Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMiller View Post

Chris, can you confirm this?

If I install two ATI Digital Cable Tuners - one with a cablecard and one without:
  • Would the recordings made with the ATI Digital Cable Tuner without the cablecard be free of DRM and usable on other computers even though a cablecard is in the other tuner?
  • Will the media center software know which tuner to use for which channels? I would want to always use the one without the cablecard for the unencrypted channels unless I was recording two programs at the same time. I would want it to use the one with the cablecard for any of the encrypted channels.

I assume Velocity Micro would sell me a second external Digital Cable Tuner if I called to order one. Is this correct?

I do not have answers for those scenarios - but if you purchased a system that is digital cable ready and want to buy a tuner down the road, that is no problem.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 1315 Old 05-04-2007, 06:45 AM

Chris,

I really hate to be a PITA with all of this, but by "soon" are we talking hours, days, weeks, (heaven forbid months) to get the Firmware. In talking to AMD/ATi about this, they pushed support back to the OEM's. Heck they were kind of surprised that I was even in possession of two DCT's. It's just a little disappointing that AMD/ATi has shirked there responsibility to the public on this one. If the fix existes, and is approved by CableLabs, get it to the people.
post #633 of 1315 Old 05-04-2007, 06:49 AM
Advanced Member

AMD just stated that we will be able to download the firmware early next week...then we can get it out to you guys.

post #634 of 1315 Old 05-04-2007, 07:19 AM
Advanced Member

Chris, in the Official CableCard Thread we're discussing a possible workaround for the fact that DCTs encrypt clear channels. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&#post10450875

Would you be willing to test it on a Velocity Micro PC? (That obviously goes for any of your customers, too, -- I just figured you guys were most likely to have the necessary hardware sitting around.)
post #635 of 1315 Old 05-04-2007, 07:52 AM
Advanced Member

Yup, as soon as we get more hardware. =)

post #636 of 1315 Old 05-04-2007, 12:52 PM

Chris, I currently have a 2TB Network drive that I store all of my Recorded TV to. If I were to purchase your cable card system can I still have MCE record directly to the network drive and not the local drive?
post #637 of 1315 Old 05-04-2007, 01:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryDGordon View Post

Chris, I currently have a 2TB Network drive that I store all of my Recorded TV to. If I were to purchase your cable card system can I still have MCE record directly to the network drive and not the local drive?

I believe that other members here have done that with success. I have a NAS drive here and when I get more tuners I'll map a drive to it and verify for you unless someone else can pipe in with their experience.

post #638 of 1315 Old 05-04-2007, 03:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryDGordon View Post

With the correct hack its possible (check thegreenbutton.com), but its not usually recommended. If you record to your local hard drive, there is only one potention failure (the pc) that would prevent the recording. Going strait to NAS, if the pc, the NAS, or the network have problems you could loose/damage your recording.

However, there are several apps which will move the files to your NAS when they are through recording & you can easily setup a view which will allow playback from your NAS.
post #639 of 1315 Old 05-04-2007, 07:25 PM

Did anyone else get the DRM update notice today? I couldn't watch TV until the DRM was updated by connecting to the internet, then had all sorts of problems:

1) After the DRM was updated, the problem continued. I decided to reboot.
2) After rebooting, whenever I tuned a channel it showed a few frames and then displayed the dialog when you reach the end of a video. I.e. Are you done? Hit OK, then black screen. Rebooted again.
3) After reboot, media center reported that no tuners were installed. Ran through the tuner install wizard and then had the problem I had a month ago where the second tuner wouldn't properly play content protected channels (shows a few frames, then freezes.).
4) Based on my last experience, I decided to remove the first cable card, then reboot. After reboot, verify correct proper operation of second tuner, then replug first cable card.

After these 4 steps, the system worked again.

Microsoft has a long way to go before these cable card systems are ready for prime time by your average consumer. How are they expected to deal with these problems? Even in my household, the TV was down all day until I arrived home from work.

All of this was because the DRM needed to be updated! arrrgggh!
post #640 of 1315 Old 05-04-2007, 07:55 PM

Any suggestion on an app to automatically move file after recording to local drive to the NAS?
post #641 of 1315 Old 05-04-2007, 08:08 PM

It's extremely doubtful that HTPC's will ever penetrate to mass market acceptance. Most likely we will have STB's from the cable co with expanded functionality (i.e. ability to playback files from a network) or TV's themselves will come with these things integrated into them (some already do).
post #642 of 1315 Old 05-04-2007, 08:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Chris (or anyone who knows), when you buy a Grand Theater with the Blu-Ray option, are you able to play back BR movies from within the Media Center interface or do you need to exit and use PowerDVD?

I dont think having to exit the MCE would be user frienldy enough for the wife and kids so i may be better off with a PS3 or other stand alone at that point.

Also, any plans to use the new ATI video cards that are rumored to support HDMI audio and video?

Are there any open PCI slots in the Grand theater to add a different soundcard if one wanted to?

Thanks for your time Chris, its great that youre engaged with the community like this. I was leaning towards a VM MCE but now that i've seen this thread i'm sold!
post #643 of 1315 Old 05-04-2007, 09:32 PM
Advanced Member

Yes - comes with a plug in.
Yup.
Yes.

Thanks!!!

post #644 of 1315 Old 05-05-2007, 05:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMorley View Post

Thanks!!!

Excellent, I assume its the same for HD-DVD?

I already bought a copy of Power DVD 7 Ultra in hopes to try my 360 HD-DVD drive on my existing personal PC but havent been able to due to the lack of HDCP compliant hardware. Does the retail copy i already own include the plug-in or is that something additional i would purchase from VM?
post #645 of 1315 Old 05-05-2007, 05:48 AM - Thread Starter

Anyone else using CineMagix Grand with optical output to receiver? I was having issues with getting multichannel sound (beyond stereo) until last night when I updated to latest intel drivers. Even then, I had to keep playing with if for a few hours to get everything right, and I ended up doing so many changes, I'm not positive what the final fix was. Just wanted to see if anybody else had similar issues & what they did to resolve.
post #646 of 1315 Old 05-05-2007, 06:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expletive View Post

Excellent, I assume its the same for HD-DVD?

I already bought a copy of Power DVD 7 Ultra in hopes to try my 360 HD-DVD drive on my existing personal PC but havent been able to due to the lack of HDCP compliant hardware. Does the retail copy i already own include the plug-in or is that something additional i would purchase from VM?

No, that software doesn't come with retail package. Talk to sales, they can get you squared away...

post #647 of 1315 Old 05-05-2007, 09:59 AM

How come a second CableCard tuner costs twice as much as the first CableCard tuner?
post #648 of 1315 Old 05-05-2007, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No, that software doesn't come with retail package. Talk to sales, they can get you squared away...

Ok thanks i will. I may just get the software all set now, add my 360 drive and sit tight until BR drives come down a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xswl0931 View Post

How come a second CableCard tuner costs twice as much as the first CableCard tuner?

Because an ATI digital OTA tuner comes with the computer, so the first Cablecard tuner is an "upgrade" from the included one. The second one is full price.
post #649 of 1315 Old 05-05-2007, 11:24 AM

Quote:

Yup.
Yes.

Thanks!!!

Chris,

I didn't get the plug-in i've been exiting media center to play blu-rays's haha I thought this was how it worked until reading the thread. When I picked up my system the Tech who built my system told me I had to install cyberlink myself due to the EULA. Maybe I missed the patch on my hard disk somewhere ill have to look.

Thanks,

Kevin
post #650 of 1315 Old 05-05-2007, 12:33 PM

well my HD cable channel issues continue!! I had Comcast out the other day and they couldn't figure it out. They were better Techs then your average techs you get but still not very Tech savvy. This is why I hate dealing with the cable Co.

Anyway they hooked up an amp in my house and I think they did something out side cause now I am receiving all HD channels with or without the amp they installed but the only HD channels that are perfect are National geographic, ESPNHD and ESPNHD2 all other channels including local HD are very jerky and loose frames. All channels come in fine with my HD cable box.
My house will be 2 years old in June and I have all new wiring and not the cheap cabling. I went outside and connected the wire that hooked to my house and hooked it directly to my HTPC and same outcome. I bought a $200 38db amp with tilt control myself and and same effect. with my new amp if i adjust the gain too high all channels (including analog) blankout till I back it off. in the digital cable diagnostic screens almost all analog channels show a signal strength shows 40mvdb and all HD channels say they are around -6mvdb to -12 mvdb.

where the cable co's outside box its about 200+ ft to where it hooks into my house. my neighbor has a box that about 50 or so feet to my house so im wondering if i can have them hook me into that outside box. Anyway i will think i will try to very my htpc on another line or house somewhere to test that its definitely the cable line. If you guys have any good ideas it would be greatly appreciated.

Kevin
post #651 of 1315 Old 05-05-2007, 01:13 PM

Chris M,

You mentioned in a previous post that VM will eventually be including HDMI output in their home multimedia center systems. Just wondering if you have any guess as to when that might begin, since that is the only reason I am hesitant to pull the trigger on one of your systems. I just can't see using a DVD-HDMI converter when I have HDMI on my Sony Bravia TV, and I know that eventually PCs will be coming with HDMI standard.

Thanks.
post #652 of 1315 Old 05-05-2007, 01:27 PM

After reading all 22 pages of this thread, I now have a question I'd like to ask. I don't know if this is actually the best thread in which to ask it, but I figure it's as good as any.

A friend has an XP MCE 2005 box which he uses to record SD TV. He then takes the DVR-MS files and uses a free program called dCut to chop the commercials out of the recorded TV programs that he wants to save indefinitely.

This functionality is one of the reasons I'm interested in buying an HTPC. However, anything I buy will of course be running Vista, and I have read that dCut does not work on Vista.

Do any of you know if there is software available that runs on Vista that could be used to easily edit DVR-MS files, for example, to chop the commercials out? Or, if perhaps there is something in Vista that provides that functionality natively?

I realize that unfortunately anything recorded thru a DCT that HAS a cable-card in it will be DRM protected, and therefore will not be editable at all. But I am referring to content recorded thru a DCT WITHOUT a cable-card in it. I plan to just use the QAM functionality of the DCT.

Thanks for any thoughts you may have about editing non-protected DVR-MS files in Vista!
post #653 of 1315 Old 05-05-2007, 01:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph3 View Post

Chris M,

You mentioned in a previous post that VM will eventually be including HDMI output in their home multimedia center systems. Just wondering if you have any guess as to when that might begin, since that is the only reason I am hesitant to pull the trigger on one of your systems. I just can't see using a DVD-HDMI converter when I have HDMI on my Sony Bravia TV, and I know that eventually PCs will be coming with HDMI standard.

Thanks.

We're qualifying the Radeon HD 2900XT which will have a DVI to HDMI adapter that truly converts the signal to HDMI - including passing through audio. That will be out in about 10 days. It's a pricey card @ $399 and is not exactly whisper quiet. If you're willing to wait another month or so, the Radeon HD 2600XT will be THE card to have for HTPCs...(the HD 2400XT will be great too, but its 3D performance won't be)

post #654 of 1315 Old 05-05-2007, 01:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinbarnes View Post

Chris,

I didn't get the plug-in i've been exiting media center to play blu-rays's haha I thought this was how it worked until reading the thread. When I picked up my system the Tech who built my system told me I had to install cyberlink myself due to the EULA. Maybe I missed the patch on my hard disk somewhere ill have to look.

Thanks,

Kevin

It's a couple to the left of Play DVD....

post #655 of 1315 Old 05-05-2007, 01:55 PM

Quote:

We're qualifying the Radeon HD 2900XT which will have a DVI to HDMI adapter that truly converts the signal to HDMI - including passing through audio. That will be out in about 10 days. It's a pricey card @ $399 and is not exactly whisper quiet. If you're willing to wait another month or so, the Radeon HD 2600XT will be THE card to have for HTPCs...(the HD 2400XT will be great too, but its 3D performance won't be)

Thanks, Chris! If the 2900XT is noisy, or even if it's NOT quiet, then it wouldn't be the card for me. Is the 2600XT quieter? Also, I'm not a gamer, so if the 2400XT is quiet, and could handle all HTPC funcionality besides games, then it might be a good call for me.

However, all of these cards I take it still require a DVI to HDMI adapter, no?

How about the ATI RADEON X1600 PRO HDMI? Is there any reason why that card would not be a good choice to go in your HTPCs?
post #656 of 1315 Old 05-05-2007, 02:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph3 View Post

Thanks, Chris! If the 2900XT is noisy, or even if it's NOT quiet, then it wouldn't be the card for me. Is the 2600XT quieter? Also, I'm not a gamer, so if the 2400XT is quiet, and could handle all HTPC funcionality besides games, then it might be a good call for me.

However, all of these cards I take it still require a DVI to HDMI adapter, no?

How about the ATI RADEON X1600 PRO HDMI? Is there any reason why that card would not be a good choice to go in your HTPCs?

The 1600 PRO doesn't have the Universal Video Decoder, which does 100% offloading of the bitstream processing for next gen high definition media formats. The 2600XT is much quieter than a 2900XT under load, but I believe there should be a silent version of the 2400XT. While there is a small adapter that goes on the back similar to DVI to VGA, it's merely a physical connection. Once it is connected it conforms 100% to HDMI 1.2 (it cannot pass through Dobly Digital TrueHD from what I understand since it still uses a S/DIF signal...)

post #657 of 1315 Old 05-05-2007, 02:18 PM

Quote:

While there is a small adapter that goes on the back similar to DVI to VGA, it's merely a physical connection. Once it is connected it conforms 100% to HDMI 1.2

Thanks again, Chris.

So then, is this NOT the case for the Radeon X1950? Does it not conform 100% to HDMI 1.2?
post #658 of 1315 Old 05-05-2007, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The 1600 PRO doesn't have the Universal Video Decoder, which does 100% offloading of the bitstream processing for next gen high definition media formats. The 2600XT is much quieter than a 2900XT under load, but I believe there should be a silent version of the 2400XT. While there is a small adapter that goes on the back similar to DVI to VGA, it's merely a physical connection. Once it is connected it conforms 100% to HDMI 1.2 (it cannot pass through Dobly Digital TrueHD from what I understand since it still uses a S/DIF signal...)

HDMI 1.2 should be able to convert and pass TrueHD as PCM, is this how the ATI will work?

Its probably as much a Power DVD issue as it is an ATI one, but that would be fantastic and could really replace a stand alone unit well...
post #659 of 1315 Old 05-05-2007, 06:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expletive View Post

HDMI 1.2 should be able to convert and pass TrueHD as PCM, is this how the ATI will work?

Its probably as much a Power DVD issue as it is an ATI one, but that would be fantastic and could really replace a stand alone unit well...

No, it can only do 2-channel LPCM. But I am not as confident in what it can do or cannot do at this point...

post #660 of 1315 Old 05-06-2007, 08:12 PM

Quote:

It's a couple to the left of Play DVD....

Nope the plugin wasnt installed on my system. I found the install folder for the plugin in the drivers directory on my C: drive. The plugin doesnt play them quite right yet so its probally just a setting I need to setup. Once this is settup right this will be great!!

Thanks

Kevin
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page