post #1 of 16 Old 04-21-2007, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
With the new Forceware 158.19 drivers for XP, on the driver page it says:

PureVideo HD support is currently only available on Microsoft® Windows Vista

The heck? Why would they do that. I want to go back the 97 series drivers, but in the 158's they fixed a nasty Source engine rendering bug.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 04-21-2007, 12:07 PM
jp2

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
are you connecting your htpc to your sony tv? if so, are you able to adjust underscan with those drivers so the whole desktop fits properly on your tv screen? I'm also wondering if nvidia is referring to their new 8600/8500 cards and the purevideo support under xp.
thanks for any info.
jp
post #3 of 16 Old 04-21-2007, 01:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
PureVideo HD is a new version of PureVideo avaliable only in 8xxx. See the following link.

http://www.nvidia.com/page/purevideo_hd.html

Nothing was removed from XP since XP supports the previous version of PureVideo which is a subset of the new version AFAIK.
post #4 of 16 Old 04-21-2007, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by walford View Post

PureVideo HD is a new version of PureVideo avaliable only in 8xxx. See the following link.

http://www.nvidia.com/page/purevideo_hd.html

Nothing was removed from XP since XP supports the previous version of PureVideo which is a subset of the new version AFAIK.

I have a 8800 GTS.

Under the 97.xx series drivers HD .ts files played fine in PowerDVD 7. Now with these new drivers PowerDVD can't play them with Purevideo Hardware acceleration turned on, meaning nvidia did in fact remove HD support from PureVideo in XP.
post #5 of 16 Old 04-21-2007, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member

It's possible that 158.xx is completely recoded from the bottom-up (hence the big leap in numbers). If that's true, then they will have had to pick which parts to support first.
post #6 of 16 Old 04-21-2007, 03:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I think there is confusion between the "PureVideo" product as available on Windows XP for both SD and HD.ts or other file types and the new "PureVideo HD" product features of the 8xxx cards. What NVIDIA stated in the release notes was that the new PureVideo HD product features are only availble on Vista.
I think that eric has actually come across a bug in the 158.19 drivers since he has found that the "PureVideo" product drivers for XP are not working properly and there is nothing in the release notes of 158.19 that states that support for PureVideo support for any file types was removed or not working properly.
post #7 of 16 Old 04-21-2007, 03:35 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Purevideo HD is not limited to the 8xxx series of graphics cards...

From....(NVIDIA PUREVIDEO HD FAQ)
http://www.nzone.com/object/nzone_pvhd_faq.html
Are there any PureVideo HD graphics cards shipping now?
Yes. Click "here" to see graphics cards that have been qualified for the PureVideo HD badge.
(here was the link from the here...
http://www.nzone.com/object/nzone_pvhd_build.html)

Its lists some 79xx's, 7600
post #8 of 16 Old 04-21-2007, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Why don't you guys use Dscaler 1080i version/Core AVC?

They just work.

Not like this junk from Nvidia.

Loving my Electric Bike!!
post #9 of 16 Old 04-21-2007, 07:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_orst View Post

Purevideo HD is not limited to the 8xxx series of graphics cards...

From....(NVIDIA PUREVIDEO HD FAQ)
http://www.nzone.com/object/nzone_pvhd_faq.html
Are there any PureVideo HD graphics cards shipping now?
Yes. Click "here" to see graphics cards that have been qualified for the PureVideo HD badge.
(here was the link from the here...
http://www.nzone.com/object/nzone_pvhd_build.html)

Its lists some 79xx's, 7600

Very interesting. I had not seen those links before.
But does the release note that says PureVideo HD is only available with Vista apply.
I think that it might since PureVideo HD maybe using DX10 support via software and or hardware if available to do its thing.
post #10 of 16 Old 04-21-2007, 08:21 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 372
The suupport for the second generation PureVideo HD (implemented in GeForce 8600/8500) under Windows XP is expected in June 2007.

Source: OCWorkBench - NVIDIA PureVideo HD on GeForce 8500 and 8600 series uses new Video processing engine.

-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 16 Old 04-22-2007, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

I've generally been happy with purevideo in general, but it's a pain to get to work just right, and nvidia's hit and miss support for accelerated video as opposed to gaming improvements has driven me crazy. Sometimes features stay working in a new release, and sometimes the break stuff that used to work.

Now this - I have to wait till June for XP support? It's enough to make you switch to ATI. What kind of nonsense is this? Nvidia isn't exactly a small company. They can't do parallel releases of Vista (which no one in their right mind would use if they care about stability), and XP? What's the deal nvidia? Why don't you switch to folgers in the cafeteria and use the saved money to make stable HTPC drivers that just work consistently for both vista and XP!

Thanks,
Mike
post #12 of 16 Old 04-22-2007, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

And there are still no stereo 3d drivers for Linux, XP-64, or Vista.

Health insurance inevitably leads to poor quality, inefficiency, inflated costs for health care, and rationing.
post #13 of 16 Old 04-22-2007, 10:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I noticed that there was a patch to the cyberlink PowerDVD decoder just a couple of days before the release of 158. I wonder if they had assumed that support for purevideo HD would be in the 158 XP drivers and were trying to call it once 158 was released and then had to chage back to just calling the older Purevideo in XP.
post #14 of 16 Old 04-22-2007, 11:41 AM
Advanced Member

I'm using hardware decoding with .TS files on a 7600GT and the 165.XX beta's and XP. The only hitch I've had is having to enable YUV mixing in VMR mode for the deinterlacing to work properly.
post #15 of 16 Old 04-25-2007, 04:10 PM

Hmm.

Does anybody know if the 8600 cards that are out now are using this crippled driver?

I'm looking to pick up an EVGA 8600GT tomorrow because the integrated graphics on my mobo don't do a very good job with WinDVD, but I may wait until after the new drivers that have Purevideo HD enabled in XP hit.

I think nVidia really blew the roll-out for the 8600's by not clarifying that the 17th was the day that the part would be announced, not the day the actual cards would be widely available. They should have had the cards ready to go that day.

I still intend to get one, though. i just won't upgrade the drivers until after the new one hits. It may not be too big of an issue because next week I'll be replacing the single-core A64 3200+ I have with a dual-core X2 4200+ or 4600+ (depending on which one is in stock).
post #16 of 16 Old 04-25-2007, 06:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric.exe View Post

I have a 8800 GTS.

Under the 97.xx series drivers HD .ts files played fine in PowerDVD 7. Now with these new drivers PowerDVD can't play them with Purevideo Hardware acceleration turned on, meaning nvidia did in fact remove HD support from PureVideo in XP.

My experience was different than Eric's. Using the new drivers HD .ts (1080i) played just fine with hw decoding turned on (using 8800GTX). Task manager showed low CPU utilization (~14%) and I'm recording American Idol in the background and running a bunch of apps on a E6600 running stock.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page