Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 369 Old 11-26-2007, 10:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronj75 View Post

hmmm still no ideas on how to do burning of more than one dvd at a time?

You have three posts with that assertion / question. Nobody is answering you because it is clear that you haven't taken the time to browse the many pages of prior discussion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 369 Old 11-26-2007, 11:25 AM

Multi recording is a question that gets ugly very fast... It was asked about some time ago, but here is a summary of what might be possible. If I have some time I will try to do some testing on this in the future.

First off, you need to be specific about your goals. That could mean a number of different things each of which results in different processes each of which has very different issues.

If you mean sequential recording of the same image onto multiple pieces of media unattended using a single changer, that is not too bad. If you mean recording the same image on multiple changer units simultaneously that is prone to a few more issues. If you mean different images to different slots that has still other issues, and the daddy of them all is recording different images to different slots in multiple changers simultaneously brings all of the issues into a single process...

If working with single images (or one image per changer) you could use the either of the GUIs along with a command line DVD recording tool to do it. Doing more than one burn simultaneously opens the process up to bus speed limits, interrupt overhead issues, and the somewhat flaky nature of the firewire stack itself. Ultimately these issues will at least limit the number of images you can burn in parallel, and how low that limit is will depend on the components in your system and how your bus is connected... Burn-Proof would be a must for this or you would probably end up mass producing coasters.

I beleive you could use multiple instances of the FreeChange gui each running against a separate changer to do this, but I have never tried that and could not say for certain whether you would have problems or not. With each instance of Freechange addressing a different changer and drive and Burn-proof active I cannot see why it would not work... (when I get home tonight I will check to see if I limited FreeChange to a single instance. If so I will remove that limit, but I cannot remember because I coded most of the application some time ago). [EDIT- It is not locked to one instance]

If you want different images for different slots it gets much-much-much harder to do. FreeChange allows the commands to include macro replacement variables for the slot number, so if you had the image files named a particular way you 'might' be able to burn one image per slot by including the slot number in the image file name. You should know that I have never tested that function... I coded the macro replacement option for that purpose, but I never needed to use it so it remains completely untested. Naturally you would again use multiple instances to spread over multiple changers.

As far as I know there really is no user-friendly tool to do this... You end up having to pre-load media, identify the slots the media is in, and then name the image files with slot numbers. This might be possible with empty changers but would be awkward if they are partially loaded... Another consideration is the burning software, you would need to make sure to use something that allowed multiple instances to run at once and operated correctly in that configuration. I cannot directly identify any software that does that for you because I have never tried to find one, but it is more likely that something purely command line based like cdrecord would do this than any gui based software...
post #183 of 369 Old 11-27-2007, 03:28 PM

Thank you for the insight shizzle. ill try to see what i can find for command line based burning programs.
I apologize mediadogg if it seemed like i was being rude about multi posting.
there are at least 3 threads dealing with this equipment and i wasn't sure if i posted in the "correct thread". and yes i did read all the forums before i posted. i spent over a week just reading every thread i could find dealing with the xl1b series and found a few instances of people asking roughly the same question but not 1 actual response. in actuality it seemed like everyone just completely ignored the person instead of saying "we don't know" or "read a little further". i believe one person stated to read back a few responses but nothing definitive. and i think even mentioning the powerwrite program myself claims i did some research.
I'm not a programmer or even the most adept at command line programs but im "playing" with all the programs i can find to see if theres a solution to my problem not just sitting back asking someone to write me a program.

the situation im trying to figure out is burning multiple iso's to different slots of a single changer. i was curious if there was an integration of some sore like powerwrite where it lists the slot number and you asign the function "in this case burn iso1 to slot 1 iso2 to slot 2. etc.." and the program would call up something like imgburn or dvd decrypter or something of that sort.

i wonder if the current price drop to 100bux for a xl1b3 will promote more support in third party programs.
post #184 of 369 Old 11-28-2007, 06:25 AM

@Ronj75

Well my response could have been more polite. I was frustrated that after my efforts to code and document and explain a possible solution, nobody seemed to notice - maybe because it doesn't work, or is too complicated ... I don't know, but I offered to fix any bugs. No response. But every now and then somebody comes along and says - "no way to do that" ...

So, anyway, if you want to try my feeble attempt, and it "almost" works, I will try to fix any bugs in return for your help.

Here is the link (in this thread - search for "scanbatch"):

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...h#post10569123

Basically you can make the gui call your rip/burn program in sequence from a list of slots that you check off in a "picklist" in the Fullslots menu. When your program is called, you get passed the slot number and changer number. There is a pre-coded program (Scanbatch.sample.bat) to do automated creation of ISOs from loaded DVDs included and described in my posts. You want the reverse process, so just change the parameters as necessary.

See why I was a bit frustrated?

Anyway, if you try it - post results / problems, and if I can help, I certainly will try. If it doesn't work, I'll either fix it or shut up!

Edit: A little tip that might help make this simpler: think about naming the files with slot numbers, and store them in directories that include the changer number. Then inside the .bat file, you can specify c:\\myfilestoburn\\changer%1\\slot%2.ISO, or something like that. (%1 = changer, %2 = slot).
post #185 of 369 Old 11-28-2007, 06:51 AM

Based on your description of your needs there may be releif in sight soon... I understand that ImgBurn (a truly excellent command line and GUI burning app for CDs and DVDs) will have some level of support for the changer in its next release. It is not exactly what you were describing, but it looks like it will be close. Basically I understand the developer is adding code to make it possible to queue up images and specify the number of copies you want made of each. The software will then load slots as needed until it finds the media to burn the images. Not quite what you describe, but definitely close enough to be useful. (and also definitely more user friendly than any alternative I know about)

The only catch is that it is not available yet...

There is a thread about this on their forums at:
http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?s...63&#entry57463
post #186 of 369 Old 11-28-2007, 07:11 AM

Edit: Oh well, never mind ...
post #187 of 369 Old 11-29-2007, 06:21 PM

lol ill give your option a shot hopefully by the end of the weekend mediadogg.
i appologize if i seemed a bit rude in my response also. holidays seems to stress us all out haha. especially in michigan where its FREAKING COLD!!!!...

and thanks shizzle. i hope they bring that out soon so we have options. that always helps

i wish i could grab powerwrite and reverse engineer it to work with your program mediadogg lol. but again i suck at dos let alone programming. but damnit i can sure photoshop like a mofo ROFLMAO.
thanks again for the help.
post #188 of 369 Old 12-02-2007, 02:33 PM

I read a (03-18-07) post in the Unofficial VGP-XL1B2 Thread about a "calibration" command.
Is this "calibration" command available in MediaChanger or some other executable?
Does it affect carousel alignment, drive (laser) calibration or what?

I bought a "nearly new in-box" XL1B which unfortunately shipped with a disk
loaded, so made bad noises when powered up and now has a half-belt-tooth
slot misalignment, after being realigned once.

I'm considering cutting a slot with a Dremel tool and cutoff wheel
across the top end of the stepper motor shaft and pulley,
then JB-welding a pin in the slot to preclude subsequent slippage..

Thanks in advance.
post #189 of 369 Old 12-03-2007, 11:27 AM

Quote:

lol ill give your option a shot hopefully by the end of the weekend mediadogg.
i appologize if i seemed a bit rude in my response also. holidays seems to stress us all out haha. especially in michigan where its FREAKING COLD!!!!...

and thanks shizzle. i hope they bring that out soon so we have options. that always helps

i wish i could grab powerwrite and reverse engineer it to work with your program mediadogg lol. but again i suck at dos let alone programming. but damnit i can sure photoshop like a mofo ROFLMAO.
thanks again for the help.

I just did a quick Google on ImgBurn command line options. They are more complete than the DVD Decrypter set, and fully adequate for any kind of scripting. Turns out that the same guy wrote both programs. When I get back home (I'm in Vegas), I will take a look at whether I can perfect a sample script for mediachanger/GUI +ImgBurn that we can all play with to meet individual needs. If I fail, it will probably indicate changes that need to be made in the GUI, which I will try to do - but I'll come back and ask for advice first. Other question is to Shizzle - would it be just as easy/easier to tweak Freechng to handle DVDs as well as CDs?
post #190 of 369 Old 12-04-2007, 06:39 AM

Actually, FreeChange has some DVD handling in it already. It does a number of things including media recognition and attempting Metadata lookup through the WindowsMedia site using the DVDID provided by the DirectShow API (meaning no UPC or title entry is required for most common films). Freechange uses the media detection to allow users to enter different command lines for DVDs or CDs which is the gateway to many activities. It does not have any burning capacity, but I use it to bulk duplicate by creating a single image and then using an ImgBurn command line to actually write to a select group of slots. I have also used it to bulk convert from provided unencrypted media using other external tools. Since there are a pile of legalities with DVD related activities here in the US I deliberately stayed away from creating code to do anything specific beyond metadata lookup and command lines directly in the application. There are however some hooks in it to work with external tools which are mentioned on the help and config screens. Those features are quite experimental so it is quite possible to configure things in a non-working fashion...

Since FreeChange will recognize the media type and lets users specify a different command line for DVD media you should be able to use it to drive most bulk DVD work... As long as the tools being used have some degree of command line automation (which most do). The big problem most people bump into with bulk DVD work is the huge amount of storage needed. I work with videos produced for charities and for Public Service Announcements and use a battery of tools to convert them directly from the media, since they are not encrypted I don't have the legal issues but storage always becomes an issue quite quickly.

The biggest limitation in the program is that it cannot do things like read from one slot and burn the results to another. It is pretty much designed to take the same action for every slot during its scan operations, so for the moment activities like that would require two separate passes and lots of storage to complete. By the way, filters that change region codes and other IFO based information will break the metadata lookup because those kinds of alterations cause the DVDID to change.

PS: ImgBurn is great... Donate to if you can, it really is the best freeware tool for doing anything with unencrypted material. It has the ability to read material into an ISO and MDS file and 'accurately' clone the source material. Most tools don't seem to do this all that well from the command line. I plan to experiment soon with the idea of using multiple instances of FreeChange rather than two passes. I am not sure it will work, but it may be possible to have one instance scanning and reading media from one changer, while another writes to media in another changer... This would eliminate the need for two steps, but there are definitely lots of other timing issues and hardware issues that could be a problem...
post #191 of 369 Old 12-07-2007, 11:10 AM

thanks guys for the help so far and the hours of even more research you gave me to do HAHA. j/k. ive been kinda away from the pc for a week with a severe flu and taking care of my fiance. (way too much to list there). i hope to get back on this week and try a few things out.
thanks again
post #192 of 369 Old 12-08-2007, 10:01 PM

First, my thanks for all the information posted here.

I'd been having success putting scripts together utilizing cdd2wav
and MediaChanger.

However this evening I am now getting

$ ./MediaChanger.exe mount 0
MoveMedium(ChangerSlot, 0, ChangerDrive, 0) failed with 0x8007045d

Other commands like "drivestatus" and "fullslots" run fine. Manual eject
and load, work fine. What is scary is, this was working fine all day.

Does anyone have any ideas why the changer would all of a sudden
refuse to respond to mount ?

I've rebooted but that didn't help. Turning on the changer does its usual
thing, so the carousel seems to be working.

Running on Windows XP pro.

Thanks again for all the useful information and discussion.

-rick
post #193 of 369 Old 12-09-2007, 10:21 AM

Well, I can answer my own question

It appears that the loading tray got "stuck" in the loaded position without
a disc being loaded. I did have one empty slot, and possibly "loaded" that
empty slot.

To fix the problem, with the unit off, I manipulated the mechanisms by hand.
This takes two adjustments.

1. There is a vertical escapement that keeps the tray from moving to the
unloaded position. Just rotate the wheel that moves this escapement. It will only
rotate in one direction when the tray is in the loaded position. Once the escapement
is moved to its upper position....

2. Rotate the wheel on the top of the drive mechanism so that the tray
moves outward from the center. It is to the left if you are looking down on
the device from the front.

Once the tray was in the unloaded position, I turned the machine on
and it came back to life. Lucky me

-rick
post #194 of 369 Old 12-15-2007, 07:37 AM

Link for freechange anyone? the sendspace host is always "busy".

And, is freechange currently the best way to batch-rip with album information and coverart? or am I better off with Mediachanger's GUI and autoload into WMP?
post #195 of 369 Old 12-15-2007, 08:25 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Is it possible some kind soul can tell me how to set up one of these changer with Xlobby? Maybe a tutorial exists? I know several people are doing it and while I did experiment with Mediachanger, I really don't know how to integrate that into Xlobby. Really appreciate any help that can be provided.

Thanks in advance.
post #196 of 369 Old 12-26-2007, 06:52 AM

I have been sick for a while and did not see the messages about problems with the SendSpace links. MediaDogg has kindly offered to host this application, so hopefully we'll get it online for you again soon.

I have been working heavily on this program for the past few days so it cannot be posted yet, but when it is posted it will have a bunch of updates and some new features...

The most noticable change is that the metadata download has been updated to handle cover art and to 'try' to handle downloading plot summaries as well. It is still not perfect, but basically it IDs the media and uses Windows Media to get the info and then hits IMDB for the plot. I also added an slot export and import function that allows media to be removed from the changer from a chosen slot.

I am working towards making this a real media management tool for the Sony changers. It relies heavily on device and drive serial numbers now, so I am not sure it would work with non-Sony changers, but it works pretty well with those. Hopefully I can upload it in the next few days. I am working on ANT DB integration now.

Currently it does not download cover art for CD media, but that is the next thing I hope to add.
Now available at http://mysite.verizon.net/vze39sc9/mediadogg/id10.html
Thanks again to MediaDogg!

Here are a couple of screen shots of what it is looking like
(sorry but they are big)...

post #197 of 369 Old 01-09-2008, 10:42 PM

hey mediadogg. sorry ive been away a bit. i was just reinstalling windows and setting up the software (your gui)... when i start .55x i get the error "Mediachanger drivestatus command failed". looking at the files are some of them supposed to be named hangercontrol? (no C). . when i click on all slots or full slots i get the same error and in the slot listing i get "cchangerControl.init failed with 0x800700aa..."
post #198 of 369 Old 01-10-2008, 10:35 AM

Quote:

hey mediadogg. sorry ive been away a bit. i was just reinstalling windows and setting up the software (your gui)... when i start .55x i get the error "Mediachanger drivestatus command failed". looking at the files are some of them supposed to be named hangercontrol? (no C). . when i click on all slots or full slots i get the same error and in the slot listing i get "cchangerControl.init failed with 0x800700aa..."

Are you recompiling the mediachanger source? There is no need to do that unless you are making changes. If you just want to run the GUI (cooperatively developed by the way, not "my" GUI), then download the GUI-055x package and unzip it.

Edit: I've gotten best results by unzipping to a folder where the resulting path has no blanks. I then put a shortcut on my desktop. Sometimes it seems to matter - sometimes it doesn't, and I never figured out why.
post #199 of 369 Old 01-10-2008, 09:48 PM

ok i feel like a idiot hahaha.
i was grabbing every file i could and extracting to one folder. guess i extracted the source. and like three versions of the gui haha.
btw works great if you follow directions huh?
post #200 of 369 Old 01-11-2008, 06:05 AM

Quote:

ok i feel like a idiot hahaha.
i was grabbing every file i could and extracting to one folder. guess i extracted the source. and like three versions of the gui haha.
btw works great if you follow directions huh?

Sorry for the jab! Glad you're up and running.
post #201 of 369 Old 01-21-2008, 04:43 AM

Mediadogg &/or shizzle -

Have either of you looked at supporting the Powerfile R200/C200 changers? These are the hardware which Sony OEMed for the XL1B, but with the wrinkle that most Powerfile units contain 2 drives.

Thanks

Peter
post #202 of 369 Old 01-22-2008, 01:16 PM

I started looking at supporting a second drive in my code for FreeChange, but the code is largely untested because I do not have one of those changers to test it on. I may end up looking at this again in the future(with Sony dorpping the XL1b), but it would require significnat rewriting to support it because much of the code assumes that a one to one relationship exists between changers and drives. Since that is not true for those devices I would definitely have to re-code pieces of it to make it work. I added it for someone a long time ago, but never got any feedback on it so it just 'withered' I'm afraid...
post #203 of 369 Old 01-22-2008, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterd View Post

Mediadogg &/or shizzle -

Have either of you looked at supporting the Powerfile R200/C200 changers? These are the hardware which Sony OEMed for the XL1B, but with the wrinkle that most Powerfile units contain 2 drives.

Thanks

Wetmore's mediachanger.exe that I upgraded was coded in a way that would make adding support for 2 drives not too hard - just as I added command line support for multiple changers. Unfortunately I wouldn't be able to add that to my plate soon, but the source is available on my web site if you or somebody else wants to take a shot. It's written in C++, and my changes include MS Visual Studio Express 2005 compatibility.
post #204 of 369 Old 02-09-2008, 05:07 AM

Hi, I've been using mediachanger from the gui55 pack with some success (i'm currently using it to allow users to self-service burn files through an ASP page, and queueing up the successive burns in a SQL table). The only problem is I find that when I issue a mediachanger unload command for the user to come pick up their discs, it appears that I have perhaps 5 seconds to pull the disc out of the changer. After that, the changer sucks the disc back in, and mediachanger hard locks (can't kill process, etc.). At this point, I can't issue any more commands using mediachanger in another process, and shutdown hangs so the only recourse is to pull the plug. If I managed to pull the disc out in time before the cover slides back, mediachanger terminates cleanly. Does this happen to anyone else? It seems like mediachanger waits for some kind of confirmation after the unload command, and gets testy if it doesn't get it. I'm not sure if it's just my changer that automatically attempts to do a load after an unload. Thanks.
post #205 of 369 Old 02-13-2008, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miikun View Post

Hi, I've been using mediachanger from the gui55 pack with some success (i'm currently using it to allow users to self-service burn files through an ASP page, and queueing up the successive burns in a SQL table). The only problem is I find that when I issue a mediachanger unload command for the user to come pick up their discs, it appears that I have perhaps 5 seconds to pull the disc out of the changer. After that, the changer sucks the disc back in, and mediachanger hard locks (can't kill process, etc.). At this point, I can't issue any more commands using mediachanger in another process, and shutdown hangs so the only recourse is to pull the plug. If I managed to pull the disc out in time before the cover slides back, mediachanger terminates cleanly. Does this happen to anyone else? It seems like mediachanger waits for some kind of confirmation after the unload command, and gets testy if it doesn't get it. I'm not sure if it's just my changer that automatically attempts to do a load after an unload. Thanks.

Sounds like you are using mediachanger in a sophisticated client / server application. I have a complete overhaul in the works, but it may not be "freeware" - still undedcided on that. I'll make a note of your issue and be sure to fix that in a future upgrade.
post #206 of 369 Old 02-17-2008, 09:53 AM

Quote:

Mediadogg &/or shizzle -

Thanks

I have started on the mediachanger replacement project. Anybody willing to test Powerfile pls send me a PM - please only if you have Powerfile unit(s).

Edit: So far, no PMs - seems like no demand for Powerfile support.
post #207 of 369 Old 03-01-2008, 07:20 PM

Anyone know where I can find the Media Portal Plugin that works with FreeChange? I have looked on Media Portal's site and MediaDogg's site and nothing...

Also, has anyone used meedioS (or meedio ultimate) plugins with FreeChange?
post #208 of 369 Old 03-03-2008, 06:10 AM

Mediadogg,
I have a c200 and sent you a PM. I would love to do the testing for you.
post #209 of 369 Old 03-07-2008, 03:49 PM

Took me a while to get back to this, but I too have PM'ed to offer help testing using an R-200.

Peter
post #210 of 369 Old 03-11-2008, 04:03 PM

Quote:

Took me a while to get back to this, but I too have PM'ed to offer help testing using an R-200.

Hopefully with your help, we can do something. Thanks to you both. I'll be in touch privately.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page