Welcome to the MyHD on Windows Vista & W7 / W8 / W10 Main thread - Page 11 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

View Poll Results: What Version of Windows "Vista" are you using "MyHD" on
"Vista" Home Premium 24 24.00%
"Vista" Home Basic 1 1.00%
"Vista" Ultimate 65 65.00%
"Vista" Business 10 10.00%
"Vista" Enterprise 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
post #301 of 322 Old 06-10-2015, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked: 40
MyHD Notes on W10 6/10/2015

MyHD Notes on W10 started 6/10/2015 1:23 PM.
Spoiler!

SHF

Last edited by SFischer1; 06-10-2015 at 03:34 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 322 Old 06-12-2015, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

MyHD Notes on W10 6/12/2015

MyHD Notes on W10 started 6/12/2015 12:36 PM.

Spoiler!

SHF
post #303 of 322 Old 06-13-2015, 07:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Thanks, Nani, that Regedit change just made my life a lot simpler. I'd been trying to get MyHD working with CW_EPG on a W10-32 machine with no luck for several days. With EnableLUA turned off, everything seems to be working. I was able to get all other CW_EPG features and tuners working with out disabling UAC, but MyHD was the tough nut.
post #304 of 322 Old 06-13-2015, 08:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPeterson View Post
Thanks, Nani, that Regedit change just made my life a lot simpler. I'd been trying to get MyHD working with CW_EPG on a W10-32 machine with no luck for several days. With EnableLUA turned off, everything seems to be working. I was able to get all other CW_EPG features and tuners working with out disabling UAC, but MyHD was the tough nut.
Watch out for some parts of W10 checking UAC and saying NO WAY WILL ALLOW SOMEONE TO DO THIS.

It may be some time before I can check the "Take Control" "Take Ownership" solution. I do wonder if that solution will work for a folder in Program Files. I did see one post about Program Data folder.

With the Software Empire solution to get W7 PRO on both HTPCs failing my new plan will take some time.

I have coming from MicroCenter an OEM version of W7 PRO for my ASUS P7P55D-E Pro where the W7 Home Premium is now. As it is a Retail Version I will be moving that Product key to the older P5B (Current HTPC), crossing fingers that MSFT will still allow this after five years. OEM versions cannot be moved.

I just downloaded a full CD of files for the P7P55D-E Pro, my BIOS is was out of date and Windows advisor said get later versions for the P5B so that may be the case also that many are needed.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Terry, will you please tell me how you have your W7 system set up. Your suggestion for W10 hints that is different from the W7 Home Premium setup I was about to swap in.

I need to wipe clean that W7 partition as it will be transferred to the P5B and thus need to start over completely with a clean install of everything Wednesday or later.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now that the Fusion abort on rewind failure that I have been living with ~ 7+ years is gone and the XP file system is so very messed up it is the highest priority to get the P7P55D-E Pro swapped as my active HTPC.

SHF

Last edited by SFischer1; 06-14-2015 at 02:22 PM.
post #305 of 322 Old 06-14-2015, 12:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFischer1 View Post
Terry, will you please tell me how you have your W7 system set up....
I set it up years ago and don't recall all the details. What specific parts are you interested in? It is Home Premium, MyHD was installed in WXP-SP3 compatibility mode, and UAC is turned off, of course, but I don't know what else to tell you.

My W10 MyHD system is now set up the same way, thanks to your (and Dave Plettner's) tip on the Registry hack for disabling UAC in W10.
post #306 of 322 Old 06-14-2015, 10:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Nani, I now understand that you were referring to my recommendations a few days ago to try W10's default settings to install MyHD, based on my W7 experience. I've now found that it is possible to run MyHD with UAC on and the app's exe files all set to WXP compatibility, but there are limitations when doing that, including that it won't launch for CW_EPG captures. Turning off UAC (which I also did on W7 I now recall) fixes these problems. Yes, you then cannot run Metro apps, but who needs those on a MyHD-based HTPC? Certainly not yours truly.
post #307 of 322 Old 06-14-2015, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

From your post:

Welcome to the MyHD on Windows Vista & W7 / W8 / W10 Main thread

Does UAC need to be turned off {to install MyHD} like on Vista? Yes I think so.
No, I think not, as it was not required on Win7.

Administrator account, it goes without saying.
Again, no.

Compatible settings, I think there are words that W10 is better.
I suggest that you just run Win10 in its default configuration and set the properties of the installation files (app and driver) to WinXP SR3 {Ed: Make that SP3} compatibility. Then see what happens. Based on my experiences with Win7, I expect that it will work.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
One additional step suggested, if you have any zip files from another computer is to right click and select properties and then UNBLOCK.

The SP3 did not work for another program but SP2 did (CDCheck, a very old one.) And did not appear to be applied to MyHD and MyIRC.

I will need to check the registry on W7, turning off UAC. I need to check the book, but that is five years old also.

W7 must work the first time, well nothing does.

SHF
post #308 of 322 Old 06-14-2015, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I just checked W7 and the registry key to turn UAC off is there.

Are we talking about just lowering the slider on W7?

I think that we confirmed that they are not the same.

SHF
post #309 of 322 Old 06-14-2015, 12:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I don't recall changing any Registry keys related to UAC in W7. So, yes, I think that all I did was to lower the slider to the bottom, which isn't the same as in W10, as you say.
post #310 of 322 Old 06-19-2015, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

MyHD Notes on W10 6/19/2015

MyHD Notes on W10 6/19/2015 Started ~ 5 PM

Spoiler!

SHF
post #311 of 322 Old 06-19-2015, 05:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Make sure that you don't have "Start in HD Mode" set in MyHD configuration. (Look in the Registry to check) You will have to have UAC turned off when you use MyHD with CW_EPG, but it will function on its own with UAC on, provided you properly install all its components in WXP-SP3 compatibility.

EDIT: You don't mention whether your IR sensor is USB or serial. If the former, you may find that W10 does not like it and sets itself up consuming enormous CPU cycles for some reason. I just disconnected my USB sensor, since I don't use the MyHD remote. (I know that isn't an option for you, Nani)

Last edited by TPeterson; 06-19-2015 at 05:59 PM.
post #312 of 322 Old 06-19-2015, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Make sure that you don't have "Start in HD Mode" set in MyHD configuration. (Look in the Registry to check) You will have to have UAC turned off when you use MyHD with CW_EPG, but it will function on its own with UAC on, provided you properly install all its components in WXP-SP3 compatibility.

EDIT: You don't mention whether your IR sensor is USB or serial. If the former, you may find that W10 does not like it and sets itself up consuming enormous CPU cycles for some reason. I just disconnected my USB sensor, since I don't use the MyHD remote. (I know that isn't an option for you, Nani)
The last time I used MyHD it looked better, MyIRC started upon restart, it could start MyHD and control it and I tested both overlay and HD mode (VGA input instead of DVI.) Pop out buttons worked.

USB IR sensor used and I did not see high CPU usage, but that was one of the things I planned to check.

I did not have "Start in HD Mode" set but I needed to add it.

P5B has had W7 Home Premium installed and it and XP used a lot since W10.

I was going to enable UAC to try and discover what part of MyHD / MyIRC it was blocking. Foiled again.

My P5B is a old MB, (Vista Special Edition) and some of the ASUS utilities could not be installed, but I did not try too hard.

A solution is just not coming clear and I am too sleepy most of the time. I just am trying ideas when they come up and time is available. I am becoming to believe that the registry hack is not the answer.

SHF
post #313 of 322 Old 06-21-2015, 01:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

We Insiders are "Grand Fathers" (Maybe)

Hi Terry,

I was about to start testing CW_EPG on W10 (P7P55D-E PRO) and decided to read the latest "Insider" messages.

What they said appears to match your position that "Insiders" will be "Grand Fathers" in and can do clean installs.

I inferred that the same computer must continue to be used.

They said nothing about "PRO" vs "Home" but I am guessing "PRO" for Insiders.
EDIT: They did say "Home" and "PRO".

Nothing also was said about "Dual Booting" for Insiders or with the qualifying W7 install for normal people

If you have not read the "Insider Notes for 6/19/2015 I suggest you take the time to read them.

SHF

Last edited by SFischer1; 06-21-2015 at 01:16 PM.
post #314 of 322 Old 06-21-2015, 05:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

MSFT really, REALLY wants to make W10 more successful than W8 was. And they figure that giving away a bunch of copies to early adopters will do that. Maybe they're right.
post #315 of 322 Old 06-22-2015, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
MSFT really, REALLY wants to make W10 more successful than W8 was. And they figure that giving away a bunch of copies to early adopters will do that. Maybe they're right.
That is a business model right out of the drug dealer book.
Give the "mark" a free taste; when they are hooked, demand payment for the product.

To me, it's not much different than the ransom ware, CryptoLocker.
When MS demands payment to maintain the "free copy."

Cheers, Tp

"No lawsuit ever fixed a moron."
post #316 of 322 Old 06-22-2015, 09:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeps View Post
That is a business model right out of the drug dealer book.
Give the "mark" a free taste; when they are hooked, demand payment for the product.

To me, it's not much different than the ransom ware, CryptoLocker.
When MS demands payment to maintain the "free copy."
I also find it hard to trust them; They've been known to push an update that breaks systems. Now they want to force people to take them, working or not.

Chris C
post #317 of 322 Old 06-22-2015, 03:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Please select your area(s) of interest for "Insider"

1. Developing Windows apps for PCs, tablets, and phones
  2. Developing games for PCs, tablets, and phones
  3. Developing apps for Microsoft HoloLens
  4. Developing devices with IoT Core
  5. Using Windows for your company
----------------------------------------------------------------------

I checked # 5 , guess which four might get you a FREE unrestricted PRO version of W10 without W7 or 8 on the computer .

SHF
post #318 of 322 Old 06-23-2015, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Microsoft clarifies how Windows 10 RTM will be offered to Windows Insiders

Hi,

Grand Fathers Rule!

http://www.windowscentral.com/micros...ndows-insiders

Quote:
"I want to continue as a Windows Insider!" If you want to continue as a Windows Insider past 7/29 there is nothing you need to do. You're already opted in and receiving builds in the Fast or Slow ring depending upon your selection. This is prerelease software and is activated with a prerelease key. Each individual build will expire after a time, but you'll continue to receive new builds so by the time an older prerelease build expires you'll have received a new one. Since we're continuing the Windows Insider Program you'll be able to continue receiving builds and those builds will continue to be activated under the terms of the Windows Insider Program. We provide ISOs for these builds for recovery from any significant problems, but they are still pre-release software. As part of the program we'll upgrade Insiders to what is for all intents and purposes the same build as what other customers will get on 7/29, but that will be just another build for Insiders, and those who stay in the program will simply get the next build after as well."
Quote:

"I want to opt out of the Windows Insider Program on 7/29." If you decide to opt-out of the program and upgrade to the 7/29 build you will be subject to exactly the same terms and conditions that govern the offer* that was extended to all Genuine Windows 7 and 8.1 customers. This is not a path to attain a license for Windows XP or Windows Vista systems. If your system upgraded from a Genuine Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 license it will remain activated, but if not, you will be required to roll back to your previous OS version or acquire a new Windows 10 license. If you do not roll back or acquire a new license the build will eventually expire."
The former was not in my mind.

Are there any restrictions for dual booting? I read the latter as that is locked to the computer that is upgraded.

SHF
post #319 of 322 Old 06-27-2015, 05:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I got my P7P55D-E PRO finally setup with Windows 7 PRO and W10.

The messages on the Internet were not clear enough, You MUST install an W7 OEM version on a Computer with a Clean Hard Disk. After I zeroed the entire drive W7 PRO OEM installed and was able to be activated.

Getting the drive partitioned was a little harder, it took "Auslogics DiskDefrag" to identify the clusters that got placed in the middle of the drive and to get them out of the way. (40GB + 40GB + Video) = 500GB

Then after three restores of the W10 partition and three installs of W10 I got the BCD Store fixed.

MicroCenter clerk was right ~ five years ago, I could have purchased the W7 HP OEM version but I could not at that time find instructions on the Internet how to install it. Having said that, the ability to move the Retail version from computer to computer was useful for me.

http://www.microcenter.com/product/4...1_32-bit_-_OEM

This time I can say it was a good purchase.

Newegg has it also:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-803-_-Product

Now if BofA gets my money back from the scam, all will be well.

SHF
post #320 of 322 Old 06-30-2015, 05:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Talking MyHD Died - It's Alive, It's Alive.

Stopped dead cold. Windows 10 testing of MyHD has ended for now.

After a long total power off for a few minutes, turned power on and my MyHD sees signals on all the stations but 0x0 with no display or audio offered.

Anyone have a MyHD for sale for lots less than the one on E-Bay (~$800)?

It's Alive, It's alive. I finally tried Windows 7 HP and it works with some channels.

W 7 is not yet ready for prime time. Time to reinstall MyHD on XP ? I thought that was in the past. EDIT: Re-Install on XP did not help. File playback is fine. EDIT2: Un-Install and RE-Install sorta worked. RF 2 found but not RF 36 and RF 50.

SHF

This has happened before but MyHD has come alive sooner.

Two or three long total power off periods which has helped in the past, removed the MDP-300 card, dusted it off and put it back in with no change.

-------------------
And spent ~ 7 hours downloading the new W10 Insider build and 10158 which will not install. (Not just my problem.) P7P55D-E PRO, backup HTPC.

But a new Build 10159 is available with 300+ fixes now. Try again tonight? NO, I am not that much of a sucker.

Well, they did say be ready for anything. (Cost = FREE )

Last edited by SFischer1; 06-30-2015 at 07:39 PM.
post #321 of 322 Unread 07-03-2015, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Reasons I stoped using W7 on my HTPC years ago

Hi,

I have perhaps switched away from XP to a new install of W7 permanently.

Some of the reasons I did not like W7 and stopped using it are beginning to appear.

• MyHD's ever shrinking overlay window may still be occurring.
  • Fusion's 4X and 8X Fast Forward and Reverse appear to just be 1X with no sound.
  • I have not tested it yet but Fusion's stealth mode when Forwarding and Reversing may be present. My Hibernation timer was set to five (5) minutes and when FFing or REWing a large file the computer would Hibernate. Not a problem with XP but was also on Vista. Windows could not tell Fusion was still running. Not a problem with any other program as I remember. (Fusion was paused and it just hibernated. )
  • Using Fusion to turn the computer on failed. Then after reset an attempted boot, restart loop. Looking at S1, S3 only setting, no joy. Booted W7 System Repair Disk that looked like Vista booting. Found one error. Said Root Cause Found. This is the second time this has happened. Moving the slider on the Fusion control froze the picture, it took FF REW to bring it back.
  • The Fusion Abort on Rewind Bug is gone, it only took me 7-8 years to finally understand and fix the Linux sabotage of Windows that only Fusion was subject to. (And stupid me for continuing to partition my hard drives with that software.)
This is starting to be a Fusion bash party but MyHD and VLC will see more use. In any cases it is a list of things to test Fusion with on W 10 if MyHD can be made to operate properly. My guess is yes but there are so many changes and builds coming nightly (Two I missed, one would not install and just disappeared, the next I never saw and finally the third downloaded but the new key will not work.) The entire suite of CW_EPG programs must all work together for success to be declared.

I have a possibility of acquiring another MyHD which would allow testing on my backup HTPC thus reducing the lost of my active one. That would delay my planned testing two or more weeks.

More as I see problems but the use of the keyboard is starting to look like XP, the on screen keyboard used more then a real one.

SHF

Last edited by SFischer1; 07-03-2015 at 05:53 PM.
post #322 of 322 Unread Today, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

USB View on W7

Hi,

My MyHD's MyIRC IR remote stopped working on W7.

I finally traced it down to weak batteries.

But I did find this useful tool in the process:

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/win...soft-usb-view/

It showed that the MyIRC was connected. I had tried three sets of used batteries, my Weather Station eats batteries but they usually are still useful in remotes.

SHF
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page