Passing DD and DTS from HTPC to reciever - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 05-14-2007, 11:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Long story short, I have movie server with 100 of my 300 movies ripped to the HDD uncompressed (750 MB and counting). I have an Audigy 2zs that I was using in my HTPC (connected to server via network) and I figured that I should be able to pass the DD and DTS from the ripped movie (ripped movie only + DD or DTS using cloneDVD) on the HDD to my onkyo receiver. Well come to find out for some reason I am only able to get PCM sent to the receiver (of course I found this out after spending a week ripping to server).

So here is the question:

Can a movie ripped to HDD on movie server send DD or DTS via network to HTPC and use Audigy to output DD or DTS? If not, is there a card or configuration that would allow?

If any more info is needed I can address it. Thanks in advance

Too much information, Too little time! Can we have 36 hour days?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 05-14-2007, 11:13 PM

A network drive is no different to a local drive as far as your HTPC is concerned, passing DD or DTS shouldnt be a problem at all.

So long as your HTPC is hooked up via a digital audio conennection to your reciever (or is decoding to 5.1 channels and your using 6 discrete analoge inputs in your reciever).

If you put a disc into the HTPC and it plays, and your using the same player to play dvd's off your share - it should work

Cheers,
Bitey
post #3 of 11 Old 05-14-2007, 11:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Yep. Having a network drive is no different than a regular hard drive in your tower, or an external connected by USB/firewire for that matter.

However, are you certain that the Audigy 2ZS can pass a DD signal to a receiver? It doesn't have a digital out, only analongs.........the network isn't your problem, its your choice of sound card.

In terms of LFE, size does matter!
post #4 of 11 Old 05-15-2007, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter

the audigy does have a s/pdif coaxial (via mini plug) out which is why i recieve PCM to my reciever, however i am not sure if it does a pure "pass thru" so the encoded DD and DTS can be routed to the receiver to do the decoding. my preference is to use the receiver for decoding and not have to send analog to it.

really just curious if clone dvd is convertive dd and dts to pcm then outputing only pcm

post #5 of 11 Old 05-15-2007, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
CloneDVD has the option to include or exclude any audio stream you want, including director's comments and subtitles. So if you chose to not include DTS, then it won't be in there.

In terms of LFE, size does matter!
post #6 of 11 Old 05-15-2007, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cranium View Post

the audigy does have a s/pdif coaxial (via mini plug) out which is why i recieve PCM to my reciever, however i am not sure if it does a pure "pass thru" so the encoded DD and DTS can be routed to the receiver to do the decoding. my preference is to use the receiver for decoding and not have to send analog to it.

really just curious if clone dvd is convertive dd and dts to pcm then outputing only pcm

Yes it can do 'pure passthrough' of DD and DTS from a DVD (or DVD ripped to a hard drive). Keep in mind that the audigy and x-fi cards from Creative feature DD/DTS decoding. If you want to passthrough DD/DTS undecoded to your receiver you need to make sure you've turned off that decoding.
post #7 of 11 Old 05-15-2007, 11:42 AM

you must setup your player software to do passthrough of DD/DTS

this configuration is typically found in the audio filters

what playback software are you using?
post #8 of 11 Old 05-15-2007, 11:43 AM

you must setup your player software to do passthrough of DD/DTS

this configuration is typically found in the audio filters

what playback software and filters are you using?
post #9 of 11 Old 05-15-2007, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

CloneDVD has the option to include or exclude any audio stream you want, including director's comments and subtitles. So if you chose to not include DTS, then it won't be in there.

i have ripped movie only and included only DD 5.1 or DTS (when available) audio streams to be ripped as well.

Quote:

what playback software and filters are you using?

i was using powerDVD to do play back. i set up the software that comes with the audigy card to only output through s/pdif.

like i said it just seem weird that if i only ripped DD and DTS streams to HDD that the card (when required to output digital) only outputs PCM

post #10 of 11 Old 05-15-2007, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cranium View Post

i have ripped movie only and included only DD 5.1 or DTS (when available) audio streams to be ripped as well.

i was using powerDVD to do play back. i set up the software that comes with the audigy card to only output through s/pdif.

like i said it just seem weird that if i only ripped DD and DTS streams to HDD that the card (when required to output digital) only outputs PCM

This is a common setup problem. What this almost always means is that something is *decoding* the DD/DTS before it is sent out your computer's S/PDIF to your receiver. From your description this would mean either the software player (PowerDVD) or the audigy software.

I know you said that you've set the audigy to only output via the S/PDIF, but this does not necessarily mean you've disabled the card's DD/DTS decoding function - possibly the card is set to decode DD/DTS which would result in the front two channels coming out the S/PDIF as PCM. Please doublecheck this setting (where are you disabling the DD/DTS - that will help us here to make sure that its set correctly).

Also, make sure your PowerDVD isn't set for any DD/DTS decoding in its configuration.

Finally I've heard of some oem and such versions of PowerDVD that do not support S/PDIF output, so maybe try other dvd playback software to make sure powerdvd isn't the issue.
post #11 of 11 Old 05-15-2007, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter

thank you all very much i will try all suggestions.

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page