anyone know how to extend wireless keyboard/mouse range? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #1 of 23 Old 02-16-2007, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've got a Logitech cordless desktop that apparently only has about a 3 foot range from the base unit. Any gadgets out there to extend that distance? I need about 20 feet out of it. I'm thinking there ought to be an rf repeater somewhere but I can't find it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 02-16-2007, 11:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 12
To get that kind of range, I think you're going to have to go bluetooth. I have a Logitech cordless desktop too. Love the keyboard, but the range is crap. Bluetooth should, in theory, give you at least 30 ft. Realistically, I can get almost that in my house with my cell phone and earpiece.
post #3 of 23 Old 02-16-2007, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

I also have a logitech cordless desktop. (optical version)

I've noticed that using nicad and nimh batteries *severly* cripples the range. If you put in some brand new high end alkalines you'll do much better. Also you have to play with where the receiver is to get any type of decent range. For me I get the best range with it on the floor and facing sideways to the rest of the room. If I put it in front of something metal that reflects the signals it helps too.

Sometimes I could get the keyboard and mouse to work 2 rooms away and other times I can't get 6 feet. I think it's cordless phones interfering or something.

Bottom line, these do pretty much suck range wise and I'm about to buy a Dinovo Edge set which is bluetooth and has a 30' plus range. The edge has built in L-Ion battery with a cradle to charge the keyboard and not have to remove batteries for charging, charges in 5 minutes enough for the whole day, basically fixes all the things I don't like about the cordless desktop. This set was cool in it's day, but it's time to move on.

Troy

The Non-Profit Home Theater Company will make your HTPC experience much easier.
Link for info on our first project
post #4 of 23 Old 02-16-2007, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Gyration makes keyboard/mouse "pro" combos that work supposedly over several 10s of feet.

Another low cost solution which may be not feasible in your case is to simply extent the receiver cable (USB or P/S2) for the receiver. That's how I solved a problem with a PC located in the adjacent room.

____
Axel

post #5 of 23 Old 02-16-2007, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter

The only problem with the usb cable extension is that the cradle/receiver also needs power and there isnt any where I want to sit. I'll probably surf around for a bluetooth set or one of the Gyration sets. Thanks for everyone's comments. Seems like all my question end up with, "just spend the damn money and get the right thing to begin with!" LOL
post #6 of 23 Old 02-16-2007, 02:27 PM

I've had logitech wireless stuff b4 2 and I agree with PCcinema that placement of that rcvr makes all the difference in the world. With my metal and glass desk sometimes the mouse would miss a beat sometimes just 3 ft away until I found a good placement for it. That range seems messed up is your cradle plugged straight into the PC or a non-powered hub? I could type my kitchen upstairs from my den , of course I couldn't see the screen but that was just a test. Surely u can find a better place for the cradle away fro the desk using an usb extension maybe out of sight at least just to test if it works.

My friend has the first BlueTooth Keyboard and it is nice; shallow key travel takes some getting used to. I wouldn't mind having one to type on my new TV since my G15 is not wireless (which I never found too much use for on a kb) but is lighted which I wouldn't trd.
post #7 of 23 Old 02-16-2007, 02:27 PM

Plug the receiver into a powered usb hub.

If I were Wilford Brimley, I'd like oatmeal that much too.
post #8 of 23 Old 07-21-2008, 10:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
does anyone know if this USB over CAT5 extender will work wehn plugged into a switch or does it have to be a point-to-point connection?

http://www.laikeet.com/catalog/produ...roducts_id=810

i have a need to extend a Logitech 27MHz kb/mouse combo and if i ran a cable under the floor, i could put the receiver right next to me on my end table. otherwise, if the extender in the link above will work over the network, i can plug one side into the switch behind my TV and the other end into a D-Link wireless bridge...then put the receiver on my end table.

thanks.

"Why is The Flash in a hot tub?"
post #9 of 23 Old 07-21-2008, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
post #10 of 23 Old 07-21-2008, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter

I wound up getting a PS3 Keybaord/trackpad combo at walmart for 25 bucks. It definitely has the range and is nice to not need the mouse. Works for simple browsing or picking out movies. It was a logitech and worked on the pc just fine.

I would think the usb extender has to be point to point. If you hook it up to a hub there's no guarantee the signal will pass through like it should. Then you're also talking about a wireless bridge.... Best not to confuse the situation completely. Take a look at the PS3 keyboard/trackpad combo and see if it fits your needs. If not then you'll just have to come up with a prettier way of running the cable straight through.
post #11 of 23 Old 07-21-2008, 11:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by umdivx View Post

http://www.usbwifi.orconhosting.net.nz/

i've seen ppl use methods on that website for blue tooth, that might help you out.

yeah, i've seen that out there...i was really hoping to find an out-of-the-box solution...i ain't really handy with a soldering gun .

post #12 of 23 Old 07-23-2008, 08:46 AM
Advanced Member

so, i take it there's not a non-soldering way to extend RF?

has anyone ever used that USB extender over CAT5 i mentioned above?

post #13 of 23 Old 07-23-2008, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 21
RF-based cordless keyboards and mice have terrible range, and always have. It's just not the same as RF-based remotes that go through a couple of rooms worth of walls.

Bluetooth is the best bet for the 10-20' range. I've seen IR options as well that had decent range as long as you have good line-of-sight, but I haven't looked to see if they're still available recently.
post #14 of 23 Old 07-23-2008, 11:33 AM

I had a Logitech Wave Desktop set ... the position of the IR Receiver plays a HUGE part...

I place it in upright position .. even less than 2 ft is a problem. And I am so frustrated that I almost going out to buy a bluetooth set but reviews of several also do not give good rating.

When I accidenly shift the IR receiver to its side (facing towards me).. suddenly the range is much better ... at least 4 ft from me now ... now I could sit at my coffee table use my keyboard and mouse. Couldnt use it from the couch. still too far.

This show that the IR type (2.4Ghz type) just cannot make it.
post #15 of 23 Old 07-23-2008, 02:03 PM
Advanced Member

well, apparently the Adesso WKB-3000UB kb with optical trackball from Amazon.com works quite well...i may have to give this one a shot:

http://www.amazon.com/Adesso-Wireles.../dp/B000JJM7S0

post #16 of 23 Old 07-23-2008, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member

i use...

Cables To Go - 26686 - 3M (9.8ft) USB A Male to A Female Extension Cable

to

Cables To Go 7 Port USB 2.0 Hub

to

Logitech Cordless TrackMan Wheel

+ On-Screen Keyboard
post #17 of 23 Old 07-23-2008, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I just bought the cheapest Logitech Wireless Mouse/Keyboard I could find and use a USB extender for the dongle.

Works great.

It was like $40 @ Walmart for the wireless keyboard and mouse, plus included Desktop Speakers (although I don't really need them )
post #18 of 23 Old 07-23-2008, 08:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcCinema View Post

I'm about to buy a Dinovo Edge set which is bluetooth and has a 30' plus range. The edge has built in L-Ion battery with a cradle to charge the keyboard and not have to remove batteries for charging, charges in 5 minutes enough for the whole day...

Agreed. Did a lot of research and bought a diNovo Edge yesterday. Didn't want to spend a 100 bucks on a keyboard, but I looked at ALL the alternatives and this seems to fit the build nice. Seems to have great range, great battery life, great build quality, great looks, eliminates the need for a mouse, very thin, ligthweight....yeah...for all that I think 100 bucks is about worth it.

===================================
My Riser | My LED Star Ceiling | My HTPC Build
post #19 of 23 Old 09-20-2008, 12:32 AM

I have had problems with both RF and BT based wireless mouse and keyboard ranges. And I have found a solution that works for all of the brands I have used, including Microsoft, logitech, cheap knockoffs, etc.

Warning - you could damage your receiver module doing this process, but in general, it is pretty easy not to damage it.

The steps are...

Open the module.

Determine the wiring of the antenae. On some modules the antenae is nothing more than a large trace on the PCB. In others it may be actual wire. Whatever the case may be, it is the same procedure to increase range.

Get a length of some thin copper wire. The more wire you use, the longer your range (and I have used very long wire in the past - about 6 feet was my longest).

Solder the copper wire to the ends of whatever looks like the antenae. If the antenae has only one connection, then solder only one end of the wire to it. If the antenae has more than one connection, solder each end of the wire to these connections.

That's it. You can mess around with changing the positioning of the wire to achieve best results. You will know right away whether or not it is working as you will see significant improvements in range and responsiveness. If you don't, then the wire is not connected properly.

One of the best positions I found for RF modules was to run the wire straight up the wall in one of the corners.

Anyway, if you don't mind cracking the case, this process really works and its basically free (as long as you don't destroy your module).

REgards,

Rodney
post #20 of 23 Old 02-25-2009, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

I was going to start a new thread, but I figured I would post my strategum here. YMMV, but I had great success with the following:

I simply made sure there was good space on all sides for my USB receiver. Then, I took the radio antenna that came with my Yamaha receiver and wrapped the loose end several times around my USB receiver. I then stretched the antenna up and hung it higher on my desk so that the plug (which would have normally connected to the back of the AVR) was unobstructed. This essentially doubled my range. I was working with the Logitech MX 3200 keyboard mouse combo.

Good luck.
post #21 of 23 Old 02-25-2009, 07:48 AM

Ironically, I have the logitech cordless ex100 (el cheapo $29 special at target) and I have no issues using the keyboard or mouse from my couch, 11' from the receiver. However, that Dinovo Edge looks sharp! Time to upgrade? :P
post #22 of 23 Old 10-22-2011, 09:21 AM

I used to have only a 3 foot range with my wireless keyboard. I used a generic USB extension cable to reposition the dongle attached to the computer. I think it also helps with the ground plane for the antenna, because it now works in excess of 30 feet.
post #23 of 23 Unread Today, 10:34 PM

Liked: 0
Question Potential alternate solution

I discovered this thread because I had a similar question. I wanted to use my wireless Logitech keyboard and mouse down in my basement while accessing my media server upstairs. My media server is attached to a display downstairs via a long redmere HDMI cable. I wasn't able to get the wireless keyboard and mouse to work due to the distance. However, the I did find a free app in Apple's App Store called RemoteMouse, the application works on PCs and Macs. The application allows you to use to use your mobile device as a remote keyboard/mouse for use on the computer you want to access. While I'm not aware of the application's limitations, it did meet my need.

This is my first posting.
After personally benefiting for so long from the information on this site, I hope this information proves useful to someone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page