Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenCollins View Post

Another time waster about 1080p.....

http://www.carltonbale.com/2006/11/1080p-does-matter/

Note: He states "Assuming you have 20/20 vision." What does he think? Everyone has perfect vision. Remind me to check back with this guy in about 10 years.

You know, I did a very similar calculation recently for a completely different reason: debunking the popular statement that the ultrahigh theoretical resolution capability in Flight Simulator X is overkill and therefore not needed (and thereby justifying the "downsampling" that companies like Megascenery do by taking 1 foot per pixel and changing it to 1.2 meters per pixel). I figured if the view covers 100 degrees and you're viewing on a 1920x1080 screen, then at 1 foot per pixel the greatest possible detail is at an altitude of 805 feet - anything lower fails to provide any more detail but just magnifies noise. That actually still isn't really high enough resolution, as low flight is defined as 500 feet altitude, but it's awfully close; to get maximum resolution while 500 feet above the ground would require a bitmap resolution of 7.5 inches per pixel (which FSX is still theoretically capable of if you could find large-area aerial photographs at that resolution). At 1.2 meters per pixel, the magic altitude is 966 meters or an even 3,000 feet, which is where I bet they actually came up with 1.2 meters (3,000 feet is the lowest altitude most aircraft fly when not in an airport traffic pattern, as that is when the fly-this-direction when-at-this-altitude FAA rule kicks in). The second argument is 1 foot per pixel creates files that are too large but I for one have more than enough disk space for it, a couple of hundred dollars nowawadays and you've got 1.5 or even 2 terabytes RAID (interestingly, high resolution actually increases system performance because these are bulk-dumped bitmaps and not fancy vectors requiring lots of processor and video calculations). Anyway, interesting because the author used the same trig calculations to come up with his results.

I don't doubt for a second that 1080P is amazing and great and wonderful. My observation isn't about 1080P, it's about Blu-Ray disks that claim to be 1080P but are only marginally better than DVD even though I know from "Planet Earth" and various demo clips that 1080P video is capable of astonishing things. My complaint isn't so much about the Blu-Ray system as about content providers putting out disks that claim 1080P that obviously weren't recorded, edited, and mastered in that resolution throughout the entire process.

And that is most certainly a scam.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 3867 Old 05-19-2008, 03:24 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:

Techieg: So what's your take on this whole ""ReadyBoost" thing? See posts 658 through 664. Seriously, I would like to hear your opinion on this.

Sorry for the delay in response. ReadyBoost is a Windows memory management system newly introduced in Vista, it lets you use "non-volatile" external USB flash drives and SD cards in place of adding additional internal memory (this means no external HDD or anything of the spinning "disk" nature but only those of "solid state disk" nature). It also works in conjunction with Superfetch which mimics Linux memory management, where the most used applications are pre-loaded in memory for fast access when you need them. In my experience, this sometimes causes problems for Linux machines because it sometimes does not know when to stop pre-loading applications into RAM thereby hogging 100% of available RAM which tends to crash the system and cause a reboot.

Read more on both here; http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...eadyboost.mspx

Open Software Foundation.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Foundation for Information & Communications Technology.Â
Open Systems, Inc.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #723 of 3867 Old 05-19-2008, 05:51 PM
Advanced Member

>external USB flash drives and SD cards

To be precise, the article says "such as" USB flash drives and SD cards, which seems to allow for other recognized media as well. I sure hope so, because I just ordered that 4GB high-speed memory stick duo pro - but I came up ReadyBoost-less with an even higher-speed Compact Flash, so breath is bated pending the test.

Bad news on the WinDVD front, the WinDVD that comes bundled with VideoStudio version latest.and.greatest not only doesn't play BRDs, it's just the plain old OEM freebie version, complete with requests for you to upgrade to the full version. Reviews of PowerDVD seem a mixed bag, with people either loving it for its capabilities or hating it for the constant updating and tweaking necessary to get it to perform reliably.

Sort of like an XL3, in fact.
post #724 of 3867 Old 05-20-2008, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjeffb View Post

>external USB flash drives and SD cards

To be precise, the article says "such as" USB flash drives and SD cards, which seems to allow for other recognized media as well. I sure hope so, because I just ordered that 4GB high-speed memory stick duo pro - but I came up ReadyBoost-less with an even higher-speed Compact Flash, so breath is bated pending the test.

The phrase "such as USB flash drives and SD cards" merely gives you a couple of examples of what non-volatile media is. The key word to note is "non-volatile" no matter what form they come in, be it flash, CF, SD, Micro-SD, XD, RAM, SSD, MagicStick, etc. There are other non-volatile drives out there besides USB flash drives and SD cards as I have mentioned above (such as the solid state disk or drive - SSD, which actually comes in the shape/size and capacity of a 2.5" HDD but does not use disks instead uses circuits similar to RAM) and not just any other recognized media just because it is "recognized". Non-volatile media uses the same technology as RAM being non-volatile itself, the only difference is that manufacturers of such non-volatile media other than RAM (such as flash drives) use software to make data saved onto them stick instead of being temporary and wiped when the computer is turned of or when the media is removed from the computer.

So rjeffb, make sure what you are trying to use is non-volatile and not such media similar to external HDD, or any disk-based media, etc which are non-volatile and very much slower since they have to spin up and down to do their job.

The new thing now is the use of SSD (http://www.samsung.com/global/busine.../overview.html) in replacement for computer HDD - the very slim new Apple Macbook Air (http://www.apple.com/macbookair/) uses it and the tiny (not bigger than a paperback book) eee PC (http://usa.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=24) uses it as well.

Open Systems, Inc.

post #725 of 3867 Old 05-20-2008, 10:14 AM
Advanced Member

The memory I have tried thus far is SD - worked fine but only 256MB - and several flavors of Compact Flash, an ancient 2GB card and a brand spanking new 4GB Class 6 card with a claimed throughput of 30MB/Sec. Both CF cards popped up the request to use for ReadyBoost but both failed the test that Vista performed, reporting that the cards were not fast enough. Clearly that is not the case with the Class 6 CF card, so I suspect that either Vista cannot ReadyBoost a CF card for some reason, or the CF interface in the XL3 isn't fast enough. The overall card reader circuit is running USB 2.0, because both D.C. and I have gotten SD cards to work so it cannot be a problem with the overall card reading subsystem. (I don't want to use SD, even though it is known to work, because I have various cameras that use SD and I want that slot on my XL3 to be available.)

I have on-order a memory stick duo pro with claimed throughput of 20MB/sec. The XL3 spec sheet says it supports both duo and pro formats so I am hopeful that this will work.

Off-topic, I was actually an early adopted of SSDs, long ago I had a little machine in my basement acting as a silent file server with a couple of firewire drives plugged into it and running Windows 2000...on a 640MB SSD! That was a whole saga unto itself, since Win2K occupies about a gig minimum, so I had to install it to a regular HDD, cull out sections (and reinstall when I wound up deleting files and folders that were critical to operation), then image the whole thing to SSD. Long since retired since the advent of Netgear SC101s and other firmware-driven home file servers.
post #726 of 3867 Old 05-20-2008, 10:28 AM

In my opinion, it is best to add internal RAM to avoid the ReadyBoost issue altogether and so that all your USB ports are available for anything else instead of occupying them with drives just to increase memory and unable to just yank it out when you do need to use the port it occupies. Adding internal RAM was what I did anyway. So now I am able to use both USB ports behind my XL3 for my PocketPC and the wireless earphone/mouthpiece, and the USB ports in front are always available for anything else which I always use quite often for my wife's iPhone, camera, etc.

Open Systems, Inc.

post #727 of 3867 Old 05-20-2008, 11:49 AM
Advanced Member

>it is best to add internal RAM to avoid the ReadyBoost issue altogether

Ah, but when you've maxed out your RAM (like I just did*), there's no where else to build but "up."

I don't think anyone here is talking about using an actual USB port for ReadyBoost, so the consumption of ports isn't actually an issue, but the card reader is also running off the USB bus so I suppose there is the potential for some degree of bus performance hit when trying to use something plugged into a USB port. My assumption is that overall more memory is a good thing. DenCollins reports snappier performance with only 256MB of ReadyBoost; I haven't played with it enough to comment. I am REALLY adverse to tying up my only SD slot so if the memory stick still doesn't work, I suppose I will forgo ReadyBoost and just be content with my 3Gig of RAM. But if the memory stick works, then that's a bargain way to add a LOT more memory, even if its impact isn't as dramatic as RAM.

*Along those lines: we've all read the reason why the XL3 (and any other 32-bit microprocessor) cannot access an entire 4GB of RAM...but I note that they also sell 512MB modules. Is it possible - and worth it - to load the XL3 with >3.5< GB? (I still have an empty memory slot available...)
post #728 of 3867 Old 05-21-2008, 06:56 AM

Liked: 15
> Is it possible - and worth it - to load the XL3 with >3.5< GB?

Jeff, I have a colleague that runs Vista 32bit on a machine with 4GB installed. What the system actually "sees" is approx. 3.6GB. So in principle, the answer to your question ought to be yes. However, I believe it to be very BIOS dependent as to what you actually get - and who knows what quirks the XL3 will throw up in that arena! However, if you are going to go for it, given the low cost of memory, its probably worth going for the full 4GB than faf about with 1/2GB. You may get lucky and get a touch more than 3.5GB AND you would be 64bit ready .

So going even further off topic - anyone tried Vista 64bit on their system. I have 64bit running on my home PC and have had zero trouble with driver and application compatability (I believe SP1 made all the difference).

Cheers Jim
post #729 of 3867 Old 05-21-2008, 07:18 PM
Advanced Member

>anyone tried Vista 64bit on their system.

Hold a minute Jim - surely you don't mean on an XL3? That would be quite impossible, as even 32-bit Ultimate wacks out our digital cable tuner. I suppose on an XL302 it would be an option.

You're right about the 4GB, it's only about another 10 pounds (wow that's some heavy memory!) than 3.5GB. Tech, did you go for 4 or just 3GB?

Good news: the memory stick duo pro 4GB is in, installed, and working (see attachment). I'll let you know how well it improves things (might be difficult, as I have also installed that extra 1GB of RAM and I'm not sure how to distribute credit for any improvements I see between the two upgrades). It came with a little sleeve adapter to make it compatible with older memory stick devices but the duo - which turns out to be both thinner and narrower than a regular memory stick, sort of like SD/MicroSD but not as significant a difference in size - fit into the XL3 perfectly. Now I've got ReadyBoost and my SD slot is still available. Specifically, I bought a Sony MSMT4G 4GB Memory Stick PRO Duo (Mark2). "Mark 2," of course, is Sony's way of saying "high-speed" so they don't have to say something clear and standard like "Class 6." You know, like "Full HD," etc.

$49.99 and free shipping at Amazon. Dig 'em!
LL
post #730 of 3867 Old 05-22-2008, 06:03 AM

> as even 32-bit Ultimate wacks out our digital cable tuner.

Doh! Yes - of course. Sorry, I forgot that little gem (as if a good proportion of this thread isn't related to it).

Ah well, if I ever find the time to try it I'll report the results.
post #731 of 3867 Old 05-22-2008, 06:07 AM

> I'm not sure how to distribute credit for any improvements

Did I miss something here??? How about just open the front flap and pull out the Memory stick for a few days???
post #732 of 3867 Old 05-22-2008, 11:17 AM

Quote:

>You're right about the 4GB, it's only about another 10 pounds (wow that's some heavy memory!) than 3.5GB. Tech, did you go for 4 or just 3GB?

I have 3GB in my XL3, I don;y think anyone will max this out easily, I won't anyway since its not like I use it as my main computer on which I run tons of things concurrently. This is just media and for the most part its one media type at a time - either TV, video, music, gaming, (none of which can run concurrently anyway because only one at a time can use the audio and video delivery components) or pictures.

Open Systems, Inc.

post #733 of 3867 Old 05-22-2008, 05:28 PM
Advanced Member

>I have 3GB in my XL3

Tech, unless you bought two 512MB modules, that means you still have a slot available, and it just seems out of character for you to have left an expansion capability unfilled, no matter how obscure...

100*(3.6-3.5)/3.6 = 0.55% less memory with 3.5GB than Jim suggests I could possibly get with 4GB of which 3.6GB is readible. Hmm, I think I will just go for the 512MB module rather than an extra $15 for a final full GB. If Tech hasn't maxed out with two tuners and God knows what else, I doubt I'll miss that zero point five percent extra RAM.

>How about just open the front flap and pull out the Memory stick for a few days???

Yes Jim, I could indeed pull out the memory stick and experiment, but that ignores two important facts: 1. I just got the memory stick and I want to play with my new toy; and 2. I am L - A - Z - Y!
post #734 of 3867 Old 05-24-2008, 12:39 PM

I have an XL2. Any chance of retrofitting it with a BlueRay drive from an XL3? (not sure where I'd get one even if it was possible...)
post #735 of 3867 Old 05-25-2008, 06:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleCard View Post

I have an XL2. Any chance of retrofitting it with a BlueRay drive from an XL3? (not sure where I'd get one even if it was possible...)

It's possible, but painful. Somewhere way back in this thread Techieg posted the link to Sony XL3 replacement parts (he was specifically posting for the XL3's digital cable tuner, but I suspect the link can be used by a clever person to figure out more generally where their other parts are for order). Sony replacement parts are a grab bag: sometimes they are quite reasonable (the price Techieg paid for a second tuner amazed me) and sometimes incredible (over $400 for a replacement wireless keyboard worth about a tenth as much), so that's hurdle number one. Secondly, it will not come with software so you wil need to pop another hundred for PowerDVD super duper deluxe edition. Next, you are going to need to get that video signal into a monitor, and that means HDCP, and that means either HDMI or copy-protected DVI; I don't recall what the XL2 uses but if it's not HDMI then it's no easy task to tell if a DVI connector supports HDCP (if not then this is essentially insurmountable). You will also need an operating system that supports HDCP and the only x83 O/S with that support are the pricier editions of Windows Vista. I don't know if Vista natively supports BRD burning, so even if everything works and you can watch Blu-Ray movies, you may still be unabale to actually burn anything more than a dual-layer DVD.

A somewhat less painful option would be to get a Lacie Blu-Ray external, but all the same limitations still apply. About $600 and includes the burning software.

Long story short, expect to put about a thousand dollars total into this, and a great deal of time, and it may not work in the end. Sony has come out with a semi-impressive flying saucer replacement for the XL line you may want to check out instead.
post #736 of 3867 Old 05-26-2008, 12:44 AM

Thank you for the helpful response!

Based on the data you've provided, I think I'll live without blueray until more options become available (perhaps a xbox360 add-on someday..)
post #737 of 3867 Old 05-27-2008, 09:44 AM

Liked: 13
Ready boost revisited
While I haven't really seen much of a difference in system performance, (I think I may have been Hallucinating at first) I have seen an improvement in stability. I think in order to see any real improvements I would have to add a 3gig or more SD Card. I am currently using a lowly 256 mg SD Card. I just haven't gotten around to dragging myself to Best Buy to pick one up. L-A-Z-Y is the keyword here.

Besides, since installing the Netflix Plug-in I'm too busy searching for reruns of Gillian's Isle.
post #738 of 3867 Old 05-27-2008, 11:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Ready boost revisited
While I haven't really seen much of a difference in system performance, (I think I may have been Hallucinating at first) I have seen an improvement in stability. I think in order to see any real improvements I would have to add a 3gig or more SD Card. I am currently using a lowly 256 mg SD Card. I just haven't gotten around to dragging myself to Best Buy to pick one up. L-A-Z-Y is the keyword here.

Besides, since installing the Netflix Plug-in I'm too busy searching for reruns of Gillian's Isle.

I have seen a tremendous improvement in stability, but at this point I cannot attribute it specifically to my 4GB of ReadyBoost. It could just as easilly be due to the extra gig of RAM (and I did go ahead and order that least-drop half-gig stick as well), and based on many years of how Windows acts when memory starts running low, I tend to credit the RAM. I don't know of a way to actually see what that 4GB of ReadyBoost is doing for me (e.g. under Task Manager > Performance > Resouces). In some ways, my system actually seems to be a bit slower - returning to the main "Recorded TV" screen, for example, although that could simply be because I have more shows recorded.
post #739 of 3867 Old 05-27-2008, 05:08 PM

New Development: Windows Update and ATI Firmware

Just a "Heads Up" In case you haven't heard. something is amiss with either a recent Windows Update and the new ATI Tuner Firmware. Seems that something is causing a "Restriced Content flag" on certain recordings.

See http://thegreenbutton.com/forums/thread/264595.aspx

I haven't been hit with this problem because I have automatic updates set to "Download updates but let me choose when to install them." And quite frankly, until this problem is resolved I think I'm going to leave it that way for a while.

Edit: This may just be isolated to external Cable Card Tuners.
post #740 of 3867 Old 05-29-2008, 08:44 AM

rjeffb, dencollins,

re:tremendous improvement in stability

Which bits of instability does it seem to help?
post #741 of 3867 Old 05-29-2008, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST200 View Post

rjeffb, dencollins,

re:tremendous improvement in stability

Which bits of instability does it seem to help?

For Me...It seemed to totally eliminate the problem of HDMI Signal loss to the plasma tv. Also, I rarely have to restart the machine even if it has been idle for a few weeks. Sound problems are gone too. I can't totally credit Ready boost for these improvements as Vista SP1 may have solved some of these issues. But since installing the SD Card the Vaio has been running like swiss watch.
post #742 of 3867 Old 05-29-2008, 09:09 AM

Interesting - especially the bit about SP1. I had to back out SP1 as it made my HDMI Signal loss worse than ever! Perhaps I will have to try it again. And perhaps I will have to try either installing more memory or using an SD card or even both!
post #743 of 3867 Old 05-29-2008, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST200 View Post

Interesting - especially the bit about SP1. I had to back out SP1 as it made my HDMI Signal loss worse than ever! Perhaps I will have to try it again. And perhaps I will have to try either installing more memory or using an SD card or even both!

One other thing... I installed an additional gig of ram earlier on. This brought my internal ram up to 3gigs. I could have installed an additional 2 gigs instead of one. But the word on the street is that Vista Home premium doesn't recognize more than 3.6 gigs anyhow. So it may be a combination of the two.
post #744 of 3867 Old 05-29-2008, 10:43 AM

Found a 2GB MicroSD (with adapter) card so have plugged that in and configured 1840MB ReadyBoost. This is without any other sort of mem upgrade. I'll let you know what results I get.
What I have noticed so far is:
- Set SD card for readyboost on one computer and you have to delete its file, or reformat the card, before configuring it on another
- As soon as you configure it the system writes to it like nobody's business (5MB/s) - used Start > Administrative Tools > Reliability and Performance Monitor tp watch it writing (you can see it writing to the readyboost cache file on the card). I think it's writing a significant proportion of the pagefile.sys to the SD card.
- Most actions seem to cause the card to be read

By the way - what format have you used fo your readyboost card (FAT, FAT32, NTFS)? - mine is currently FAT.
post #745 of 3867 Old 05-29-2008, 11:40 AM

>>By the way - what format have you used fo your readyboost card (FAT, FAT32, NTFS)? - mine is currently FAT.<<

FAT32 I believe.

And yes..it seems like it writes like nobody's business. If you have in on of the slots in the front where all the card readers are...Watch it while you are navigating through the media center menus. It flashes like the dickens. I can't help but to think it's recording your movements around media center and saving the page file for later reference. I dunno...but let us know what your observations are.
post #746 of 3867 Old 05-29-2008, 02:51 PM
Advanced Member

Here's some potentially useful info. I went to check on Jim's method of observing ReadyBoost action (which turned out to be the same screen as I reported under Task manager, Jim just accessed it a different way) and found out that...I had no ReadyBoost. Unplugging and reinserting the Memory Stick was no help, the XL3 claimed it wasn't fast enough even after retesting it.

I tried formatting it NTFS and boom, ReadyBoost was back. I still don't know if Microsoft's claim of a 4GB limit is a true limitation of Vista or just that the default FAT32 maxes out at 4GB.

(BTW Jim, I am suprised you've got a 2gig card in FAT(16) as the default for anything bigger than 512MB is FAT32. In any event, that's as big as you can go because FAT16 ends at 2GB and the largest file supported is also 2GB.)

It's a real pain to format a card NTFS under XP but it's just another choice from the DDL under Vista. So now I start putting everything back the way it was, which means popping back in that 2GB slow CF card that started this whole mess a month or so ago.

How slow? The Memory Stick formats 4GB in about a minute, full format; the 2GB CF took over half an hour. And remember, even when I tried a hot Class 6 CF card by itself ReadyBoost rejected it, so there's an issue with the CF bus itself on the XL3.

And now that I had everything set back up, ReadyBoost was gone again!

This time, however, when I unplugged the CF and rebooted, ReadyBoost re-appeared. Just for S&Gs, I tried formatting the CF as NTFS. It worked (taking a half-hour), which really suprised me that I could even do it, and now ReadyBoost was still available even with the CF card plugged in (summary: a slow 2GB CF card, formatted NTFS, coexists with ReadyBoost on a fast 4GB Memory Stick, also formatted NTFS).

However, I noted that I got a lot of activity light flashing. I mean, a LOT. I think I had stumbled upon a way to spoof ReadyBoost into using a drive system that it shouldn't when I formatted the much-too-slow slow-the-whole-bus-down CF card as NTFS. I could be wrong because I still don't see the actual speed numbers that Jim seems to be alluding to, but it makes sense and it took a good five minutes after bootup before the activity light started calming down.

Next, I removed the CF card and tried the 256MB SD card (FAT32) that I had originally gotten to work with ReadyBoost. Although it was not formatted NTFS, it did not impact the MemoryStick's ReadyBoost at all and did not seem to make bootup activity any longer. So for whatever reason, an NTFS MemoryStick is compatible with ReadyBoost alongside an NTFS CF card, but not a FAT32 CF card, but is compatible alongside a FAT32 SD card.

So, I will be retiring that CF card permanently, and will only leave the Memory Stick in. If I need to copy something to or from the XL3, I'll use SD as I need it.

Jim, when you are in the activity monitoring screen, what exactly are you looking under to see the writes to the card?

--------------------------------

H.P. Lovecraft once prefaced a story with a remark to the effect of, just because creepy things happen doesn't mean they're not just coincidence. After reading D.C.'s link about Restricted Content errors resulting from buggy updates, I went to my XL3 to learn...it failed to record the last three shows, and I was now getting R.C. errors on every channel!

But that seems impossible...as you know, I am a evangelist against automatic updates, and I verified that my last update was back on April 7th. How could this happen to me when the reports deal with an errant update around May 25?

Nonetheless, I restored a backup (losing the licenses to a few more shows in the process), and for good measure re-flashed my ATI firmware from a known good copy, and shut down updates altogether.

Still no soap.

Terror began to take hold...I verified that I still had analog cable coming in. I had a good CableCard signal in the diagnostics screen, but I reinstalled the CableCard anyway, and revalidated the Digital Cable Tuner. No good. None of the fixes posted at The Green Button are working either. But this shouldn't be happpening: none of the conditions the Microsoft rep reported even apply to me!

Could it possibly have anything to do with the announcement that CableVision sent out saying that to get most HD channels, CableCard users will have to get a STB? That still doesn't explain why all my channels are affected, but maybe they screwed up and discontinued CableCard support for all channels instead of just my favorite HD networks. I call them, they want to transfer me to the CableCard department (uh, that'd be "Bill" in the utility closet studying the photos he took of me showing him how to set up a CableCard), I say no, that's not what I want, the CableCard is the one thing I know ISN'T the problem! Just tell me if you've made any system changes on your end in the past 36 hours!

But they insisted that only a CableCard "expert" could help me. I explained in vain that troubleshooting the CableCard is a waste of time with a known outcome. They transferred me; I hung up. Disaster loomed...if I was going to have to depend on some combination of Sony, Microsoft and Cablevision to solve this, I would surely never record another digital show on my XL3.

Two hours later, all channels reappeared on their own. It was just a routine Cablevision glitch...a coincidence having nothing to do with the update corruption issue!
post #747 of 3867 Old 05-29-2008, 06:39 PM

Quote:

H.P. Lovecraft once wrote prefaced a story with a remark to the effect of, just because creepy things happen doesn't mean they're not just coincidence. After reading D.C.'s terrifying link about Restricted Content, I went to my XL3 to learn...it failed to record thre last three shows, and I was now getting R.C. errors on every channel!

Two hours later, all channels reappeared on their own. It was just a a routine Cablevision glitch...a coincidence having nothing to do with the update corruption issue!

I may have jumped the gun on this one. According to chris laniers blog it seems that the RC issue is isolated to dell xps systems with an external tuner. Something to do with a Dell support update. I just hope it doesn't trickle down to the Vaios.
post #748 of 3867 Old 05-29-2008, 07:01 PM
AVS Special Member

It's actually not isolated to just Dell's, it just so happens there are several issues at play. One of them is Dell's software for sure, but the Restricted Content errors can, will, and do impact other machines. Internal vs. external tuners make no difference. The tuners are exactly the same. The only difference is that the externals have a plastic casing and power brick.

If you do run into a Restricted Content error please post it to that thread on The Green Button.

Chris
post #749 of 3867 Old 05-30-2008, 04:44 AM

Hi Jeff,

Quote:

which turned out to be the same screen as I reported under Task manager, Jim just accessed it a different way

You're right. Sorry - I forgot you could get to the Monitor your way.
However, accessing it my way you get an additional set of options down the right-hand side:
  • Performance Monitor - which gives a much greater level of monitoring capability
  • Reliability Monitor - which gives an indication of just how reliable your system thinks it is

Quote:

as the default for anything bigger than 512MB is FAT32

Obviously the "default" isn't always the "default" then - see attached image!

I can force a format of the card to FAT32, but it won't format using NTFS - it just comes up with the failure "Unable to complete the format". Anyway FAT seems to work fine, though I am now trying FAT32.

Which is better FAT with an allocation unit size of 32B or FAT32 with an the allocation unit size of 4096B? My assumption is that the allocation unit size is the single minimum read/write size - so is the bigger the better in this type of usage?

Quote:

when you are in the activity monitoring screen, what exactly are you looking under to see the writes to the card?

• Click on the "Disk" bar to expand its contents
  • Click on Column Header "Write (B/min)" to get the top writer to the top of the list - you might have to do this again as it doesn't always seem to stick.
  • The "File" column shows which file is being written.

Immediately after turning on the ReadyBoost, on the SD card, the top writer was shown as the file j:\\ReadyBoost.fscache - I might have been a bit optimistic at 5MB/sec which was the total disk write activity which included significant writing to the PageFile - see attached.

You can also use the Performance monitor mentioned above. Add monitoring of: PhysicalDisk > Disk Bytes/sec (or Disk Write Bytes/sec and Disk Read Bytes/Sec if you want to see the difference) and the appropriate Disk Instance (j: for my SD Card) you can then see the detail of what is being written/read from the Card.

...I have just discovered that there is a counter called READYBOOST Cache, but I haven't investigated its sub-catagories yet! If I discover something interesting I'll let you know.

Glad the problem was just a glitch - gets the old heart pumping when it happens though!

Cheers, Jim
LL
LL
post #750 of 3867 Old 05-30-2008, 06:46 AM
Advanced Member

>Obviously the "default" isn't always the "default" then - see attached image!

I'll be damned, that's a mystery. I haven't seen a large drive default to FAT16 since Windows ME.

According to Microsoft, ReadyBoost allocates in chunks of 512kB. Therefore, I presume that you would want the largest possible allocation chunk to minimize overhead spent doing FAT lookups. While researching this, I also learned that NTFS is in fact natively supported; I wasn't just lucky, it's by design. I also read that in future versions of Windows, ReadyBoost may be able to utilize RAM in idle PCs sitting elsewhere on a network! (I suspect that would choke even a gigabit router, but there are some new technologies on the horizon for routers - in fact, according to Scientific American they won't even be called routers anymore.)

OK, I've got the ReadyBoost cache displayed. My problem was that I was sorting by activity after the writing was done, so of course it was off the screen.

However, I can't see that ReadyBoost drive-specific viewport. Help says to "right-click the Performance Monitor area" and configure my custom view, but I right-click everywhere and the best I can get is for the existing views (CPU, Disk, etc.) to roll up or roll down. What am I missing?
Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
Sony , Blu Ray Players , Xbox 360 250gb Console With Kinect
Gear in this thread - 250gb by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page