Sony VGX-XL3 - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 3868 Old 02-10-2008, 03:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can anyone tell me if the sony site has a procedure for opening up the x3 and looking inside?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 3868 Old 02-10-2008, 05:07 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by techieg View Post

Can you post the link to the driver here I don't think I have come across it before.

168.75 was a typo. It's really 163.75.
post #543 of 3868 Old 02-10-2008, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisL01 View Post

Just change the Recorded TV view to Title instead of Recorded Date. It will lump everything into different "groups" based on the title of the show.

Chris

Thanx, I can't believe that was just under my nose. Its exactly what I was looking for too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Bull View Post

Can anyone tell me if the sony site has a procedure for opening up the x3 and looking inside?

page 82+ of the european manual is probably what you are looking for; ftp://ftp.vaio-link.com/pub/Manuals/...3/XL3_H_EN.pdf

Open Software Foundation.
http://www.opensoftwarefoundry.org
The Foundation for Information & Communications Technology.Â
Open Systems, Inc.
http://www.opensysinc.net
post #544 of 3868 Old 02-10-2008, 06:52 AM

Hi all
I have been setting up my XL302 all day and have noticed a few anoying problems.
First: I cannot take a anolog audio signal to my Arcam stereo amp at the same time as I use coaxial digital for the receiver?
Any ideas much appreciated
post #545 of 3868 Old 02-10-2008, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SydneyGunn View Post

Hi all
I have been setting up my XL302 all day and have noticed a few anoying problems.
First: I cannot take a anolog audio signal to my Arcam stereo amp at the same time as I use coaxial digital for the receiver?

From reading the XL3 manual, you can only use one A/V source at a time and not more than one at any one time, which makes sense because you don't expect the system to split the A/V processor in two at a time. The same goes for your A/V system, you can only listen to AM/FM, TV, or any one A/V source at a time. So I won't call it an "annoying problem" because its not a problem at all but by design.

You just need to select which one is your preferred and only set that one up. I only use HDMI for my XL3 audio and video.

Open Systems, Inc.
post #546 of 3868 Old 02-11-2008, 08:07 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Hi all

Unfortunately, there's only one way around this and that's to take advantage of the fact that the XL3 can output both HDMI and SPDIF simultaneously. There are cables that split an audio L/R signal off of an HDMI (my XBox 360 Elite came with one, although I don't know if anyone sells them separately) specifically so you can plug those RCA connectors into an HDMI monitor that doesn't process the HDMI audio.

That may not solve your exact issue, because the coax still presents a problem. Can your receiver take an SPDIF (optical, also called a TOSLINK) input? If so, you can run SPDIF to one and the break-out RCA from the HDMI to the other (note that I do not know if when you do this, whether or not you wind up losing the pass-through audio to the monitor's HDMI input). You can even turn one or the other off within Control Panel/Sound. If not, I think you may be out of luck without purchasing a box that takes an SPDIF and generates a coaxial output. It may be time to invest in that new optical-input surround-sound receiver.
post #547 of 3868 Old 02-11-2008, 11:53 AM

Ok, so I just received the OCUR tuner and installed it into the system. See attachments for the "physical fitness" of the additional tuner into the XL3. I am waiting for the cable guy to arrive with the additional cablecard so I can be good to go on turning the system on (driver for new tuner should auto-install), flashing the new tuner with the latest firmware as the other tuner, and setting up digital cable with the cablecard. I was still able to install the metal panel/sheet above the tuner (image DSC03384.jpg). More setup pics to follow.

Also, since the XL3's power supply has an extra unused female molex connector you don't need to make a 4-pin Y-cable floppy connector to split power to both tuners. You will instead need something like this; http://cgi.ebay.com/4-Pin-Molex-Adap...QQcmdZViewItem or http://www.google.com/products?hl=en...num=1&ct=title . Make sure you cut off the yellow wire, the tuners do not need that connection. They only need the two black wires and single red wire for a total of three wires.
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL

Open Systems, Inc.
post #548 of 3868 Old 02-11-2008, 05:01 PM

Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you "Super Duper XL3 Plus Extreme Pro"; 1.75TB (3 HDDs - C:250GB, D: 750GB (Multimedia Libraries), E: 750GB (Recorded TV & Multimedia Libraries Backup)), 3GB RAM, Dual OCUR Cablecards, Full HD 1080p. Attached are the images;

DSC03390.jpg - Behind the XL3 with a cablecard in each tuner with both green lights on each tuner on steady.

Dual_OCUR3.jpg - Each tuner pairing info shows up after several seconds.
Dual_OCUR4.jpg - It actually has two shows recording simultaneously, which I played back flawlessly.

So the procedure was;

1. Pop in the additional tuner. The driver for the additional OCUR tuner auto-installs and the tuner shows up along with other network devices.
2. Update the firmware for the new tuner. During this process, the ATI firmware updater discovers both OCUR tuners. You have to highlight which one you want to update before you click "Start" to update the firmware (highlighting either of the cards will automatically display the firmware version and other info for each tuner, this at least helps one realize which tuner to update its firmware).
3. If you already have an M-Card Cablecard in the original tuner, it has to be removed because only one M-Card is allowed per system/household (cable providers cannot provision more than one M-Card per system)*. Replace with one activated S-Card per cablecard slot.
4. With the use of a splitter, connect a Cable source to each tuner.
5. Rerun TV Signal setup and it will find two digital cable sources (image Dual_OCUR1.jpg).
6. Insert an S-Card cablecard into each tuner when required (image Dual_OCUR2.jpg) and follow the instructions to finish the setup.

Setup was really easy, although I noticed that downloading the Guide took a bit longer. It perhaps downloaded a guide for each tuner.

*M-Card cablecards are "Multi-Stream", which means that one M-Card in one (of two tuners' cablecard slot) can handle two tuners without each tuner needing a cablecard. This works in systems like Tivo, etc (we tried this route but was unsuccessful hence image Dual_OCUR2.jpg). But in systems like PCs it cannot work because each tuner individually communicates with the software....Enjoy.

As stable as my system is, I can finally return the STB to the provider and stop paying almost $20/month for an HD-DVR.

Now, what else/next am I gonna do?
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL

Open Systems, Inc.
post #549 of 3868 Old 02-11-2008, 05:20 PM

Quote:

Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you "Super Duper XL3 Plus Extreme Pro". Now, what else/next am I gonna do?

WOW! Very impressive! He Did It. Excellent job! Now all WE need is Instructions on how to do it.

I can't really tell to much from the pictures except from the back of the cpu.
What was the Part numbers for the tuner and the wiring harness. And what was that power cable you spliced together. A floppy power cable?
post #550 of 3868 Old 02-11-2008, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenCollins View Post

WOW! Very impressive! He Did It. Excellent job! Now all WE need is Instructions on how to do it.

I can't really tell to much from the pictures except from the back of the cpu.
What was the Part numbers for the tuner and the wiring harness. And what was that power cable you spliced together. A floppy power cable?

Thank you for all the applause. From the pictures you can tell that the system is setting up dual OCUR tuners.

Ingredients;

1. "US TUNER USB HARNESS" (part number 196523011; http://servicesales.sel.sony.com/eco.../web/index.jsp) - To connect OCUR tuner to motherboard
2. OCUR tuner (part number: 178971811) - OCUR Tuner from Sony (http://servicesales.sel.sony.com/eco.../web/index.jsp).
3. you don't need to make a 4-pin Y-cable floppy connector to split power to both tuners. You will instead need something like this; http://cgi.ebay.com/4-Pin-Molex-Adap...QQcmdZViewItem or http://www.google.com/products?hl=en...num=1&ct=title . Make sure you cut off the yellow wire, the tuners do not need that connection. They only need the two black wires and single red wire for a total of three wires.

FYI: OCUR tuners do not come with any activation numbers as some people here previously thought. I have already setup both OCUR tuners with cablecards installed and I have recorded with both tuners simultaneously and played back both recordings without any issue without any usch thing. Besides, there is nothing on the packaging that resembles any activation key except the model and inventory numbers.

Open Systems, Inc.
post #551 of 3868 Old 02-11-2008, 06:55 PM

Quote:

Home made "4-pin" female floppy power splitter (just look for two old computers and cut off the floppy power connectors from the power supplies, make sure it is long enough). Also remove one 4-pin male floppy connector from the floppy itself (you will need a soldering iron to unsolder it from the floppy board (this part is what will connect into the single tuner power supply). You can find cheap soldering irons at the hardware store, as long as they get as hot as possible to do the job).

DANG!!! When I think of all the power supplies I dumped in the trash it almost makes me cry! I should have known there was something reusable on those things!!
post #552 of 3868 Old 02-11-2008, 07:02 PM

Quote:

DANG!!! When I think of all the power supplies I dumped in the trash it almost makes me cry! I should have known there was something reusable on those things!!

If you can think of anywhere you can find computer trash, you should easily find them there. People are always giving away old PCs; checkout your area in craigslist.org.

My wife almost made me trash my old PCs (calling them "trash", little did she know that beauty is in the eyes of the beholder) as well but I quietly put them in storage outside the house for spares and it keeps paying off.

Open Systems, Inc.
post #553 of 3868 Old 02-11-2008, 07:29 PM
Advanced Member

>OCUR tuners do not come with any activation numbers as some people here previously thought.

So: holding collective breath to see if you can receive off both tuners once the CableCard is installed. Actually, you might be able to tell that right now: if the DCT isn't validated, the system will prompt you for the Product Activation Code >BEFORE< you get to the step where it asks for the CableCard ID number. You could in theory go into Media Center setup, TV, CableCard right now and see if you can make it all the way through to the step where you pop in the card and enter the I.D.; after all, Media Center wouldn't know that you DON'T have a CableCard in your hand ready to install. (Might even be a good idea to try that before the cable guy comes out since you now know who at M/S to contact if you do need a Product Activation Code.)

Growling update: unplugging the HDMI didn't affect the growling sound*. Didn't get to try changing screen settings because the growling hasn't re-occured. Good news, right? Well, not exactly...instead, sound coming from WinDVD 3.0 (NOT Vaio Sony BRD WinDVD) is just screaming static. I installed 3.0 way back when because the Vaio version doesn't allow you to play anything other than the optical drive, and up until now it worked just fune. Growling fixes itself, WinDVD audio stops...must be some kind of physics "conservation of XL3 problems" law. Oddly enough, Media Center, WinDVD BRD, and Windows Media Player all still play audio just fine. Eventually I'll restore a backup but it's not sufficiently important to bother with right now, as you can play MPEGs and rips with Media Player, it's just not as clear (WinDVD does a very good job of upscaling).

*However, it did result in the following semi-expected message the next time I tried to play both Recorded TV and a Blu-Ray: "Your hardware configuration does not support playback of Restricted Content." Had to reboot to fix it. Just in case this might be a clue for people still having those pesky HDMI recovery problems...although I don't see how...
post #554 of 3868 Old 02-11-2008, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjeffb View Post

>OCUR tuners do not come with any activation numbers as some people here previously thought.

So: holding collective breath to see if you can receive off both tuners once the CableCard is installed. Actually, you might be able to tell that right now: if the DCT isn't validated, the system will prompt you for the Product Activation Code >BEFORE< you get to the step where it asks for the CableCard ID number. You could in theory go into Media Center setup, TV, CableCard right now and see if you can make it all the way through to the step where you pop in the card and enter the I.D.; after all, Media Center wouldn't know that you DON'T have a CableCard in your hand ready to install. (Might even be a good idea to try that before the cable guy comes out since you now know who at M/S to contact if you do need a Product Activation Code.)

rjeffb, If you read my posts and diagrams, I have already gone through all the setup process and no Activation Code was requested for anything. I personally thought it would ask for the Digital Cable SUpport Product Key because it did ask for it when I tried re-running TV setup when I had just the original single OCUR tuner but it did not ask, and if it did a full system restore would resolve that if the product key fails to activate against Microsoft servers over the internet. I have also recorded with both tuners simultaneously and played back both recordings without any issue. The only thing there is to "activate" are the two cablecards and those were done flawlessly.

By the way, the attached image shows what it looks like when flashing the firmware for the new OCUR tuner (it discovers and displays all installed OCUR uners, in this case, two tuners, which both now have the same latest firmware). The second image also shows that I am currently recording some Soccer while the currently playing channel is displayed below. And while the recording is going on I am also changing channels. All this confirm both tunes at work.
LL
LL

Open Systems, Inc.
post #555 of 3868 Old 02-12-2008, 05:28 AM
Advanced Member

>I have already gone through all the setup process and no Activation Code was requested for anything
>The second image also shows that I am currently recording some Soccer while the currently playing channel is displayed below.

Amazing! You're right, I missed that you already had the system up and running, I thought you were waiting for the second CC to be activated. BTW, the second image doesn't prove both tuners are working, because the inset picture could have been a previously recorded show, but I get the idea (an even more impressive screenshot would be recording two shows simultaneously, with both of them showing up in Recorded TV with the red dot indicating that they are currently recording).

Can you in fact record two shows at once, or are you limited to recording a show on one tuner and watching Live TV on the other? If you can, does the prerecorded show stutter or fail when skipping forward or backwards? I would also ask if you drop any frames on the recording while doing this, but my previous experiments demonstrated that Vista gives priority to the show (or in your case, shows) being recorded so the playback of the recorded show appears to be the worst-case situation.

Edit: I just thought of a much better worst-case situation (one that I could not try with just a single tuner), and that's skipping backwards and forwards in Live TV while another show is being recorded in the background. That would really challenge your bandwidth - if you can do that without a hiccup, then your system should be able to handle anything.

Your ability to get through all of this without a DCT code is, from a purely scientific viewpoint, frustrating, because we still haven't nailed down exactly when and why a new code is needed. It also raises the specter of the 30-day activation bug, so proof of ultimate success will be when you can still record one month from now, but your ability to enter a CableCard ID without tripping across a demand for a DCT code is extremely promising. The fact that you were able to get a second tuner working without a DCT product code, and that I was able to bypass it by downgrading back to Home (thanks to the 1080p patch) doesn't help the next person visiting this thread looking for a solution to their "Digital Cable Product Code you have entered is invalid" message. Sony clearly knows the circumstances that lead to requiring a new DCT code (evidenced by the KB article they posted directing users to obtain a replacement code from Microsoft). I no longer need a replacement code, and it looks like you don't either, but the mystery remains nonetheless.
post #556 of 3868 Old 02-12-2008, 07:12 AM

techieg

You kept me up all night thinking about your recent achievement in adding a second tuner card. Just knowing that it can be done is exciting! Heh..you should receive a vaio noble prize for that. However, I kinda wish that you took a few pictures of the cablecard and the wiring harness before you installed them. That might have made the whole process easier for some to understand. Too bad there isn't some technical drawing of the card or harness that we could see.
post #557 of 3868 Old 02-12-2008, 07:41 AM

Quote:

>The second image also shows that I am currently recording some Soccer while the currently playing channel is displayed below.

Amazing! Actually, the second image doesn't prove both tuners are working, because the inset picture could have been a previously recorded show, but I get the idea (an even more definitive screenshot would be recording two shows simultaneously, with both of them showing up in Recorded TV with the red dot indicating that they are currently recording).

Now comes the acid test: I presume you can record two shows while simulatenously watching a previous recording. When you do so, does that show stutter or fail when skipping forward or backwards? I should also ask if you drop any frames on the recording while doing this, but my previous experiments demonstrated that Vista gives priority to the show (or in your cases, shows) being recorded so the playback of the recorded show appears to be the worst-case situation.

Your ability to get through all of this without a DCT code is, in a way, frustrating, because we still haven't nailed down exactly when and why a new code is needed. The fact that you were able to get a second tuner working without one, and that I was able to bypass it by downgrading back to Home (thanks to the 1080p patch) doesn't help the next person to visit this thread looking for an answer to their "The Digital Product Code you have entered is invalid" message. What exactly does that code do, and why did Sony go out of its way to post a KB article on calling Microsoft when you need one? The mystery remains.

I have attached more images of two simultaneous recordings, Dual_OCUR11.jpg shows ER and Gear recording at the same time, Dual_OCUR10.jpg shows them both in Recorded TV as currently recording, and Dual_OCUR12.jpg also shows Sportscenter and Sunrise Earth simultaneously recording while I "flawlessly" watch the pre-recorded soccer from yesterday, no such stutter or breaks of any kind (remember, all my HDDs are internal via the SATAII cables with up to 3GB/s data rate). I also discovered the way to switch between tuners; just go through the Guide, you can select to watch either tuner regardless if it is currently recording.

You don't need "another DCT code", if you have a basic understanding of how this technology works you will know that all there is to is the SMBIOS and the security components downloaded by the tuners during setup. The system does not really have to ask for an activation code, but if it does it is supposed to accept the Digital Cable Support product key in the back of the system and use that to activate digital cable support for the OS itself by going online to Microsoft license servers for validation. The problem is that when it tries to validate the OCUR product key with Microsoft servers over the internet it comes back with an error that it is invalid when it is not supposed to. It is supposed to validate similar to validating the Vista or any OS product key. So since this is happening to everyone who is trying to validate their OCUR product key its either Microsoft servers have a problem validating them or all Vista OSes with digital cable support have a glitch in them causing this error. To bypass this problem in the meantime while MS finds a solution, a full system recovery and other types of recovery works around it.
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL

Open Systems, Inc.
post #558 of 3868 Old 02-12-2008, 07:43 AM

rjeffb:
Getting back to the question... "did you ever break your raid? Well, I am happy to report that I took the plunge and finally did it. Following your instruction I did the Control-I at post. But for some reason it took me to an option screen that gave me two choices: Run Windows Vista or perform memory diagnostics. HUH? Turns out that I had to go to the bios and select Raid display Show or Hide. It was set to hide. So I set it to Show. Only then was I able to get into the raid setup at post. I successfully turned it off
and rebooted and got the "No Operating System Found" prompt. Not thinking, I used the Vaio Recovery disks to restore the system. Big Mistake! It pretty much gave a me Deja Vu experience since I had to backtrack all of the updates I did over the last three months. I had all sorts of problems with the HDMI particularly sound issues. Not to mention that computer management would not let me format my second drive as "D". my only option was "E". After battling with this for day or two I ended up using the last norton image that I made before I broke that raid. Magically, the second drive showed up as "D". And without much fuss the HDMI seems to be more stable. The system also seems to be running a little smoother as well. It's yet to be seen if this made any long term fixes. Only time will tell.
post #559 of 3868 Old 02-12-2008, 07:49 AM

Quote:

techieg

You kept me up all night thinking about your recent achievement in adding a second tuner card. Just knowing that it can be done is exciting! Heh..you should receive a vaio noble prize for that. However, I kinda wish that you took a few pictures of the cablecard and the wiring harness before you installed them. That might have made the whole process easier for some to understand. Too bad there isn't some technical drawing of the card or harness that we could see.

DenCollins, I posted images of the power y-connector I made on post #467 (page 16). Its something I can always take out and properly re-photograph anyway.

And yes, you are definitely moving in the right direction by breaking your RAID. That was one of the first few things I did when I got my XL3, RAID0 completely makes no sense.

Open Systems, Inc.
post #560 of 3868 Old 02-12-2008, 08:08 AM

Quote:

DenCollins, I posted images of the power y-connector I made on post #467 (page 16). Its something I can always take out and properly re-photograph anyway.

And yes, you are definitely moving in the right direction by breaking your RAID. That was one of the first few things I did when I got my XL3, RAID0 completely makes no sense.

I saw that picture of the Y-Connection that you made. As a mater of fact I scrounged all of the parts together needed to make this part this morning at work. What I referring to was the wiring harness that you had to order from sony.
post #561 of 3868 Old 02-12-2008, 08:31 AM

Quote:

I saw that picture of the Y-Connection that you made. As a mater of fact I scrounged all of the parts together needed to make this part this morning at work. What I referring to was the wiring harness that you had to order from sony.

I figured it was unnecessary to take a picture of the USB Harness since it needs to be ordered anyway and not made plus one is already installed in the system which we have all seen while tinkering inside the XL3.

Open Systems, Inc.
post #562 of 3868 Old 02-12-2008, 08:39 AM

Quote:

I figured it was unnecessary to take a picture of the USB Harness since it needs to be ordered anyway and not made plus one is already installed in the system which we have all seen while tinkering inside the XL3.

You're absolutely right...I was just sayin'.
post #563 of 3868 Old 02-12-2008, 10:07 AM

Hi Guys.
Thanks for the replys regarding the audio issue I have.
Please note that I have a sony AV receiver that takes HDMI. That is not the problem. I also have a high quality stereo amp for my 2 channel music.
I have noticed with the output set to coaxial there is a spare optical output also.
So it is time to sell my old stereo amp and upgrade to one with a optical input.

Next problem I am having is with the 5.1 sourround sound. I get a codec error showing when I try to run the speaker setup test and I lose audio to the TV?

I have downloaded all the updates from sony and have tried reinstalling the sonic stage 4.3 twice now.

Any ideas much appreciated.

PS tech what a fantastic job you have done on you XL3 well done.
post #564 of 3868 Old 02-12-2008, 10:34 AM
Advanced Member

D.C., your Blu-Ray was probably assigned D: on bootup; as I said in my original post about setting up a new RAID, Vista goes ahead and re-assigns the Blu-Ray to the first drive letter available. So unless you first changed the BRD to a different drive, D: would be unavailable in the drop-down list for you to assign your second drive or data RAID to. When Vista later sees the second drive or RAID, it may or may not reassign things back to the correct order depending on whether or not Vista sees the drive/RAID as a "found new hardware" item or not. I always assign my optical drive to X: and external drives to Z:, going all the way back to Windows 95 (to accomodate/keep from screwing up executable files running live off CD, e.g. early versions of Visio). EDIT: I first said that this applied to the "original" version of Visio. Not so - the 1.0 version of Visio came on a 3.5" floppy and was packaged with a jigsaw puzzle game!

Tech, the screenshots of Guide with two shows recording simultaneously should be hanging in the Louve. Simply amazing.

For your theory about DCT codes to be completely correct, the servers validating the product code would have had to be down or otherwise uncommunicative all three times I tried authorizing under Ultimate and up and running both times I had to enter the info under Home. Not impossible but a pretty remarkable coincidence. It also ignores Sony's Knowledge Base article - every XL3 comes with a DCT Product Code, so under what possible circumstances would an XL3 user EVER need to obtain a code per the Sony article? It just seems that there is more to this puzzle than just coincidence. Nonetheless, the fact that you got it all working shows every would-be upgrader that it is possible with a bit of perserverence.
post #565 of 3868 Old 02-12-2008, 10:49 AM

Quote:

PS tech what a fantastic job you have done on you XL3 well done.

Thanx for the acknowledgment.

Normally OSes including the Vista in the XL3 will first automatically assign drive letters to all HDD partitions available before it assigns the next letter on the list to the DVD drive. In essence, what you need to do is prepare all the HDDs (format and partition all HDDs) you want to put in the system as desired then proceed to installing (or running system recovery to put) your OS unto the primary HDD in the system, all else will fall in place.

I have three internal HDDs; HDD1 = C: (SATA Port 0), HDD2 = D: (SATA Port 1), HDD3 = E: (SATA Port 3), DVD Drive = F: (SATA Port 2).

Open Systems, Inc.
post #566 of 3868 Old 02-12-2008, 11:11 AM
Advanced Member

Sydney - which "speaker setup test" are you talking about? (Within Control Panel, within Media center, or elsewhere?) Within Control Panel | Sound, make sure you have disabled (unchecked) all the higher sample rates and DTS.
post #567 of 3868 Old 02-12-2008, 12:45 PM

I had this same speaker test error in the past. I just ignore it since I know I have the audio setup properly, then later as I kept the system updated whenever I re-run taudio setup it correctly plays the audio files without the codec error. It does not bother any actual audio coming out of your system. Whenever it happens again accept and click Next but make sure you have already selected your desired audio output source because if you dwell on it you may continue to chase your tail in search of the codec (just make sure Windows Media Player is up to date so that it can download the required codec if it needs to).

Open Systems, Inc.
post #568 of 3868 Old 02-12-2008, 04:01 PM

Quote:

I first said that this applied to the "original" version of Visio. Not so - the 1.0 version of Visio came on a 3.5" floppy and was packaged with a jigsaw puzzle game!

Yeah, I overlooked that whole drive lettering thing. But Hey...where is my Visio 3.5 floppy? I didn't even find a coupon for it in my Vaio box! I got gypped!
post #569 of 3868 Old 02-13-2008, 05:22 AM

Quote:

Yeah, I overlooked that whole drive lettering thing. But Hey...where is my Visio 3.5 floppy? I didn't even find a coupon for it in my Vaio box! I got gypped!

For you to arrive at the HDD and lettering setup you really want, you may have to run system recovery on your system twice. On the first system recovery the system would have issued more letters than you need simply because you have not prepared the HDDs the way you want them, so the first system recovery will be to recover your system and go into Disk Management via Computer Management in Vista to format and partition the HDDs the way you want them to be. SO on the second system recovery, since you would have all HDDs setup the way you want them by now the assigned letters would be appropriate.

Although you can edit the drive letters by hand without doing a second recovery, it is not advisable especially because some things will only reference the original drive letter assigned to the DVD Drive and if it gets changed manually they won't find it.

Open Systems, Inc.
post #570 of 3868 Old 02-13-2008, 06:40 AM
Advanced Member

>Although you can edit the drive letters by hand without doing a second recovery, it is not advisable especially because some things will only reference the original drive letter assigned to the DVD Drive and if it gets changed manually they won't find it.

Well Tech, I think that's a bit overboard as a first-go. It is rare nowadays that apps run off the CD and provided that D.C. hasn't installed any new programs that look for an install disc in a particular location before permitting an application to run (like some games) my experience shows he'll be okay. WinDVD allows the default source drive to be changed, and Media center and Media Player aren't tied to a particular drive letter but instead just look for whatever optical drive(s) are connected. Other things that can get screwed up but which are fixable are autoplay settings (Control Panel), MRU lists (who actually uses them anyway), and installation paths when uninstalling or changing options in Windows or a Microsoft or Borland SDK-compliant application (but you can always hit "browse" when that pesky "Cannot find WINWORD.CAB" message pops up). So my advice would be to see if any problems actually crop up first, because a full re-install can always be done later.
Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
Sony , Blu Ray Players , Xbox 360 250gb Console With Kinect
Gear in this thread - 250gb by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page