Promise SMARTSTOR NS4300N - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #271 of 681 Old 02-23-2009, 04:50 AM
Newbie
 
ranaranosa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
BuckoNZ,

I am starting to use a Promise 4300N a few days ago and got the same problem that you report using Playstation 3 and smartsotr 4300N.

In your interaction with support did they mention any way to get a log or list with the offending files that stop plugin execution?

Could you share the Beta plugin v1.01.0000.06 tp test it?


Thanks for your great research.


ranaranosa
ranaranosa is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #272 of 681 Old 02-23-2009, 12:17 PM
Senior Member
 
BuckoNZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Wellington, New Zealand
Posts: 285
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranaranosa View Post

BuckoNZ,

I am starting to use a Promise 4300N a few days ago and got the same problem that you report using Playstation 3 and smartsotr 4300N.

In your interaction with support did they mention any way to get a log or list with the offending files that stop plugin execution?

Could you share the Beta plugin v1.01.0000.06 tp test it?

Thanks for your great research.

Unfortunately, I do not feel comfortable releasing a version of the BETA plugin publically, especialy without the permission to do so from Promise.

However, I can confirm that this new BETA does work well. Even the New Zealand distributor of the product, who has been testing themselves, agree that it is MUCH better, than the current Promise DLNA plugins available.

Through this distributor, I will seek permission from Promise to post the new v1.01.0000.06 here (and on another forum that I have been regularly updating). I will let you know as soon as possible.

With this new plugin, I only have one file that the plugin doesn't like... an AVI of a music video, which probably doesn't conform to the correct standards, etc. However, Promise have been vague of what types of files are likely to cause DLNA indexing issues.

A question... did you install the DLNA plugin before or after you placed your data on the NAS device?

Regards,
Todd.
BuckoNZ is offline  
post #273 of 681 Old 02-23-2009, 02:26 PM
Newbie
 
ranaranosa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I hope you could release it soon, or before Promise.

Before this forum I contact Promise asking support related to the missing files in DLNA and have not received any answer about this problem.

How did you get to the offending file, using "try and fail"(erase/move and try), a log file or it is just the only file the new PlugIn did not see?

I installed the PlugIn before. But when I finished copying the Video and Music files I did the disable, uninstall, reset, install and enable procedure, and wait enough time to watch them (or just the ones this PlugIn accept) from the Play3.

Regards
ranaranosa is offline  
post #274 of 681 Old 02-23-2009, 06:09 PM
Senior Member
 
BuckoNZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Wellington, New Zealand
Posts: 285
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranaranosa View Post

I hope you could release it soon, or before Promise.

Before this forum I contact Promise asking support related to the missing files in DLNA and have not received any answer about this problem.

How did you get to the offending file, using "try and fail"(erase/move and try), a log file or it is just the only file the new PlugIn did not see?

I installed the PlugIn before. But when I finished copying the Video and Music files I did the disable, uninstall, reset, install and enable procedure, and wait enough time to watch them (or just the ones this PlugIn accept) from the Play3.

Regards

Your story is very familiar... I didn't hear anything back from Promise at all. That's when I called my local distributor and advised them of the poor service I was receiving.

I kinda knew that this file was a little dodgy. Like I said in a previous post, from time to time WMP would "complain" about this particualr AVI... it always played it, but popped up a message saying that WMP may not be able to play this file correctly, etc.

Also, I ran a media analysier over it and it came up with some "dodgy" messages as well.

The benefit of this new plugin is that it seems capible of ignoring these improper files and carrying on the indexing process.

It was good that you uninstalled and reinstalled the plugin again. I assume when yopu said you did a reset, you meant a restart?

What I would do to troubleshoot your issue, is to remove all the contents of your 'Video' share to another NAS share that is not scanned by DLNA - such as 'Download'. After the initial indexing is done (make sure you allow AT LEAST 6 hours):
- Disable the Media Server connectivity on the PS3 and shutdown.
- Move all the files that were in the root of the 'Video' share, back to where they were.
- Wait approx. 2 hours, start up your PS3, re-enable the Media Server connectivity and even though it might show the SmartStor NAS device, make it scan for Media Servers (apparently this forces the media server - in this case the Promise NAS to "hand over" it's latest indexing file).
- Check the VIDEO folder on the PS3 to see what does, or doesn't display. If you find something that doesn't show, move it out again and repeat this process. If everything does show, now copy over one of the sub-folders and it's contents... and repeat...

But, you probably have an idea if you have certain files that are not "the best" in respect to conforming with proper media standards.

I have had it confirmed that the NZ distributor has passed on my request to make this DLNA plugin available to you, to Promise. We are still waiting to hear back.

Regards,
BuckoNZ
BuckoNZ is offline  
post #275 of 681 Old 02-24-2009, 02:12 AM
Senior Member
 
BuckoNZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Wellington, New Zealand
Posts: 285
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
In my last entry, there was one file - an AVI clip - that was in the 'Video' share on the NAS device, but would not show on the PS3.

Promise have determined that the file, as suspected, was "dodgy". After using a tool called 'WinMEnc' to convert the AVI into an MPEG. After doing this and adding to the 'Video' share, it dispalyed and played on the PS3.

In addition, the NZ distributor has also been testing this new v1.01.0000.06 BETA plugin and confirm my results that additions to the three media areas on the NAS media server are detected more quickly on a media renderer (i.e. the PS3).

Again, confirmation that this new BETA plugin is working well.

I have placed a request with Promise, based on this success, to allow me to post this new BETA for download, in three online forums:
- Here in this thread, on 'AVS Forum'
- On the official 'PlayStation 3' forums, where I begin working on this.
- On the forum section of 'SmallNetBuilder'.

I will advise as soon as I get a response.

Regards,
BuckoNZ
BuckoNZ is offline  
post #276 of 681 Old 02-24-2009, 02:13 PM
Senior Member
 
BuckoNZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Wellington, New Zealand
Posts: 285
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have been given approval by the Promise R&D team, via the New Zealand distributor of Promise products, to make publically available the latest DLNA plugin. At the time of writing, this release is NOT yet available on the Promise website.


Please follow the following proceedure:

- Disable current DLNA plugin you are using.
- Uninstall current DLNA plugin.
- Restart Promise SmartStor NAS device.
- Install this new DLNA plugin (v1.01.0000.06).
- Enable the plugin.

Please allow at least 6 hours for the initial indexing process to complete. Enjoy.

(As I am payng for the hosting of this plugin, I will remove it should my tarffic cap exceed).

Regards,
BuckoNZ
BuckoNZ is offline  
post #277 of 681 Old 02-25-2009, 03:24 AM
Newbie
 
ranaranosa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10


I'll try this new PlugIn and thank you for your efforts BuckoNZ.

In the other hand do you know any PlugIn or a way to implement some kind of SecureFTP, SSH FTP or protected ftp in the Smartstor,

Are there third parties PlugIn providers or SDK for this NAS?

Have you suffered from bad performance or do you have any tips to improved performance?

Thank you again.


Regards
ranaranosa
ranaranosa is offline  
post #278 of 681 Old 02-25-2009, 02:41 PM
Senior Member
 
BuckoNZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Wellington, New Zealand
Posts: 285
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ranaranosa,

I have no desire to access my NAS remotely, so I have turned off all FTP features. SO, can't help you with that.

No... I haven't really had any performance issues at all. Numerous people report bad throughput, however it has always done the job for me.

My home network consists of 2 x NetGear GS605 (5 port, gigabit) switches. My NAS is conntected to one and my HTPC is connected to the other - they are joined by a 20m Cat.5e cable and I don't have any issues pulling downloaded TV shows (at 720p) across this setup - I don't see any stutter at all.

I am not using Jumbo Frames either... I read an article that it's more effort than it's worth (i.e. that unless ALL devices on your network are configured to use Jumbo Frames, it can cause issues) on many home/SOHO applications.

Cheers,
BuckoNZ
BuckoNZ is offline  
post #279 of 681 Old 02-26-2009, 04:14 PM
Newbie
 
ranaranosa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
BockoNZ,

Thanks again. The PlugIn just work great. Just one file wrong broke the whole list with the old one.
ranaranosa is offline  
post #280 of 681 Old 02-26-2009, 04:59 PM
Senior Member
 
BuckoNZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Wellington, New Zealand
Posts: 285
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranaranosa View Post

Just one file wrong broke the whole list with the old one.

Ok, just so I understand correctly, you are saying that this new plugin is working very well for you... that you have found one broken file, which with the old plugins, stopped the indexing process? Correct?

If so, fantastic news!

Regards,
BuckoNZ
BuckoNZ is offline  
post #281 of 681 Old 02-27-2009, 09:15 AM
Newbie
 
ranaranosa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yeah. That's correct
ranaranosa is offline  
post #282 of 681 Old 03-02-2009, 05:16 AM
Newbie
 
Joey1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Updates from the frontline.

I've just installed the new DLNA plug-in (v06) and it works wonderfully on my xbox 360. Video/Pictures/Music is working just fine. I can't confirm if it has detected every file, but it's populated with significantly more media than in the previous version. (Previously, I saw 1 subfolder in the Video section). Almost all my media plays fine and those that don't are a limitation of the xbox (mkv files specifically).

my 2 cents

-Joey
Joey1234 is offline  
post #283 of 681 Old 03-02-2009, 11:50 AM
Senior Member
 
BuckoNZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Wellington, New Zealand
Posts: 285
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Joey,

Thanks for the feedback. Great to know that this new plugin isn't "just" working for me.

Cheers,
BuckoNZ
BuckoNZ is offline  
post #284 of 681 Old 03-06-2009, 06:08 PM
Newbie
 
pcaioo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
PromiseNasDude

I got a problem with chinese char from NFS, I have connected from a media player, it show OK with chinese char in SMB , but show all blank char in NFS mode. ? Is the NS4300 not support Chinese char in NFS mode ?
It show blank char in NFS model with chinese, It is OK with SMB but they are slow.

Thanks

PCAIOO
pcaioo is offline  
post #285 of 681 Old 03-06-2009, 08:59 PM
Member
 
mwaarna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Miami FL
Posts: 166
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Any one try to Install Squeezebox software onto a Promise Nas?

Also any one hear from PromiseNasDude about the replacements we were promised?
mwaarna is offline  
post #286 of 681 Old 03-07-2009, 12:34 PM
Newbie
 
changerx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
When downloading torrents, does it share the files you have downloaded with others like regular torrent client?

There's so little documentation on this.

Thanks
changerx is offline  
post #287 of 681 Old 03-09-2009, 01:55 PM
Member
 
PromiseNasDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 113
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I apologize for the delay in providing updates on the Exchange Program, Rev B shipping status, next Service Release, etc. The start to year was very hectic with Macworld, CES, changes in the economy and other unexpected events. In addition I have been battling a rash of sinus infections which are a result of my allergies. It has not kept me from the office but has affected my energy level and time spent on other activities. With me finally getting over the last infection, I am nearly 100 percent again and will be back on the boards permanently. As usual, email is the best way to reached me (billyh@promise.com) if I am absent.


Exchange Program

Emails will go out next Monday the 16th of March. The emails will be sent out over a period of several days so the Tech Support RMA persons are not swapped with handling the exchanges. RMA will be handled between the US and European Locations. Instructions will be included in Email.


Preparation

1. Backup all critical data. The recovery function is designed to recover array information from the drives in the event the array is placed into a new enclosure. This process works well but nothing is 100 percent and drives with poor integrity can complicate the process. Frankly, you should always have a backup of all data and never a single copy or central storage. In future firmware release we will provide function to backup to USB attached drives. The upcoming NS4600 will allow backup to USB and eSATA attached drives.

2. Make sure your Rev A model is on SR5 Firmware 1.5.3 or 1.5.7. No exceptions as we do not have time to support array roam with older versions on the new hardware.

3. Those using Seagate Desktop Class (Barracuda AS 7200.11 and 7200.12) and Barracuda ES.2 Drives, not sure if you are aware of the current issue with the drives becoming inaccessible on power cycle, but I advise NOT to power cycle the NAS until you have a good backup of your data. If more than one drive becomes inaccessible on reboot (power cycle) you will have an offline array resulting in data loss. Once you have backup of your data, I advise updating the drives to the Firmware Level Seagate has posted on their Website.

ES.2 Firmware is here (please read very carefully and pay attention to part numbers): http://seagate.custkb.com/seagate/cr...ilite=firmware

Barracuda 7200.11 is here (please read very carefully and pay attention to part numbers): http://seagate.custkb.com/seagate/cr...ilite=firmware

http://seagate.custkb.com/seagate/cr...irmware-Update

If you are using Seagate Hard Drives branded as Maxtor or Quantum Hard Drives, please check the Seagate Support site for firmware update.


Removal of Seagate and Samsung Desktop Drives from the AVL (All NAS Products)

As of a few weeks ago I removed the Seagate and Samsung Desktop Drives from the NAS AVL. Desktop Drives are not designed to be used in RAID Arrays. Desktop Class SATA Drives lack several key characteristics that are present in Enterprise SATA Drives. These drives do not support TLER (Time Limited Error Recovery), have lower MTBF (Mean Time Between Failure), have lower Duty Cycles and typically lack RV Sensor (Rotational Vibration). They are not ideal for running in RAID solutions and excessive bad sectors on multiple disks (especially without TLER) can result in severe errors to the filesystem including data loss as RAID 5 can only handle errors on a single disk at a time. I discussed the decision with both Seagate and Samsung; both agreed that removing is in the best interest of the customer (you). WD and Hitachi Desktop Drives will remain on the list. If you are using any of the removed hard drives we will still support you but moving forward all new or existing customers replacing drives should use Seagate and Samsung Enterprise Class Drives only.


NS4300N Rev B Availability in the Channel and Retail

NS4300N Rev B is now available in the channel and retail. The following Retailers below have the units in stock. Rev B has new blue retail packaging (see attached image).

Buy.com
Fry's
Micro Center
PC Mall
New Egg

BTW: Some Fry's stores may still have inventory of Rev A. As of late Jan Fry's started to receive Rev B. To sure to look for the new "blue" retail box if you must have Rev B. If the NAS is going into a closet, garage or other space where noise is no issue, then Rev A is fine.

In addition to resolving the Fan Control issue, we also changed the power supply fan. Rev B also features improved LED.

For those of you in Europe, APAC and the Lands Down Under, I will have news on retailers for you in a few days.

DLNA/UPNP Plug-in Scan issues

Two issues exist in the current build 01.01.0000.05 of the DLNA Plug-in:

1. Scan process halts when a bad media file is encountered. The scan engine was being way too tight and would abort on bad media. For reference, about 75% of all media has metadata errors and or encoding errors that should prevent the file from playback on any media player (software or hardware). Just about every MP will ignore most errors and playback the file. I have been able to reproduce this will several pieces of media from customers and others I know. Myself, I have never had this problem as I encode all of my own Divx and MKV/H.264 Content and all of my music comes from my own CD's or is purchased from Amazon MP3 store or Rhapsody MP3 Store. The majority of the bad content comes from the internet or friends (unknown source - therefore integrity of files is questionable). The scan engine has been updated to ignore this condition. A beta version (v01.01.0000.06) will be posted later this week. If you want the version sooner, please email me at billyh@promise.com.

If you continue to experience problems with the scan engine stopping (so far our testing has been good), please contact me so we can work on the issue together.

2. Scan Engine was not optimized for very large libraries. Response times became an issue with the limited power of the SoC used in the NAS and cause the engine to stop. This has pretty much been resolved in v01.01.0000.06. Again, will be posted later this week and I can be contact to receive earlier.

NOTE: Remove OLD VERSION FIRST, then install new version.

I will post more shortly on the next Service Release and details on the NS4600(performance is damn good) and our first DAS, the DS4300efu (quad interface - USB 2.0, eSATA and Firewire 400/800).
LL
PromiseNasDude is offline  
post #288 of 681 Old 03-09-2009, 02:40 PM
Senior Member
 
grubi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Berlin / Germany
Posts: 271
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
@PromiseNasDude

Can you give me some information about that exchange program.
I also own a 4300 Rev. A and am interrested in exchanging the unit.
Is this program also available to customers located in Europe (Germany)

Thanks.
grubi is offline  
post #289 of 681 Old 03-09-2009, 03:23 PM
Member
 
PromiseNasDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 113
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by grubi View Post

@PromiseNasDude

Can you give me some information about that exchange program.
I also own a 4300 Rev. A and am interrested in exchanging the unit.
Is this program also available to customers located in Europe (Germany)

Thanks.

Will discuss with you in PM. The list was closed last fall.

Thanks.
PromiseNasDude is offline  
post #290 of 681 Old 03-09-2009, 03:49 PM
Member
 
PromiseNasDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 113
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranaranosa View Post

BuckoNZ,

I am starting to use a Promise 4300N a few days ago and got the same problem that you report using Playstation 3 and smartsotr 4300N.

In your interaction with support did they mention any way to get a log or list with the offending files that stop plugin execution?

Could you share the Beta plugin v1.01.0000.06 tp test it?


Thanks for your great research.


ranaranosa

Send me an email to obtain..

Billyh@promise.com

Thanks.
PromiseNasDude is offline  
post #291 of 681 Old 03-09-2009, 03:57 PM
Member
 
PromiseNasDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 113
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranaranosa View Post



I'll try this new PlugIn and thank you for your efforts BuckoNZ.

In the other hand do you know any PlugIn or a way to implement some kind of SecureFTP, SSH FTP or protected ftp in the Smartstor,

Are there third parties PlugIn providers or SDK for this NAS?

Have you suffered from bad performance or do you have any tips to improved performance?

Thank you again.


Regards
ranaranosa

Sorry, SSH FTP and Secure FTP is not supported. As for SDK, we are finalizing one for developers. Please email me for more details. Billyh@promise.com

Performance is relative. Normal performance is 10 to 15 MB/s Read and Write (give or take a few MB/s). Performance is limited by the SoC used... What kind of performance are you experiencing?
PromiseNasDude is offline  
post #292 of 681 Old 03-09-2009, 03:59 PM
Member
 
PromiseNasDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 113
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckoNZ View Post

I have been given approval by the Promise R&D team, via the New Zealand distributor of Promise products, to make publically available the latest DLNA plugin. At the time of writing, this release is NOT yet available on the Promise website.


Please follow the following proceedure:

- Disable current DLNA plugin you are using.
- Uninstall current DLNA plugin.
- Restart Promise SmartStor NAS device.
- Install this new DLNA plugin (v1.01.0000.06).
- Enable the plugin.

Please allow at least 6 hours for the initial indexing process to complete. Enjoy.

(As I am payng for the hosting of this plugin, I will remove it should my tarffic cap exceed).

Regards,
BuckoNZ

Do me a favor and please remove from your site. I have clear this up internally (sorry, permission should not have been given). We do not want the file hosted as it is not final and only beta. Anyone who needs the file can send an email directly to me and the beta version will be posted later in the week.

Thanks.
PromiseNasDude is offline  
post #293 of 681 Old 03-09-2009, 05:03 PM
Senior Member
 
BuckoNZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Wellington, New Zealand
Posts: 285
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by PromiseNasDude View Post

Do me a favor and please remove from your site. I have clear this up internally (sorry, permission should not have been given). We do not want the file hosted as it is not final and only beta. Anyone who needs the file can send an email directly to me and the beta version will be posted later in the week.

Dude,

As soon as the new DLNA plugin is posted publically on the Promise website - for both the NS4300N and NS2300N - I will remove from my site.

I have no intention on hosting this for any longer than I have too.

Regards,
BuckoNZ
BuckoNZ is offline  
post #294 of 681 Old 03-09-2009, 07:48 PM
Member
 
PromiseNasDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 113
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckoNZ View Post

Dude,

As soon as the new DLNA plugin is posted publically on the Promise website - for both the NS4300N and NS2300N - I will remove from my site.

I have no intention on hosting this for any longer than I have too.

Regards,
BuckoNZ



Please remove.. No offense, but whether the release has been posted to the Promise Website is not your concern. You were incorrectly informed in regards to hosting your site. In this post there are instructions on contacting me directly for the Plug-In. It will be posted to Promise Website in a couple of days. Thanks for understanding...
PromiseNasDude is offline  
post #295 of 681 Old 03-10-2009, 01:42 PM
Newbie
 
wangel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have the Beta that BuckoNZ posted... and have tried it out.

It does not work for me. I installed it last night about 7pm. The Device does not show up on my ps3, xbox360, or even on my Vista machine.

I can install the MediaTomb plugin and it works great.

Anything I should do to troubleshoot this?

Thanks for your time.
wangel is offline  
post #296 of 681 Old 03-10-2009, 02:10 PM
Member
 
PromiseNasDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 113
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wangel View Post

I have the Beta that BuckoNZ posted... and have tried it out.

It does not work for me. I installed it last night about 7pm. The Device does not show up on my ps3, xbox360, or even on my Vista machine.

I can install the MediaTomb plugin and it works great.

Anything I should do to troubleshoot this?

Thanks for your time.

Hello, this is why I asked him to remove from this site. This version specifically address issues with the scan engine abort during scanning. Other fix is related to response times.

Your issue is completely different from anything we are resolving and is very unusual. With the unit not showing up on any Media Player, it appears the service is not running or has become corrupted.

First, did you remove the old version "first", then install the new version? Not doing so can cause you issues. Please do this first thing.

Next, does the DLNA service stay enabled? Does it respond to enable and disable in PASM or SmartNAVI?

To continue, email me at billyh@promise.com.

Thanks.
PromiseNasDude is offline  
post #297 of 681 Old 03-10-2009, 03:21 PM
Advanced Member
 
Gary Quiring's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Summerville, SC USA
Posts: 778
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What's the current recommendation on this device? My needs are SMB to use with Windows and XBMC (Linux distro). I don't want any security, just wide open guest access. I assume it can support 1TB SATA drives (total of 4).
Gary Quiring is offline  
post #298 of 681 Old 03-10-2009, 11:25 PM
Senior Member
 
grubi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Berlin / Germany
Posts: 271
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by PromiseNasDude View Post

Will discuss with you in PM. The list was closed last fall.

Thanks.

Sent you a mail to Billyh@promise.com.
Looking forwardto hearing from you.

Thanks
grubi.
grubi is offline  
post #299 of 681 Old 03-11-2009, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member
 
eq_shadimar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Plano, TX USA
Posts: 1,155
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Quiring View Post

What's the current recommendation on this device? My needs are SMB to use with Windows and XBMC (Linux distro). I don't want any security, just wide open guest access. I assume it can support 1TB SATA drives (total of 4).

Unless something has changed there is no way to have wide open access to this box using SMB. You always have to login as someone. This drives me crazy sometimes. I love having the extra security if needed but there are some devices that you just want to attach to the box without any security. I even added the box to my domain but this caused many other issues so I removed it which left some more little glitches. SmartNavi worked ok for a bit but then a Windows update made it so SmartNavi would not save any settings. Long story short I ended up making a DOS batch file in my startup using the NET USE commands to map drives to the NAS. This is quick and easy and works 100% of the time.

I use my NAS with XBMC (Windows) and you can connect several different ways. The UPnP plugin running on the NAS allows XBMC (Windows) to see all the information on the NAS in the media folders. You can also map SMB shares to the NAS from within XBMC with security (user name and password). You could also just have drives mapped in Windows to the NAS and XBMC will see them when launched. I am not using XBMC on Linux so I cannot speak to how well this will work in that configuration.

Yes it can support 4x1 TB drives.

Laters,
Jeff

...wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world...
My HT Construction Thread - Updated Pictures 3/15/07
My 2.35:1 Discussion Thread - Updated Pictures 3/15/07
XBL = eqshadimar
eq_shadimar is offline  
post #300 of 681 Old 03-11-2009, 11:20 AM
Member
 
PromiseNasDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 113
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by eq_shadimar View Post

Unless something has changed there is no way to have wide open access to this box using SMB. You always have to login as someone. This drives me crazy sometimes. I love having the extra security if needed but there are some devices that you just want to attach to the box without any security. I even added the box to my domain but this caused many other issues so I removed it which left some more little glitches. SmartNavi worked ok for a bit but then a Windows update made it so SmartNavi would not save any settings. Long story short I ended up making a DOS batch file in my startup using the NET USE commands to map drives to the NAS. This is quick and easy and works 100% of the time.

I use my NAS with XBMC (Windows) and you can connect several different ways. The UPnP plugin running on the NAS allows XBMC (Windows) to see all the information on the NAS in the media folders. You can also map SMB shares to the NAS from within XBMC with security (user name and password). You could also just have drives mapped in Windows to the NAS and XBMC will see them when launched. I am not using XBMC on Linux so I cannot speak to how well this will work in that configuration.

Yes it can support 4x1 TB drives.

Laters,
Jeff

Have no fear... I am discussing the possibility of removing permissions on shares. If we decide to pull the trigger (changes are very good), it will happen in next service release. I have had tons of requests for this feature and while security is key in some environments no security is "Ok". By the way, drives me crazy sometimes as well.

Stay Tuned!
PromiseNasDude is offline  
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off