Welcome to the MyHD on Windows Vista & W7 / W8 / W10 Main thread - Page 15 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

View Poll Results: What Version of Windows "Vista" are you using "MyHD" on
"Vista" Home Premium 24 24.00%
"Vista" Home Basic 1 1.00%
"Vista" Ultimate 65 65.00%
"Vista" Business 10 10.00%
"Vista" Enterprise 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #421 of 449 Old 06-13-2016, 03:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Passwords last only one year after you create a new one (Required)

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/43-for...l#post44710065

SHF
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #422 of 449 Old 06-13-2016, 06:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friend
This password stuff is out of control. I have to keep a file just for passwords and a printed copy. It's impossible to remember dozens of them, and like AVS, more complicated passwords are required every time. There must be a better way.

I have been using this for decades: (This page was last modified 08:19, 7 May 2007.) (From help on my working copy!)

http://eyecanseeyou.free.fr/passremi...nder_Main_Page

One password to open your list, then find your entry and click on it. Then click on user name icon to copy it to the clipboard and paste it where you need it. Then click on the password icon to copy it to the clipboard for pasting.

I can recommend password manager strongly due to heavy use. I use a icon on the taskbar to open it, be sure you make the icon visible as an reminder to close it when not needed. I copy the password file from my laptop which is master to other computers. WiFi, Router, and any other passwords are kept in PM.

BTY, Medicare passwords expire every three (3) months. 28 Characters minimum, letters, numbers and special characters MUST be included. Well maybe not Medicare. My WiFi password cannot be remembered or typed in successful.

SHF

Last edited by SFischer1; 06-13-2016 at 06:30 PM.
post #423 of 449 Old 06-15-2016, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Watch for e-mail with your new password.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/43-for...l#post44758193

Quote:
Attention - Upcoming Password Changes Hello Everyone,

Per the latest announcements we will be resetting everyone�s passwords. Shortly you should be receiving an email directing you how to change your password. It will look like this:
SHF
post #424 of 449 Old 06-16-2016, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have been away from AVS for many years and the password reset thing brought it back to the front of my mind. Anyway, I'm posting here because I recently went through my old computer stuff and found my MyHD MDP-130 in a box. Is it worth selling? I'm thinking "free to a good home" would be fitting for this piece of my journey with HTPCs. Anyone interested, especially Silicon Valley folks, PM me.
post #425 of 449 Old 06-23-2016, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Unhappy VGA + Sound to HDMI from MyHD a bust.

I installed the $20 VGA + Sound to HDMI for MyHD on my "ASUS P5B Vista Edition MB" and nothing is as expected.

It may be operator error but I cannot get any sound on my new Sony "Smart" HDTV from the MyHD.

I was able to get MyHD's live HDTV display but not filling my 16:9 screen. (No Sound makes even that a waste!)

The desktop pass through somehow only displays the wallpaper.

I might be able to get a full 16:9 display from MyHD but that would mess up my normal Graphics card HDMI settings. And the settings on the Sony HDTV.

The "ASUS P7P55D-E Pro" computer to be swapped in ASAP has a different Sound card and may allow sound from MyHD. It has the same Graphics card.

Installing the latest "AMD Catalyst Software" is both a plus and a minus from the earlier versions.

Quote:
Radeon Software Crimson Edition is AMD’s revolutionary new graphics software that delivers redesigned functionality, supercharged graphics performance, remarkable new features, and innovation that redefines the overall user experience.
So, $20 down the drain perhaps. Plus I have another 8' Monster HDMI cable $40 from Fry's after Newegg passed that part of the order to Monster and they would not ship the cable for $27.

SHF
post #426 of 449 Old 07-11-2016, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Installing MyHD on W7 won't work.

Hi,

I am trying to install MyHD on a clean install of W7 Pro. All updates have been applied.

The MyHD card and IR sensor are plugged in.

Compatibility is set to XP SP3 for "MyHD_App_Drv_v1.66.1E.exe" and UAC slider is at the lowest.

I right click that program and select run as ADMINISTRATOR.

That only unpacks the files to %TEMP%.

I set Compatibility to XP SP3 for "Setup.exe" in %TEMP%.

The spinner spins but nothing more happens.

What am I missing?

SHF
post #427 of 449 Old 07-11-2016, 07:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Something (I don't know what) has already gone wrong if the temp folder persists after you run the MyHD_App_Drv exe. That should completely install the app and the driver (and delete the temp folder).

Ah! Maybe I do know what went wrong: Did you look for a dialog window behind some other window after launching that first exe?
post #428 of 449 Old 07-11-2016, 07:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPeterson View Post
Something (I don't know what) has already gone wrong if the temp folder persists after you run the MyHD_App_Drv exe. That should completely install the app and the driver (and delete the temp folder).

Ah! Maybe I do know what went wrong: Did you look for a dialog window behind some other window after launching that first exe?
I will look closely at the screen but so far all I am seeing is the unpacking in the upper left of the screen. Then nothing more happens.

I just tried again and closing the Windows Explorer window leaves nothing on the desktop.

MyHD was working until the 500 GB system disk failed. I only have zeroed the 400 GB disk that was installed, made it the system disk and installed Windows 7 Pro. Plus added a 160 GB for backups. (Also zeroed)

Well, I was not going use MyHD much anyway. No big loss but I will keep thinking about things to try.

At least Fusion looks good, it is installed and working.

SHF

Last edited by SFischer1; 07-12-2016 at 06:48 PM.
post #429 of 449 Old 07-12-2016, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFischer1 View Post
Hi,

I am trying to install MyHD on a clean install of W7 Pro. All updates have been applied.

The MyHD card and IR sensor are plugged in.

Compatibility is set to XP SP3 for "MyHD_App_Drv_v1.66.1E.exe" and UAC slider is at the lowest.

That only unpacks the files to %TEMP%.

I set Compatibility to XP SP3 for "Setup.exe" in %TEMP%.

The spinner spins but nothing more happens.

What am I missing?

SHF
The only things I do differently is, download to a Temp folder (I made on the C: drive), then, unpack to the same Temp Folder.
Then run the setup.exe from same.
Second is I don't right click and run as administrator, as I set that up in the compatibility dialog box.
Once myhd is installed, I check and set the compatibility mode in each installed .exe file for myhd.

What fusion card are you using?

Cheers, Tp

"No lawsuit ever fixed a moron."
post #430 of 449 Old 07-12-2016, 09:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I don't know what youse guys are talking about, but I just double checked and when I run MyHD_App_Drv_v1.66.1E.exe I immediately get a dialog from MIT telling me that I'm about to install MyHD sw. There's no user-dealing with any temp folder.
post #431 of 449 Old 07-12-2016, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I don't know what youse guys are talking about, but I just double checked and when I run MyHD_App_Drv_v1.66.1E.exe I immediately get a dialog from MIT telling me that I'm about to install MyHD sw. There's no user-dealing with any temp folder.
I tried again early AM trying to start the install after moving the temp files to closer to the root in a CMD window. No Joy.

Then I changed to XP SP2 and suddenly I got a popup saying try these compatibility settings. I didn't look closely but just clicked and it worked.

MyHD is up and running just fine now.

But the system that would not boot again will not boot. I suspect a thermal and reseating all cards planned.

After getting CW_EPG on the active system running.

SHF

EDIT: After three tries with the BIOS not starting the fourth one started the computer after the resume from Hibernation failed message that has been present a random number of tries to boot. Flashing the latest BIOS when I get the time is the next step.

Last edited by SFischer1; 07-12-2016 at 09:03 PM.
post #432 of 449 Old 07-12-2016, 08:37 PM
ebo
Advanced Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
If you upgrade and realize you absolutely hate Windows 10, no sweat -- you have 30 days to go back to your previous version of Windows.

I thought it was longer. Deal breaker for me.

SHF
Sorry for the late response but I don't read this thread regularly anymore. To lock in your free upgrade to Win 10 but keep using Win 7 indefinitely, clone your Win 7 drive (buy a new drive if you don't have one handy), store one of them and upgrade to Win 10 on the other. To return to Win 7, just swap drives. I've read that Microsoft keeps track of hardware signatures--probably the motherboard, maybe the CPU--so once you've upgraded you can do a clean install of Win 10 anytime without the system needing to see a previous installation.
post #433 of 449 Old 07-13-2016, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebo View Post
Sorry for the late response but I don't read this thread regularly anymore. To lock in your free upgrade to Win 10 but keep using Win 7 indefinitely, clone your Win 7 drive (buy a new drive if you don't have one handy), store one of them and upgrade to Win 10 on the other. To return to Win 7, just swap drives. I've read that Microsoft keeps track of hardware signatures--probably the motherboard, maybe the CPU--so once you've upgraded you can do a clean install of Win 10 anytime without the system needing to see a previous installation.
Leo Laporte, The Tech Guy, was talking about that this past weekend.
He said it's possible to dual boot win7 and win10.
He said he would post the recipe on his website...

Cheers, Tp

"No lawsuit ever fixed a moron."
post #434 of 449 Old 07-13-2016, 08:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeps View Post
Leo Laporte, The Tech Guy, was talking about that this past weekend.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeps View Post

He said it's possible to dual boot win7 and win10.

He said he would post the recipe on his website...
Many months ago I dual booted W7 and W10.

For the W10 Insiders you will be able to continue dual boot as that Insider W10 system is not tied to the W7 system. It’s different rules.

For dual booting W7 and the W10 that was upgraded from W7 the random call home to MSFT will tell what OS you are using and there is one key kept. Windows may stop to function.

If the thirty day rule is enforced we may not know for several months. MSFT may change the rules.

The W10 Insider program requires you to upgrade to the latest build as all builds have an expire date.

For my HTPC I see no benefit.

SHF

Last edited by SFischer1; 07-13-2016 at 04:51 PM.
post #435 of 449 Old 07-13-2016, 08:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Yes, dual booting is easy but requires two licenses for legality. Preserving your right to a free upgrade (or securing a longer-than-30-day trial) is a different matter. See this Fred Langa article for a method to address the latter: Preserve a free Windows 10 upgrade for later use
post #436 of 449 Old 07-16-2016, 12:33 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Terry.....A pay-for article?

I don't know if it is worth it to keep plugging on with the old MDP-130s with ATSC 3.0 coming down the pike.
http://www.tvnewscheck.com/article/9...tsc-30-service
We'll have to upgrade anyhow to new hardware. They don't work in 64-bit [what my next builds will be, Windows or Linux]
Blender works on both, and I don't like 10. So if I can afford it in 2019-2020 I'll probably have one W7 64 with the "Maple"
theme elements, because I like the classic desktop and a person from the Win7 group made identical themes to the 2000/XP
ones a couple of years ago and one Linux machine unless I'm still using the PortableApps suite.
I get most of my stuff to watch the file share way these days, no commercials and even one 4K {but that was a big file, way bigger
than 1080p.mkv}, then they'll just be conversation pieces. That doesn't mean that your experimentation goes unappreciated.

My only concern would be remote control ability, a wireless keyboard isn't easily lost in a chesterfield [sofa] but is kind of bulky.
I worry about falling behind though, I haven't worked since my heart attack and the quintuple bypass.

ebo...I wouldn't worry about CPU, I already unlocked this Sempron 145 into an AthlonII 4450e and will probably do the same to the older
machine or upgrade if it is still running then, though the only AM3 sockets I see any more at Newegg are the triple-cores, with the same hit
or miss for unlocking into a stable quad.

----just chewing the fat since I haven't posted in a while....until I make my grocery list and get out today.
post #437 of 449 Old 07-16-2016, 12:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Bruce, I hadn't realized that the article was subscriber-only.* I've been a Windows Secrets subscriber since it was "Langa List". It's just about the cheapest entertainment available, since you can (I think still) set your own rate and Fred Langa continues to write good tips.

I'll worry about ATSC 3.0 after it actually appears on the street. Until then it seems just another way to chase ones tail. My latest TV set, made necessary when the previous Samsung died at less than 3 years old, is a 4k Vizio with streaming capability--and by far the best picture quality of any of my LCDTV sets to date. My Amazon Prime Video membership includes access to a very few 4k items, so I took a look at some of them. Thus far, not a very compelling proposition IMO, but it may well end up obviating an OTA switch to ATSC 3.0!

*EDIT: The short version: (1) make a backup of your current HDD, (2) let MSFT do the Win10 upgrade, (3) make a backup (image) of the upgraded system, and (4) try the MSFT procedure to revert to the previous OS and if that fails use the backup from (1) to revert. Then (he says) you can use the Win10 image or even a standard Win10 ISO to subsequently upgrade again whenever you want.

Last edited by TPeterson; 07-16-2016 at 12:54 PM.
post #438 of 449 Old 07-16-2016, 07:39 PM

Thanks Terry.
I like the Visio line they've come a long way from a cheap TV in the last few years.
However, as I used to do fiddling with 2000, using XP APIs and kernels, and those today doing almost the same with XP, modifying 7s and 8's and the POS licensed products to keep their XP installs alive and kicking, plus third parties like Adobe haven't abandoned them, unlike
2000 Pro.

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/1718...omment-1120441

So when the time comes, I'll probably be a 7 holdout, cutting and hacking the OS to keep it alive. As long as my brain can keep functioning.
BTW, I've had those nasty Win10 'updates' taken care of long ago, though KB2952664 shows up every month, so I just put it on hidden and there was a KB3173040 that would put a splash screen on your system but that was too easy, as it was the only one to show up last Monday/weekend when I did a manual update, then researched and hid that one as well. The other pest was KB3035583 but as old timers..I assume y'all would know about that as well. So I don't get any "nags".

BIG FAT EDIT:
Hey guys, when I left here I went to another forum and they were talking about the snoopware in W10 and there's this neat utility from Safer-Networking, that they may add as a function to Spybot called Anti-Beacon, its for 10 but works in 7 as well, though like Spybot S & D , you have to unlock the hosts file with your firewall, then relock it, but then you can immunize your system from the snoopware.
Here's what it did to mine and in 10 you get around a dozen of these bar graphs:

It works against all of the M$ so-called nag updates, even ones I may have missed by their KB number and it does much more if you're using W10.
https://forums.spybot.info/showthrea...dows-10/page15
Did ya already know about this?

Last edited by browncoat; 07-17-2016 at 12:38 AM.
post #439 of 449 Old 07-16-2016, 09:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

You could've used another tip from Windows Secrets to simplify your W10 upgrade-less life: GWX Control Panel. However, since the nags are going to vanish in a month....

Last edited by TPeterson; 07-16-2016 at 09:48 PM.
post #440 of 449 Old 07-16-2016, 11:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
You could've used another tip from Windows Secrets to simplify your W10 upgrade-less life: GWX Control Panel. However, since the nags are going to vanish in a month....
I wonder.

MSFT may have made the W10 upgrade free because they want as much traffic as possible for their new store.

That thinking suggests that the end may not be near for the free upgrade. Vista end of life will not matter but W7 end of life might be another free period. My new HDTV is as much as a store for the "Smart TV" idea with very few free items.

-----------------------

My MHz Choice subscription (International Mystery with English Subtitles) has now turned into a store, "The Bridge" is what KQED is showing as "The Tunnel" (Chunnel). Ten (10) x 1Hr + junk series.

SHF

Last edited by SFischer1; 07-16-2016 at 11:06 PM.
post #441 of 449 Old 07-17-2016, 07:57 AM

Quote:
You mean this:
http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/deta...rol_panel.html
Downloaded last year (October) but not installed because I cut off the most annoying of the KB[s] manually before letting upgrades get to the reboot stage. Anti-Beacon was/is made for W10 primarily for those that don't like M$ knowing their business, the best I can describe it that AB seems to add an extra layer to one's firewall or Windows Defender, where 10 was originally designed to send gobs of data like an ET phoning home, for the paranoia crowd.
Seriously, I dunno, if I have to, in order to run whatever hardware may come circa 2020 I'll wait and put 10 into a new build where I can tweak to my heart's content before depending on said machine for daily tasks. Never on an upgrade, if it ain't broke.....
I'll miss the classic no Aero desktop though. When I do go pirate, I'll stop and read others' comments before I d/l and regularly run/update AVG, Malwarebytes and Spybot and know where I'm going first.

Last edited by browncoat; 07-17-2016 at 08:47 AM.
post #442 of 449 Old 07-17-2016, 09:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Yes, that's the tool I meant. It works very well and is simple to use. But it'll soon be totally unnecessary as the free upgrades will be history.
post #443 of 449 Old 07-17-2016, 12:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
....W7 end of life might be another free period.
Well, we'll see.... But by then MSFT may feel that they've got all the mindshare they need for the new OS. They've certainly succeeded in getting W10 off the mark with a bang.
post #444 of 449 Old 07-17-2016, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Well, we'll see.... But by then MSFT may feel that they've got all the mindshare they need for the new OS. They've certainly succeeded in getting W10 off the mark with a bang.
Remember, W10 is to be the last windows version.

The subscriber mode of getting a less amount of money each month locked into every month has become the model for so much of modern business. It was a great boom to business when companies got the ability to just take money out of your checking account. I just counted eleven companies taking money out and one putting money in. There are four or five more I keep getting asked to make it automatic. I have stopped getting any paper from four and more that want to stop sending me paper. Looking at my check book I see that I am only paying one doctor with a paper check, and it takes months for him to cash them. It sure is a long distance from standing in line for two hours at the BofA in Santa Clara to cash my payroll check.

It may not be long before Microsoft takes out money from your checking account for Windows each month.

I was very surprised that much of my new "Smart TV" is locked into servers like Netflix which require a monthly charge.

SHF
post #445 of 449 Old 07-17-2016, 09:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

It may also be smart enough to play back your OTA .tp files when you're ready to put aside your MyHD.
post #446 of 449 Old 07-18-2016, 12:10 AM

Wink

Quote:
Remember, W10 is to be the last windows version.
The ..........
I was very surprised that much of my new "Smart TV" is locked into servers like Netflix which require a monthly charge.
SHF
A) They said that about XP didn't they? or 7?
B) That's creepy, each of the three security companies I work for use direct deposit for pay-cheques, as well as my government benefits.
Only the stubs arrive via snail mail.
Koodo (phone) has always been electronic/paperless and within the last year I went paperless with my ISP. The other utilities, Natural Gas and Electric/Water still come by paper but the latter from the City and some times are hand delivered, the city ones are just up the street, so I'll walk and get the teller's stamp for them. In the winter those I can do on-line via the Credit Union secure site as with the ISP but never have I given out pre-authorised payment, guess I am a bit of a control freak where money is concerned {the Scotsman in me I suppose}.

C) I still use computer monitors, but shop for ones that have each of HDMI, DVI and D-sub15 VGA inputs included, either manual or auto-switching, just not ready for 'Smart-TV' yet but haven't needed to purchase in three years.

Last edited by browncoat; 07-18-2016 at 12:19 AM.
post #447 of 449 Old 07-18-2016, 11:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
It may also be smart enough to play back your OTA .tp files when you're ready to put aside your MyHD.
"TS" files yes, files on my N.A.S. no.

Playing "TS" files from a computer turned on, what is the benefit? Both HDTV and HTPC must be using power.

SHF
post #448 of 449 Old 07-18-2016, 11:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by browncoat View Post
A) ...
C) I still use computer monitors, but shop for ones that have each of HDMI, DVI and D-sub15 VGA inputs included, either manual or auto-switching, just not ready for 'Smart-TV' yet but haven't needed to purchase in three years.
Both my old HDTV and the new one are used as monitors for the HTPC.

I found that two HDMI connectors and a component one fit my needs but the MyHD on the second HDMI connect does not work right and I have not taken the time to figure it out.

VLC Media player is doing all the playbacks now as Fusion is messed up and the MyHD VGA to HDMI only works slightly.

Hold off for an ATSC 3.0 HDTV is the best plan.

SHF
post #449 of 449 Old 07-19-2016, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Hold off for an ATSC 3.0 HDTV is the best plan.
SHF

Hhmmmm...this board doesn't have the two thumbs up emoticon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers