Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 1315 Old 04-06-2007, 11:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by GamingDoc View Post

I opened up the case, and there was loose stick of RAM rattling around inside as well as loose screw.

Ouch. I have visions of the old Samsonite commercials where suitcases are slammed and blammed in a cage with an angry gorilla. Only now the suitcases are computer boxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkennedy96 View Post

In Vista, try opening Network. In there, you will see your DCT. Double click on the DCT and it will open a web browser interface to the card.

How interesting! I had no idea there was an embedded http server.

If only I had been one of the lucky ones to get a system shipped before the ATI shipping hold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 1315 Old 04-06-2007, 01:58 PM

GamingDoc,

I'd highly recommend you make sure that analog cable is working before even messing with CableCARD. Comcast doesn't need to be involved in that porition assuming you have a live coax connected.
post #453 of 1315 Old 04-06-2007, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_j_a View Post

GamingDoc,

I'd highly recommend you make sure that analog cable is working before even messing with CableCARD. Comcast doesn't need to be involved in that porition assuming you have a live coax connected.

Is there something else I should check besides just plugging in the cable to a different TV? I did this, and I was able to pick up the basic cable stations.
post #454 of 1315 Old 04-06-2007, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamingDoc View Post

Is there something else I should check besides just plugging in the cable to a different TV? I did this, and I was able to pick up the basic cable stations.

I meant that your DCT can act as an analog cable tuner card fine (it actually has a ATI TV Wonder 550 inside it). I would try setting Media Center with the DCT as an analog tuner only. Once that works you can move on to adding the CableCARD and activating it for digital cable.
post #455 of 1315 Old 04-06-2007, 09:52 PM

Quote:

Gamingdoc,

In Vista, try opening Network. In there, you will see your DCT. Double click on the DCT and it will open a web browser interface to the card. On that page, is a tab for TUNER. Click on Tuner. If that page will open, do you see numbers for signal strength and noise?

I have two DCTs, one was bad initially and the Tuner page would not even display for that card. I replaced it and everything worked like a charm.

Yes, there are frequency numbers and the whatnot in the boxes. Does this mean that I can assume the DCT card is functional?
post #456 of 1315 Old 04-06-2007, 10:03 PM

It sounds like you should be able to set-up basic cable viewing through the media center. The ATI / DCT Guide has the basic steps:

In Media Center:

1. Go to Tasks & scroll to the Left to Settings

2. Select TV and then Select TV Signal

3. Click Set Up TV Signal (select yes if asked affecting TV recording)

4. Click Next to begin the set-up. Answer each question and go through to the end.

This should give you basic cable.
post #457 of 1315 Old 04-06-2007, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_j_a View Post

I meant that your DCT can act as an analog cable tuner card fine (it actually has a ATI TV Wonder 550 inside it). I would try setting Media Center with the DCT as an analog tuner only. Once that works you can move on to adding the CableCARD and activating it for digital cable.

Yes, I've tried that too. As I go through setting up the TV signal it says that it is detecting a digital cable signal and if I ltry auto set it up from there I end up getting no picture. Also, if I configure the signal manually just for analog, I still get no picture. I wonder if since I have a digital cable package from Comcast that there are no analog channels to sense, though I'n not sure since all the local channels and such are included in the package. Should it still be working despite this?
post #458 of 1315 Old 04-06-2007, 10:19 PM

Quote:

It sounds like you should be able to set-up basic cable viewing through the media center. The ATI / DCT Guide has the basic steps:

In Media Center:

1. Go to Tasks & scroll to the Left to Settings

2. Select TV and then Select TV Signal

3. Click Set Up TV Signal (select yes if asked affecting TV recording)

4. Click Next to begin the set-up. Answer each question and go through to the end.

This should give you basic cable.

You'd think it would work now wouldn't you, but it doesn't. After I set it up like that, or manually for just an analog signal, when I try to view live tv the image goes blank, though at the bottom it lists the channel and the name of the show that should be there....just no picture. After a few seconds the message "No TV signal for this channel could be detected....blah, blah, blah..."
post #459 of 1315 Old 04-06-2007, 11:10 PM

What signal strength and what SNR did you see on the Tuner tab of the DCT?
post #460 of 1315 Old 04-06-2007, 11:42 PM

Quote:

What signal strength and what SNR did you see on the Tuner tab of the DCT?

Signal Strength: 41 dBmV
SNR : 28 dB
post #461 of 1315 Old 04-07-2007, 10:38 AM

Inside Media Center, have you gone into tuner diagnostics (under Tasks, TV)?
post #462 of 1315 Old 04-07-2007, 11:58 AM

GamingDoc,

You have removed the CableCARD from the DCT right? If you get channels on that line with a regular TV then they must also be broadcasting analog to your house. Did you set up the guide for analog/basic cable in your area? Mine shows two for my cable provider (analog and digital). Don't pick the digital unless the CableCARD is in and working. For analog only, just pick the the basic.

Can you get over the air HD at your house? If so, you can also try hooking up an antenna to the DCT and see if it will work as an OTA tuner. All of these worked for me when I was messing around before the CableCARD got installed.
post #463 of 1315 Old 04-08-2007, 09:34 AM

Has anyone received the following: "The upgrade of your security components was incomplete. You will not be able to watch premium or high definition content until the upgrade is successful?"

And then when you try to upgrade... It attempts to connect to the internet and quickly returns letting you know the "upgrade" was incomplete. ???
post #464 of 1315 Old 04-08-2007, 09:49 AM

New fun on the install front... As I had finally got everything setup I moved the computer to its final location, and when I reconnected everything - no TV!

If I go to TV in MCE or if I try to setup TV Signal, I am told I have no tuner present. I tried repeating this process with and without a CableCArd installed. I checked around, following some of the checks that Chris had suggested on my initial install (such as reinstalling the drivers for the DCT), all to no avail. The only clue that something isn't right is that in the Network window the DCT is listed, but the icon is different than before (now it shows the generic windows device icon) and the name includes "(safe)" in the title. I am guessing this is a good hint, but I cannot for the life of me get the device out of its "safe" mode.

The only thing that I think I may have done wrong is after the fact I realized that before I disconnected the power cord the computer was in Sleep mode, not completely shutdown. While it gave me the "windows improper shutdown" message, I can't see why this would throw the DCT for a loop - my process mimics a power outage - which I believe a computer should be able to handle.

Thoughts anyone?
post #465 of 1315 Old 04-08-2007, 03:24 PM

DaveSD,

Have you tried going into Device Manager & removing the device, rebooting and letting it reinstall? This works with other devices in similar situations, but I do not know what it will do with a DCT.
post #466 of 1315 Old 04-08-2007, 05:59 PM

[quote=mkennedy96]DaveSD,

Have you tried going into Device Manager & removing the device, rebooting and letting it reinstall? This works with other devices in similar situations, but I do not know what it will do with a DCT.[/QUOTE

I did unistall and reinstall the device in device manager, but I cannot reboot in between. As soon as I remove the device it detects new hardware and installs the driver before I can reboot. Is there a setting burried somewhere to prevent this?

I guess I could open the case and physically disconnect the card and reboot - but I will wait on Chris to go to that extreme - besides, there has to be a better way.
post #467 of 1315 Old 04-09-2007, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter

I'll be adding my install data soon. The VM system arrived at the depot 30 minutes away Friday night at ~10:30pm...90 minutes after they closed & I could have picked it up. So, its out being delivered today. I ordered digital tuners, but I won't be adding CableCard for at least a few weeks due to my availability, unless I can arrange a Saturday install.

I'd again like to thank all the friendly folk at VM, they helped my try to pickup my system Friday at the UPS depot...the only problem was UPS's timing. VM even called me on Saturday to see if I had received it...GREAT SERVICE GUYS!
post #468 of 1315 Old 04-09-2007, 12:13 PM

I was thinking of putting 2 of these in one of the intel based systems, HighPoint RocketRAID 2322 PCI-Express x4 SATA II RAID Controller. And feelings on compatibility.
post #469 of 1315 Old 04-09-2007, 01:15 PM

Update from VM - "(safe)" equals dead card, so for me there is no TV until AMD fixes their issue. Based on what appeared to fry my DCT, I suggest being very careful with sleep mode/cycling the power.
post #470 of 1315 Old 04-09-2007, 01:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSD View Post

Update from VM - "(safe)" equals dead card, so for me there is no TV until AMD fixes their issue. Based on what appeared to fry my DCT, I suggest being very careful with sleep mode/cycling the power.

Yeah, that's a really strange thing - we fried both of our external tuners but that was by having the USB connected with no power. I've never seen the internal tuners do that since the power and USB are basically tied together due to the internal nature of the product. Definitely a head scratcher and I'm following up with AMD on it...
post #471 of 1315 Old 04-09-2007, 02:30 PM

I applaud you guys at VM for doing your best here with an obviously flawed AMD product. It's a shame that the one and only CableCard implementation has as many bugs as it does. Hopefully future revisions will iron out all these issues.
post #472 of 1315 Old 04-10-2007, 06:35 AM

I got my system up and running and my CableCards all installed. I then found a weird interaction between my receiver (Pioneer Elite VSX-84TXSi) and my TV (Samsung HLR6167W, 720p) and my Video Card (VISIONTEK ATI X1600 HDMI). I get HDCP drop out when they are all inline, but when i bypass the TV or the receiver, the system works fine.

First off a little background. I bought the system knowing that I would replace the video card with an HDMI card. When i plug my HDMI cable directly into the TV, smooth as silk. When I turn off the TV, the sound from my Computer over the HDMI card is smooth as well. But when I have the TV turned on and the receiver in line. Drop out every 3 seconds or so.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this?
post #473 of 1315 Old 04-10-2007, 06:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axlrod View Post

I got my system up and running and my CableCards all installed. I then found a weird interaction between my receiver (Pioneer Elite VSX-84TXSi) and my TV (Samsung HLR6167W, 720p) and my Video Card (VISIONTEK ATI X1600 HDMI). I get HDCP drop out when they are all inline, but when i bypass the TV or the receiver, the system works fine.

First off a little background. I bought the system knowing that I would replace the video card with an HDMI card. When i plug my HDMI cable directly into the TV, smooth as silk. When I turn off the TV, the sound from my Computer over the HDMI card is smooth as well. But when I have the TV turned on and the receiver in line. Drop out every 3 seconds or so.

I've seen wonky performance with HDMI receiver passthrough and the Asus M2A-VM HDMI which passes audio as well. I had to pipe directly to the TV - wonky.
post #474 of 1315 Old 04-10-2007, 07:27 AM

Hey Chris,

Any word on the Firmware update for the analog/digital Scientific-Atlanta CableCard Issues?
post #475 of 1315 Old 04-10-2007, 07:35 AM

Quote:

I got my system up and running and my CableCards all installed. I then found a weird interaction between my receiver (Pioneer Elite VSX-84TXSi) and my TV..

You may want look into this.
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pn...940998,00.html
post #476 of 1315 Old 04-10-2007, 07:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Hey Chris,

Any word on the Firmware update for the analog/digital Scientific-Atlanta CableCard Issues?

Still end of April according to AMD.
post #477 of 1315 Old 04-10-2007, 07:53 AM

What is the current firmware date? I saw an article on Anandtech that showed a firmware date of mid Feb. Do you know if that was a Beta Firmware?

Anandtech Article
post #478 of 1315 Old 04-10-2007, 09:13 AM

Liked: 11
My new Velocity Micro PC with dual DCTs arrived yesterday and the Cablecards were installed this morning. No significant problems so far. See the following detailed posts:

http://thunor.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!71C238B5E0E3724D!236.entry

http://thunor.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!71C238B5E0E3724D!235.entry
post #479 of 1315 Old 04-10-2007, 09:28 AM
Advanced Member

Music to my ears.

On another note, we just got our OCUR bios from Asus for our AMD platform so we'll ramp that up ASAP.
post #480 of 1315 Old 04-10-2007, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWAnderson View Post

My new Velocity Micro PC with dual DCTs arrived yesterday and the Cablecards were installed this morning. No significant problems so far. See the following detailed posts:

http://thunor.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!71C238B5E0E3724D!236.entry

http://thunor.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!71C238B5E0E3724D!235.entry

I read your posts. The reason your old LCD is working is because your using it via VGA analog connection. If it was a DVI panel without HDCP it wouldn't have worked. Are you getting full 1080i resolution on your HD channels with this setup? It was rumored that it downsamples HD to 480 or 540p when outputting protected content over VGA.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page