Can i get dvd upscaling on my pc? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 03-24-2007, 10:40 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have windows Vista Ultimate and the LG l204wt 20.1" monitor, and i was wondering, is there anyway i can get dvd upscaling on my pc?

I don't quite understand why Vista media center didn't come with it in the first place. MS needs to learn how to future proof its products. You'd think it'd be obvious that dvd upscaling is essential for a modern media center.

Axe-wielding Megalomaniac
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 03-24-2007, 11:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by makingmusic476 View Post

I have windows Vista Ultimate and the LG l204wt 20.1" monitor, and i was wondering, is there anyway i can get dvd upscaling on my pc?

I don't quite understand why Vista media center didn't come with it in the first place. MS needs to learn how to future proof its products. You'd think it'd be obvious that dvd upscaling is essential for a modern media center.

Not sure what you mean. All pc's upscale video content to their native display resolution by default.
post #3 of 17 Old 03-24-2007, 11:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

What is your definition of "upscaling"? Not sure what you mean since you seem to be talking about something else.

Charles
post #4 of 17 Old 03-25-2007, 01:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Actually I had issues with this at first myself, MediaCenter would change the resolution of my monitor to 480p and then play the video. Since installing AnyDVD, I stopped having that issue. Try the trial of it, see if that helps.

XBL/Steam: JHoff80
post #5 of 17 Old 03-25-2007, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I don't know what your computers do, but mine just displays the image in 480p, then stretches it across the screen. It is a very low quality picture.

By upscaling i meant it would upscale the image to 720p, then fill the screen. Or hell, maybe it would just scale it to the size of the screem. As in, it converts the image to be natively 720p, instead of just scaling the image to the screen by stretching it. Like an upscaling dvd player does to a dvd.

Thanks, Jhoff. I'll be sure to check out AnyDVD.

post #6 of 17 Old 03-25-2007, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

That's a "feature" of microsoft bowing to DRM. As folks have suggested you can run anydvd or you could also rip your movies so they're no longer seen as protected content.

Troy

The Non-Profit Home Theater Company will make your HTPC experience much easier.
Link for info on our first project
post #7 of 17 Old 03-26-2007, 12:16 PM
Advanced Member

Might not be the solution that you are looking for, but I'm using the myHD MDP-100 as my DVD player and it upconverts all of my DVDs to 1080i (at least that's what my AE700 shows).

"Can I refill your eggnog, Eddie? Drive you out to the middle of nowhere and leave you for dead?"

Greg Jones
My Former Theater...The Escape
My DVD Collection
post #8 of 17 Old 03-26-2007, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

By upscaling i meant it would upscale the image to 720p, then fill the screen.

That's the default behaviour of all PCs - you just set the output resolution to 1280*720 and the rest is automatic. Windows has been "upscaling" for a decade at least, it's nothing special.
post #9 of 17 Old 03-26-2007, 03:23 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arfster View Post

That's the default behaviour of all PCs - you just set the output resolution to 1280*720 and the rest is automatic. Windows has been "upscaling" for a decade at least, it's nothing special.

Well, from what i can tell, my pc is just stretching the native 480p image of my dvds to fill the screen. They look very blurred and not very detailed at all.

I was watching the Return of the King EE, and it looks very much like the sd pictures from of the Fellowship from here and not at all like the upscaled ones.

post #10 of 17 Old 03-26-2007, 03:32 PM

those pics look just like when I turn my sharpening filters off in ffdshow.

Samsung LN46A650, Core 2 Duo E6400, HD4850, MSI 945P NEO3-F, 4GB PC2-6400, Harmony 659
post #11 of 17 Old 03-26-2007, 05:01 PM
ECH
Advanced Member

I am to looking for the same upconverting capability as the OP. For me, watching DVD's on my pc looks no different then on my LG DVD up converter at 480p (just for the sake of an arguement you get the idea). Some say use ffdshow others say use AnyDVD but fail to explain what you do with these programs once you install them. Do you use these programs along with WinDVD or PowerDVD or do you use AnyDVD or ffdshow alone?
post #12 of 17 Old 03-26-2007, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well, from what i can tell, my pc is just stretching the native 480p image of my dvds to fill the screen. They look very blurred and not very detailed at all.

That's all upscaling is: to change the resolution of a video from its original to a greater one. This is done by any number of ways, but they're all considered upscaling.

For most people, scaling with a good video card is the best way of going about it. Windows' own video renderer actually does the scaling when you change the size of a window, but the video card and drivers have an impact. Generally, VMR9 (video mixing renderer 9) is considered to have the best image quality, but for ATI cards overlay can look pretty good. You should calibrate your monitor colours after you've set things up, so black is black etc. See the stickied posts for more details.

A good route for you might be to use Theatertek. This uses the right renderer to get good scaling and eliminate tearing, and it comes with the Purevideo decoder. You get everything with a nice and tidy interface, works with remotes, does everything for you, has a great picture.

Alternatively, if you have PowerDVD 7, it is also able to access Purevideo functions on an NVidia graphics card (or ATI equivalent), and largely replicates Theatertek's functionality. Personally I don't think it looks quite as nice.

FFDshow: complicated. It doesn't work with PowerDVD, but you can use it with Media Player Classic (free), Theatertek or zoomplayer. Be prepared to learn a lot about video processing if you want to go this route. Frankly, for a 20" monitor there's not much point - its main benefit is for 100" projector setups.
post #13 of 17 Old 03-26-2007, 06:40 PM
ECH
Advanced Member

OK thanks for the heads up. It looks like Intervideo was designed for Intel Clear Video and nVidia Pure Video. Movies look washed out using my x1900xtx. When I tried PowerDVD and enabled Avivo. The picture looks 2x better. I wish I could take snap shots but that feature was disabled in the trial version of Intervideo. However, side by side the PowerDVD looked more Theater (not washed out), more detail from objects in background and had less motion blur (more detail when objects are moving). I am sure someone with a Intel or Nvidia video card shouldn't experience this problem. Theatertek appears to work best with Nvidia (rats).

Edit:
Oh crap, oh crap, oh crap. Using PowerDVD with Avivo enabled for x1900xtx and using AnyDVD fixed the film grain problem I was having. It no longer looks like a 480p stretch to 1920x1200 any more. Oh crap thank you very much!!!! After 2 movies I am not seeing the problems like I did in the past (after rebooting and tweaking a 1-3 settings).

But from what I have experienced so far it's best to get a dvd program that takes advantage of your video card's special features.
post #14 of 17 Old 03-26-2007, 07:57 PM

There are two ways to go:

1. Use a player (and specifically a decoder) that can take advantage of your video card's hardware (does all the work in your video-card).

Or

2. Use a player that can work with FFDSHOW, and do all your upscaling/filtering with FFDSHOW.

1. Is quick and easy :-) and gives pretty good results if your using a decent video-card
2. Is hard but might give you better results.

For info, anydvd removes all the copy protection on dvd's in the background, so when you play a copy-protected dvd, the system sees it as being region free and not copy protected. It also has some other teriffic features such as removing all the user prohibited operations (the things that make you not able to skip those annoying ad's intro's and let you jump to the main menu).

On a side note, you can use most decoders in other players, eg. You can use the windvd (intervideo) decovders in zoomplayer or mpc etc, or purevideo in zoomplayer, theatertek or mpc.

Cheers,
Bitey
post #15 of 17 Old 03-26-2007, 09:55 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

So, basically all the options i have mean i can't use media center anymore?

ARFST, do you know how to implement VMR9? This is all i could find on it, and it seems just a little complicated.

I have a 7900 gtx, btw.

post #16 of 17 Old 03-27-2007, 05:04 PM
ECH
Advanced Member

Still looking good on my end.
However, I tested both PowerDVD and WinDVD again some more after using AnyDVD and now I can't tell the difference between the 2 dvd programs now. Is this normal?
post #17 of 17 Old 03-27-2007, 05:11 PM

I cant comment on being able to use MCE with ffdshow - Im presuming you can by loading an external player (still use the mce interface just use a different player).

VMR9 depends on your player, it'll be an option in there if the player uses it. Its sorta hidden in windows media player and PITA to set it. Its easy in theatertek and zoomplayer

Another thread on that would be the go!

PowerDVD and WIndvd are pretty similar in the raw.. I dont think you can use ffdshow in either of those programs.

Cheers,
Bitey
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page