2007, 09:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPeterson View Post

A "positive" message for the Vista folks:

The new MyHD release, which indeed is imminent, positively has exactly as much knowledge of Windows Vista as did the previous versions--zero.

Stephen, I'm curious about your remark, "Video Performance should be better due to new Vista features for Video playback." You may have meant performance of--for example--VLC, but MyHD's HD output is completely independent of the PC's OS so it cannot benefit from any OS features.

BTW, if CW_EPG doesn't work under WinV I suspect that the reason has something to do with some sort of new protective features in the Registry, rather than what folder it's installed in.

Hi,

See the Links post for "Better Video Playback experience".

MyHD will not benefit from these features, but then I have not studied them in detail yet. It might be possible to make registry changes to enable them.

If that can be done, MyHD will benefit with better file I/O so less Video breakup will occur even in it's own Video output.

Sorry to point you to another link on the Links post, if you have the time, search for "Virtualization" in the Registry and "Program Files" folder changes:.

There may be some quirks in the "Run XP SP2" mode that may require CW_EPG changes, but I need to look as to where CW_EPG and MyHD are actually using the registry. The problem that I saw was CW_EPG not seeing the MyHD channels.

Of course, Operator Error may be the cause and others may quickly report no problems. I am very time limited as to the time I can spend with Vista.

Putting CW_EPG in the MyHD folder is one possibility to get them to see the same registry parts, I do not know if it will work or what the conditions are for them to see the same parts of the registry.

Stephen H. Fischer
post #16 of 230 Old 02-02-2007, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi,

You appear to be correct. I saw no differences at all, is there a list of changes available yet?

Can you verify that the "CW_EPG" mods are in the "temp" new version?

I ran the "Application Verifier Tool" on the "MyHD", actually the "Microsoft Standard User Analyzer" which presents the information in a much better way.

It appears that the "MyHD" must be run on Vista with "administrator" privileges.

Which may mean that "CW_EPG" must also be.

I now have "CW_EPG" being able to see the "MyHD" Channels. ("administrator" privileges.)

The latest hang, and it is a solid one, is with writing the EPG data after downloading listings. I have not been able to map the channels yet so that may be the reason for the hang. I plan next to try and copy the XP "CW_EPG" data files to Vista to see if I can get further. When I kill "CW_EPG" the downloaded listings appear to be lost.

Should "CW_EPG" be trying to write the EPG data if there are no channels mapped? Does this hang occur on XP?

Stephen H. Fischer
post #17 of 230 Old 02-02-2007, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
This may not be the appropriate thread, but I've had much success with the SiliconDust HDHomeRun product for my QAM needs that I've retired the CW_EPG application. I have relegated my MDP-130 card to playback only since I get better quality output with it's component interface than my video card using Sage or VLC.

The only downside is not being able to watch something (on the MyHD card) while you record through another application, like MediaCenter or Sage.

We're all thinking it, but no one wants to say it. Even though we may get the MyHD cards to work with Vista, they will eventually go the way the dodo bird without vendor support, like the Hipix and AccessDTV cards before it.

(puts flame suit on)
-Robert
post #18 of 230 Old 02-03-2007, 04:25 PM

Here's how my upgrade went from XP to Vista with MDP 130 card.

My system
(single processer P4 3.4 GHz / hyperthreading - which I disable time to time to watch DVD's on MDP 130)
RAM: 2 GB
Primary HD: 140 GB raid 0 array (2x70GB) with about 75 GB free space
VIDEO: GeForce 6800GT
AUDIO: Sound Blaster Audigy 2ZS

MDP 130 setup:
I have an MDP 130 with DVI daughter card. I connect the DVI to my Sony 56 CRT projection TV and connect the optical audio out to my sound system. I use titan TV to schedule recordings. Which are primarily QAM local HD stations broadcast by my cable company.

I bought the upgrade version of Vista on Friday, I didn't want to do a clean wipe since I didn't have the time to do that this weekend, so I just upgraded XP keeping on my files on my C drive.

When I put the Vista disk in, it recommended I download and run the upgrade advisor first.

So I did, the upgrade advisor told me MDP 100 card was incompatible, (I do have the MDP130!) and warned me about some other software (including my Norton Antivirus)

Well I decided to do nothing and go ahead and install the Vista upgrade.

It took 1 to 1 ½ hours or so to install from the Windows DVD disk. No errors occurred during install.

After install, I had to uninstall Norton Antivirus due to an annoying popup message: driver compatibility error that popped up like every 30 seconds! Then I download trial version of Norton Antivirus and installed the trial version. The trial version somehow knew I had like 160 days left on a subscription and automatically became the full version with no driver errors. (That was nice, I was afraid I was going to send emails to symantec tech support to straighten things out!)

For MyHD MDP 130 card, I read in this forum that I need to set compatibility mode to WinXP SP2 for the following files: TitanTvHelperApp.exe, MyIRC.exe, MyHD.exe

So I did.

These files are located in the MDP 130 directory: C:\\Program Files\\MyHD

Next I tried to play a .ts (transport stream) file on my HD and it played perfectly to my TV and my digital audio from the daughter card was fine also. Great! Then I tried going to the TV tuner, uh oh, an error occurred and closed. I remember reading something on the internet about needing to give program admin access and I did that. You can right click the file (MyHD.exe) and select properties and go to compatibility tab. And make sure to run program as an administrator. See my attachment: XP sp 2 mode.jpg
Note, I only did the admin thing for the MyHD.exe.

With admin access the program ran fine, except I got a message that I had to click okay to give this program permission to run since it was trying to run as an administrator. I didn't want this, so I read somewhere about disabling this message by disabling something called UAC in vista. (by not disabling the UAC, the remote couldn't start the card and the scheduled recording wouldn't record unless you click okay, so UAC has got to go.)

How Disable UAC (see my attachment: UAC.jpg)

Got Control Panel and select User Accounts and Family Safety, then select User accounts, and select turn User Account Control On / Off. Then select OFF

With these settings, MDP -130 seems to run fine in Vista. Even the 3D fancy Vista flip option is working with the My HD preview window.

See my previous post for some screen captures of MDP-130 running on vista:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&&#post9671070

So far I've tested playback, the remote control, scheduling recording files using Titan TV and haven't come across any problems. If I see any issues I will post here. I have noticed a few minor bugs, for example, when some system popup message occurred, I couldn't interact or move the MyHD control panel or video preview on computer screen until I acknowledge the message. Also one time the 3D flip wasn't working when MyHD was running and I couldn't move the control panel or preview on the monitor. I had got an error from My HD low on memory?! (2 GB!?) These bugs didn't affect playback. So far I haven't come across anything making me regret upgrading to vista. The true test will be over time, but I have watched a few different TV program on it in the last day and it's working just fine.

I do have a question to the community, does anyone know is it possible to leave UAC on, but to somehow have it remember to give permission to MyHD every time it runs. (so you don't have to click okay) I am guessing that is safer than just leaving UAC off.
LL
LL
post #19 of 230 Old 02-03-2007, 04:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

hdinlexky2--

Did you try DVD or LAN file play? If you must disable hyperthreading, is there a similar (or easier) method to WinXP's for doing so?
post #20 of 230 Old 02-03-2007, 06:45 PM

Quote:

hdinlexky2--

Did you try DVD or LAN file play? If you must disable hyperthreading, is there a similar (or easier) method to WinXP's for doing so?

In Vista, DVDs play like in XP in file mode for MyHD. But tonight I have tried DVD mode and it worked fine. I just opened video_ts.ifo file and ran the DVD just fine from the hard drive. (for North American and region free DVDs) It does seem picky about region codes now. I played a DVD disc I had got from overseas that wouldn't play unless the region code was changed. Note this file, played just fine in XP, so something in Vista is checking the DVD region where before there wasn't and issue in XP. (this only applies to DVD mode, not file mode)

I haven't tried to play files across the network, I presently have no need for file sharing on my network and don't intend on setting that up to test it.

Regarding disabling hyperthreading, the only way I know to do is in bios. That is how I did it on XP and how I do it in Vista. I am not aware that this can be done in the OS. So I have to reboot to make such a change. Do you know of any other way?
post #21 of 230 Old 02-03-2007, 07:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Yes, you can append "/onecpu" to the end of the line in boot.ini in the root folder that invokes the OS. Then if you add a duplicate line without the "/onecpu" you can choose at boot time whether or not to allow hyperthreading without a trip into the BIOS setup menus.

From your tests of DVD play, however, that may no longer be needed since it seems that MSFT may have fixed the bug that was preventing MyHD' DVD/LAN file/DVHS functions from working with HT on in XP.
post #22 of 230 Old 02-03-2007, 07:17 PM

Quote:

Yes, you can append "/onecpu" to the end of the line in boot.ini in the root folder that invokes the OS. Then if you add a duplicate line without the "/onecpu" you can choose at boot time whether or not to allow hyperthreading without a trip into the BIOS setup menus.

From your tests of DVD play, however, that may no longer be needed since it seems that MSFT may have fixed the bug that was preventing MyHD' DVD/LAN file/DVHS functions from working with HT on in XP.

HUH!?

No, you misunderstood me! My HD is still the same boat, DVD mode does not work in Vista with hyperthreading enabled (just like XP in that regards) The only difference I have seen (between Vista and XP) is that region code thing I mentioned in my last post.
post #23 of 230 Old 02-03-2007, 09:59 PM
Advanced Member

DVD43 a little memory resident on-the-fly DVD decrypter works with Vista, which really surprised me. This might make playing DVD directly from the DVD drive easier, at least with MyHD. Google to find this utility.
post #24 of 230 Old 02-03-2007, 10:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

...DVD mode does not work in Vista with hyperthreading enabled....

Thanks for the clarification.
post #25 of 230 Old 02-04-2007, 02:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hi,

As some of you have noticed, I am Editing the First posts on a regular basis.

When important changes have been made I will post a message like this one.

I am of course open to suggestions as to their content which is what new visitors see first.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you are a programmer, or think like one and you are willing to do technical research on Vista issues, please "PM" me.

I would like to build a list to identify persons who are willing to help attain the Goals and their personal capabilities and spare this thread deep technical discussions.

The first item is for the Goal: MyHD on Vista Goal 1: Power failure recovery.

Goal Requirements:

UAC must NOT be disabled.
No user action is required at any point, this specifically means NO "clicks" to run either "MyHD" or "CW_EPG" in administrator mode.

"PM" me and I will point you to the USENET messages that will be the place I start to address this item if no one is willing to help.

Stephen H. Fischer
post #26 of 230 Old 02-05-2007, 03:16 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valnar View Post

We're all thinking it, but no one wants to say it. Even though we may get the MyHD cards to work with Vista, they will eventually go the way the dodo bird without vendor support, like the Hipix and AccessDTV cards before it.

I take issue with saying that the accessDTV cards have gone "the way the dodo bird without vendor support". Software releases have not stopped for accessDTV (as the person working on the software I would know this better than anyone else) and there aren't too many holes that need to be filled. I don't want to take this thread too far off topic, but things I would like to add are:

1) OSD program guide.
2) Improved OSD scheduled recording management.
3) Support for additional tuners for recording, which would obviously also allow the scheduling engine to schedule more than 1 recording in a given timeslot.

Most recently, I've written a plugin that monitors BeyondTV transport stream recordings and creates accessDTV metadata files so the accessDTV card can easily be used to play back those recordings. I should also be releasing a software update that fixes most known bugs and adds some new features.

Given the BeyondTV plugin I wrote, I'm not sure that item 3 is really worth the effort, but I may do it if only to satisfy myself.

Not bad for a product gone the way of the dodo bird... .
post #27 of 230 Old 02-05-2007, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post

I take issue with saying that the accessDTV cards have gone "the way the dodo bird without vendor support". Software releases have not stopped for accessDTV (as the person working on the software I would know this better than anyone else) and there aren't too many holes that need to be filled.

I apologize profusely and stand corrected.

-Robert
post #28 of 230 Old 02-08-2007, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hi,

I Disabled "UAC" (Which I do NOT wish to do) and I am now able ro run "CW_EPG" on Windows "Vista".

After copying my "WatchList" and the "New To Me" database files I was able to schedule a capture for the "MyHD" using "CW_EPG". (Manually as none of my watched programs was on soon)

"MyHD" did the Capture (I stopped it short of the full time period).

I was then able to watch the captured "tp" file using the "Fusion" Tuner playback.

I select the "MyHD" or "Fusion" depending on the recorded program, "MyHD" for Letterboxed 16:9 programs on a 4:3 only file, "Fusion" for programs that the "MyHD" does not play the sound as well as the "Fusion" program. (On XP, Vista not tested fully yet)

I have a lot more testing to do and I will not be switching to full time use of "Vista" on my HDTV until the new version of the "MyHD" software is released along with the next version of "CW_EPG".

I also have many other issues to be addressed before the switch, many companies have yet to release their "Vista" driver versions and I need to test a lot of software I use.

Stephen H. Fischer
post #29 of 230 Old 02-08-2007, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Stephen, thanks for the info, keeps me from updating my HTPC till the MyHD is updated.

Support C-band, the only true satellite signal,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #30 of 230 Old 02-08-2007, 06:47 PM

Well, I have been on Vista with MyHD for about 1 week. All seems well so far, I got a couple minor errors on day 1, but since then, it seems very stable and no issues. I have scheduled several recording with Titan TV that worked well, and have played back files to my TV everyday without a hitch. Slightly off topic, my performance with VLC media player seems a little reduced since I am stuttering on .264 files, other than that, all is well with file play back.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page