post #811 of 1315 Old 06-06-2007, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMiller View Post

I had an interesting problem today with Vista Media Center and a ATI Digital Cable Tuner (without CableCARD).

I had scheduled a recording of the Republican Presidential Debate on CNN (analog channel 37). However, it did not record; instead it gave me the message "Presidential Debate was not recorded. Recording of this content is prohibited by the content provider."

However, I got a good recording (without any DRM protection) of the Democratic Presidential Debate on Sunday night using the same system.

This is the type of thing that scares me about Vista MCE. I'd hate to have spent $2000+ for a DVR that doesn't record everything. If my CATV box ever does that, I'll cancel the $10 per month rental.

Quote:

I find it difficult to believe that CNN is allowing recordings of the Democratic Presidential Debate but not the Republican one. I could make all kinds of political speculations that the Democrat party is trying to be open but the Republican party is trying to hide something. However, I doubt this was a deliberate decision by someone to treat the Democratic and Republican debates differently.

I suppose that if you had recorded the debates on Fox News the Republican would have recorded, and the Democratic one would have been "protected"

~Jay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 1315 Old 06-06-2007, 09:01 AM

well keep in mind he didn't have the cablecard installed in the tuner..theoretically, it will work if it was popped in.
post #813 of 1315 Old 06-06-2007, 10:12 AM

Guys, what's the difference in functionality between HDHomeRun and a seperate built in QAM tuner (separate from the DCT)? Will the built-in tuner's content be DRMed? Or will it function the same way as we have discussed with HDHomeRun? Will the built-in tuner have separately listed Clear channels?
post #814 of 1315 Old 06-06-2007, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixion View Post

Guys, what's the difference in functionality between HDHomeRun and a seperate built in QAM tuner (separate from the DCT)? Will the built-in tuner's content be DRMed? Or will it function the same way as we have discussed with HDHomeRun? Will the built-in tuner have separately listed Clear channels?

Vista Media Center only allows two NTSC tuners and two ATSC tuners. The DCT replaces the NTSC tuners, and it is my understanding that a DCT and a NTSC tuner cannot coexist. Whether or not another tuner would work depends on whether Vista Media Center thinks it is a NTSC tuner or an ATSC tuner. The two NTSC tuners must be the same type - you cannot have one NTSC tuner with CableCARD and another NTSC tuner with clear QAM. In fact, you cannot have one NTSC tuner with CableCARD and another standard NTSC tuner with digital cable or over the air NTSC.

HDHomeRun works with the DCT because it pretends to be an ATSC tuner - not a clear QAM tuner. Vista Media Center thinks HDHomeRun is receiving ATSC HD channels over the air, and it treats these channels as completely different from the HD channels on the cable.
post #815 of 1315 Old 06-06-2007, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mykroft View Post

I was able to pull up the trace screen, but I'm a bit confused as to how to use it. I couldn't find any documentation on trace settings. Anyone know what the modules are, and what the levels are defined as? I tried various things, but everything resulted in no trace output.

While on the trace screen... If you scroll down to the botton, you should see three buttons. The one in the middle says "Display Traces".
post #816 of 1315 Old 06-06-2007, 09:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:

HDHomeRun works with the DCT because it pretends to be an ATSC tuner - not a clear QAM tuner. Vista Media Center thinks HDHomeRun is receiving ATSC HD channels over the air, and it treats these channels as completely different from the HD channels on the cable.

Ben probably knows this but some people don't, so I'm just clarifying. The HDHomeRun is a ATSC tuner that can also tune QAM. It works as a regular OTA (digital) tuner as well.
post #817 of 1315 Old 06-07-2007, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTPCforLife View Post

While on the trace screen... If you scroll down to the botton, you should see three buttons. The one in the middle says "Display Traces".

Yeah, I got that part. I do that and I don't get anything. I'm assuming I have to enter a module name or some level to filter on. Problem is I don't know what the modules are called or what the trace levels are, which is why I was asking.
post #818 of 1315 Old 06-07-2007, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mykroft View Post

Yeah, I got that part. I do that and I don't get anything. I'm assuming I have to enter a module name or some level to filter on. Problem is I don't know what the modules are called or what the trace levels are, which is why I was asking.

Sorry! If pressing the button doesn't work, then something may be incorrect with your setup. It's really that straight forword. Your traces should start to display immediately. Is your Cablecard working? Are you the one that received the system isn't setup to use Cablecard message?
post #819 of 1315 Old 06-07-2007, 08:01 AM

Quote:

Sorry! If pressing the button doesn't work, then something may be incorrect with your setup. It's really that straight forword. Your traces should start to display immediately. Is your Cablecard working? Are you the one that received the system isn't setup to use Cablecard message?

I'm the one receiving that message, I haven't heard anything yet so my system still isn't working. Currently, if i take the cable cards out, I can tune from channels 1-100. I i put them back in, every channel is filled with green, and I can occasionally see a pixilated portion of the actual picture in the upper corners of the screen.
post #820 of 1315 Old 06-07-2007, 09:39 AM

Quote:

Everything for me is up and running now, so the trace isn't needed anymore, but I wanted to see the output just so I understood what it did. When I hit the trace button, the button changes to "Cashe Traces", but I get no output either way.

I just realized I only tried it in FireFox and not IE, so I will give that a go and see if that is my problem.
post #821 of 1315 Old 06-07-2007, 10:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I suppose that if you had recorded the debates on Fox News the Republican would have recorded, and the Democratic one would have been "protected"

Believe it or not, there may be politics involved. The full DNC called for CNN to release their debates under a Creative Commons license. Only a handful of minor GOP candidates did the same. Result: CNN opened up the Democratic debates; Fox has said they will not release their debate footage. Details are on lessig.org
post #822 of 1315 Old 06-11-2007, 03:00 PM

I just took shipment of my S85 system. I've got two internal digital cable tuners, but only one shows up under Network. In Network Connections I see both CableCards. Does anyone know if I should see both in the Network pane.

As a follow up question ... I don't have my cable cards installed yet, but when I run Media Center setup, it doesn't seem to detect either tuners. Anyone else experience a similar problem? Do I have to have the cable cards in for Media Center to go through setup?

The tech support guys at VM don't seem to have any idea what is going on and I've got Comcast coming tomorrow.

Thanks
post #823 of 1315 Old 06-11-2007, 03:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmacnaug View Post

I just took shipment of my S85 system. I've got two internal digital cable tuners, but only one shows up under Network. In Network Connections I see both CableCards. Does anyone know if I should see both in the Network pane.

As a follow up question ... I don't have my cable cards installed yet, but when I run Media Center setup, it doesn't seem to detect either tuners. Anyone else experience a similar problem? Do I have to have the cable cards in for Media Center to go through setup?

The tech support guys at VM don't seem to have any idea what is going on and I've got Comcast coming tomorrow.

Thanks

Double check the internal connections on the tuners to see if the USB cable came loose.

Do not run media center immediate upon starting up the PC. Wait 60 seconds, or if you want to be sure, check Network and make sure the tuner shows up before launching it.
post #824 of 1315 Old 06-11-2007, 03:49 PM

cmacnaug, if you double click on each tuner in network connections does an ATI local web page for the tuner pop up? If so you should be fine.

Hopefully you don't get the message,"Your computer is not digital cable ready. You will not be able to set it up for use with a cablecard." I have this problem, it won't work even though I have both tuners setup correctly and receiving a signal from comcast. Apparently, it has something to do with VM not flashing the system with the proper OCUR bios. I've been waiting since last Tuesday for them to figure out a way to allow me to flash the PC.

Just a heads up, Comcast has no idea what there doing with these boxes. Understandable since the technology is so new. Just be prepared to basically do the setup on your own.
post #825 of 1315 Old 06-11-2007, 04:01 PM

cmacnaug, This link helped me during my own setup, give it a glance before the comcast tech arrives. Look at the very last section, CableCard Troubleshooting.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...cablecard.mspx
post #826 of 1315 Old 06-11-2007, 05:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks

Brace yourself for a fun day!

I found this link in another post. http://www.maximumpc.com/article/ocur?page=0%2C0
Be sure to read page 3, there is a funny conversation between the cable guy and MS guy.

~Jay
post #827 of 1315 Old 06-11-2007, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMorley View Post

Double check the internal connections on the tuners to see if the USB cable came loose.

Do not run media center immediate upon starting up the PC. Wait 60 seconds, or if you want to be sure, check Network and make sure the tuner shows up before launching it.

Thanks, Chris,

The cable was plugged in snuggly. I tried switching the internal USB cables, but the other card still didn't come up. I then tried plugging the non working card using an external USB cable to the back of the box which didn't work, then I plugged it back in with the internal USB cable and now the card is showing up in network connections. I've rebooted a couple of times and the missing tuner has continued to show up ... so I've got my fingers crossed that it was just a transient fluke.

For those interested, using the external USB cable with the working card did work. So did switching the internal USB cables. So it appears that internal cards are not tied to a particular USB port.

I'm glad you're participating in this forum!

Media Center setup still doesn't succeed ... it gets stuck "Scanning for digital antenna signal..." Is this the expected behavior prior to having CableCards installed? Just want to make sure that I'm in good shape prior to Comcast's arrival....

P.S. Thanks to everyone else for their replies. I'll definitely be checking out those links before Comcast gets here.
post #828 of 1315 Old 06-11-2007, 06:24 PM
Advanced Member

No, that is definitely not expected - tomorrow give me a buzz and I'll remote into your system to see if I can diagnose.

804-897-6166 x211

Anyone is free to give me a call anytime. I am also forwarding any trouble emails I get on to my immediate contacts at AMD and Microsoft.
post #829 of 1315 Old 06-11-2007, 06:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay M View Post

Brace yourself for a fun day!

I found this link in another post. http://www.maximumpc.com/article/ocur?page=0%2C0
Be sure to read page 3, there is a funny conversation between the cable guy and MS guy.

~Jay

Yeah, I'm the "product manager" referenced in that article. =)
post #830 of 1315 Old 06-11-2007, 07:38 PM

Quote:

Thanks

Although I'll admit the initial setup may take some work, it's wonderful afterwards! I used the link below. It helped me to advise the cable guy on what he should do. We found it very useful!

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/m...cablecard.mspx

It even shows the screens in Vista and the DCT interface that you should check during setup. Other than the problem I had after switching the CPU, my setup was fairly straight forward.

Oh... I forgot to add something that wasn't in the instructions. We had to use the Host ID under the Cablecard Pairing menu. The Host ID under the second Digitial Tuner Diagnostics wasn't the correct one.
post #831 of 1315 Old 06-11-2007, 07:56 PM

Chris M.,

Do you know when your new batch of internal DCTs are coming in?!? I ordered another internal tuner last week and was told your out.
post #832 of 1315 Old 06-11-2007, 08:05 PM
Advanced Member

Yeah, they were slow to ship - I believe they came in today.
post #833 of 1315 Old 06-11-2007, 08:19 PM

Quote:

Great! I'll call the sales department tomorrow and ask them when they're going to ship it.
post #834 of 1315 Old 06-12-2007, 07:51 AM

I received my CineMagix Grand Theater System a couple of weeks ago. Everything works as expected (I was running Vist Ultimate as my entertainment PC on another computer using ota HD).

Navigation seems to be slightly squirrled, when I select a recorded tv show to view the details page it takes hitting back twice before it will actually go back to the show listings. It sort of stutters (very quckly) and leaves me on the details page. I upgraded from home premium to ultimate prior to really exercising the system so I don't know if the issue was introduced by the upgrade.
post #835 of 1315 Old 06-12-2007, 11:45 AM

just checked up on my order status, i'm told you guys ran out of external tuners...i know this tuner stock is a pain in the ass for everybody but been waiting for a month and a half now for my box :P
post #836 of 1315 Old 06-12-2007, 01:23 PM

Has anyone else experienced problems when recording two shows on your DCT's at the same time? I have run into this strange issue sometimes when recording two shows simultaneously it messes up the total recorded time of the recorded show.

For example, here's the schedule I had lastnight:

Show #1, Channel #1: 7:00p-7:30 (not HD)
Show #2, Channel #1: 7:30p-8:00 (not HD)
Show #3, Channel #2: 8:00p-9:00 (HD)

Now, at first glance, that may not look like two shows recording at the same time, but because I have all my recordings set to add 4 extra minutes at the end, it ends up overlapping between show #2 and show #3.

Both show #1 and show #2 record just fine. But when it got to #3, it recorded the full 60 minutes, but when you go to play it back it only showed it a total length of 8 minutes. Looking at the file size, it was definitely a full hour.

I was about to delete and reschedule for a repeated timeslot later that night when I came across this post on the web about this:

http://www.silicondust.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3013

The people on that thread suggested that the entire show was viewable if you just let it play through completely and don't fast forward or rewind. I tried this and it worked.

Weird thing is that if you use the 30-second skip button, it skips like 5 minutes, and if you rewind or fast-forward, you end up all over the recording in inconsistent ways.

Anyone else seen this problem? I can't find any mention of this on MS knowledge bases. And I can't seem to get free support from MS because this is an OEM purchased copy of Vista (how freaking stupid is that).

I have a question into VM on this, but I wanted to see if anyone else has come across this. Thanks.
post #837 of 1315 Old 06-14-2007, 10:23 AM

Quote:

We're qualifying the Radeon HD 2900XT which will have a DVI to HDMI adapter that truly converts the signal to HDMI - including passing through audio. That will be out in about 10 days. It's a pricey card @ $399 and is not exactly whisper quiet. If you're willing to wait another month or so, the Radeon HD 2600XT will be THE card to have for HTPCs...(the HD 2400XT will be great too, but its 3D performance won't be)

Chris,

Any update on the 2600XT? Sounds like it will be out soon. How long before we can order in the VM machine?

Thanks

-N
post #838 of 1315 Old 06-14-2007, 09:01 PM

Quote:

I called today to check on my replacement tuner and they indicated that they were still on backorder. Have you heard anymore on when you'll be getting a new batch in?

I've got a friend looking to buy one of these systems but he wants to see both of my tuners working before he does..
post #839 of 1315 Old 06-15-2007, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay M View Post

This is the type of thing that scares me about Vista MCE. I'd hate to have spent $2000+ for a DVR that doesn't record everything. If my CATV box ever does that, I'll cancel the $10 per month rental.

~Jay

Well, if your cable company turns on switched digital video, and the likelihood is that if you are served by a major MSO, they will, you will be in a world of hurt. Your Vista system will not be able to record the SDV channels, which could be a majority of HD channels.

Thanks,
mike
post #840 of 1315 Old 06-15-2007, 01:13 PM

I hope the rest of you have better buying experiences than I'm currently having with these guys.

I ordered a system on 5/30 and the system said estimated shipping on 6/13. A week goes by and my system doesn't change status, so I call to find out what's up. I'm told that they ran out of CableCards. OK, that happens, but someone should have called and told me about the delay. So the cards came in on Monday, but now they don't have COA's for the Cablecard version of Vista. Is this outfit running in someone's garage?

I was promised a follow-up call from several people at VM several times over the past week and a half and it never happened. I had heard good things about VM, but I'm not seeing any of it.

I truly hope that I'm an isolated case.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page