8800gts fits in which HTPC cases? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 02-26-2007, 08:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I searched threads for days looking for a definative answer and found nothing side from a few suggestions that it "Might" fit. I'd like to see if any of you guys ACTUALLY have one in a case thats under $300. Sooooo... does anyone here have an 8800gts running in an HTPC case and if so, which case? I like the silverstone case, especially the L20m and the L03 i believe, but want to get a definative answer on whether or not it will fit. I really don't want one of the ones with the big touch screen in front, but i don't mind the VFD though.

I looked through your threads here and haven't found any definative answers and i've had a hard time finding any specific measurements from the retail graphics cards makers. I just bought an 8800gts and it is big, but no bigger than my 7800gts thats in my desktop.

Thanks for any help.

**EDIT** yes, i read the sticky above about HTPC case recomendations, and while there is an 8800 listed, it does not say which cases it fits. It does however say that the 7950gts fits an L20,17, 18 Silverstone case so if someone can tell me if the 8800gts and the 7950 is the same size, I could assume that it will fit??!! yikes, so confusing. I even googled the dimensions of cards and got Zilch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 02-26-2007, 08:56 PM

I have the Silverstone GD01MX ( http://www.silverstonetek.com/products-gd01mx.htm ) and the 8800GTS fits fine.

System:

E6600 @ 3.2Ghz ( w/ Zalman 9500AT cooler )
Gigabyte DQ6
Geil 2GB PC6400
Leadtek 8800GTS
Corsair 620w PSU
2 x Samsung Spinpoint t 500GB

Has space for two optical drives, too.

CDJay
post #3 of 13 Old 02-26-2007, 09:02 PM - Thread Starter

THANKS for answering. I like that case. Is that front lcds brightness adjustable? The only hesitation i have about that is how bright that looks, my home theatre is all black with two small vfds on the dvd player and receiver. My cable box is WAY to bright. I put smoke tape over its plastic clear guard to dimm it. Just worried that the brighness of that thing (HTPC case) might throw the whole look off. I want to go stealth. I do like the overall look of that case.

Thanks again for answering!
post #4 of 13 Old 02-26-2007, 10:50 PM

Shuttle SN25P, although its on the older 939 chipset.
post #5 of 13 Old 02-26-2007, 10:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: guarding my retirement igloo...with a McMillan TAC-50 long range sniper rifle
The 8800GTS will fit most Silverstone cases. Just beware with the newer Silverstone cases that uses one long/large HDD cage, you may not be able to max out the # of HDDs. The 8800GTS have one power plug at the end, The GTX has two on the top, but the GTX will have probms fitting in most HTPC cases. One case that is classified as a "HTPC" tower, the Mozart TX will take any vid card out today. I run a GTX in mine, but the probm with case is that its large and finding a place to put it has been a pain. As far as stealth , just don't buy a case with LCD/VFD and don't connect the power led. The HDD led is more then enuf when the case is on and running and for people that have a LCD/VFD don't even like the HDD led, I don't connected it either.

You do not stop playing because you get old...
You get old because you stop playing.
post #6 of 13 Old 02-27-2007, 06:20 AM

barley fits into a x11
post #7 of 13 Old 02-27-2007, 09:01 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks to all of you who answered. Slothy, whats the x11??

I'm gonna pm the thread starter of the Sticky about HTPC cases and recommend that he look at this thread and list some KNOWN TO FIT cases for the 8800, because that thread rocks. Just needs a little update to be current.

thanks again everyone!
post #8 of 13 Old 02-27-2007, 09:06 AM

post #9 of 13 Old 03-07-2007, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter

CDJ,

I went with the case you named. LOVE IT. Thanks. I did replace those damn loud fans with two Zalmans though.

Now I'm hoping they get busy on a quieter 8800 cooler.

Thanks to everyone who posted.
post #10 of 13 Old 04-14-2008, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWNKAKE View Post

CDJ,

I went with the case you named. LOVE IT. Thanks. I did replace those damn loud fans with two Zalmans though.

Now I'm hoping they get busy on a quieter 8800 cooler.

Thanks to everyone who posted.

I'm thinking about getting the same case. Howz the LCD ? Is it too bright ?

[color=Blue]
psn id: hunter4life
Live Gamertag: huntre4life (notice "re" not "er" in hunter)
post #11 of 13 Old 04-14-2008, 08:46 AM
lip

I have a silverstone LC17 and the 8800GTS fits in it.
However, if you are wanting to do Bluray with that card, beware as it has no onboard HD capability so your processor will do the job.
I've got an AMD 3800+ processor and it works fine for HD-DVD but the newer blurays with the new codecs they are using (AVC or whatever) push my cpu to 100% and make the movies unwatchable.
Regards,
LIP
post #12 of 13 Old 04-14-2008, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 137
I have the LC14M and the 8800GTS does NOT fit, at least not in the primary PCI-E 16X slot. Many motherboards have the SATA connectors near the secondary PCI-E 16X slot and the fan housing on an 8800GTS tends to obliterate the ports. I know you were asking which cases it fit but I thought you might want to klnow which ones to eliminate from consideration seeing as how someone said that it will fit most Silverstone cases. If you plan on using water cooling or your motherboard has the SATA slots located where the card won't interfere with the 2nd slot then you should be able to get it to fit. Otherwise, consider a different case or find a motherboard that will work with it.
post #13 of 13 Old 04-14-2008, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm certain that an 8800GTS can fit in an NSK-2480/Fusion as I have a 9600GT in one. The length is the same and whether dual slot fits is solely dependent on your configuration, as with any case.

-Jason

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Almost "complete".
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-

SONY quality and customer service FTMFL
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page