Velocity Micro MCE - Page 34 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #991 of 1315 Old 07-14-2007, 09:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey Jivo, were you able to get this tech on the phone and send those commands, or was this a tech that was at your place?
Right now I got one cablecard that doesn't want to tune premiums and the other I can authenticate cause apparently Comcast Jersey system is messed up at the moment

and jbaysingar..it's not wrong to expect the system to work perfectly, but also know that it's hard for Velocity Micro to test all the problems that might happen with the DCT's and different cable companies. They can't test the exact cablecard pairing with your cable account. A lot of us are having issues with the DCT's, with and without cable cards in them. From what I've read from previous posts though is do not put your computer to sleep
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 1315 Old 07-14-2007, 11:36 AM

I've gone through two home Comcast visits by installers and two times on the phone myself to Comcast "tech support". The installers spoke to 6 different support techs before came across the most experienced cablecard technician on shift.

When you call in yourself you never know the technical experience you are going to get. At least with the installer at the house you can keep asking him to get the most experienced support tech.
post #993 of 1315 Old 07-14-2007, 04:06 PM

Sorry if I came off too angry; yesterday was a frustrating day. I'm just trying to find out if this is a system issue (that might be correctable with an update), or a bad DCT that I need to replace.

Here are some more details. Again, I don't have a CableCARD yet, the issues are just with the analog channels (as I posted earlier, the "professional" installer blew off the appointment without notifying me). I went to the diagnostics page, and selected "Signal." MC tried to tune to channel 12, but it as with Live TV, all it got was static. The Frequency read 205,250 kHz, and the carrier lock, and PCR lock both read "Not Locked." I manually re-entered "12", and the picture and sound then came in. The frequency switched to 204,000, and the carrier and PCR locks switched to "Locked." My Signal Level is reporting 39-40 dBmV and the Signal/Noise is 28 dB. Fortunately this issue does not seem to affect scheduled recordings (so far. *knocks wood*).

I currently have no issues with sleep. When I first got the system, the TV out signal didn't come back on when resuming from sleep, but an initial run through Windows Update seems to have cleared that issue up, and sleep has been working fine for me. I don't want to wear out my fans, and as the HTPC is in my bedroom (I wired my house with in-wall Cat5e, and have an Xbox 360 as an extender in my living room), I don't really want to have fan noise and those fancy blue lights on when I'm trying to sleep.
post #994 of 1315 Old 07-14-2007, 11:21 PM

I have been having a problem with drop out of my HD channels on my Velocity Micro CineMagix S85 with external digital cable tuner.

I start getting small rectangles across the screen making it impossible to watch the program. It looks the same as a signal strength problem I had on my TV with cable box. It affects all of the HD channels - both premium and clear QAM. It does not affect any analog or digital non-HD channels - including premium. I do not have the same problem with my other TV with a cable box.

I can resolve the problem by powering off the computer and the external cable tuner. After powering everything back on, everything works fine - usually for several days. However, this problem has occurred several times now. It has resulted in my getting several unwatchable recordings.

It does not appear to be a problem with the cable signal, since powering everything off and back on consistently corrects the problem - without calling the cable company and without them doing anything.

I do not know whether it is a problem with the computer hardware, with Windows Vista Media Center software, with the external cable tuner, or with the CableCARD. I can't get the cable company to do anything. I called them the first time it happened. The technician came, we reset the system, and the problem went away. As far as they are concerned, the problem was fixed. They do not believe it is a problem with their system.

Has anyone else seen a similar problem?

I have not yet called Velocity Micro technical support, since it is late Saturday night - or actually early Sunday morning. I will be asking Chris next week if he has any idea how to debug this problem. Based on past experience, the problem will probably not reoccur for several days.
post #995 of 1315 Old 07-15-2007, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbaysingar View Post

Sorry if I came off too angry; yesterday was a frustrating day. I'm just trying to find out if this is a system issue (that might be correctable with an update), or a bad DCT that I need to replace.

I am a bit further along on the installation and troubleshooting path, and I can tell you that I have not seen this issue myself or read about this issue with anyone else, it is most likely a bad DCT. I had a bad DCT and VM support was good about 2 day airing one out to me.
post #996 of 1315 Old 07-17-2007, 10:15 AM

Hey Chris, any word on this premium channel/HD problem?...I am still not able to tune those channels on both tuners after comcast (supposedly) sending hits out to my cablecard

Hey jbary, no worries, you didn't come off angry..just frustrated and I can understand that
post #997 of 1315 Old 07-18-2007, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMiller View Post

I have been having a problem with drop out of my HD channels on my Velocity Micro CineMagix S85 with external digital cable tuner.

I start getting small rectangles across the screen making it impossible to watch the program. It looks the same as a signal strength problem I had on my TV with cable box. It affects all of the HD channels - both premium and clear QAM. It does not affect any analog or digital non-HD channels - including premium. I do not have the same problem with my other TV with a cable box.

I can resolve the problem by powering off the computer and the external cable tuner. After powering everything back on, everything works fine - usually for several days. However, this problem has occurred several times now. It has resulted in my getting several unwatchable recordings.

It does not appear to be a problem with the cable signal, since powering everything off and back on consistently corrects the problem - without calling the cable company and without them doing anything.

I do not know whether it is a problem with the computer hardware, with Windows Vista Media Center software, with the external cable tuner, or with the CableCARD. I can't get the cable company to do anything. I called them the first time it happened. The technician came, we reset the system, and the problem went away. As far as they are concerned, the problem was fixed. They do not believe it is a problem with their system.

Has anyone else seen a similar problem?

I have not yet called Velocity Micro technical support, since it is late Saturday night - or actually early Sunday morning. I will be asking Chris next week if he has any idea how to debug this problem. Based on past experience, the problem will probably not reoccur for several days.

Well Ive had a similar issue with the macroblocking (small rectangles across the screen every few seconds) except my issue has never gone away with a re-boot. Most all my local HD channels and MOJO HD have this problem. Discovery, TNT, National Geo, MHD, UHD come in great.

I have HDhomerun and my local channels come in perfect using this. Ive changed DVI cables and TV's that the system is hooked up to to make sure that wasn't the issue.

Ive had comcast come out a few times to test the signal strength on the line and they say its fine. (although I don't 100% really trust his judgment do to the fact I had to tell him to look at the higher frequency for line loss) I even had them replace the cable line from the drop outside to my house.

I also purchased an amplifier thinking that maybe the higher frequency's that the HD channels are on were droping out and needed to be amplified but this didn't pan out and some channels that I receive perfect are above and below in frequency of the channels that don't come in so good.

So in a nut shell thats my problem. I wonder how sensitive the ATI tuners are compared to other QAM tuners?? the HDhomerun has no problems at my home. I wonder if ATI had a few cards on the hairy edge of passing specs and thats the pair that I have?? hmmm I don't know.... I wouldn't mind checking to see if 2 new tuners would fix my issue or if someone near me had a cablecard system up and running with no microblocking I could test my system on there cableline to see if the problem could be duplicated.... If the problem could be repeated at a known good line then it would point to the tuners as my issue.
post #998 of 1315 Old 07-18-2007, 11:44 AM

Has anyone else experimented with letting their system go to sleep while using internal cable tuners? I've got Comcast coming back today to reinitialize the tuner that lost some of its premium channels after I put my system to sleep. I'm planning on experimenting more with it and will reply back with my results.
post #999 of 1315 Old 07-18-2007, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmacnaug View Post

Has anyone else experimented with letting their system go to sleep while using internal cable tuners? I've got Comcast coming back today to reinitialize the tuner that lost some of its premium channels after I put my system to sleep. I'm planning on experimenting more with it and will reply back with my results.

See my earlier posts - I highly recommend never allowing the system to sleep. Any cut in power to the tuners causes my system to lose half of my channels. The only remedy I have had is to have the CableCo install new CableCards.
post #1000 of 1315 Old 07-18-2007, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSD View Post

See my earlier posts - I highly recommend never allowing the system to sleep. Any cut in power to the tuners causes my system to lose half of my channels. The only remedy I have had is to have the CableCo install new CableCards.

My system should arrive in the next week or so. I actually plan to use the DCT for QAM alongside my HDHomerun (the DCT is basically a "just in case" measure if Comcast drops analog in my area).

Any problems with QAM on the DCT if the system goes to sleep?
post #1001 of 1315 Old 07-18-2007, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wscottcross View Post

I hope the rest of you have better buying experiences than I'm currently having with these guys.

I ordered a system on 5/30 and the system said estimated shipping on 6/13. A week goes by and my system doesn't change status, so I call to find out what's up. I'm told that they ran out of CableCards. OK, that happens, but someone should have called and told me about the delay. So the cards came in on Monday, but now they don't have COA's for the Cablecard version of Vista. Is this outfit running in someone's garage?

I was promised a follow-up call from several people at VM several times over the past week and a half and it never happened. I had heard good things about VM, but I'm not seeing any of it.

I truly hope that I'm an isolated case.

Well, Warren you are not an isolated case. My first attempt to order a system from VM was in early April but of course, after about a month of waiting I learned from this forum they ran out of tuners. Calling customer support confirmed that and was "assured" the wait is going to be minimal so I waited another week or so but after seeing online my order was not going anywhere I cancelled my order. Also, I was promised in several ocassions I will be reimbursed for the difference in the price between the system ordered in early April and the actual price of the system at various times I was calling. That never happened.

Fast forward to July. Again, anxious to give them another chance, hearing all the supply problems have been solved I ordered a system almost two weeks ago. Like the first time my credit card was charged full price for the system ordered although most outfits will actually charge the price the moment they actually ship the system. Seeing again online there was no update on the order I called to learn about shortages with ATI 2600 XT video cards. Calling customer support is an exercise in frustration since nobody provides you with any useful information. Since I will be in vacation in two weeks from now it is really important to get the system next week at the latest and I offered to work out a solution by changing the configuration to a system w/o the videocard. I was told this is not possible since there will be no way to test the system. Now, this is really hard to believe VM cannot find a spare videocard to test the system with. I then offered to get the system with an NVIDIA 8600 card in it but I was told this constitutes a configuration change and I will be charged not only extra for the card but also a fee for the change.

So, in the end I paid $2500 for a system which most probably is going to be shipped during my vacation, at best one week later than estimated, with nobody home to take delivery which will make the system to go back to VM. I will not be suprised if they wanted to charge a restocking fee...

What is more ridiculous is that the system is not even staged which means there is a possibility that another part would be missing at the time the video card comes.

IMO, this is chaotic planning, the customer is not kept in the loop with what is going on and the whole experience is far from what they advertise as best in class customer service. I am curious if anybody received their system as estimated or at least within a few days of that date. From what I read here there are problems even with the quality of the build for some of this forum users.

Anybody having a similar experience?
post #1002 of 1315 Old 07-18-2007, 01:22 PM

Ordered & PayPal payment cleared: 7/10
Staged for Assembly: 7/18
Estimated Ship Date: 7/23

The stock message on the tracking page says assembly takes 2-5 days, so while they're cutting it close, I wouldn't say it's totally unacceptable at this point. If it matters, I ordered an S85 upgraded to an E6600, 500GB HD, one DCT, and an ATI 650 tuner.
post #1003 of 1315 Old 07-18-2007, 01:43 PM

i guess you could ask them to delay your shipment instead?

I kinda had a similar experience with the shortage of DCT's, took about 2 months to get my box and then motherboard issues that occured during shipment. VM though shipped replacement parts promptly and had techs go to my place to fix it. So they held up their end in my opinion. Delays happen and that doesn't really phase me too much, but then again I have doormen who can take my boxes also.

Honestly all I want at the moment is the solution to the DCT problem in tuning correctly HD and Premiums, and I will feel as my $2500 is worth it when I can get rid of my cablebox instead of still using it.
post #1004 of 1315 Old 07-18-2007, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by millerbrad View Post

Staged for Assembly: 7/18
Estimated Ship Date: 7/23

The stock message on the tracking page says assembly takes 2-5 days, so while they're cutting it close, I wouldn't say it's totally unacceptable at this point. If it matters, I ordered an S85 upgraded to an E6600, 500GB HD, one DCT, and an ATI 650 tuner.

Did you order an ATI 2600 XT card in the configuration? I placed my second order on 7/7 and it is not staged yet.
post #1005 of 1315 Old 07-18-2007, 02:03 PM

No success here. I had the cable tech out again, and we swapped out the cable cards and re hit them with the same story. All stations but the premiums. My only remaining theory is that they are the only encrypted stations coming down the pipe, so maybe that is what is causing the problem. I have no way to confirm that, but my line strength is good so there went that idea.
post #1006 of 1315 Old 07-18-2007, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritalyn View Post

No success here. I had the cable tech out again, and we swapped out the cable cards and re hit them with the same story. All stations but the premiums. My only remaining theory is that they are the only encrypted stations coming down the pipe, so maybe that is what is causing the problem. I have no way to confirm that, but my line strength is good so there went that idea.

If they are unencrypted you should be able to tune them with your DCTs w/o cablecards since they tune clear QAM. I have a HDHomerun which is able to tune clear QAM HD channels but these are only the ones that are also broadcasted OTA (only the networks, no Discovery HD, ESPN HD, Natl Geo HD, etc. which are part of my subscription).
post #1007 of 1315 Old 07-18-2007, 03:16 PM

Eugen,

I was also hit by the out of stock tuner issue, but I agree with other posters that this is out of VM's control. I do think they could be a bit more proactive about sending out updates, but I never had to wait more than 30 seconds when I called in to check the status of the order. I did get a few bad DCTs (mine are internal), but VM has been really prompt about sending out new ones (2 day delivery) ... so I can't say that I agree with you. Reading some of the experiences people have had with HP makes me even more of a big VM fan.
post #1008 of 1315 Old 07-18-2007, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSD View Post

Thanks Dave,

Comcast came out and replaced the cable card on the tuner that was having issues. Unfortunately, I had to reboot in the process and now my other tuner isn't able to get premiums. Comcast will be back tomorrow with another cable card ... so I think for now ... I'm going to shy away from any sleeping. Are your tuners internal? I wonder if the channel loss might not happen for external tuners where the power wouldn't get cut in a system power cycle. I wonder if there is a way for the internal tuners to keep power in a system shutdown?

Colin
post #1009 of 1315 Old 07-18-2007, 04:25 PM

cmacnaug,
i understand sometimes things could be out of your control, more of a reason to be proactive and trying to accomodate your customers. while DCT's have been scarce to begin with, plus they have been hit by a software bug, this is simply a video card that prevents meeting an estimated ship date and from the information i gathered with at least a week. how about offering a replacement? not only that they even refuse to send a system w/o one invoking a lame excuse or they want me to pay extra a configuration change for a system which hasn't been staged for production. a best in class customer service would have been an email explaining the situation and alternative options being offered to try to keep the estimated date. it just happens the date for me is important.
post #1010 of 1315 Old 07-18-2007, 06:52 PM

Hello all,
So here is my question (to anyone) My machine arrived 2 weeks ago, trying to burn it in.
The Badass(axe) MOBO apparently wont allow both MATRIX and MARVELL to be populated with HD's without hanging on booting...but thats not what I am seeking counsel with this form .....

I have one ATI Dig tuner
I have not set up Vista Media center yet or have called Time warner to install the Cable card
what sequence should I perform to avoid major problems

Is anyones Dig Cable Card MACH WORKING ?? CORRECTLY

Thanks

BTW dont update your MB bios... Updating the BIOS on a DCT system without an OCUR enabled BIOS will cause the tuners to stop functioning VM claims this is a proprietary bios and cannot be done away from VM.
post #1011 of 1315 Old 07-18-2007, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmacnaug View Post

Thanks Dave,

Comcast came out and replaced the cable card on the tuner that was having issues. Unfortunately, I had to reboot in the process and now my other tuner isn't able to get premiums. Comcast will be back tomorrow with another cable card ... so I think for now ... I'm going to shy away from any sleeping. Are your tuners internal? I wonder if the channel loss might not happen for external tuners where the power wouldn't get cut in a system power cycle. I wonder if there is a way for the internal tuners to keep power in a system shutdown?

Colin

It may be a case-by-case basis. I have two internal tuners and no problems putting Vista into sleepmode. I've also had no problems with Vista waking up to record. All channels are fine on both tuners.
post #1012 of 1315 Old 07-18-2007, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugen Paval View Post

Did you order an ATI 2600 XT card in the configuration? I placed my second order on 7/7 and it is not staged yet.

Yes, my system had an ATI 2600 XT.
post #1013 of 1315 Old 07-19-2007, 04:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritalyn View Post

MS is very aware of the dropped premium channels. Some of our competitors have noticed the same thing (they can chime in if them want to) - and we've worked closely together to see what we can get done with MS.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #1014 of 1315 Old 07-19-2007, 04:27 AM
Advanced Member

RE: 2600's - our graphics partner's failure to get us the cards in a timely manner has affected more than just our CineMagix customers. They are on their way. I will have someone send an update on these vid cards today.

post #1015 of 1315 Old 07-19-2007, 11:46 AM

It seems there are a lot of problems with the units with DCT tuners.....I want to order a unit with (2) ATI TV Wonder 650 Pro HDTV/SD/FM Combo Tuners. Is anyone using these & is there the same problems as the DCT's? I do not have cable & will not be getting it?
post #1016 of 1315 Old 07-19-2007, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabrewer View Post

It seems there are a lot of problems with the units with DCT tuners.....I want to order a unit with (2) ATI TV Wonder 650 Pro HDTV/SD/FM Combo Tuners. Is anyone using these & is there the same problems as the DCT's? I do not have cable & will not be getting it?

I bought 2 ATI TV Wonder 650 pro's to put in my system with the DCT. The 650's work flawlessly.

Kevin
post #1017 of 1315 Old 07-19-2007, 02:14 PM

Well, it looks like there may be a delay on my system. But, it appears thast VM is being quite proactive about component shortages, likely as a result of what goes on in these message boards. Overall, I'm still satisfied with VM.

Quote:

Hi Brad,

The 256mb ATI Radeon HD 2600XT video card you ordered with your system may cause a delay in your estimated shipping date. AMD/ATI has a shortage of this card and has not met the forecasted leadtime for shipping to us. We our currently working with AMD/ATI to make sure we receive these cards ASAP. We are also confirming their ETA for arrival to us so that we can give this information to you. If you are interested in changing video cards, please contact our customer service dept at 1-800-303-7866.

I am very sorry for any inconvenience this may cause. If you have any questions, please call or email me at your earliest convenience.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Best Regards,

post #1018 of 1315 Old 07-19-2007, 05:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabrewer View Post

Actually, I don't think I've had one call or trouble ticket regarding those tuners.

post #1019 of 1315 Old 07-25-2007, 12:36 PM

Any update on when the 2600xt equipped machines will start shipping?
post #1020 of 1315 Old 07-25-2007, 12:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregor View Post

Any update on when the 2600xt equipped machines will start shipping?

The cards are trickling in now - I saw systems being built with them on the floor today.

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page