8300HD to PC - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 03-01-2007, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've heard of people expanding the storage on their 8300HD HD-DVR cable boxes using external USB drives. Is it also possible to download the content to a PC HD for viewing away from the cable box?

I'm probably naive, but I was hoping to use a USB or 1394 hookup to download the content onto my Dell E1705.

Also, I've got Cox coming out to check out some lousy HD signal quality tomorrow and I'm concerned they're gonna want to change out my DVR box. I have a ton of shows on there. Is there a quick way to off-load it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 03-01-2007, 06:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
As far as I know some people hooked up SATAe (external SATA) HDD drive and often it even worked, giving them extra space for recordings. I never heard of anybody using USB drive but maybe I missed it somehow. To record on PC you would need firewire, but I don't think too many people were successful, I know it doesn't work on mine, even if it works with my very old Sony cable box. Again, I don't think USB can be used for recording purpose at all. And don't expect hooking up the hard drive to SA box, record some shows and then bring it to computer, they use some proprietary file system and files are probably encrypted, unless somebody broke that as well. There are large threads in DVR section dealing with both issues but I haven't keep track of them lately.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page