Velocity Micro MCE - Page 31 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #901 of 1315 Old 06-26-2007, 02:43 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 13
There is an update available on Windows Updates today for Vista Media Center that pertains to digital cable tuners. Not sure if it will help or hurt.

The description reads that it "provides better support for interaction between the digital cable tuner, the CableCARD, and Media Center". The update is only listed as Recommended, not Important...meaning you have to manually choose to accept and install the update.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 1315 Old 06-26-2007, 11:30 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
To add more complications, The power went out. So when it rebooted, the tuner that did not get the 100-120 stations still works. The other tuner has no signal. I think the host or data value changed. Is this common? I installed the recommended patch for digitial tuners and cable card, but that didn't really seem to do anything. I am going to swap the cable cards tomorrow and have the cable company hit it again. If that doesn't work, then I am out of ideas, besides trying another tuner.
post #903 of 1315 Old 06-27-2007, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jclausing View Post

I have a similar problem, one tuner is perfect and the other will not tune premium HD (HBO, ESPN) or any non-HD premium channels (any HBO or Showtime). Chris from VM tried a few things but all appeared to be working. They are going to send a new internal tuner so we will see if that cures it. Sounds like a lot of us are 95% there, working well but not quite 100%.

I have experienced the same issue twice, and thought I'd relay my experience with this issue. When I first received my VM box, one of the tuners was DOA. After figuring that out (and figuring out that I needed to turn the windows firewall off for the working tuner for MCE to see it), we got everything paired and working, including Encore, but none of the HBO stations would come in. They would show a single frame or so, then freeze up, and eventually give me the No Signal error message. Again, Encore was working, which made this pretty strange. Comcast tried multiple things re-sending hits, inits, etc., but we could never get them up. I got off the phone with them, figuring I'd call Chris the next day, and even tested that night, more than 4 hours later, still having the same HBO issue. Eventually, I just gave up for the night and left the machine on. The next morning, I tested, and it all worked!

I just received the replacement tuner for my 2nd tuner yesterday. When I added it, MCE wanted to re-pair both tuners. so after they sent the init and hit, they both exhibited the same issue of not being able to see HBO, but Encore worked fine. Again, I waited until about 1 hour later, leaving the machine on (not watching TV), and it wasn't working. About 5 hours later, it started working.

My guess is, at least around Seattle, the HBO init/hit is just taking a really long time to get down to the cablecards. I hope, for your guys' sake, that you are seeing the same problem, and it'll just work the next day.

Chris, you might get a message from your Tech Support about my new second tuner not working, I figured out the issue, and will shoot you an e-mail about it, as it required some registry changes to fix.

-Jerry
post #904 of 1315 Old 06-27-2007, 10:50 AM

I have had the opposite results, where it seems like stations stop working. I just got them to rehit and init the cable cards this morning, hopefully they will be better after that. I am on Millenium Cable, and their support is in Michigan, and seem to think it is impossible to have two cable cards in one device.
post #905 of 1315 Old 06-28-2007, 08:07 AM

My story gets stranger yet. I was going to install the replacement tuner last night (which I have a bad feeling is not going to help) when I saw this post about the Windows update patch. I applied it, rebooted, etc and thought I would see if that helped. Interestingly enough, the problem tuner will now receive ESPN HD but none of the other problem channels. I guess I'll throw in the replacement and see what happens. Maybe I will try to have them send the init and just leave the box on without using it for several hours. Maybe that will work....
post #906 of 1315 Old 06-28-2007, 12:38 PM

I am going to try the reinstall this weekend. I can't see how the tuners or cards are bad as each tuner at one point was able to watch starz, and not neither of them can. Will an upgrade install work? Or do I need to format and reinstall?
post #907 of 1315 Old 06-28-2007, 09:02 PM
Advanced Member

Hey guys, sorry I haven't been around. I have been travelling and I'm currently stuck in Atlanta. I am not sure I'll make it in tomorrow but just wanted to check in.
post #908 of 1315 Old 06-29-2007, 09:56 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMorley View Post

Hey guys, sorry I haven't been around. I have been travelling and I'm currently stuck in Atlanta. I am not sure I'll make it in tomorrow but just wanted to check in.

Yikes...been through some of that lately...best thing is to be patient.

I often tell people the big secret of air travel is not to be in a hurry.

-- Jim
post #909 of 1315 Old 06-29-2007, 10:08 AM

Hello,

I'm looking to buy a VM HTPC with dual OCUR tuners, and wanted to get some feedback/recommendations on the specs needed for smooth operation.

The intel boxes are a bit more, and its suggested on the site to use quad processors for bluray/dual tuners. I'm not planning on getting bluray at the moment, is quad core still highly recommended?

I also looked at the AMD configuration and they dont' offer quad core. How do the AMD processors compare to the intel configuration? The intel quad config w/dual tuners comes to ~$3k and the AMD w/dual core comes to ~$2300.

I'd rather not have to deal with a CPU upgrade hassle in the future, but I expect that whatever I buy will run HD smoothly for some time to come, so I'm not too concerned about it.

Thoughts/comments?
post #910 of 1315 Old 06-29-2007, 07:03 PM

What version does everyone have on their OpenCable Receiver ? My version is 1.15.2007.04051, Apr 5 2007

Is this the latest version, or where can I get the latest ?
post #911 of 1315 Old 06-29-2007, 07:51 PM
Advanced Member

That's the latest.

buffman - if video playback and recording is important to you, then you'll do fine with an AMD X2 processor - no they aren't as quick as the Core 2s, but you will not drop any frames. I would highly recommend buying the Radeon 2600 XT as it supports 100% bitstream offload which drastically reduces the burden on the CPU.

I had put quad core recommended up there before the 2600 and 8600 came out - they both do more offloading than their predecessors.
post #912 of 1315 Old 06-29-2007, 07:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmallory View Post

Yikes...been through some of that lately...best thing is to be patient.

I often tell people the big secret of air travel is not to be in a hurry.

Yup, I was up for over 24 hours and stuck at the airport. Finally took a cab to a bar, met a stand up comedian (whom I had never heard of before) that was in the same position as me, and we just had a few drinks until the early morning when I had to make my flight.
post #913 of 1315 Old 06-30-2007, 01:31 PM

OK, so I just reinstalled windows, set up tuner, and Starz still does not work. All other stations work, including more hi tier hidef, but 100-120 does not work. I am having a hard time determining what to do next. The tuners and cards use to tune starz, but for some reason, fail to recognize those stations. Is there any more advanced type of debugging I can do to see why it is failing, error messages to event log, or something like that. Or did I just spend $3000 on a machine that apparently hates channels in the 100s.
post #914 of 1315 Old 06-30-2007, 04:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritalyn View Post

OK, so I just reinstalled windows, set up tuner, and Starz still does not work. All other stations work, including more hi tier hidef, but 100-120 does not work. I am having a hard time determining what to do next. The tuners and cards use to tune starz, but for some reason, fail to recognize those stations. Is there any more advanced type of debugging I can do to see why it is failing, error messages to event log, or something like that. Or did I just spend $3000 on a machine that apparently hates channels in the 100s.

Ask them to send another EMM hit - the card probably doesn't know it's authorized to decrypt those channels.
post #915 of 1315 Old 07-01-2007, 05:41 AM

I'm having problems with my extender locking up and causing SqmApiWrapper.TimerAccumulate errors on the VMC box. In troubleshooting, I noticed that the drivers for the cablecard tuners were dated 6/21/06. That seems pretty old for a product that just recently went live. Are there newer drivers?
post #916 of 1315 Old 07-01-2007, 03:22 PM

Chris, this is slightly off-topic, but do you have any kind of hypothesis as to why it's so hard to pick up a media center PC from the Dells and HPs of the world? I just took a quick trip to their site and tried to configure their so-called designated Media Center PCs (the HP m8010y and the Dell XPS 410) and there's no option to get the DCT unit, but of course going to Velocity Micro's site it's as easy as can be, to configure a PC with this option.

It just seems so odd that they make you jump through hoops. Does it have anything to do with them getting cold feet, do you think?
post #917 of 1315 Old 07-01-2007, 04:34 PM

because HP keeps going in and out of stock and tuners and Dell never officially released the 410 media center to the public, they probably don't think there is enough demand for it to bother supporting it.
post #918 of 1315 Old 07-01-2007, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theelite View Post

because HP keeps going in and out of stock and tuners and Dell never officially releasded the 410 media center to the public, they probably don't think there is enough demand for it to bother supporting it.

Dell has already sent press units for review, so I doubt they don't think there's enough demand. It's more likely a supply problem with a single manufacturer of DCTs (ATI/AMD).
post #919 of 1315 Old 07-01-2007, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guste View Post

Chris, this is slightly off-topic, but do you have any kind of hypothesis as to why it's so hard to pick up a media center PC from the Dells and HPs of the world? I just took a quick trip to their site and tried to configure their so-called designated Media Center PCs (the HP m8010y and the Dell XPS 410) and there's no option to get the DCT unit, but of course going to Velocity Micro's site it's as easy as can be, to configure a PC with this option.

It just seems so odd that they make you jump through hoops. Does it have anything to do with them getting cold feet, do you think?

Why are you asking Chris about whether a competitor of his is or isn't offering something? Basically you're saying "Hey thanks for all your time and help telling us about CableCard, now I'm going to buy one from your competitor..."
post #920 of 1315 Old 07-01-2007, 09:21 PM

Actually, I'm not in the market for one of these machines until 2.0 of cablecard comes out. I was really more just interested in what's going on with industry support. That's why I asked for a hypothesis about whether or not he sees a general trend of moving away from offering this type of a product.
post #921 of 1315 Old 07-02-2007, 03:14 AM
Advanced Member

It's cool, I don't mind the question.

I don't know what's going on with the big guys on DCTs - but it seems that Sony has consistently had the product out and available, doesn't it?

But, I do know that Dell has not officially released a DCT system yet, even thought they have been whoring out the 410 lately...
post #922 of 1315 Old 07-02-2007, 10:08 AM

Quote:

Ask them to send another EMM hit - the card probably doesn't know it's authorized to decrypt those channels.

I believe I had them send like 5 of these, but maybe it was the wrong type. I will try again sometime this week and see. These are apparently the last channels that come across in the hit, so is it possible there is something causing the tuners/cards to stop listening?
post #923 of 1315 Old 07-02-2007, 05:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

That's the latest.

buffman - if video playback and recording is important to you, then you'll do fine with an AMD X2 processor - no they aren't as quick as the Core 2s, but you will not drop any frames. I would highly recommend buying the Radeon 2600 XT as it supports 100% bitstream offload which drastically reduces the burden on the CPU.

I had put quad core recommended up there before the 2600 and 8600 came out - they both do more offloading than their predecessors.

What would be a scenario where you would recommend a quad core at this point? Is there any reason to get an 8600 over the 2600?
post #924 of 1315 Old 07-03-2007, 07:07 PM

Chris, i just received my dual cablecard system and the sleep function is causing a problem with the tuners.

The PC goes to sleep fine with remote, then will wake up with remote, but the tuners (network adapters in Device manager) will uninstall then re-install right upon waking. The problem is that since MCE is already running, it thinks that the tuners were uninstalled at somne point and thus pressing Live TV causes an error saying that there is no tuner setup for the system....i have to close MCE to get it to re-recognize the tuners.

Why is this happening?

I also noticed that Hybrid sleep and hibernate options were missing from the power options menus...?

Velocity Micro support has no clue what is happening, please help.
post #925 of 1315 Old 07-03-2007, 08:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expletive View Post

What would be a scenario where you would recommend a quad core at this point? Is there any reason to get an 8600 over the 2600?

In fact, I'd probably recommend it the other way around - the 2600 does VC1 and H.264 - so you're not really going to need the quad-core horsepower for simultaneous Blu-ray playback with DCT recording..
post #926 of 1315 Old 07-03-2007, 08:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradSwanson View Post

Chris, i just received my dual cablecard system and the sleep function is causing a problem with the tuners.

The PC goes to sleep fine with remote, then will wake up with remote, but the tuners (network adapters in Device manager) will uninstall then re-install right upon waking. The problem is that since MCE is already running, it thinks that the tuners were uninstalled at somne point and thus pressing Live TV causes an error saying that there is no tuner setup for the system....i have to close MCE to get it to re-recognize the tuners.

Why is this happening?

I also noticed that Hybrid sleep and hibernate options were missing from the power options menus...?

Velocity Micro support has no clue what is happening, please help.

Hmm, I did not come across that during my testing of hibernate - shoot me an email with your WO# when you get a chance. We aren't working tomorrow but I'll be back in Thurs.

Till then, just avoid putting it to sleep but you can do things like power down the TV/monitor, HDDs, etc...
post #927 of 1315 Old 07-04-2007, 11:46 PM

still no luck with my channels, but i have another problem that I hope is more easily solved. My cable company changed its channels, and apparently the guid thinks channel 82 is really 83. I try to change this in the guide but it never saves. Anyone know why this would happen?

Thanks
post #928 of 1315 Old 07-06-2007, 08:58 AM

If I choose to not install a cablecard (initially) and instead use the ATI as a Clear Qam will any video that I record still be encrypted? If so, I quess the alternative would be to use a HDHomeRun for recording ClearQam channels and the DCT for recording "analog" and encrypted - right?

Thanks.
Greg
post #929 of 1315 Old 07-06-2007, 09:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritalyn View Post

still no luck with my channels, but i have another problem that I hope is more easily solved. My cable company changed its channels, and apparently the guid thinks channel 82 is really 83. I try to change this in the guide but it never saves. Anyone know why this would happen?

Thanks

Have you tried setting up the guide again?
post #930 of 1315 Old 07-06-2007, 09:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregor View Post

If I choose to not install a cablecard (initially) and instead use the ATI as a Clear Qam will any video that I record still be encrypted? If so, I quess the alternative would be to use a HDHomeRun for recording ClearQam channels and the DCT for recording "analog" and encrypted - right?

Thanks.
Greg

Nope, it won't be DRM'd.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page