Forum Jump: 

Old 02-18-2008, 08:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMorley View Post

If you still get no satisfaction, do post your experience on resellerratings as that will get other departments involved since they don't want bad publicity.

Gee, thanks, Chris! We miss you, too.

I think there may be a better way to get help...

To all of the CineMagix customers here, thank you for your business and patience. We have had quite a year catching up with the many issues caused by OCUR and are certainly ahead of the game now. I'm happy to report we have shipped many hundreds of of the Cinemagix with OCUR support now, and we've had to learn a lot, and teach the cable companies and our vendors at ATI and Intel also. We have made about 50% of all OCUR systems produced in the US, but there is still plenty for us to improve on.

I will do a better job checking up on this forum, but in the meantime, if you are having issues from Velocity Micro that just don't make sense, please drop me an email and I will help you get to the heart of the issue if I can. rcopeland(at)velocitymicro(dot)com.

Randy Copeland
President & CEO
Velocity Micro, Inc.
www.velocitymicro.com
rcopeland(at)velocitymicro(dot)com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2008, 10:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VelocityMicro View Post

Gee, thanks, Chris! We miss you, too.

I think there may be a better way to get help...

To all of the CineMagix customers here, thank you for your business and patience. We have had quite a year catching up with the many issues caused by OCUR and are certainly ahead of the game now. I'm happy to report we have shipped many hundreds of of the Cinemagix with OCUR support now, and we've had to learn a lot, and teach the cable companies and our vendors at ATI and Intel also. We have made about 50% of all OCUR systems produced in the US, but there is still plenty for us to improve on.

I will do a better job checking up on this forum, but in the meantime, if you are having issues from Velocity Micro that just don't make sense, please drop me an email and I will help you get the the heart of the issue if I can. rcopeland(at)velocitymicro(dot)com.

Awesome Randy, good to see someone from VM on the boards...miss you too!

Good to hear my designs rocked that hard!
Old 02-18-2008, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMorley View Post

Good to hear my designs rocked that hard!

Like I said, it took a lot of additional learning to work out the kinks. You certainly deserve some credit for the initial launch products - thanks!

Randy Copeland
President & CEO
Velocity Micro, Inc.
www.velocitymicro.com
Old 02-18-2008, 10:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VelocityMicro View Post

Like I said, it took a lot of additional learning to work out the kinks. You certainly deserve some credit for the initial launch products - thanks!

...and a few QFE's from MS, a 1.16H BIOS from AMD, a ton of my help in this forum, on the phone, and abroad, etc...we had it down, everyone else had to get in line.

Good news is that SP1 seems to incorporate all the patching and rigging we had to do - now it's really just out of the box ready to go (or OPK ready to go, lol) - heck, my four tuner DCT system is running GREAT!

BTW...some credit? The entire project was my idea that I pushed very hard for from my first interviews. Furthermore, you yourself said that no one else could have pulled it off. I appreciate your trying to save face in a public forum however.
Old 02-18-2008, 10:49 PM

Besides all of these fixes, we now truly understand what is a problem on the cable side and what is a PC issue. Walking cable installers through the issues with confidence has also helped make a more satisfying experience.

Randy Copeland
President & CEO
Velocity Micro, Inc.
www.velocitymicro.com
Old 02-18-2008, 10:52 PM
Advanced Member

Old 02-18-2008, 11:09 PM

I should state that we initially sold 50% of the DCT systems, but these days the larger OEMs are finally catching on. (Now that the work is done)

Funny, we are also building DCT systems for lots of our competitors, too. The DCT system you buy from another boutique builder may well have a Velocity Micro Vista COA sticker on the back. If it does, it's probably a good thing since we've done the heavy lifting now.

Randy Copeland
President & CEO
Velocity Micro, Inc.
www.velocitymicro.com
Old 02-19-2008, 04:04 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
But it is nice to see someone "officially" from Velocity Micro here. Only question is, what took you so long?

-- Jim
Old 02-19-2008, 06:51 AM

Fair question - At least I'm here now.

Randy Copeland
President & CEO
Velocity Micro, Inc.
www.velocitymicro.com
Old 02-19-2008, 01:50 PM

Randy. Is there some issue with your e-mail? I have been trying to contact you about numerous issues with my CineMagix Grand that support has failed to handle, but my e-mails are always returned as failed. I would prefer to contact you directly instead of trash your company in an online post.

rmrozier (at) comcast (dot) net
Old 02-19-2008, 04:21 PM

Sure, I'll drop you a note now. I apologize for your frustration. Thanks

Randy Copeland
President & CEO
Velocity Micro, Inc.
www.velocitymicro.com
Old 03-30-2008, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Blu-ray support (newest models). I was reading on the VM web site that blu-ray rom ($199 more+$99 software) enables playback. However, I am still unclear (from the web site and other postings here) if this "integrates" into VIsta MCE or do you have to close MCE and launch the blu-ray player? Is it safe to say this is a "hack" until MS has official BD support?
Old 04-06-2008, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter

Had anyone using VM's CineMagix grand theater (preferably an early one) had service pack 1 show up? Has anyone forced the update with the ~400MB install and did they have any problems?

Thanks
Old 04-07-2008, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiba3420 View Post

Had anyone using VM's CineMagix grand theater (preferably an early one) had service pack 1 show up? Has anyone forced the update with the ~400MB install and did they have any problems?

Thanks

The Intel motherboard's Sigmatel/IDT onboard sound is one of the devices with drivers that put you on the SP1 blacklist. You can manually install SP1, but you'll have to reinstall the sound drivers after you do so (I did, at least). (I have the Intel DP35DP motherboard in my machine.)
Old 04-07-2008, 06:34 AM

I installed the update as well in one of the earliest of those PCs. Only issues I had seems to have related to the fact that I took the opportunity to upgrade the OCUR tuner BIOS at the same time. That update resulted in my having to have Comcast reininitialize service to the OCUR tuners. No problems with the sound drivers for me, however.
Old 04-07-2008, 07:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks

How early is early? Mine is from the July / August 2007 timeframe...SP1 did show up for me about a week and a half ago and it was about a 100MB upgrade. My system has the Intel Bad Axe II Motherboard.

-- Jim
Old 05-23-2008, 10:43 AM

Quote:

Thanks

Mine is August 2007 and I installed SP1 manually in January or early February. No issues. I also installed 1.16H BIOS with no issues. However the problems I had before are till there. Specifically the PC does not usually stay in sleep, it wakes up for no reason (and yes, I checked what could cause this but haven't figured it out), once it wakes up it doesn't go back to sleep by itself and the biggest problem of all, coming back from sleep in 80% of the cases one of the digital tuners will malfunction (always the same one). Rebooting the machine makes it function again.
Old 06-02-2008, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugen Paval View Post

Mine is August 2007 and I installed SP1 manually in January or early February. No issues. I also installed 1.16H BIOS with no issues. However the problems I had before are till there. Specifically the PC does not usually stay in sleep, it wakes up for no reason (and yes, I checked what could cause this but haven't figured it out), once it wakes up it doesn't go back to sleep by itself and the biggest problem of all, coming back from sleep in 80% of the cases one of the digital tuners will malfunction (always the same one). Rebooting the machine makes it function again.

I'm with you Eugen ... we've been through 3 ATI firmwares and numerous MS updates. Is asking for Sleep really so outlandish? At least I was able to put in some quiet fans (My S85 front fan was pretty noisy out of box) so noise isn't so much of an issue, but I'd rather not waste the electricity.
Old 06-20-2008, 11:59 AM

It took me a couple of days, but I've finally read through this entire post. It has certainly been a wealth of information, inspiration, and trepidation. After my DIY HTPC died, I bit the bullet and ordered a Grand Theater and I've got some questions for the sages here.

I've noticed that most of the posts refer to pre-SP1 VMs. Does anyone have any experience with post-SP1 VMs? I'm hoping that most of the update issues have gone away with SP1 pre-installed and all the ATI drivers up to date.

I also noticed that there were a couple of posters in the Seattle area who've had multiple issues getting things installed. Are there any recent experiences with Comcast in this area? I'm hoping that everyone has gotten their act at least somewhat together by now, but I'm not holding my breath.

Finally - I've cobbled together a series of questions and "things to know" for whenever I call Comcast, but does anyone have specific suggestions/hints/tips/bribes amounts to offer?

Thanks to all the posters who've provided such a great source of info!

Jerry
Old 06-21-2008, 07:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdnguyenk View Post

It took me a couple of days, but I've finally read through this entire post. It has certainly been a wealth of information, inspiration, and trepidation. After my DIY HTPC died, I bit the bullet and ordered a Grand Theater and I've got some questions for the sages here.

I've noticed that most of the posts refer to pre-SP1 VMs. Does anyone have any experience with post-SP1 VMs? I'm hoping that most of the update issues have gone away with SP1 pre-installed and all the ATI drivers up to date.

I also noticed that there were a couple of posters in the Seattle area who've had multiple issues getting things installed. Are there any recent experiences with Comcast in this area? I'm hoping that everyone has gotten their act at least somewhat together by now, but I'm not holding my breath.

Finally - I've cobbled together a series of questions and "things to know" for whenever I call Comcast, but does anyone have specific suggestions/hints/tips/bribes amounts to offer?

Jerry

Things should definitely be better for Post SP1 systems versus all us early adapters. Actually once we got to 1.16H firmware, the DCTs were pretty stable for me. SP1 fixed some network performance issues I was having. And now at SP1 + 1.17 DCT Firmware it's pretty much there. People are still having sleep issues but my system is pretty much recording 24x7 so it's a mute point for me.

I can't speak for Comcast in Seattle, but Comcast here in Detroit was never much of a problem...if you get any resistance in putting a cablecard in a PC, just tell the agent its a Tivo. Also, I am sure, there are links to the Microsoft install guide, be sure you print that and have that available for them if a printed version isn't in the box already.

Other than that, enjoy your new system!

-- Jim
Old 06-23-2008, 03:53 PM

Thanks for the help, Jim. I'm looking forward to getting the system and getting it all setup.

Another question I had for those with recent experience with VM - How is your fan noise? I know there have been instances in the past with very loud case fans. Has this been cleared up?

Thanks!

Jerry
Old 06-24-2008, 03:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks for the help, Jim. I'm looking forward to getting the system and getting it all setup.

Another question I had for those with recent experience with VM - How is your fan noise? I know there have been instances in the past with very loud case fans. Has this been cleared up?

Thanks!

Jerry

Never had fan noise, hard disc noise on the other hand I got...I ended up putting the HTPC in my office and using a XBOX 360 downstairs as an extender on our 50" Plasma.

Hard to say what the new systems sound like.

-- Jim
Old 06-24-2008, 08:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks!

Jerry

My recommendation is to buy a pair of Arctic Cooling 80mm fans with PWM control - they're like $8 each at Newegg, but I just bought a bunch for my builds as sound is very important.
Old 06-24-2008, 08:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Jerry

I don't have experience with the Grand Theater since August of last year (except for a Fuze rep who calls me for troubleshooting help) - but the current iteration of the GT mirrors my products very closely. The biggest problems you're going to have are surrounding IR Trans (which I thankfully don't have to use anymore.) I recommend a Logitech DiNovo Mini with its bluetooth connection, or get an external MS IR receiver (ugly, I know, but stable). Also, I can't possibly imagine why they are sticking with Cyberlink's Play Movie. It's an abomination, and I highly recommend if you're buying a blu-ray drive to wipe ANY hi def software they install and buy a copy of ArcSoft TotalMedia. If it gives you any more pause, myself and most of the other media server companies have jumped ship to ArcSoft, they have their stuff wired. Other than that only do Windows updates when necessary (if something isn't working) - restart your PC every now and then, and check the Optimization box under Tasks - Settings...(can't remember exactly where off the top of my head).

Other than that it's all in how it's installed. Don't be surprised if you need an RF amp and make sure that the pairing numbers are not transcribed incorrectly.
Old 02-06-2009, 11:36 PM

My 14 month old Cinemagic just had one of its tuners quit responding to anything (not even clear QAM). I contacted VM and was offered a new tuner at full list price.

Sheesh...

Thanks Velocity Micro...