equipment check - compatibility and preferences - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 03-08-2007, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I've been quietly assembling parts for an HTPC for some time since my husbands birthday was coming up and I was planning to buy an LCD HDTV to replace our aging monstrosity. Then woot had the nerve to put the Infocus back up for $400ar on a day when I happened to notice, and I've had to move the schedule up.

I have a dell E521 I picked up cheaply, that came with a crappy motherboard (SATA only, 2 PCI and one PCI express) and an AMD x2 3800+. I have an nvidia 7300LS, a truly ancient ATI capture card (ATI TV WONDER PRO 109-68300-30,) a CMI8738 sound card, 2 gigs of 533mhz DDR2, a couple of 80 gig SATA drives and one 500 gig SATA drive, and a copy of XP MCE.

We get the everything non-hd pack from Dish, and I haven't a clue what comes in our cable line with our RoadRunner. I'm interested in an OTA antenna/card, but since the IN72 isn't HD, I don't know that its worth it.

The eventual plan is to upgrade the mobo to give me more PCI slots and set it up as a linux box with multiseat capability, but since I have no experience with Linux (and no time) I'm probably going to set it up with windows initially, probably with partitions to make the later upgrade less painful.

Oy, that was long - my apologies. I'm just looking to see if I have all the parts to put together a decent DVR system for now, and if there are any recs from the pros on the process. Thanks guys =)
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page