Sony VGX-XL1 Vista Premium Upgrade - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 05-05-2007, 07:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello VGX-XL1 friends,

I've sucessfully upgraded Sony's Digital Living System VGX-XL1 from Windows Media Center to Windows Vista Premium. Purchased this unit around a year back at TigerDirect ( $ 1099 ) and have been using it quite a bit with known issues around DTS and everything going out of TosLink as Dolby Live etc. Uninstalled Norton and disabled hibernation from the GO and booted to Windows and then started Media Center, it always loaded the media changer correctly.

With Vista around I kept looking at drivers released at Sony site. Ordered 1 GB of Kingston RAM ( DDR2 4200 ) from NewEgg ( $ 47 ) and grabbled a Vista Premium Upgrade from CompUSA ( $ 94 ). Yes it was STORE CLOSEOUT! Sony was not giving me a Vista express upgrade kit either as the unit was purchased before Oct 26, 2006.

Spent some time analyzing the details given at Sony's eSupport ( esupport|sony|com|US|perl|support-info.pl|info_id=144 - change pipe to . , / and ? ) and then looked at the drivers released for VGX-XL1. A few components listed out in step 7 are not even applicable to this model and a couple of more uninstall utilities were released since Jan 31, 2007 (The date of above link)

Go for it !Opened the box and snapped the HDMI graphics card. Removed two 256 RAM modules and added two 512 MB RAM. Added those two 256 RAM in remaining stots ( # 2 and # 4 ). Removed SATA cable from additional 250 GB hard drive I'd added few months back. Booted the box, memory was recognized. Ran unified and VAIO module uninstallers (thy remove 6 and 3 softwares respectively) and then four additional uninstall utilities published at eSupport site. Removed applications detailed out in Manual removal section ( WinDVD yes ! ).

The upgrade part is easy and you need to follow the steps detailed out in step 5. Opted not to activate Vista while I connect to internet and immediately after the install disabled automatic update to ensure no communication with Microsoft site ( Will enabled after watching a few movies ).

The detail oriented piece. I installed the files in a sequential order and look at the attached image to know my install order. A few applications listed in step 7 are not applicable for VGX-XL1. After covering the list, installed the remaining drivers published at eSupport. System reboots a few times and warns about incorrect installs etc. - ignore those. No WinDVD was a surprise and I was curious how Vista and XL1 are going to handle Dobly ( & DTS ! ).

Time to hold the nerve ! Connected the 200 disk changer and rebooted the system. Started the Media Center ( first time ) and went though mundane steps. Selected My DVD and viola, everything looked perfect! I couldn't believe it. Selected Master & Commander with DTS and my Pioneer VSX-816 switched to DTS! Without doubt there is a noticeable improvement in picture and sound and you will be blown away this time.
Sony's Vision meets the reality ( and makes me happy that I'll use VGX-XL1 for next few years to come ).
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-13-2007, 08:34 AM - Thread Starter

Updated NVIDIA drivers to latest release ( Version: 158.18 / May 2, 2007 ) and then rolled back to the drivers published at eSupport site.

The performance was horrible with latest driver while rendering DVD playback OR TV.

Life is good now
post #3 of 7 Old 06-05-2007, 08:38 PM

Hi,

Long time reader, first time poster here....

I purchased my XL1 back during the Tiger Direct clearance.

From the beginning I have been disappointed with this system but wanted so much to make it work.

I puchased the ATI Digital TV tuner to upgrade to HD recording and the Audio Advantage roadie for 5.1 audio playback and have 2 GB RAM in there.

I recently upgraded to Vista in hopes of finding a more stable OS after reading some posts from those who had become successful.

While it seemed to fix a lot of my issues I was having before I now have new issues when I play DVD's from the Media Center. They play for a while and then all of the sudden it just locks up. IThe sound goes and the screen freezes. I can't even get to the task manager to try and close out the MCE or shut the computer down. I have to unplug it!!

Any ideas what would cause this?

Also is it worth looking to upgrade the graphics card? I would lke to get something that can output 1080i and/or 1080p for the future if this is even possible with this machine. I don't know a lot about them but I am looking to keep the HDMI, find one that will fit in the case, is compatible with Vista and
will keep under the 297 available power watts. That is unless you can add a power supply to just power the video card.

Any help here would be much appreciated. Sony was no help, they told me that the MCE issue would need to be supported through Microsoft since I puchased it through Best Buy and didn't upgrade through them. They also said they could not reccomend any video cards.

Thanks!
post #4 of 7 Old 06-08-2007, 05:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyL View Post

While it seemed to fix a lot of my issues I was having before I now have new issues when I play DVD's from the Media Center. They play for a while and then all of the sudden it just locks up. IThe sound goes and the screen freezes. I can't even get to the task manager to try and close out the MCE or shut the computer down. I have to unplug it!!

have you upgraded graphics card OR driver ? dvd playback at my end is just fine
post #5 of 7 Old 06-09-2007, 07:55 AM

The driver I took off Sony's website. Not such good results.

I am looking at upgrading the card. Have you done this?

If so, what did you use?
post #6 of 7 Old 06-12-2007, 05:42 AM - Thread Starter

work on power options and make sure that system is always on ...
i've not upgraded the card .. given PSU is 297 W we'll need a card with low power requirements and build-in HD-DVD and Blu-Ray support .. ATI HD 2400 fits the bill .. wait for couple of months ...
post #7 of 7 Old 11-05-2007, 10:05 PM

I also have the sony digital living system w/two VGP-XL1B changers, as in 2 changers. I can load 200 dvds in one changer but cannot get the second changer to recognize the additional dvds in the second changer. If anyone is getting multple changers to work(daisy chain) please email me at blkcarx@swbell.net
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page