How to "best" display standard DVD content on 1080P device? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 05-02-2007, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
heartsurgeon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 916
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Here's the new HTPC

gigabyte motherboard
e6600 cpu
8600gts video card

what's the best way to get a standard DVD out to a 70" Sony XBR2 1080P display?
best to me is zero microstutters, etc...i'm willing to sacrifice the "sharpest" image in order to achieve the "smoothest" image..i just can't tolerate any stuttering..

on my old htpc (2.8 pentium) i tried ffdshow (output to a 720p display) and occasionally got microstutters...it bugged me, and i took ffdshow out of the loop..and i'm happy with the playback on that system straight through the vid card without any image processing.

well, now i have more horsepower under the hood, but i've also got 1080P to deal with.

recommendations? theatertek alone? theatertek with ffdshow?, if so, what settings? am i going to get (micro)stutters again?

i obviously plan to play HD and/or BR on this system as well. Do I want to set up two different programs, one for HD DVD, and one for DVD?

surely others are faced with this same situation, but i haven't seen a discussion as to how best to deal with "legacy" dvd's in a 1080P world..

help a middle aged man achieve his htpc dreams before he dies.....

Rule #1: You haven't wasted your money...you just haven't spent enough yet.
Rule #2: When in doubt...get both.
Rule #3: No need to invoke malice when stupidity alone suffices.
heartsurgeon is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 Old 05-02-2007, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member
 
arfster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 2,919
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
FFDshow probably isn't needed for most DVDs if you have an 8 series card - I'm an ffdshut nut and even I gave it up when I got one.

If you're using Vista: try WMP with Dscaler. Seriously - WMP uses EVR, which (when it's happy with your drivers) gives an excellent, smooth image. Dscaler sucks as far as deinterlacing goes, but it's perfect for film DVDs which don't need that at all.

If you're on XP, WMP isn't quite so good. Try MPC in VMR9 mode with Dscaler, see if you can get it going without tearing. If so, all good. If not you'll need to get Zoomplayer or Theatertek - good time to get the latter atm btw, it's $40 (normally $70).

For HDDVD or Bluray, Powerdvd is the only real option at present. If you do get this, it contains all the video codecs you need for everything else, so don't bother with Theatertek also (a lot of the reason people buy Theatertek is for the purevideo codec it comes with). I've not tried to calibrate the new PDVD, but haven't noticed any colour problems - if it's smooth for you, you've got one app pretty much able to play everything.

Note this will be heresy to a lot of people, since PDVD has been fairly universally panned throughout its lifetime (and rightly so). However, recently they've got pretty much everything right (excepting still buggy HD playback!), and without the need for ffdshow it looks like a pretty good solution.
arfster is offline  
post #3 of 9 Old 05-02-2007, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member
 
8:13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,250
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I couldn't get theatertek to scale very well.
I use Vista premium.
I tried evr, vmr9 renderless, HW support.
It was either too soft and blurry and didn't use HW mode, or using HW mode it was using bilinear resizing which is very blocky and ugly.

So I had different results then Arfster did.
Maybe it's different in XP.

Look at this thread, try out the Seesaw configuration and see what you think.
Link


There is new, and then you are new.
This is a moral of the bears and their cereal.
8:13 is offline  
post #4 of 9 Old 05-02-2007, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member
 
arfster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 2,919
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8:13 View Post

I couldn't get theatertek to scale very well.
I use Vista premium.
I tried evr, vmr9 renderless, HW support.
It was either too soft and blurry and didn't use HW mode, or using HW mode it was using bilinear resizing which is very blocky and ugly.

That does depend on the video card though - the 8xxx models have vastly superior scaling. If you have something else then ffdshow is worth the hassle (perhaps not the 7800, someone said they were better than earlier models)

Theatertek itself doesn't do any of the scaling - what you're looking for in the video application itself is mainly a well-written presenter for VMR9 renderless, so you avoid tearing and get nice smooth video (and TT is as good as they get in that regard). WMP is pretty nice at that also, but it has some other quirks, and irritatingly in XP it uses VMR7 with its associated colour and timing problems. In Vista they've gone for EVR, which is a big improvement.
arfster is offline  
post #5 of 9 Old 05-02-2007, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Favelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Victoria, BC, Canada
Posts: 3,788
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
FFDshow probably isn't needed for most DVDs if you have an 8 series card - I'm an ffdshut nut and even I gave it up when I got one.


Does this include the 8800GT cards? Would they scale anywhere near close to the standalone HD-DVD players?

In terms of LFE, size does matter!
Favelle is offline  
post #6 of 9 Old 05-02-2007, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member
 
arfster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 2,919
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Favelle View Post

Does this include the 8800GT cards? Would they scale anywhere near close to the standalone HD-DVD players?

Yes, all 8 series have the same scaling. If you dig around this forum you'll see quite a few 8800 buyers noticed the improved scaling a while back.

As for a comparison: depends which model! It should be pretty similar though - I think we're approaching the limits of what can be done with upscaling low bitrate DVD.
arfster is offline  
post #7 of 9 Old 05-02-2007, 08:12 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Mark_A_W's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 8,110
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by heartsurgeon View Post

Here's the new HTPC

gigabyte motherboard
e6600 cpu
8600gts video card

what's the best way to get a standard DVD out to a 70" Sony XBR2 1080P display?
best to me is zero microstutters, etc...i'm willing to sacrifice the "sharpest" image in order to achieve the "smoothest" image..i just can't tolerate any stuttering..

on my old htpc (2.8 pentium) i tried ffdshow (output to a 720p display) and occasionally got microstutters...it bugged me, and i took ffdshow out of the loop..and i'm happy with the playback on that system straight through the vid card without any image processing.

well, now i have more horsepower under the hood, but i've also got 1080P to deal with.

recommendations? theatertek alone? theatertek with ffdshow?, if so, what settings? am i going to get (micro)stutters again?

i obviously plan to play HD and/or BR on this system as well. Do I want to set up two different programs, one for HD DVD, and one for DVD?

surely others are faced with this same situation, but i haven't seen a discussion as to how best to deal with "legacy" dvd's in a 1080P world..

help a middle aged man achieve his htpc dreams before he dies.....

Can your display run a 48hz or 72hz refresh rate?

If it can't you'll always have judder....

Loving my Electric Bike!!
Mark_A_W is offline  
post #8 of 9 Old 05-03-2007, 11:00 AM
Member
 
delpis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 80
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by arfster View Post

As for a comparison: depends which model! It should be pretty similar though - I think we're approaching the limits of what can be done with upscaling low bitrate DVD.

Are there any agp cards under $60 shipped that upscale DVD's better then a Philips DVP5982 would? Or is the scaler in my Sony 30xs955 better then both?
delpis is offline  
post #9 of 9 Old 05-03-2007, 11:17 AM
Member
 
delpis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 80
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a P4 2.8 HT. Will I have the same stuttering problems with ffdshow?
delpis is offline  
Reply Home Theater Computers

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off