New to HTPC - Need software recommendations please - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 05-17-2007, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
First, allow me to apologize to members and mods if this has been covered, I parsed through the first pages and was unable to find an answer to my questions.

Let me tell you where I am at and where I want to go. I am setting up a HTPC system for my new house. The backbone is a Thecus linux box with 3 TB usable storage. I have build a top end HTPC that is going to sit next to it, and it needs to serve these purposes:

1. Rip DVD's to disk
2. Compress said DVDs
3. Catalog the DVDs
4. Playback the DVD's to my high def 50 inch tv.
5. I would love to use this as my Tivo, as I just have a series 2 box currently, and don't want to buy a series 3 just to record in high D.

I was told I should be able to compress the 4 G dvd's to about 1 gig.

What software should I employee to accomplish these goals? Freeware or paid programs both are fine, whichever works the best.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-17-2007, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

You realize that compressing the DVDs will reduce their visual quality...

With 3TB, why not just save them in native format? Plus, you won't have to spend the time transcoding them.

DVDFab Platinum seems to be good with keeping up to date on cracking the latest DVD protection schemes.

For playback I would recommend TheaterTek or Zoomplayer.

If you want a nice frontend, you should look through the recent threads already here.

Ozy
post #3 of 5 Old 05-17-2007, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
For HD recording and playback there are plenty of good options in both windows and linux. Have you selected your OS? I noticed you mention you have a linux backbone, but you didn't mention what OS you want to run on your HTPC. IF you are interested in windows, search around this forum for lots of options. If you are interested in Linux (or MAC) look around in the Linux or mac subforums? HAve you already purchased the hardware for your HTPC?
post #4 of 5 Old 05-17-2007, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter

The Thecus is basically a raid 5 linux driven external hard drive. That is the data storage side of it. The actual HTPC doing the magic will be Windows XP

I was told the compression really wouldn't loose a lot of resolution. This is pretty easy to test out though.

Ideally, I want to be able to pop in a DVD, press a button, and have it ripped to hard drive. I heard a lot of good things about DVD Shrink as it just grabs the movie, not the menu and extras from the disk, and to use ANY DVD for the encyption protocals.

The High D idea was just a secondary thought and application, I see there is a whole forum dedicated just to that
post #5 of 5 Old 05-17-2007, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

For me, DVD Shrink has been failing on some recent movies, while DVDFab Platinum manages them just fine. DVDFab also allows you to just choose the main movie.

Ozy
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page