Is this HTPC set-up overkill? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 05-04-2007, 07:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,

I have been dilegently reading this forum for awhile now, and have managed to come up with a system that I think would fit all my needs. However, by the looks of some threads I think it might be a bit of an overkill? I plan on watching dvds, playing mp3s, surfing the internet, and occasionally looking at photos that are all served up from my media server. I also want to add a Blu-Ray player a little later down the line. This htpc will be in my living room hooked up to my pioneer 50 in plasma.

Please note I am not a gamer, so I don't require hardware for that. Lastly, I will not turn it into a PVR, but would love to hook it up to my av receiver as well.

Ok, now for the specs:

Processor: E6600
M/B: ASUS P5W DH Deluxe
Video Card: EVGA 768-P2-N831-AR GeForce 8800GTX GPU
HD:Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320 GB ST3500630AS(will go smaller due to media server)
RAM: 2GB

You will notice I don't have listed a TV Tuner card or a Sound Card. Do I need a TV Tuner Care and Sound Card for what I want to do? Is On-Board sound enough?

Thanks in advance...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2007, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 129
My thoughts:

- Video card, overkill. Get a 8500/8600
- Onboard sound - good enough
- TV Tuner - "I will not turn it into a PVR" if that's true, then no, you do not need it.
Old 05-04-2007, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 44
there is no such thing as overkill
Old 05-04-2007, 08:39 AM

The vid card isn't even an overkill, it's simply wrong for your needs.
If the 8800GTX cost $100 I'd still recommend you to get an 8500/8600.
If your gaming is 0% they are simply better for an HTPC regardless of price. They will also run cooler and quieter (Especially since you can get a fanless one).
Old 05-04-2007, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Aside from the BR Player, you could get a modded original Xbox for a lot less money and hassle. Aside from native HD and h264, it excels at streaming content especially DVD images, Xvid/Divx, all non-DRM audio, and pictures. It can upscale via component to 1080i or 720p, output DD5.1 and DTS via optical. That sounds like the bulk of what you are looking for.

As for overkill...well, streaming native HD formats and decoding h264 going forward (plus BR/HD-DVD) a HTPC offers quite a lot. The question becomes, what is overkill for you now and given your intended usage which way do you want to go. For immediate needs, you'd probably get a ton of mileage for very cheap and an unbeatable user interface going with an Xbox. As time goes on and your usage moves more into HD...it is hamstrung by processor, ram, and video so unless they port it, that platform is at its end. Here's a link with some pictures of the UI http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=635294

Panasonic 65" VT60 (calibrated by Jeff Meier), Marantz 6005, Kef Q towers/rears Kef Reference center, Win 7 Pro with XBMC, Harmony Ultimate One
Xbox Live: Arbitrage XXL
Old 05-04-2007, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for all the quick replies! I will save a few hundred bucks by taking the advice given to me, which I can look to throw somewhere else like building my next HTPC for my bedroom. Wife is trying to put the handcuffs on how much I spend, but I know she will love it once it gets done . Thanks again!
Old 05-04-2007, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmurray33 View Post

I will save a few hundred bucks by taking the advice given to me, which I can look to throw somewhere else like building my next HTPC for my bedroom.

Won't end there. When I went down this path...well..I have 5 HTPCs right now, with a big ass storage server.

Wife is trying to put the handcuffs on how much I spend, but I know she will love it once it gets done .

Yes, she will. Women are "results oriented". When she sees the convenience, she WILL love it. Mine did.