Sony VGX-XL3 - Page 131 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-03-2015, 10:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwaiv View Post
We are still looking for VGX-XL201/202 users who might be interested in testing the new release, please PM me if your interested. VGX-XL3/301/302 have been tested successfully however we are still accepting new testers with these systems if anyone is interested.
Hello, John!
Can't send pm to anyone, because have a low post count
I can test new bios on P5-BW, that was pulled from XL201 if it still needed.

Stanislav.
REnninga likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2015, 11:53 PM
Advanced Member

Location: "Hopelessly Lost in the Digital Wilderness" - Pacific Northwest Coast of the USA
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Mr.Big BIOS Update v.1.2 Beta tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by kepocuhka View Post
Hello, John!
Can't send pm to anyone, because have a low post count
I can test new bios on P5-BW, that was pulled from XL201 if it still needed.

Stanislav.

Hello Stanislav. Great to hear from you!

You are already set up to join us in the Beta Test forum, your account is unlocked and you are assigned "moderator" status again. All you need to do now is click on the link (below) and enter your user name and password that you used for our previous Beta testing. Here's the link:

http://htpc.jwaiv.co.uk/Forum/index.php

I don't know how frequently John monitors this forum thread (I keep an eye on it), so I will also send this reply to you by 'PM' and also a copy to your previous email address, and I will copy John with both replies. Best regards, and ....

Cheers!
Robert.
kepocuhka likes this.

©REnninga. All rights reserved. Reuse of the above post in whole or in part is prohibited.
VAIO VGX-XL3 (x2) * Windows 10 T.P. [64-bit] * Xeon X3230 Quad 2.66GHz * 8GB PC2-6400 * 3D Blu-ray BD-R/RE
VAIO VGX-XL2A * Windows 10 T.P. [32-bit] * Pentium D 960 Dual 3.60GHz * 4GB PC2-5300 * Blu-ray BD-RE
VAIO VGP-XL1B / XL1B2 (x2) 200-Disc Media Changers * DVD/CD-RW
VAIO VGP-XL1B Media Server * 20x HDD 'RAID10' * 3D Blu-ray BDXL (project in progress)
Old 03-04-2015, 06:25 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Hi all, long time no sqwawk, been very busy with other hobbies and family stuff....

Right! Thats the pleasantries over

Down to business, I just installed the new bios 1.2 and went to enable ahci, did the registry mods to enable in Windows etc etc all to no avail.

I cannot get my machine to boot in ahci mode.... What am I missing?

Cheers,
Al.

Found it, it was the start key for atapi! Changed that to zero as well as the others and whppiedoo...... Although the 'Worthless Experience Index' has now dropped from 6.9 to 6.0 ???
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screen.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	239.8 KB
ID:	582937  
REnninga likes this.

2x XL301 Intel 80 Gb SSD, 4Gb ram, ATI HD6670, E6700, USB HDTV Nano DVBT2, TBS DVBS2 satellite cards, Windows 7 Ultimate
1 x XL100 2 Gb Ram 6Tb Storage running Windows Home Server
Samsung 46ES8000 smart TV

Last edited by Sid the cat; 03-04-2015 at 07:25 AM. Reason: Success
Old 03-04-2015, 09:52 AM
Advanced Member

Location: "Hopelessly Lost in the Digital Wilderness" - Pacific Northwest Coast of the USA
Beta Test Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid the cat View Post
Hi all, long time no sqwawk, been very busy with other hobbies and family stuff....

Right! Thats the pleasantries over

Down to business, I just installed the new bios 1.2 and went to enable ahci, did the registry mods to enable in Windows etc etc all to no avail.

I cannot get my machine to boot in ahci mode.... What am I missing?

Cheers,
Al.

Found it, it was the start key for atapi! Changed that to zero as well as the others and whppiedoo...... Although the 'Worthless Experience Index' has now dropped from 6.9 to 6.0 ???
Hello Al,

Long time indeed. Good to hear from you, and glad you found the additional registry change. You are correct, Windows Experience Index is "worthless" HA! Give Passmark Performance Test 8 a spin if you want some more reliable "before and after" upgrades feedback:

http://passmark.com/products/pt.htm

Al, be sure to post all questions and Beta test feedback in the Beta Test forum, rather than this thread (so that we can keep all of the relevant feedback in one place):

http://htpc.jwaiv.co.uk/Forum/index.php

Cheers!
Robert.
PS. How's Sid?

©REnninga. All rights reserved. Reuse of the above post in whole or in part is prohibited.
VAIO VGX-XL3 (x2) * Windows 10 T.P. [64-bit] * Xeon X3230 Quad 2.66GHz * 8GB PC2-6400 * 3D Blu-ray BD-R/RE
VAIO VGX-XL2A * Windows 10 T.P. [32-bit] * Pentium D 960 Dual 3.60GHz * 4GB PC2-5300 * Blu-ray BD-RE
VAIO VGP-XL1B Media Server * 20x HDD 'RAID10' * 3D Blu-ray BDXL (project in progress)

Last edited by REnninga; 03-04-2015 at 09:57 AM.
Old 03-04-2015, 10:44 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Hi, all!
Robert and John, thanks for the reminder, I had forgotten about the existence of this small but cozy forum. In the near future, I will leave my comment about the test.

By the way, I was interested in new and no less ambitious project. We formed a group of enthusiasts, who take used computers as a gift, and after the cleaning and maintenance give them to needy children, is not uncommon in children's homes. Yesterday we had a kind of anniversary, 18 months of the project, we finally broke the mark the hundredth donated a computer and do not intend to stop there.

Best wishes!
Stanislav.
REnninga likes this.
Old 03-09-2015, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by REnninga View Post
Hello Chris,

If you find that your local Radio Shack no longer carries the electrolytic 820uf capacitors (be sure to buy the correct voltage rating), and they don't have them stocked in the warehouse to mail direct to you, you might consider ordering "solid" polymer replacements. They're more expensive, but also more robust (you won't be replacing them again in the future).
If you look at the capacitors ringing the CPU socket you'll note that Sony/ASUStek made the decision to go with solid polymer caps, and nearly all newer quality video/graphics cards have switched to solid caps. Electrolytic capacitors have been the vulnerable weak link on computer PCB's. So I've been replacing any blown electrolytic caps with solid for the past year. Food for thought (or for future reference) ...

Cheers!
Robert.

FYI, if you get up and running again and are considering upgrading your CPU, rather than going with a faster Core2 Duo dual-core I recommend updating your BIOS with our Mr.Big BIOS Update Project release, and then install a Xeon X3230 Quad Core 2.66GHz.
They are relatively plentiful and inexpensive on eBay (in the $40 to $50 range), and are a huge home theater pc performance improvement over the dual-core Core2 Duo's (especially when coupled with a SSD for the system drive).
Just out of interest chaps,
I've just done a major spring clean of the internals on our main 301 and noticed doming on a couple of caps near the memory slots.
I'm going to have to get some eagle eyed youngster with a slodering iron to do this for me, I can't see well enough anymore
I noticed you said they were 820uf but whats the voltage please.
Cheers,
Al.

Ps following bios update and change to AHCI the difference is almost imperceptible but the machine appears to be much smoother!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	screen.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	239.8 KB
ID:	593186   Click image for larger version

Name:	Passmark.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	338.4 KB
ID:	593194  
REnninga likes this.

2x XL301 Intel 80 Gb SSD, 4Gb ram, ATI HD6670, E6700, USB HDTV Nano DVBT2, TBS DVBS2 satellite cards, Windows 7 Ultimate
Old 03-09-2015, 01:18 PM
Advanced Member

Motherboard capacitors replacement

Quote:
Just out of interest chaps,
I've just done a major spring clean of the internals on our main 301 and noticed doming on a couple of caps near the memory slots.
I'm going to have to get some eagle eyed youngster with a slodering iron to do this for me, I can't see well enough anymore
I noticed you said they were 820uf but whats the voltage please.
Cheers,
Al.

Hello Al,
You will find the voltage and capacitance ratings printed on the jackets of each capacitor. You need to replace a capacitor with one of the same voltage and capacitance (you can actually use a higher voltage rating, but try for the same), You can use either a electrolyte filled capacitor, or a higher quality solid capacitor (such as those surrounding the CPU socket). I spend a little more and use solid capacitors for replacement. They are much less likely to blow. As goes the old adage: "Do it right, and do it once."

You will also find that the capacitors are marked for pos. + and neg. - orientation. When removed from the motherboard you will see that the capacitor's position on the PCB is silkscreened as a circle, with one half of the circle shaded (like a half-moon. You will see corresponding +/- markings on the jacket of the capacitor (often it is just a broad, dark stripe top to bottom).
You should be able to find what you need on eBay, or at your local electronics retailer. They are quite inexpensive and easy to replace. The headache is pulling the motherboard. HA!
You might want to watch a couple of informative YouTube videos on the subject of replacing capacitors, if you have any reservations.

Have fun! And as always, ...

Cheers,
Robert.

Last edited by REnninga; 03-09-2015 at 01:25 PM.
Old 03-10-2015, 01:38 AM

Hi Robert,

I know all that, it was a timesaver to ask for the voltage to save me from stripping the unit to find out the voltage. I was hoping to get the caps prior to stripping everything down to save time.
The WAF is seriously affected if there is downtime with this unit lol

Cheers
Al.

Old 03-10-2015, 03:13 AM
Advanced Member

Capacitors replacement

Quote:
Hi Robert,

I know all that, it was a timesaver to ask for the voltage to save me from stripping the unit to find out the voltage. I was hoping to get the caps prior to stripping everything down to save time.
The WAF is seriously affected if there is downtime with this unit lol

Cheers
Al.

Hello Al,
I have attached a large photo image of the P5BW-MB Rev.2.00 motherboard. If you can open the photo file in Windows Paint, mark with circles or arrows the specific capacitors you wish to replace, and send the edited photo file back this way I can check the voltage and capacitance of those specific units for you on my spare motherboard.

There are I believe 8 different capacitor types which are near the memory slots, each with its own values. So I would need to know which ones, to answer your question re: voltage and capacitance.

Cheers,
Robert.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Large_P5BW-MB Rev.2.0.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	274.8 KB
ID:	594705  

Old 03-22-2015, 11:52 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Lightbulb Mr.Big BIOS Update Project v1.2 - Coming 27th March 2015

The Mr.Big BIOS Update Version 1.2 contains the factory original BIOS files and three versions of the modified BIOS – Basic, Standard & Advanced:

Basic Edition - Only available for P5LP-MB based systems (VGX-XL1, XL2 & XL100) - See "Note 1"

• Updated Processor Microcode - These BIOS updates contain updated and new microcode to enable these systems to support processors not originally shipped or supported in these systems.
  • SpeedStep (EIST) fixes - Corrected SpeedStep values have been included to prevent system lockups when some of the processors supported by these BIOS updates enter into low power state.
  • Version Info - Information has been added to the "Exit" tab of the BIOS that will indicate which version of the modified BIOS you are using.
  • Updated Boot Splash Screen Imagery - Replaces the factory BIOS black and white VAIO® logo, and Intel® splash screen images.

Standard Edition - Only available for P5BW-MB based systems (VGX-XL201, XL202, XL3, XL301 and XL302)

• Includes updates from the Basic Edition.
  • SATA Mode Switch - There is now an option on the "Advanced" tab of the BIOS so that AHCI mode can be selected instead of RAID if required, an IDE legacy mode is also available. See “Note 2”

Advanced Edition - Only available for P5BW-MB based systems (VGX-XL201, XL202, XL3, XL301 and XL302)

• Includes updates from the Standard Edition.
  • Intel RAID ROM updated from "v6.1.0.1002" to "v8.5.0.1030" - May achieve slight increases in performance and stability along with better compatibility with newer versions of Intel Rapid Storage Technology. This updated Intel RAID ROM also has a modification discovered by Dufus that will allow TRIM commands to pass through to a solid state drive RAID0 array and prevent the eventual decline in performance caused by lack of TRIM. See “Note 2”
  • AHCI ROM updated from "Version iSrc 1.01" to "Version iSrc 1.20E" - Improves boot time/drive detection and may improve performance and stability when compared to iSrc 1.01.
  • Intel LAN Boot ROM updated from "v1.2.40 Beta-4" to "v1.2.50" - Always hated seeing the word "BETA" in the BIOS of a high end product shipped by Sony.

Note 1: If you are an existing Mr.Big BIOS Update Project v1.05 or v1.1 user on P5LP-MB based systems (VGX-XL1, XL2 & XL100) you do not need to upgrade, there are no new updates for these systems at this time.

Note 2: See Mr.Big BIOS Update Project Troubleshooting & Notes section of the installation guide for further information on these updates.

Check back on Friday 27th March 2015 for download links.
REnninga likes this.
Old 03-27-2015, 08:19 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Lightbulb Mr.Big BIOS Update Project v1.2 - Released

Mr.Big BIOS Update Project v1.2

Mr.Big BIOS Update Project Guide v1.2 (PDF)
REnninga and bigoliver like this.
Old 05-14-2015, 10:56 PM
Advanced Member

Microsoft reveals all editions of Windows 10

The new operating system service will launch in late July
in 111 languages, in 190 different countries.

Written by Andre Yoskowitz (Google+) - May 14, 2015

Microsoft has revealed all of the editions of Windows 10 today, giving names to the operating system that will power mobile devices, desktops, business servers, the Xbox and even ATMs and other Internet of Things devices.
The operating system will launch in late July in 111 languages in 190 different countries.

Here is the full list:
* Windows 10 Home is the consumer-focused desktop edition. It offers a familiar and personal experience for PCs, tablets and 2-in-1s. Windows 10 Home will help people do great things, both big and small. With it, they will be more productive and have more fun thanks to a long list of new innovations: Cortana, the world's most personal digital assistant; the new Microsoft Edge web browser; Continuum tablet mode for touch-capable devices; Windows Hello face-recognition, iris and fingerprint login; and right out of the box, a broad range of universal Windows apps like Photos, Maps, Mail, Calendar, Music and Video*.

We are also bringing the Xbox gaming experience to Windows 10, giving games and gamers access to the Xbox Live gaming community, enabling the capture and share of gameplay and giving Xbox One owners the ability to play their Xbox One games from any Windows 10 PC in their home.

* Windows 10 Mobile is designed to deliver the best user experience on smaller, mobile, touch-centric devices like smartphones and small tablets. It boasts the same, new universal Windows apps that are included in Windows 10 Home, as well as the new touch-optimized version of Office. Windows 10 Mobile offers great productivity, security and management capabilities for customers who use their personal devices at work. In addition, Windows 10 Mobile will enable some new devices to take advantage of Continuum for phone, so people can use their phone like a PC when connected to a larger screen.

* Windows 10 Pro is a desktop edition for PCs, tablets and 2-in-1s. Building upon both the familiar and innovative features of Windows 10 Home, it has many extra features to meet the diverse needs of small businesses. Windows 10 Pro helps to effectively and efficiently manage their devices and apps, protect their sensitive business data, support remote and mobile productivity scenarios and take advantage of cloud technologies. Windows 10 Pro devices are a great choice for organizations supporting Choose Your Own Device (CYOD) programs and prosumer customers. Windows 10 Pro also lets customers take advantage of the new Windows Update for Business, which will reduce management costs, provide controls over update deployment, offer quicker access to security updates and provide access to the latest innovation from Microsoft on an ongoing basis.

* Windows 10 Enterprise builds on Windows 10 Pro, adding advanced features designed to meet the demands of medium and large sized organizations. It provides advanced capabilities to help protect against the ever-growing range of modern security threats targeted at devices, identities, applications and sensitive company information. Windows 10 Enterprise also supports the broadest range of options for operating system deployment and comprehensive device and app management. It will be available to our Volume Licensing customers, so they can take advantage of the latest innovation and security updates on an ongoing basis. At the same time, they will be able to choose the pace at which they adopt new technology, including the option to use the new Windows Update for Business. With Windows 10, Enterprise customers will also have access to the Long Term Servicing Branch as a deployment option for their mission critical devices and environments. And as with prior versions of Windows, Active Software Assurance customers in Volume Licensing can upgrade to Windows 10 Enterprise as part of their existing Software Assurance benefits.

* Windows 10 Education builds on Windows 10 Enterprise, and is designed to meet the needs of schools – staff, administrators, teachers and students. This edition will be available through academic Volume Licensing, and there will be paths for schools and students using Windows 10 Home and Windows 10 Pro devices to upgrade to Windows 10 Education.

* Windows 10 Mobile Enterprise is designed to deliver the best customer experience to business customers on smartphones and small tablets. It will be available to our Volume Licensing customers. It offers the great productivity, security and mobile device management capabilities that Windows 10 Mobile provides, and adds flexible ways for businesses to manage updates. In addition, Windows 10 Mobile Enterprise will incorporate the latest security and innovation features as soon as they are available.

There will also be versions of Windows 10 Enterprise and Windows 10 Mobile Enterprise for industry devices like ATMs, retail point of sale, handheld terminals and industrial robotics and Windows 10 IoT Core for small footprint, low cost devices like gateways.

Windows 10 Home, Windows 10 Mobile and Windows 10 Pro will all be free upgrades for legitimate Windows 7, Windows 8.1 and Windows Phone 8.1 users, as long as they upgrade within one year of the OS' launch.

IMPORTANT NOTES: For VAIO VGX-XL* owners who use Windows Media Center:

* Please be aware that Windows 10 does not support Windows Media Center, nor can it be added to Windows 10. If you wish to continue to use Windows Media Center you need to use Windows 8.1 or earlier for your OS.

* If on the other hand you intend to upgrade to Windows 10, but wish to continue to use your VAIO VGX-XL* system as a Home Theater PC (HTPC) and media center console, I strongly recommend that you join our "EMBY Community, and participate in the ongoing development of this project.

"EMBY" (formerly "Media Browser"; or "MB") is a very nicely developed, advanced and continually improved cross-platform home media set of applications. Here's the link/URL:

Energize Your Media on Any Device. EMBY:
http://emby.media/

* Also be aware that there is no software fix for the loss of front panel optical drive eject button in Windows 10, 32-bit or 64-bit. The reinstallation of the suite of Sony VAIO applications and drivers which previously restored functionality of the eject button in earlier 32-bit versions of Windows, will not restore that functionality in Windows 10.

Cheers!
Robert.

Last edited by REnninga; 05-14-2015 at 11:30 PM. Reason: additional text and hyperlink
Old 05-16-2015, 01:11 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is there's anyone still intrested in the PSU upgrade project who's looking out for a faulty PSU, see this post...

http://vgx-xl.proboards.com/post/1729/thread/331

VGX-XL100 Restore problem

By Oliver Stones of VGX-XLpedia

(PC) XL301 (OS) Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit (Hard Drives) Samsung SSD 830 125GB (Processors) X3230 QuadCore (Memory) 4GB DDR2 (Graphics) ATI Radeon HD 6670
Old 05-19-2015, 07:54 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by REnninga View Post
Also be aware that there is no software fix for the loss of front panel optical drive eject button in Windows 10, 32-bit or 64-bit. The reinstallation of the suite of Sony VAIO applications and drivers which previously restored functionality of the eject button in earlier 32-bit versions of Windows, will not restore that functionality in Windows 10.
Have you had the eject button working under 32-bit Windows 8? Is there a black magic incantation? I've tried installing the relevant files under both Windows 8 and 8.1, but to no avail... I even tried upgrading from a working 32-bit Windows 7, but it didn't work after the upgrade.

Tags
Sony , Blu Ray Players , Xbox 360 250gb Console With Kinect