Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 681 Old 03-26-2009, 06:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcvl View Post

How was the content transferred to the NAS? Under Windows or MAC OS X? If under MAC OS X, what user account was used? Was the content copied under the same user account (NAS)?

The content was transferred under Mac OS X. I just drag and drop the content in iTunes, and iTunes stores the content in PUBLIC/iTunes/etc. (as per iTunes preferences). The content was stored with owner 'marc' which is my Mac OS X login name, not 'admin' which would be the NAS login name.

Hi Marc, when mounting the volumes under your MAC OS X under name, what NAS username was used to mount the volume. You can only access NAS once you have authenicated using SMB or AFP. Did you use the admin account or a user created account? MAC OS X only allows the "creator" to access files and folders.

This is due to how MAC OS handles UMASK (10.5.3 and higher). A feature Service Release will have an option to set read/write for all users as a workaround. We have a knowledge base doc on this issue..

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 681 Old 03-26-2009, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckoNZ View Post

I can confirm that Promise have now made the new DLNA plugin - v1.01.0000.06 - available via their websites for the NS2300N and the NS4300N. Therefore, I will be removing the plugin from my site for download, within the next day or so.

You can download from the official Promise website here:

NS2300N:
http://www.promise.com/support/downl...ory=all&os=100

NS4300N:
http://www.promise.com/support/downl...ory=all&os=100

Plug-In is the same for both units. One code base..

Please remove ASAP (as I asked over a week ago) so that users are aware of the changes and also the errata. Mystery files are never good for anyone..

Thanks..
post #363 of 681 Old 03-26-2009, 08:05 PM

PromiseNasDude:

Maybe it's too soon to ask, but are you permitted to give out details of an ETA for the NS4600?

Thanks!
post #364 of 681 Old 03-26-2009, 10:58 PM

PromiseNasDude:

The NAS was mounted using my NAS username and password (admin). However, the files created by Itunes somehow ended up with owner 'marc' which is my OS X login name.

Is there any workaround to fix this permission issue? How can I change file permissions on the NAS box?

Marc
post #365 of 681 Old 03-27-2009, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwaarna View Post

FYI...

I received my email for Rev B Exchange Program on the 17th..

The subject of the email is "NS4300N Rev A to Rev B Exchange Program"..

Filled out my RMA form, for 2 units, advanced exchange...

Cant wait to have a silent Living room again.. :-)

I just received mine today. 2 Brand new in the box..

Time to Migrate the Raids...

Mine took longer, because some how I must have typed in the wrong Zip code for the shipping address...
post #366 of 681 Old 03-27-2009, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PromiseNasDude View Post

Plug-In is the same for both units. One code base..

Please remove ASAP (as I asked over a week ago) so that users are aware of the changes and also the errata. Mystery files are never good for anyone..

Thanks..

Well, it's down now.

Due to the extremely poor service that many Promise SmartStor users have experienced over this issue (and others) and based on the time that I personally spent on this - assisting Promise - there was no way I was going to take it down off my site until Promise had "made good". Now they have - the plugin is off my site.

You know, even though this plugin in now available, I still haven't received an official update from Promise in respect to the e-Support cases I have opened on this!?

I just hope I won't have to spend as much personal time on my next Promise issue, if there is one.

* Case Closed *
post #367 of 681 Old 03-30-2009, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PromiseNasDude View Post

Removal of Seagate and Samsung Desktop Drives from the AVL (All NAS Products)

As of a few weeks ago I removed the Seagate and Samsung Desktop Drives from the NAS AVL...

Hi Billy, hi guys!

I'm am using four SAMSUNG HD501LJ (500GB) in my NS4300... OK, I do understand that this might not be a perfect solution for RAID, but I still want to keep them for now, as I don't want to spend the money for new drives at the moment - and I never had any problems so far...

Whilst still waiting for the Rev.B exchange model (didn't hear from anyone so far) I found out that there is a new firmware (version 13) for the Samsung drives available.

- What is the best way to update the drives? Can that be done through the NS4300 itself? Do I have to take the drives out and do the update through my computer (WinXP)? Will I keep the data? Or should I not bother and keep the drives on their current firmware (three drives on 11 and one on 12)...?

Another question:

- You wrote that in future NS4300 SR versions it will be possible to backup directly to an attached USB drive... What file systems will be supported for that feature? My problem is that I have got a couple of big files (six to eight GB), hence don't want to use FAT32, but as Windows user I also don't want to go the EXT3 route... Any advice?

Thanks a lot,
ael

PS: Did anyone from Central Europe hear anything on the RevB exchange so far? I didn't...
post #368 of 681 Old 03-30-2009, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
This past weekend I upgraded the firmware on my NS4300 from 01.04.0000.11 to 01.05.0000.07 and noticed a change in behavior of the spin down option.

Even though I had this option set to 30 minutes before the lights never changed on the NAS after that time had expired, but now on the new firmware after 30 minutes the lights go out.

It would seem to me that the drive spin down was not actually taking place before, and now it is?

I also noticed when I went to access or transfer a file after spin down, the drives (of course) had to sequence back up to a ready state.

So I have a couple of questions assuming it is working properly now, is there a way (other then the lights) to determine the drive status, also is there a way to spin them up in preparation for use or is this an automated process that begins when you try to access the data?

thanks!

Al
post #369 of 681 Old 03-31-2009, 10:15 PM

OLD Firmware was SD17

New patched Firmware SD1B

I downloaded the Following Firmware from Seagate for my 1.5TB Drives:
http://seagate.custkb.com/seagate/cr...ilite=firmware

Followed these instructions
http://support.seagate.com/firmware/...procedure.html

It said it updated the drive just fine.

I rebooted, checked that the new correct firmware exists on the drive and it does...

I took this drive and put it back into the NAS, the Drive comes up as "Free Disk", instead of apart of the array...

How do i get the NAS to re-detect the drive as being part of the regular array...

I still need to update my other 2 drives to the newest Firmware....

Attached Screen shots of the array management from the WEB UI.

Billy I sent you an email with this as well..

trying not to freak out.. Atleast I can still access my data(nothing critical on there right now..., but would prefer to keep it intact if possible..)

Also the NAS Starts beeping every 15 seconds or so to notify the user that something has gone wrong...

Also on a Side note.. I did update my NAS's to Revision B's.. And they are much quieter than Revision A's...

Before the REV A used to be louder than my old Launch XBOX... now its quieter than my xbox ELITE... I can hear the fan if i listen for it specifically..

Before I used to walk into the living room and immediately tell that the NAS's were on.. Now I have to listen for the sound...
LL
LL
post #370 of 681 Old 04-01-2009, 12:23 PM

Speaking with a coworker..

He suggested that I can rebuild the RAID to add the "Free Roaming Disk".

Then update the firmware on the next drive and repeat the process.

But this would require to rebuild the array 3x, once per drive...

Is it faster to rebuild the array if there is less data on the drive? I have about 500gb or so of **** that I can immediately destroy if it would speed up the proces...

Any one have experience with this type of situation?

Or any suggestions?
post #371 of 681 Old 04-02-2009, 08:33 AM

Yesterday I ended up, backing up majority of the data onto my main home PC.

Updated the Firmware on all drives.

Since I only had 3 1.5tb drives, I ended up ordering the final fourth 1.5tb Drive from Newegg.. Should be here on Monday/Tuesday and I will then proceed to create the new Raid Array, and start the copy over process..

Update:
Canceled Newegg order(119 for 1.5tb 3year oem warranty)

Ordered from Frys:
https://shop3.frys.com/product/5803213
Retail Seagate Drive with 5 year warranty for 117 shipped(no tax to florida)
post #372 of 681 Old 04-03-2009, 07:13 AM

I've been using the Promise ns4300n for a while now and I'm very interested to see the new product which is almost identical to the QNAP TS-409 for the same price point. The big difference I see between the two is that the QNAP is totally open. You have root ssh access when you purchase it and can install any plugins (as long as they are in qpkg format) you like. In addition it has Apache, MySQL, and iSCSI. The argument for protecting users from themselves is not one that is lost on me (being a Network Engineer with much previous experience in Desktop and Server support) however, if competitors are doing it, why wouldn't Promise? The fact is that 99% of people in America don't know what a NAS is and of the 1% of people that do know, only .001% of those want one for their home (these figures are purely speculative). Of those .001% there are probably only 10% who want root access. Why not just produce two images, one with the root password a secret and publish root for the other. If someone wants to dink with their NAS, let them, if they blow it up, help them fix it, and if it can't be fixed, call that lesson learned and RMA them another (with appropriate service contract). Now that I've gotten my feet wet (soaked to my knees) I'm convinced that a NAS which acts more like a server (more RAM and services to enable if I wish) is what I really need. Sure I could build a server of my own for the same price without drives and a lot more horsepower but, I like the small footprint and power consumption of the NAS. This is my first post to this forum and I'm interested in hearing (CONSTRUCTIVE) feedback on it.
post #373 of 681 Old 04-03-2009, 12:48 PM

Quote:

OLD Firmware was SD17

New patched Firmware SD1B

I downloaded the Following Firmware from Seagate for my 1.5TB Drives:
http://seagate.custkb.com/seagate/cr...ilite=firmware

Followed these instructions
http://support.seagate.com/firmware/...procedure.html

It said it updated the drive just fine.

I rebooted, checked that the new correct firmware exists on the drive and it does...

I took this drive and put it back into the NAS, the Drive comes up as "Free Disk", instead of apart of the array...

How do i get the NAS to re-detect the drive as being part of the regular array...

I still need to update my other 2 drives to the newest Firmware....

Attached Screen shots of the array management from the WEB UI.

Billy I sent you an email with this as well..

trying not to freak out.. Atleast I can still access my data(nothing critical on there right now..., but would prefer to keep it intact if possible..)

Also the NAS Starts beeping every 15 seconds or so to notify the user that something has gone wrong...

Also on a Side note.. I did update my NAS's to Revision B's.. And they are much quieter than Revision A's...

Before the REV A used to be louder than my old Launch XBOX... now its quieter than my xbox ELITE... I can hear the fan if i listen for it specifically..

Before I used to walk into the living room and immediately tell that the NAS's were on.. Now I have to listen for the sound...

I answered your email a few days therefore I am not ignoring this post.

To recap:

Unfortunately Drive Firmware updates can be "disruptive" which is why the Drive Vendor also suggests Backup (and I did as well). Typically updating code on the drives does not distrub the RAID Metadata on the disk but apparently the Metadata was altered or became corrupt. Backup before any Drive Update is BEST (regardless of intended use).

Glad to hear you backed up and plan to rebuild.

Thanks.
post #374 of 681 Old 04-03-2009, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Sherwood View Post

This past weekend I upgraded the firmware on my NS4300 from 01.04.0000.11 to 01.05.0000.07 and noticed a change in behavior of the spin down option.

Even though I had this option set to 30 minutes before the lights never changed on the NAS after that time had expired, but now on the new firmware after 30 minutes the lights go out.

It would seem to me that the drive spin down was not actually taking place before, and now it is?

I also noticed when I went to access or transfer a file after spin down, the drives (of course) had to sequence back up to a ready state.

So I have a couple of questions assuming it is working properly now, is there a way (other then the lights) to determine the drive status, also is there a way to spin them up in preparation for use or is this an automated process that begins when you try to access the data?

thanks!

Hi Al, in SR5 we changed the LED behavior to "power off" LED when drives are spun-down. This is normal.

As for resume from Hard Drive Spin-down, this process is automated and occurs when requests are made to access data on the NAS. There is no manual process to Spin-up the drives "before hand".

In short, your system is functioning fine (within parameters).

Thanks.
post #375 of 681 Old 04-03-2009, 12:53 PM

Quote:

Yesterday I ended up, backing up majority of the data onto my main home PC.

Updated the Firmware on all drives.

Since I only had 3 1.5tb drives, I ended up ordering the final fourth 1.5tb Drive from Newegg.. Should be here on Monday/Tuesday and I will then proceed to create the new Raid Array, and start the copy over process..

Update:
Canceled Newegg order(119 for 1.5tb 3year oem warranty)

Ordered from Frys:
https://shop3.frys.com/product/5803213
Retail Seagate Drive with 5 year warranty for 117 shipped(no tax to florida)

Good deal.. Be sure to update drive "first".

L8
post #376 of 681 Old 04-04-2009, 02:23 AM

Hi everybody and a special thank to PromiseNasDude, I received email for exchange my Rev a to Rev b NS4300N to Italy. Thanks !!

I would only ask you 3 things :

- Now, what are the most important differences between the new REV.B NS4300N and the new NS4600N ?

- What type of product is the DS4300? What change between this and a Nas like the new NS4600N ?

- Please, can you tell me what drives (1TB and 1.5TB) do you suggest for Promise NAS? To have best safe and performance ?

Thanks a lot friend

Bye from Italy
Carlo
post #377 of 681 Old 04-04-2009, 06:13 AM

Two questions about NS4300:

1.) I took a look at the HCL and did not find a single 1.5 TB disk. Are there any of these on the horizon to be full supported by the NAS (I would prefer enterprise level drives for obvious reasons).

2.) If you want to upgrade your existing drives by drives with higher capacity is there any online migration supported by the NAS similar to that of Netgears XRAID (sorry for mention other vendors here).

Thanks for enlighten me.

Regards.
post #378 of 681 Old 04-05-2009, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Here are some pictures and more information on the ns4600:

http://www.engadget.com/2009/04/03/p...etup-ds4300-m/

Laters,
Jeff

...wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world...
My HT Construction Thread - Updated Pictures 3/15/07
My 2.35:1 Discussion Thread - Updated Pictures 3/15/07
XBL = eqshadimar
post #379 of 681 Old 04-08-2009, 07:32 AM

I have my revision B's up and running now...

I am copying data from one nas to the other...

It appears that the NAS drops the network connection..

I put about 500gb to copy last night, and When I woke up this morning teracopy has an error that says(network path not found)....

Teracopy:
http://www.codesector.com/teracopy.php
Free Download for 2K/XP/Vista:
http://www.codesector.com/files/teracopy2b4.exe
Quote:
# Copy files faster. TeraCopy uses dynamically adjusted buffers to reduce seek times. Asynchronous copy speeds up file transfer between two physical hard drives.
# Pause and resume file transfers. Pause copy process at any time to free up system resources and continue with a single click.
# Error recovery. In case of copy error, TeraCopy will try several times and in the worse case just skips the file, not terminating the entire transfer.
# Interactive file list. TeraCopy shows failed file transfers and lets you fix the problem and recopy only problem files.
# Shell integration. TeraCopy can completely replace Explorer copy and move functions, allowing you work with files as usual.

Great program to copy files(replaces windows file transfer **** program).
post #380 of 681 Old 04-08-2009, 01:46 PM

Hey, thanks for the link to Teracopy. Never heard of it before. Gonna give it a go.
post #381 of 681 Old 04-08-2009, 06:34 PM

PromiseNasDude:

I'm still waiting for a solution or a workaround for the permission problem. I understand that this forum may not be the official technical support forum for Promise, but I'd appreciate a pointer (even if it's a customer support number at Promise) to help solve this problem.

Thanks,
Marc
post #382 of 681 Old 04-08-2009, 09:47 PM

I am new to this forum and I am reading about upgrading the segate 1.5 drives firmware. Is this absolutely necessary? I have four of them in a raid 5 configuration and I've used about 1.3tb of space so far. I am using the 4300 revA as a video server to a couple popcorn hours and have not had any problems that I have notied so far. What is the firmware upgrade for? the 4300 is upgraded to 01.05.0000.07. Any advice would be great. Thanks in advance
post #383 of 681 Old 04-08-2009, 10:13 PM

Also, how do I swap my noisy unit for the quieter revb unit?
post #384 of 681 Old 04-09-2009, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurkert View Post

I am new to this forum and I am reading about upgrading the segate 1.5 drives firmware. Is this absolutely necessary? I have four of them in a raid 5 configuration and I've used about 1.3tb of space so far. I am using the 4300 revA as a video server to a couple popcorn hours and have not had any problems that I have notied so far. What is the firmware upgrade for? the 4300 is upgraded to 01.05.0000.07. Any advice would be great. Thanks in advance

Here is a link to a thread discussing problems directly with the 1.5TB drives.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1080005

Also Be warned, if you upgrade the firmware on the drives, the NAS will not find the drives.... ( I backed up my data some where else and re-formatted the NAS).

First things first...

What Firmware do you currently have on the Drives?
(you can see the what firmware the drive has from within the NAS web UI).
If you have Firmware starting in CC(they are not affected).

I had Firmware SD17 which was one of the firmwares that was affacted.
The new Firmware which I upgraded to was SD1B.
post #385 of 681 Old 04-09-2009, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurkert View Post

also, how do i swap my noisy unit for the quieter revb unit?

fyi:

Quote:
Originally Posted by promisenasdude View Post

update on ns4300n rev b exchange, september 17th, 2008 - we will be ending "sign-ups" for the exchange program in one week on september 24th (midnight). We would love to run the offer for ever but managing cost and inventory will eventually become an issue. Please send pm or contact support @ support.promise.com by midnight of the 24th.

post #386 of 681 Old 04-15-2009, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by promisenasdude (3 Mar 09, 12:57 pm) View Post

sorry, ssh ftp and secure ftp is not supported. As for sdk, we are finalizing one for developers. Please email me for more details. billyh@promise.com

Is there any word on the SDK yet? I have a development environment ready to cross-compile for the ppc MPC 8343architecture. All I really need are the system library header files for the exact Linux build 2.6.11SR3_1_2 and ancilliary libraries. Tracking them down can be a pain. I can build the application plug-in package with no problem (I would probably just add it to a makefile).
post #387 of 681 Old 04-16-2009, 06:26 AM

Hello,
My first post here, found this thread through google when looking for a way to get ssh access to my NS4300N. With the help of this thread I found the solution to getting telnet access but I wasn't really satisfied with that, so I set up a build environment for the MPC8343 and built a static version of sshd, then made it into a plugin to run it on startup, you can get it here if you want it:

http://herecomethelizards.co.uk/ssh_on_ns4300n/

I also compiled a static low-feature version (compared to normal, it's still way better than the vi present by default) of vim that runs on the NS4300N if anyone wants that it's at http://herecomethelizards.co.uk/vim.
post #388 of 681 Old 04-17-2009, 02:23 PM

RiskyShift you are my hero! The package works wonderfully. SCP isn't there, but ssh is good enough for file management.

Thanks again, I owe you a beer.
post #389 of 681 Old 04-17-2009, 04:04 PM

Hi keithah,

Glad it's useful to someone else. I didn't bother to include scp or sftp since I transfer files through NFS shares, but since it's quite trivial to add support for them (2 lines in the script to change), I created another plugin with all the OpenSSH binaries (it's 7MB rather than 1MB now though). It's now also up at http://herecomethelizards.co.uk/ssh_on_ns4300n/.
post #390 of 681 Old 04-20-2009, 02:48 PM

Anyone here from Europe who registered for the NS4300 exchange program?
I received an e-mail from Promise how to proceed and did so more than two weeks ago. I received an automated e-mail acknowledgement on day later but nothing more. Any attempt to ask for the status of my RMA was not answered.

Anybody out there who succeeded?

Regards,

grubi.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page