Sony VGX-XL3 - Page 109 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3241 of 3863 Old 04-02-2012, 07:27 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
NewEgg has a shellshocker, thru tomorrow only, for a Ceton 4-channel DCT for under $200:

Edit: damn it's sold out. Hmm, just like that NAS I tried to buy two weeks ago...?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3242 of 3863 Old 04-09-2012, 06:48 AM

Liked: 10
Now why would anyone have wanted the audio card??

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...E:B:SS:GB:1123
post #3243 of 3863 Old 04-09-2012, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by REnninga View Post

REPLY: Gosh, I would buy that motherboard in a heartbeat; but the seller doesn't offer international shipping. Does anyone on the UK side of the pond want to split the deal with me? (I buy the whole works, and the seller ships to you in the UK.

You pull the two UK spec. AverMedia tuner cards out of the package, and I pay for shipment of the motherboard to me in the US. You keep the tuner cards????)

Well, it was just a thought. ...grin...

Cheers!
Robert.

Robert

I'm happy to forward to you.
If you win the bid, PM me your postal address, and I'll send you mine.

Kate
post #3244 of 3863 Old 04-10-2012, 01:38 PM

But I have followed the VGX-XL3 thread for awhile.

A few years ago I bought an XL1 locally, with changer.

Since then I have accumulated 3 XL3's (2 working)

3 XL2A's

2 xl1's

& 7 changers.

SOOoooo...it's time to actually tackle this pile.

I have an actual use for 3 XL3's & 2 XL2's.

I ordered windows 7 upgrade (family pack), one intel (320) 120gb ssd, one Radeon 6770 card, one Vantec 4+1 SATA II 300 and PATA PCI-E Combo Host Card with RAID & two WD Caviar green drives.
I still need to get Intel E6700 chips.

When these arrive, I propose to swap out the graphics card, the e6700 processor, add the 2 WD drives in RAID config, add & upgrade to Windows 7 32bit on one machine. If this goes OK I will do the same on a second XL3. I will get more adventurous on the third-- trying the SSD, & maybe Win 7 64 bit. & maybe intel X6800 processor.

Any suggestions (better performing parts, etc)? Any good source for pricing.

I have scanned through the forum, but after everything arrives I will have to go over it in more detail. I hope somebody has posted a step-by-step upgrade procedure.....

Thanks everybody--Robert
post #3245 of 3863 Old 04-10-2012, 06:44 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Hi Bob,

If I may ask, why the RAID card? Am I incorrect that I see three drives (plus your optical)? In any event, if you're putting 32-bit in you should be fine with the controller, with 64-bit there's a scam going around with manufacturers bait-and-switching Vista drivers that don't work 100%.

Also, if you're interested in a RAM upgrade I may be able to help cheap (I'll know in a week or two). Do bear in mind that 32-bit Windows will only see not quite 4GB.

That 6770 is pushing both the power supply and passive cooling capacities, just so you know. If you're in the US I have a new 4550 you can put in whatever machine you aren't going to try to play the latest games in.

You did not say where you are, so we don't know what to advise regarding recording TV (the main selling point of the XLXs). If in the US we are looking for a guinea pig to try the new Ceton cablecard tuner. :-)
post #3246 of 3863 Old 04-10-2012, 10:17 PM

Thanx Jeff & Ren for your input,

Yes I'm in N California & I hope to do some OTA recording in San Francisco (lots of channels) & Santa Cruz (not so many OTA channels).

Primary use is to archive my large CD collection, & learn about 'lossless' transfer from my CD's to hard drive. I may transfer some LP's.
I'd also like to record some DVD's & play blurays .

I played around with one of the working XL3's running Vista a while back. & recorded some CD's as a test. Very Slow- took all night to record 100 or so CD's. Many disks skipped. But interesting. I have thousands of CD's to archive. I see the Potential to put them in a more accessible format. Needs to be a lot faster & less flaky though. I used to be in the retail stereo business so am a bit of a gadget freak.
Thus my proposed upgrades.

1. add memory to 4gb (done on one XL3)
2. swap video cards. (waiting for card from new egg)
3.swap processor to e6700 (or?? x6800?) not ordered yet.
4. plug in 2 2b drives in place of the 2 250gb drives.
5.upgrade to windows 7 home family.
7. see what happens after each step. Any suggestions for alternative hardware appreciated!

If all this goes ok, I may try to do one machine with a SSD, & maybe win 7 64bit & etc later.

I will be busy for a few weeks, but I will post my results later after the parts arrive & I have time to install.

I may have a spare case later, but not cosmetically like new.

Regards to all & Very Big thanks for all of your work on these machines & for posting your results.

Robert
PS I can always use the memory, etc.
post #3247 of 3863 Old 04-11-2012, 02:10 PM

Quote:

REPLY: Hi again, Kate. I heard back from Michael, the motherboard seller, and it's no go. He isn't comfortable selling to me and shipping it to you in London. And I'm sure he has a very good reason (which I haven't figured out), so I guess I just keep looking for a working XL3 / XL300 series motherboard.

DANG! As we say in the States "Close, but no cigar!" Thanks again for your gracious offer.

Cheers!
robert

That's a pain.
What happens if nobody beats your GBP 5 bid?
post #3248 of 3863 Old 04-15-2012, 06:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Has anyone successfully upgraded your VGX-XL3 / 301 / 302 with the Quad-core Q6600 processor, and had it boot cleanly without "microcode error" or boot freeze requiring the f1 bypass?

I found a little blurb over the weekend which says that the Quad-core Q6600 will work fine with the Sony/ASUS motherboard OEM in the XL3/XL300 series computers. Can anyone verify this?

IF the Q6600 Quad will in-fact work in the XL3/XL300 series, how do the performance specs (bench tests) of the Quad core Q6600 compare to the Core2 Extreme X6800 processor, which others have installed successfully?

Cheers!
Robert.

©REnninga. All rights reserved. Reuse of the above post in whole or in part is prohibited.
VAIO VGX-XL3 DLS (x2) * Windows7(x64) * Xeon X3230 * 8gb PC2-6400 * 3D Blu-ray BD-R/RE
VAIO VGX-XL2A DLS * Windows7(x32) * Pentium D 960 * 4gb PC2-5300 * Blu-ray BD-RE
VAIO VGP-XL2B Server * 'RAID-10' * AMD-A8-5500 * 3D Blu-ray BDXL (project in progress)
VAIO VGP-XL1B 200-Disc Changers (x2) * DVD/CD-RW
post #3249 of 3863 Old 04-16-2012, 06:37 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:

...the Sony VGX-XL3 will support three, 2TB HDDs in 'RAID5' (block-level striping with parity data distributed across all member disks), yielding 4TB of fully redundant internal media storage per XL* system).

RAID-5 O deary me no! http://www.baarf.com/

It sounds like a NAS solution, such as the one rjeffb was looking at (DS212), would be a better idea for storage usable by all those XL3 systems...

All hard drives will fail at some point, it is just a question of time. And that is true of ALL drives!
post #3250 of 3863 Old 04-16-2012, 12:09 PM

QUICK REPLY--

I hope to use 5 or 6 xl's in multiple locations- assuming that I can SUCESSFULLY upgrade ONE unit to get satisfactory performance-

I'm heading off to Big Sur tomorrow- for a couple of weeks--

I'm still waiting for all the parts to arrive to start one upgrde-

Thanks to all for the very useful info

R
post #3251 of 3863 Old 04-16-2012, 10:36 PM

different cities-- packing right now. waiting for intel e6700 to arrive-- (Im also interested to try any other recommended processors- 6800 etc.)
I will start upgrade when I get back in 2 weeks & post results...

Thanks again for your input-R
post #3252 of 3863 Old 04-17-2012, 09:35 AM
Advanced Member

Hey, Darran,

Do you have either or both of those two new SAPPHIRE Radeon HD6670 1GB, GDDR5 cards installed in your XL* systems yet? Anxiously awaiting your feedback ( hopefully reporting success!! )

Cheers!
Robert.

©REnninga. All rights reserved. Reuse of the above post in whole or in part is prohibited.
VAIO VGX-XL3 DLS (x2) * Windows7(x64) * Xeon X3230 * 8gb PC2-6400 * 3D Blu-ray BD-R/RE
VAIO VGX-XL2A DLS * Windows7(x32) * Pentium D 960 * 4gb PC2-5300 * Blu-ray BD-RE
VAIO VGP-XL2B Server * 'RAID-10' * AMD-A8-5500 * 3D Blu-ray BDXL (project in progress)
post #3253 of 3863 Old 04-17-2012, 10:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVsonyfan View Post

RAID-5 O deary me no! http://www.baarf.com/

It sounds like a NAS solution, such as the one rjeffb was looking at (DS212), would be a better idea for storage usable by all those XL3 systems...

REPLY: If budget will not allow for 3-disk NAS solution, and one's ISP speed is too slow and monthly data transfer cap too restrictive for use of a hosted online storage option, then what of the various 'RAID' array schemes would make the most sense for a 3-matched HDD array in the XL* system hard disk rack?
(Assume the OS is on a separate drive and that you want full backup of your stored media files.)

Weighing the choices supported by the on-board Intel controller I still come up with 'RAID 5'. What am I missing?

Cheers!
Robert.

post #3254 of 3863 Old 04-18-2012, 05:21 AM

Quote:

Hey, Darran,

Do you have either or both of those two new SAPPHIRE Radeon HD6670 1GB, GDDR5 cards installed in your XL* systems yet? Anxiously awaiting your feedback ( hopefully reporting success!! )

Cheers!
Robert.

No news yet, I have not liberated them from storage yet!

All hard drives will fail at some point, it is just a question of time. And that is true of ALL drives!
post #3255 of 3863 Old 04-18-2012, 05:27 AM

Yes I did recommend that to you as you were not open to the idea of NAS at the time. Plenty more websites with stories about why RAID-5 is not a great idea along with woes of recovering data.

If we look at a standard system, I think from memory the drive cage can take 3 drives in total. (I'm not counting those bodged with velcro or blutac to inside or outside of case!). This would seem to be best used with a system drive SSD and two large mechanical drives in a mirror (RAID-1), assuming external NAS storage was not a viable option.

RAID-5 has severe performance degradation with a failed drive within the raidset which lasts until the failed drive is replaced and resynchronisation is fully completed. The rebuild time can be quite a length process and performance degraded until it completes. The read errors that can occur with data corruption due to partial media failure mean the data could become corrupted before a drive failure occurs meaning a recovery from backup is needed.

Most people charge into a RAID-5 setup without fully understanding the limitations of it. RAID is not a form of backup, it provides resilience of the available data. A backup of the data in some form is still required (some firmware upgrades can wipe raidset data).

RAID-5
... gives more available capacity than other RAID levels over same spindle count
... is slower for writes due to parity check calculation and writing data plus parity
... generally has a penalty on writes smaller than the block size. Shrinking the blocksize of the RAID5 device, slows down the RAID5.
... needs prolonged recovery time after failed drive (see above), integrity can be lost should another drive fail before it completes meaning complete loss of data.

In short, I wouldn't touch RAID-5 with a 10 metre cattle prod!

The total amount of available storage will always be exceeded in a shorter time than you think and ultimately the cost will be down to how much you value your data... The DS212 paired with an external disk for backups would be ideal. You pays your money and takes your choice.

Just my opinion on it, I'm sure you all will have your own!

post #3256 of 3863 Old 04-18-2012, 05:48 AM

hi everyone need abit of help you have no doubt been over this before but have been looking on here and still can't get it to work, i have a 8500gt running windows 7 64 bit and can't get the sound to work using hdmi to the tv i have updated to the last driver from sigmatel but its driving me nuts, in the sound properties i am only getting option for line audio and digital audio s/pdif and am sure when the 7600 was installed it gave me the option of hdmi. please can anyone help.
post #3257 of 3863 Old 04-18-2012, 02:20 PM

hi think i know why i have no sound in my nvidia control panel when it says how to connect 8500gt to tv it only lists dvi connection not hdmi, i still am watching computer through hdmi but without sound can someone tell me how to get my contol panel to show hdmi connection.
post #3258 of 3863 Old 04-18-2012, 03:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lardys View Post

hi think i know why i have no sound in my nvidia control panel when it says how to connect 8500gt to tv it only lists dvi connection not hdmi, i still am watching computer through hdmi but without sound can someone tell me how to get my contol panel to show hdmi connection.

REPLY: Is this the same issue you were having back in January, or a new occurrence?

Try accessing your "Device Manager" (Control Panel > System and Security > Device Manager) and look to see if there are any unknown devices shown, or devices shown to be not working. If so, try doing a driver update directly from the Device Manager.

In Sound, Video and game controllers do you see an Nvidia High Definition audio device or some audio device associated with the Nvidia card? If so, what is the status?

Also in Sound, Video and game controllers do you see a "Sigma Tel High Definition Audio Codec"? If so, when you double-click on it does it show you "This device is working properly"?

Windows 7 64bit and Sigma Tel High Definition Audio CODEC Problems
http://ipggi.wordpress.com/2009/10/2...odec-problems/

Note: Here's the older 'Vista' Sigma Tel driver, which is supposed to work fine under both Windows 7 32-bit and 64-bit. It's a little under 9 mb download from the Dell .ftp website. The drivers are probably available as well from the Sony UK support site for your model; but some who have upgraded doing a clean install of Windows 7 without first following the Sony upgrade recommendations and saving and transferring their Sony VGX-XL* Vista settings, have found after the upgrade that their systems are no longer recognized as Sony VGX-XL* Digital Living Systems and they are no longer able to download and successfully install any Sony support driver updates offered from the support page.

Caution: I have not personally tried to install this driver (because I don't have a problem with my sound in 32-bit), so before attempting to use it be sure to set a 'system restore point' ... in case you 'screw the pooch' and need to atone for your digital sins.
ftp://ftp.us.dell.com/audio/R171786.exe

Did the HDMI sound work at all after your Windows 7 64-bit upgrade, or stop working with that upgrade?

If it stopped working with that upgrade, I would suggest going to the NVidia website to see if the missing High Definition audio drivers are available there

Cheers!
Robert.

post #3259 of 3863 Old 04-18-2012, 04:53 PM

hi robert thanks for your help i had windows 7 64 bit installed and working with sound using the standard 7600 card iv'e had the 8500gt for some time and wanted a better game card so on installing this there's no sound, the strange thing is it doesn't give me the option in the sound properties to select hdmi only line and s/pdif also when i go to install latest driver for sigmatel it says another instance is already running so when i look in task manager there's about 3 running when i start to install which is strange as only pressing once, also it seems to want to install in a folder called c/program files and c/program files x86 which is i think 32 and 64 bit folders. you may think why bother but because it should work i can't give up. tried drivers on website you gave but no joy, any ideas.
post #3260 of 3863 Old 04-18-2012, 05:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

hi robert thanks for your help i had windows 7 64 bit installed and working with sound using the standard 7600 card iv'e had the 8500gt for some time and wanted a better game card so on installing this there's no sound, the strange thing is it doesn't give me the option in the sound properties to select hdmi only line and s/pdif also when i go to install latest driver for sigmatel it says another instance is already running so when i look in task manager there's about 3 running when i start to install which is strange as only pressing once, also it seems to want to install in a folder called c/program files and c/program files x86 which is i think 32 and 64 bit folders. you may think why bother but because it should work i can't give up. tried drivers on website you gave but no joy, any ideas.

REPLY: My first thought -- which was suggested previously -- I'll save for my second comment.

My second thought is get rid of all of those instances showing in your Device Manager. One of the best, most reliable ways I know to totally bugger the installation of an upgrade or replacement device is to forget to remove the old device drivers in Device Manager. So, ....
*make sure there are no other unknown devices or devices not working properly (as noted my previous post),
*set your System Restore point,
*get rid of (delete) all of those instances of Sigma Tel,
*download the fresh copy of the Sigma Tel driver,
*install it and
*restart the computer. See if that resolves the problem.

Back to my first thought: I suggest you follow the better advice offered back in January. Ditch the Nvidia card and get yourself a $20-$30 (GBP 13-20)Sapphire, Low Profile, fan-less, 1GB DDR3 video graphics card (such as the HD5450, one of the most common examples used by members of this thread). Make sure you remove all of the associated drivers for one video/graphics card before installing a different video/graphics card or you are just asking for problems.

Cheers!
Robert.

Always remove old drivers before installing the new device.

post #3261 of 3863 Old 04-19-2012, 02:12 PM

thanks robert for your help all is working with the 8500gt have ordered a 5450 1gb card which i should of done last time i asked for help,
post #3262 of 3863 Old 04-19-2012, 03:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

thanks robert for your help all is working with the 8500gt have ordered a 5450 1gb card which i should of done last time i asked for help,

REPLY: Great! (on both counts). Good that you are back in business for now, and that you'll soon have a better graphics card to enjoy in Windows 7.

As you know from reading this thread, the HD5450 is not "the latest and greatest", but it is a lot more graphics card than you have been using, ...and for a paltry sum. And it pulls the right amount of power off your power supply ....and makes no noise. Win, win, win!

When your card arrives, and you are prepared to install it, be sure to follow all the installation advice offered on this thread previously; here are some tips repeated:

*before powering down to install the new card, go back into Device Manager and remove all Nvidia associated drivers
*before exiting Device Manager, from the top menu click "View > Show hidden devices" and then review all of the revealed devices to see if there are any remnants of Nvidia associated drivers from your various installations, and if present delete them too
*exit, shut down and disconnect the power cable from the power supply
*wear a grounding strap if you have one and also touch the metal top of the power supply to discharge any built-up static electricity from your hands and body
*if you get up and walk around, discharge your static again whenever you return to the computer
*if you don't own a grounding strap, touch the power supply to discharge and wear a pair of non-conducting rubber gloves
*install the new card and software according to the provided Sapphire directions, being careful not to touch any of the printed circuits or solder points with your bare hands.

Once your card and software and drivers are installed be sure to review the installation report at the end of the software installation process to make sure it reports to you ""success" or "successful" for each component of the installation.

Once everything is hunky-Dory, and you have set your resolution, use the built-in update utility in Catalyst Control Center to update your Drivers and Catalyst Control Center software from the AMD website to the latest (the most current is AMD Catalyst software suite 12.3 as of today's date, April 19, 2012)

If you are using a HDTV for your monitor, and you have any glitches with HDTV resolution and/or screen size settings using "HDTV" resolution modes (1080p, 720p, 1080i), then use the "Basic" resolutions option instead and choose the resolution which exactly matches the "native resolution" of your HDTV (example: if your HDTV's "native resolution" is 1360 x 760, use that resolution choice in "basic" rather than 720p).

Come back and let us know when you have finished, and if all went well.

Cheers!
Robert.

post #3263 of 3863 Old 04-20-2012, 09:48 AM
Advanced Member

Some tools for those of us who continue to push into new territory with our dear ol' XL* systems!

How to Benchmark Your Windows PC: 5 Free Benchmarking Tools
http://www.howtogeek.com/111733/how-...marking-tools/

Cheers!
Robert.

post #3264 of 3863 Old 05-01-2012, 01:11 AM

Liked: 19
I hope someone here can help me with this.

I have the XL301 upgraded with a e6700 cpu @ 2.67GHz, 4gig ram installed and the HD5450.

Since upgrading the HD5450 software to Catalyst Version 12.4 I have been having problems with the sound. I can restore sound by reinstalling the said software but when I reboot the computer the sound has stopped again. the sound is through HDMI to my tv and used to work fine before this upgrade, when I right click on the sound icon and select "Playback devices" AMD HDMI Output is there, but, it says no device connected. When I reinstall Catalyst Version 12.4 everything is ok again until the next restart.

Another problem (Not sure if related?), since the upgrade to Catalyst Version 12.4 I get the error "kdbsync.exe has stopped working"

I have search google so many times but have been unable to find a fix for these issues, any help would be much appreciated.

regards,

Oliver

By Oliver Stones of VGX-XLpedia

(PC) XL301 (OS) Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit (Hard Drives) Samsung SSD 830 125GB (Processors) X3230 QuadCore (Memory) 4GB DDR2 (Graphics) ATI Radeon HD 6670
post #3265 of 3863 Old 05-01-2012, 02:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigoliver View Post

"... the sound is through HDMI to my tv and used to work fine before this upgrade"

REPLY: Hello Oliver. Based on your statement above, I had a thought. This is Windows 101, I know, but sometimes we overlook the first line of defence....

Have you already tried "System Restore"? If not, boot into "Safe Mode", then open "System Restore" and choose a restore point prior to the installation of the Catalyst Software Suite 12.4 upgrade. (Hopefully you will have a restore point prior to the upgrade). Let us know if that resolves the problem.

Cheers!
Robert.

post #3266 of 3863 Old 05-01-2012, 04:57 AM

Thanks Robert,

I assumed both issues must be driver related so I followed this guide I found on google...

http://www.overclock.net/t/988215/ho...graphics-cards

The sound seems to be working fine now, but, I still have the annoying "kdbsync.exe has stopped working" I can live with this or probably just disable it from start up.

I don't really want to revert back to an earlier software suit as my 4hd channel never used to play, since the upgrade it plays great just like all the other HD channels.

Cheers,

Oliver

(PC) XL301 (OS) Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit (Hard Drives) Samsung SSD 830 125GB (Processors) X3230 QuadCore (Memory) 4GB DDR2 (Graphics) ATI Radeon HD 6670
post #3267 of 3863 Old 05-01-2012, 09:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigoliver View Post

Thanks Robert,

I assumed both issues must be driver related so I followed this guide I found on google...

http://www.overclock.net/t/988215/ho...graphics-cards

The sound seems to be working fine now, but, I still have the annoying "kdbsync.exe has stopped working" I can live with this or probably just disable it from start up.

I don't really want to revert back to an earlier software suit as my 4hd channel never used to play, since the upgrade it plays great just like all the other HD channels.

Cheers,

Oliver

REPLY: Hello Oliver. Glad to read that you found a workaround.

As clarification, the reason I suggested you try the pre-upgrade "System Restore" point was diagnostic (letting us know if that resolves the problem). That would allow you to determine if the problem is, in fact, related to the upgrade or if another conflict, glitch, corruption has occurred (but it wouldn't permanently change anything on your system; you would still be able to return to current status by doing another System Restore).

When the Catalyst Software Suite upgrades do not install correctly it seems the only surefire way to fix the bugs is to do a clean re-installation of the upgrade, starting from an earlier, perfectly working version of the software (at least this has been my experience). In fact, I have actually deleted all AMD related drivers in 'Device Manager' and reverted first to the original software again by doing a clean installation from the CD ....and then upgraded again from the AMD website).

If the earlier System Restore point corrected the issue then you could try a fresh download of the Catalyst Software Suite 12.4 (to a folder on your hard disk) and right-click on the downloaded file and choose 'Run as Administrator'.
And it's always important to review the report at the end of the installation to verify that each installation step reports "success" or "successful".

It's a very important to make sure there are no remnants, drivers, from earlier video/graphics cards (Nvidia, etc.) and/or failed Catalyst upgrades showing in 'Device Manager'. Making certain to use the drop-down menu to 'Show hidden devices'.

You shouldn't have to disable anything in startup or elsewhere in order to eliminate post-installation gremlins .... if you have a proper, conflict-free/error-free successful installation of the Catalyst Software Suite. The problems will probably just reoccur with your next upgrade, or the upgrade may fail.

If your issues reoccur, or popups are persistent, you might give this diagnostic and the "start clean and fresh" philosophy a try. It has always worked for me for video and audio glitches.

Cheers!
Robert.

post #3268 of 3863 Old 05-04-2012, 07:07 PM
Advanced Member

UPDATE: Well, I had a feeling that if I waited long enough Sapphire would offer a rebate on the coveted HD6670 low profile video graphics card. And today they did!!! I have just ordered mine from Newegg, ... which means that Darran had better get busy digging his XL systems out of storage or I may just get my HD6670 card installed before he does! (How's THAT for a cross-pond Yank:Brit challenge, Darran?) HA!

If anyone else is interested in acquiring one, here's the Newegg link:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814102958

Was $99.99. Final price: $74.99 after mail-in rebate. Free shipping, plus free gift "Dirt 3" game (a $49.99 value)

Cheers!
Robert.

post #3269 of 3863 Old 05-05-2012, 03:28 AM

Quote:

REPLY: Hello Oliver. Glad to read that you found a workaround.

As clarification, the reason I suggested you try the pre-upgrade "System Restore" point was diagnostic (letting us know if that resolves the problem). That would allow you to determine if the problem is, in fact, related to the upgrade or if another conflict, glitch, corruption has occurred (but it wouldn't permanently change anything on your system; you would still be able to return to current status by doing another System Restore).

When the Catalyst Software Suite upgrades do not install correctly it seems the only surefire way to fix the bugs is to do a clean re-installation of the upgrade, starting from an earlier, perfectly working version of the software (at least this has been my experience). In fact, I have actually deleted all AMD related drivers in 'Device Manager' and reverted first to the original software again by doing a clean installation from the CD ....and then upgraded again from the AMD website).

If the earlier System Restore point corrected the issue then you could try a fresh download of the Catalyst Software Suite 12.4 (to a folder on your hard disk) and right-click on the downloaded file and choose 'Run as Administrator'.
And it's always important to review the report at the end of the installation to verify that each installation step reports "success" or "successful".

It's a very important to make sure there are no remnants, drivers, from earlier video/graphics cards (Nvidia, etc.) and/or failed Catalyst upgrades showing in 'Device Manager'. Making certain to use the drop-down menu to 'Show hidden devices'.

You shouldn't have to disable anything in startup or elsewhere in order to eliminate post-installation gremlins .... if you have a proper, conflict-free/error-free successful installation of the Catalyst Software Suite. The problems will probably just reoccur with your next upgrade, or the upgrade may fail.

If your issues reoccur, or popups are persistent, you might give this diagnostic and the "start clean and fresh" philosophy a try. It has always worked for me for video and audio glitches.

Cheers!
Robert.

Thanks for your continued help,

I dont have much time for playing around with the pc at the mo but will give it a go when I get round to it.

The sound problem is back, well in fact it was never fixed, I had noticed it sometimes worked and sometimes not. I thought it was random, but, I now know what causes it.
When I reboot or restart the PC with my TV OFF or on STANDBY then turn on the TV, the AMD HDMI Output will be grey out and will say "no device connected". I have found two options to "fix" the sound, either restart the pc with my TV turned ON or unplug my HDMI cable from the TV and reconnect it.
The new driver isn't talking to my TV as well as the last driver did. I will see if I can find anything about this on google but my wife is nagging me at the mo, so for the time being Ill just have to unplug and replug the TV HDMI cable when this happens (or make sure I turn the TV on first )

Cheers,

Oliver

post #3270 of 3863 Old 05-06-2012, 07:29 PM
Advanced Member

Windows 8 won't include Media Center automatically
One of the new changes that Microsoft is introducing to it's upcoming operating system is that Windows Media Center will only be available as an upgrade.
http://news.cnet.com/8301-10805_3-57...automatically/

If this means that Windows Media Center will finally be installed and uninstalled like any other application (and more importantly will be repairable or reinstallable when it goes 'FUBAR' (as Media Center has always seemed to want to do, for entirely inexplicable reasons) -- then this move by Microsoft could be a very good thing indeed. No more reinstalling Windows for no other reason except to try to fix Media Center!

Cheers!
Robert.

Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
Sony , Blu Ray Players , Xbox 360 250gb Console With Kinect
Gear in this thread - 250gb by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page