Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Centerville, OH
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It may be time for a new thread for DCT Questions and answers.
Alright, this is where we are at today....
Both tuners and CableCards are working correctly (or as correctly as the Scientific-Atlanta cards work under the current firmware).
I got a call from the service tech that came to my house on Sunday as I was walking in my home last evening (5pm). He wanted to try everything we couldn't try while he was on scene the day before. We confirmed that all the system data (Host ID and Card ID) were recorded and enter correctly in their (Time Waner's) system. After that he hit both cards 3 or 4 times to no avail. We un-paired both cards (which is strange becasue i was recording and HBO-HD movie at the time and it never skipped a beat), and repaired. Both cars re-paired with no problems ("Auth by CP"). I still couldn't get a picture from the first tuner. I looked at the network traffic (using the sidebar plug-in network gadget) in real time and found that the card was passing the stream data to the system. When I would tune to an encripted channel, the word "error" would replace the word "inserted" in the ATI Diagnostic screen that comes up under the "Card" tab. No matter what we tried, nothing corrected the condition. At this point, TW gave up and scheduled another tech to bring two new cards to me Tuesday after 5pm.
At this point I called VM tech support to see if they had any idea's. The first thing the concierge told me was that there wasn't much that he would be able to do for me and the ATi had Filed a lawsuit against the company that made the cards for them. (This is the second time I have heard this. Chris, is this true and can you clarify this for everyone?) He talked to the DCT guru that was on the line with someone else and told me to take the working card out of the system and reboot with only the "BAD" tuner and CableCARD installed. I did this and the same symptoms persisted; No picture but good network bandwidth from the card. I shut down, reinstalled the other card (I did swap the USB bus that each card was attached to on the Mother board, and physically switched the locations inside the case to try and eliminated those as possible causes for the problem) and rebooted. Same problem. At this point, the concierge took my phone number and told me that the tech guru would call me later in the evening (he had a meeting to get to after the phone call he was currently on).
After hanging up with VM's concierge, I was going to give up, but i decided to try one last thing before i gave up and watched Drive on FOX. On a hunch, and for no good reason, I decide to take the cards out of both tuners and switch them to the other systems. I knew that this wouldn't work, but i wanted to make sure that both cars weren't paired to the same Tuner (I have no idea how this would have happened, but the day before I found out that the working card and tuner set had been entered in TW's system with the Host ID and Card ID reversed, so i figured what the heck). When I went to the Diagnostic screen and brought up the card data, I got "Waiting for CP," which is what I expected. So I switched them back. AND THEN A MIRACLE HAPPENED. After about 5 minutes, both cards were happy to back in their proper homes, and BOTH started working.
I have no idea why it worked, but it did.
I do think we need to start a Thread just for DCT Tips and Trikes. Almost everything we do to make these cards work right now is a Trick, so maybe a list of what has worked for others in the past.
I canceled my Tech appointment for tomorrow, and the cards didn't stop working, so for now, I feel safe.