Antec Fusion - static causes reboots/freezes - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 02-14-2007, 05:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've just built my first HTPC (mainly to use the MCE in Vista to record OTA HD content). I'm using the Antec Fusion case teamed with a Gigabyte motherboard with an AMD 64x2 on it. The Antec has a black-painted steel case with an aluminum bezel. Trouble is quite a lot when I touch the case (when putting in a DVD say) I get a little static shock and the PC freezes.

Any suggestions on what I need to do to diagnose & fix this issue?

Thanks, Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 02-14-2007, 10:39 PM

I have this same case, and although I haven't had this problem, I have heard of someone else having the same issue. It should only be happening when you touch the front aluminum panel correct? The reason is that the front panel is not connected to the actual case by anything but plastic (ie bad conductor) and so the front panel is not ground with the case and power supply. What you need to do is find a way to either screw or attach a grounding wire from the front panel to the case (try taking one of the screws off of something connected to the front panel, and a screw somewhere in the actual case, and run a wire between them and screw them back in). This *should* work from what I know about grounding. It is quite ridiculous that you have to do this, but it only seems to affect some people, and its not hard to fix, so I guess its not too bad (considering how great the case is otherwise)
post #3 of 18 Old 02-14-2007, 11:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 128
IF grounding is the problem, then yes this should work. If you don't have a place to attach a wire to the front bezel, I recommend soldering it in an incospicous corner. Get a wire with a built in washer on the other end (or solder one, if you can/want) so that it slips on a screw, and then it can be slipped over ANY screw that attaches to the chassis.
post #4 of 18 Old 02-23-2007, 06:01 PM

Just noticed this thread, and just wanted to confirm that it does indeed sound like it's a grounding issue, and the suggestions that Equilibria and Kapone made should solve the problem.
post #5 of 18 Old 02-24-2007, 02:55 PM

I posted a thread on this same subject a week or two ago, no one replied

Anyways, I finally got sick of not being able to use the DVD drive on new machine without worrying about it shutting down. I cracked it open and here is what I came up with to fix this.

(Front bezel/plastic backing)

(inside the case)

As you can see I just took a piece of wire (the black one that looks oddly out of place) and attached it to one of the screws holding the front aluminum bezel to the plastic backing for it. I then ran this though the hole in the case for the other wires that go to the bezel (usb/firewire/audio) and attached that to the screw used to secure the plastic backing to the case. This provides a nice ground that is internal so you can't see it.

One problem that showed up from this however was the VFD bug that is on Antecs site. I just unhooked the VFD because it would get scrambled everytime I touched the front. Other than this, everything works great now.
post #6 of 18 Old 07-19-2007, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member

So you're saying by fixing one problem you created another? I am seriously considering this case for my build. Any others that have had problems and successfully fixed it? I would like to be able to use the VFD.
post #7 of 18 Old 12-21-2007, 08:02 PM

I had the same problem with what I thought was a new case from Newegg. Turns out Newegg was getting rid of their old stock in Oct/Nov 07 timeframe and I got one with no grounding cable. Newer cases have the grounding cable now. I did the same as sosuke3 and got rid of the zap but now the VFD does not work at all. Checked all the cables again for cable issues but didn't find any problems. Just have a blank VFD now. No fix from Antec customer support yet.
post #8 of 18 Old 12-21-2007, 09:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by decatab View Post

I had the same problem with what I thought was a new case from Newegg. Turns out Newegg was getting rid of their old stock in Oct/Nov 07 timeframe and I got one with no grounding cable. Newer cases have the grounding cable now. I did the same as sosuke3 and got rid of the zap but now the VFD does not work at all. Checked all the cables again for cable issues but didn't find any problems. Just have a blank VFD now. No fix from Antec customer support yet.

Let me know if Antec resolves this - it bugs me that an obvious design flaw like this was let go to production and there's no Antec-supplied fix.

Regards, David
post #9 of 18 Old 12-21-2007, 11:11 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
I know it's just a work around, but I always touch one of the other devices next to the htpc (e.g. the receiver), before touching the PC. That way I 'discharge' before touching the PC, and it won't shut down.
I somewhat doubt that Antec is fixing this on these legacy (=v1) cases.
post #10 of 18 Old 04-02-2008, 03:18 PM

Yeah, I have the same issues with my Antec Fusion v1, AND my Thermaltake LANBOX Lite. The Thermaltake has a metal front mesh panel surrounding the usb inputs and power/reset switches. Unfortunately here in CO we have lots of dry weather, and I build up lots of static walking around on the carpet. As the previous poster mentioned I touch the power supply case first before touching other stuff, but unfortunately I can't teach my 1 yr old to follow the same practice.

I wish the manufacturers would isolate these switches a bit better from the front metal panel. I have never had this problem with my other builds using front plastic panels and plastic faced switches.

I was thinking of grounding both panels and seeing if that would help. Now after reading about the VFD, I am a bit leery, but will still give it a try. Will let you know what happens.
post #11 of 18 Old 04-02-2008, 05:41 PM
Advanced Member

I'm not trying to make light of the problem but I thought this was a well known issue with the Fusion case. I've been searching for cases for a long long time now and well over a year ago there were threads here about the front bezel not being grounded and crashing the computer when touched. The problem was widespread but I seem to recall it being easily fixed by simply grounding the bezel as described above.

I do have to admit I hadn't heard of the VFD scrambling bug, but I didn't pay much attention overall to the fusion because I need a full ATX case. It's a shame too, its one of the nicest looking cases out there IMHO, but to have such a poor design that it crashes when touched you'd think Antec would fix it by now.
post #12 of 18 Old 10-05-2008, 10:15 PM

I have been conversing with Antec on this issue with the Fusion cases.
Unfortunately it's still an issue with their new Fusion Remotes. BUT if you re-earth the front bezel, the new LCDs they are using don't seem to scramble. Originally we thought the issue was to do with the USB ports in the front of the case, but this was because the USB ports were all the customers were touching.
Ill keep this forum posted on any changes.
post #13 of 18 Old 03-29-2009, 12:44 AM

Hi All,

Is anyone still having reboot problems with the V2 version of the Antec Fusion 430 case? I have the grounding wire but still have reboots when touching the front panel sometimes. Usually happens when plugging into the front USB ports or touching it in general. I even tried to run my own ground to a screw near the CD door and attached it to a screw near the HDD cage. I also tested for continuity with a volt meter. Anyone else seeing this with the V2? Any ideas what it could be?
post #14 of 18 Old 03-29-2009, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

my first one did and I had to exchange it for a second one. are you still within your return period?
post #15 of 18 Old 03-29-2009, 12:20 PM

I am outside of the return period from where I bought it but I think I should be within warranty period from Antec. After quickly reviewing their page looks like I would have to pay for shipping back to them and I would likely be out of a case for several weeks. What a PITA...
post #16 of 18 Old 03-29-2009, 07:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Yep static electricity owns my Antec as well. I might try this grounding wire you speak of.
post #17 of 18 Old 03-29-2009, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty2k1 View Post

Yep static electricity owns my Antec as well. I might try this grounding wire you speak of.

Too bad I have a V2 WITH the factory grounding wire. I still get resets from touching the front panel. I took it apart today and tested some points for continuity against the grounding wire connection on the inside of the chassis. Turns out the USB ports ARE grounded to the chassis so I picked another random screw on the inside of the front panel to add a second grounding wire and will hope it makes things better .
post #18 of 18 Old 03-29-2009, 08:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Happened to me once on my NSK2480 as I was plugging in a USB keyboard. Big shock and it shutdown. Never thought about it again until I saw this thread. I hardly ever touch it (use the remote for everything) and DVDs are on the HDD, so not a big deal for me.

BB

New wealth is created in 2 ways:
You dig it from the ground (mining and oil)
Or you grow it (fishing, farming and forestry).
Everything else is just processing what you dug up or grew.
Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page