PC > Receiver > Tape > PC Connection? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 04-08-2007, 08:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am trying to determine the best possible connection from a tape deck back into my PC for encoding tapes to Ogg.

I used to plug in the tape deck directly to my PC using the Line in but I am building a new Pc and will have a different setup. My PC will connect to a Onkyo Receiver using Optical connection, the tape deck will then be connected to the Onkyo receiver. To get audio from the tape deck back to the PC will I need a sound card with Optical In or will the audio come into the PC using the same connection the Receiver is using?

Wow, this forum has gotten huge! 165 viewers.....Thanks for any suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 04-08-2007, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
You plug your deck to Onkyo with the analog RCA white/red, correct?

Then you take white/red out of Onkyo and plug it into your sound card with minijack.

You need RCA white/red on the one end and minijack on the other, or regular white/red RCA and adaptor from 2 RCA to minijack. Either can be found at RadioShack.

No optical is involved whatsoever regarding deck as far as I understand your setup.

You might as well connect your deck to your PC without Onkyo at all, less hassle.

Now, if your deck has optical out and you want to take optical in, then you need a sound card with optical in. Once again, Onkyo can be omitted in this configuration altogether.

Third possibility: you plug RCA into Onkyo and you want optical from Onkyo..what's the point?

Good time to buy computers and computer parts: NEVER
post #3 of 3 Old 04-08-2007, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
http://www.thinkgeek.com/electronics/audio/7a8d/

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=PLUSDECK2-N

you can also get a audio mixer with firewire connections and feed a pc the firewire feed from the mixer.

- Josh

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page