Help Pls....8mm video and Mini DV to computer??? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 05-02-2007, 08:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Everyone,

My parents finished basement flooded and god forbid a ton of family videos on VHS, Hi8, and MiniDV tapes were destroyed.

I have 90% of the originals here at my house but I do not have the 8mm camcorder that alot were produced on.

I want to try (if possible) to put my Hi8 and MiniDV tapes onto the computer so that I can have them well into the future. I could then burn them to DVD so my folks can watch them again.

I need (if there is a way) to get a player for the Hi8 (8mm) movies onto the computer. I have a Sony Video camera that takes MiniDV tapes and those I can move to the computer somehow as well.

Any solutions, cost, time involved...please help. My folks are devastated and this is definitely not my realm. I have been looking all over and the information is very confusing to me.

Thanks in advance for your help

Regards
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-02-2007, 08:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Sony used to make 8mm digital camcorders. What is cool about these is that you can easily capture the old analog 8mm via firewire into a computer. The capture software will even control the playback.

If they are no longer available new, I'm sure you could find a like new one on ebay.

Hard drives are very cheap now. Once you have all those tapes on hard disk, I suggest you buy several hard drives as backup copies and keep them at separate locations.

~Jay

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 Old 05-03-2007, 05:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 32
There are still 8MM camcorders available. A Hi8 unit runs about $240 and the base D8 is about $300. There are (were?) two D8 machines. The DCDTRV280 will not play analog 8MM tapes but the DCRTRV480 has backward compatibility for about $350. The 480 operates similarly to your MiniDV and you can feed analog into it and use it to transcode through the firewire output to the PC.

If you end up with an analog 8mm machine, you would need a capture device for your PC other than firewire. Now you're getting into tuner and capture cards and a whole new hobby.

The bad news is that the 480 is almost impossible to find since the buyers for the retailers didn't realize that there was a difference between the units (other than $50) and didn't stock the 480s.

8MM VCRs existed but cost twice the price of a camcorder because they were seen as "speciality" products and included high end editing features. Remanufactured camcorders show up at times and run about half of retail prices. You might even find a broken one that has a bad CCD imager. It won't record a camera image but it will play and transcode just fine.

Sturgeon's Law: "Nothing is always absolutely so."
Sturgeons Revelation: "Ninety percent of everything is crud."
My Thoughts: "A reasoned argument must share some basic common points."
post #4 of 8 Old 05-03-2007, 05:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes. Search ebay for "Sony Digital8" (or Hitachi, I think they made a model or two). For your purposes, if the LCD or the even the lens is busted it shouldn't matter. You just want to stick the 8mm analog tape in and tap it out on the Firewire.

I do not speak officially in any sense for
Intel Corp., Technology Manufacturing Group
but I do work there.
post #5 of 8 Old 05-03-2007, 06:02 PM

Another option if you just want straight copy to dvd is head down to your local grocery store. Many of the photocenters there have the ability now to do that very thing. I took my old 8mm film to the local Smiths and they transfered it to dvd.

Again no post processing but if you just want it transfered to a different media try your local photocenter at the grocery store.
post #6 of 8 Old 05-03-2007, 06:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Blasphemer!

I do not speak officially in any sense for
Intel Corp., Technology Manufacturing Group
but I do work there.
post #7 of 8 Old 05-05-2007, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod7501 View Post

There are still 8MM camcorders available. A Hi8 unit runs about $240 and the base D8 is about $300. There are (were?) two D8 machines. The DCDTRV280 will not play analog 8MM tapes but the DCRTRV480 has backward compatibility for about $350. The 480 operates similarly to your MiniDV and you can feed analog into it and use it to transcode through the firewire output to the PC.

I have a DCR-TRV460 that has the capablities described. It was probably replaced by the 480. Just a FYI in case you look for a used one.

-Tom
post #8 of 8 Old 05-05-2007, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Folks....picked up a cheap 8mm camera on Ebay.....anyone have any luck with the Pinnacle suites that have the device to import the analog to your computer and put it on disk?
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page