HTPC Newb Question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 02-13-2007, 09:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've been a Replay guy for years. I have two Showstoppers that I put larger HD's into and that's been getting me by for almost a decade. No monthly charge.... I'm lovin it. After poking around a bit I've decided my best bet might be a HTPC, er two of them actually.

One very nice one which can get HDTV and record the premium stations upstairs and a second one down in the kids area. I have a Pentium III I can use for the kids area and I'm going to use that project as a learning experience for the bigger one... upstairs.

I've read quite a few threads in this forum and I have to admit, its kind of boggling deciding where to begin - Although I can see that Vista may be my best bet. Is there an Idiots guide thread that I'm missing?

One of the problems I see down the road is that the TV upstairs uses a cable card. Hmmm, anyone built anything to accomidate that yet?

Thanks for any help.

Movie Buff Extraodinaire
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 02-13-2007, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
When you say premium stations? Things like HBO, Skin-a-max, ect... in HD?

If so that won't happen just yet, once Cable Card tuners are released (speculation is next month) then you'll be able to buy a Vista HTPC from manufactures like Dell, Gateway, and such and get up to two cable card tuners for a vista MCE machine.

But till then there is no (easy, cheap) way of DVRing premium HD content.

Also instead of building two HTPC's, you could do something like build one box, and get a media extender for the second TV (kids room)

How old are the kids? Do you have an xbox 360? if so you can build a Windows Media Center box throw some tuners into it and stream live and recorded content to a 360 extreamly easy.

- Josh
Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page