wake up my PC with my remote, how to do it? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 02-07-2007, 04:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I have the following components and I would like to make it work that I can wake up my HTPC with my remote control.
Can someone please explain, in not too difficult/technical language, what steps I need to walk through in order to make this work? thanks!

my hardware:
Logitech Harmony Remote 525
HTPC with Intel 915GUX motherboard and lastest BIOS version
USB-UIRT device

my software:
Windows XP with SP2
Girder 4
USB-UIRT plugin for Girder
Theatertek DVD software player

thanks again for all help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 02-07-2007, 11:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a URC MX-900 remote, USB-UIRT, and girder. I have the select key on my remote (on the main screen) programmed to trigger a keyboard enter. This wakes the computer for suspend.

1) Add a new command to girder. Have it send a keyboard Enter.
2) Add an eventstring to the command. Teach it a remote code.

Alternatively, if you have an IR keyboard (mine is RF), you can simply use the learn function on your remote to learn a key press (any key) from the keyboard.
post #3 of 10 Old 02-07-2007, 12:40 PM
Advanced Member

Should be pretty easy to do. The USB-UIRT has the ability to wake a computer from S3 sleep state. What you need to do:

1. Configure WinXP to allow a USB device to wake the computer. This involves a registry entry. By default, WinXP does not allow USB devices to wake from S3. Check out the following knowledge base page for the registry entry:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/841858/en-us
or just use the MCE standby tool:
http://www.xs4all.nl/~hveijk/mst/indexe.htm
You probably need to restart the computer after making this entry.

2. Assign a unique IR code to whatever button on your remote that you want to use to wake the computer. I don't know how difficult it is to do this on your Harmony remote. It just needs to be an IR code that you aren't using for other devices.

3. Configure the USB-UIRT to wake from S3. You need to use Girder to access the UIRT configuration. I will assume you know how to do this.

4. Teach that IR code to the UIRT.

That's it. You should now be able to wake the computer using the remote.

Charles
post #4 of 10 Old 02-07-2007, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olyar15 View Post

3. Configure the USB-UIRT to wake from S3. You need to use Girder to access the UIRT configuration. I will assume you know how to do this.

Probably not a good idea (to assume that). I have been using the USB-UIRT for years, but I never knew you could configure it to send a wake event to the computer. Any guidance on how this is done?
post #5 of 10 Old 02-07-2007, 07:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraziFuzzy View Post

Probably not a good idea (to assume that). I have been using the USB-UIRT for years, but I never knew you could configure it to send a wake event to the computer. Any guidance on how this is done?

Sure.

First, you need to install the Girder plugin for the USB-UIRT, which is available from the web site. Once enabled, you should see the following:

To make it easier to configure the UIRT, I create a new command and rename it to something descriptive. This is optional, since you can temporarily use an existing command to configure the USB-UIRT, as long as you remember to revert back to the previous command configuration. Whatever you do, go to the "plugin" tab and select the USB-UIRT plugin, then press the "setting" button:

This will open the USB-UIRT configuration dialog box. Click on the "configuration..." button (red arrow):

Then select the "remote wake-up" tab. Make sure the "Enable USB-UIRT wake up support" checkbox is checked (red arrow), then simply teach it a new remote code by pressing the "learn" button and pressing the corresponding button on your remote control. The USB-UIRT can learn up to 4 separate remote codes to wake up the PC. Once you are finished, close Girder and you are done.

You should now be able to wake the computer from S3, assuming you have already made the registry tweak, and that the motherboard is powering the USB ports.

Charles
post #6 of 10 Old 02-08-2007, 10:10 AM

just another (slightly more complicated) approach i made. it's probably not handy if you're using it with a tv, but in my case i'm using it in my theater and the time the htpc needs to boot the pj needs to start up.
i use a pronto and a matching rf internal switch. connected the switch to the mainboard pins. when i press ON on my pronto everything, including the htpc fires up this way (everything rf extended...)
regards Klaus
post #7 of 10 Old 02-08-2007, 10:21 AM

I have found that it is much easier to configure USB-UIRT to wake up your PC by using the utility that comes from USBUIRT. I don't have Girder and it works very well without the Girder. The utility I used is at

http://www.usbuirt.com/lrnhelper_0_0_5.zip

Unzip it and use the program within it. Use the Wake-up configuration menu and you can directly learn the IR command from Harmony which you want to be used for waking up your PC. I personally found this much easier to use than Girder method.

If your PC still does not wake up after this, make sure that USBUIRT is plugged into a USB plug that has "wake-up capability" - you may need to use the motherboard manual to figure out how to set up jumpers etc. so USB-UIRT gets enough power when your PC is suspended. I also needed to do USBBIOSX registry hacks and USB devices configuration in Device Manager before wake-up from S3 worked for me.

Osho
post #8 of 10 Old 02-10-2007, 02:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 24
thxz!
post #9 of 10 Old 02-27-2007, 04:17 PM

doesn't your mobo need to support wake on usb in order to have your pc wake up from S3 via a usb event?

I'm looking to upgrade to a hdpc but would like to make sure ..

I'm also using girder 4 and a USB UIRT
post #10 of 10 Old 03-01-2007, 08:11 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
hello everyone,

i have bit different problem.

I configured my HTPC to wake with Msft Remote, mouse or keyboard just fine. Also after 20min of inactivity to go to "StandBy". and itw working great.

My problem is:
i set the HTPC to record show, HTPC "wakes up" records the show but after recording its PC still running. I think because PC see's MCE running that is why not going to StandBye mode. Is there other way around or i have to use MCE Standby tool from:
http://www.xs4all.nl/~hveijk/mst/indexe.htm

Dude seriously!
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page