Promise SMARTSTOR NS4300N - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 683 Old 08-05-2009, 05:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Wow, this is exciting!

Vendor rep here who is actively helping us out? Not enough of this here.

I am now going to seriously look at Promise, as I have just recently decided I needed something like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 683 Old 08-16-2009, 09:13 AM

Liked: 10
I purchased an ns4300n about 18 months ago and set it up with 4 x 750gb seagate drives but haven't left it running because it was too noisy.

Now I am trying to re-set it up but I can't find it on the network.

My router doesn't have it on the active devices list and the smartnavi software doesn't show it either.

It is powered on and the network light is flashing.

Does anyone know how I can locate it?

post #453 of 683 Old 08-18-2009, 08:36 PM

I just dropped in a 80 x 80 x 15 fan and it's SO much quieter...

I went with a Rexflo 4 pin fan that draws .16 amps max..

took and soldered the old fan connector on so it could plug right in...

and having a thicker 25mm fan moving slower than the thinner 15mm fan should move similiar air.. just a bunch quieter..

I'm happy..

now to monitor the temps

Promise NAS fan replacement complete

As God as my witness, I thought Turkeys could fly....Arthur Carlson
post #454 of 683 Old 08-19-2009, 11:15 PM

Hey promisedude is that FTP still up? I have loads of issues with the current dlna plugin(indexing stops, sporadic detection via ps3) and I am dying to try this redesigned version.
post #455 of 683 Old 08-20-2009, 03:22 PM

Hey Billy, having issues with Beta DLNA and want to know if we should report problems here? Have sent a few emails. THanks
post #456 of 683 Old 08-24-2009, 01:28 AM

Hi PromiseNASDude

We have got the Promise NS4300N with the Latest Firmware i.e. 01.05.000.08 Firmware

We get the "File System Contains Errors, Please Check" by clicking on
Any menu under User and Groups (User Management / Group Management / Quota)
Any Menu under File And Print
Even under Management if we select System Upgrade it gives the "File System Contains Errors, Please Check" error.

We had Installed 4 X ST31000340AS Hard Disks installed on Raid 5 Initially.

In Beginning of Aug HDD4 Failed and was giving errors in the Log.
We replaced it with a ST31000528AS and the Raid was Rebuilt Successfully.

All the LEDs are green.
The Raid Volume is Online.
The volume system in File System Management is there.
I have done a Check File System for the Volumes.

The Only Error that the Event Log gives are Errors On Drive 4 from 11th of August.
At that time the HDD4 Was replaced and the Raid was successfully rebuilt. It worked for a week after that and then this error.
No Errors are reported in the log after that.

We have backed up all the data. We can rebuid the Raid and Volumes again.
We are getting the replacement ST31000340AS HDD from Seagate today. Do you thing we should install this and rebuild the raid.

One thing that I just can't understand is why does even the Management - System Upgrade Option give the "File System Contains Errors, Please Check" error.

Styler
post #457 of 683 Old 08-24-2009, 04:39 AM

Hi,

Just an Update to my previous post.
I deleted the Raid 5 Array.
I even Removed all the hard Disks
Even then when I go to Management - System Upgrade Option give the "File System Contains Errors, Please Check" error.
It seems the Firmware in the Flash Drive has got corrupted.
Does anybody have any Ideas on what we could do now.
Is there a way to Restore the NS4300N to Factory Defaults ?

Styler
post #458 of 683 Old 09-02-2009, 05:43 AM

Good day sir,

i was wondering the following :

i've bought an Promise NS4600 with the ability for plugins.
Can you tell me if the is anyone that has made a plugin for downloading NZB files ?
Is this even possible ? I'm guessing it is, because the OS of the NS4600 seems/is linux.

I hope you can stear me in some direction for this.

kind regards,

Richard
post #459 of 683 Old 09-24-2009, 09:03 PM

Hello Icy1211,

Have you been able to resolve the BSL problem? It seems that I'm getting the same error on my disk 1 also.

Please let me know if you have any information.

Thanks,
post #460 of 683 Old 09-30-2009, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbbenton View Post

On the plus side, I exploited the password bug to telnet in as root so I could create some soft links so that the fixed dlna content directories included other paths.

I did the same thing and got root/shell access. That was quite while ago and Promise had significant firmware upgrade. Now before I attempt to upgrade the firmware, I would like to know if the firmware upgrade will reset the root password (to a factory or unknown one). I googled and could not find a clue. Have you done firmware upgrade since gain root access?

Thanks,
Jerry
post #461 of 683 Old 10-06-2009, 05:40 AM

I recently purchased a Promise NS4600 and love it. But, I have a big problem. I have been using the NS4600 as a backup system for Linux drives. I typically mount the NS4600 to the machine and then perform a "cp" on the drive I wish to back up. The problem I ran into was that I was trying to remove a backup on the NS4600 and it complained about "//" in the file name. This led me to believe the drive is not storing the files on a ext3 file system as my original Linux files are. Is this a problem?

Also, does anyone have any suggestions of better ways to backup onto the NS4600. I believe the "cp" command may not be the best, but I like that I can find a specific file or directory to restore easily. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. However, my original problem described above is troubling - perhaps, I am doing something incorrectly. Thanks!!
post #462 of 683 Old 10-07-2009, 03:40 AM

@jstine: you could use rsync instead of cp. I believe it's ext2 (I don't have my NAS here to verify it)
post #463 of 683 Old 10-15-2009, 09:19 AM

Hey All,

Seems like theres a bunch of people with 4300s/4600s on here and I had a couple quick questions... I just bought a 4600 and I was wondering if I have to do anything special to get my X360 to connect to the DLNA server that's running on the 4600??? Just going into my pictures/movies/music from the 360s dashboard, I didn't see the NAS there.. however I'm not sure if I have to "register" it with the 360, like a windows media center computer...

I saw some posts about a firmware upgrade possibly being required, but I'm leery to do that again - I already tried it once and version 2.00.00000.17 bricked my 4600.. It went in, I got an "Upgrade Successful" message and then the NAS rebooted and never came back up.. just got the red wrench.. Couldn't turn it on, boot it into safe mode.. nothing.. Anyway promise ended up taking it back and sending me a new one.. so I don't want to try the upgrade again and brick it once again.. Guess that's my second question, anyone had success upgrading the firmware on their NS4600??

thanks,
Eric
post #464 of 683 Old 10-16-2009, 08:49 AM

Hey there,

I just bought a NS4300N. I have it set up with (4) 1.5TB drives in a RAID 5 array. I am using the most current firmware and smart navi. I originally set it up on a D-Link Gaming Router DGL4500. ATM I have it hooked up to a D-Link Gigabit Switch DGS-2205.

My problem is that my switch and PASM both report that the NAS is running in 100kbps mode. I have nothing else hooked up to the switch but a desktop and the NAS. I have rebooted, hard shutdown, reset and otherwise tried everything I know to get the NAS to reconnect at 1000 but it will not.

In addition within PASM I am unable to to set Jumbo Frames as it is set to 1500 bytes and greyed out. It shows "Full Duplex" and "100kbps" I have no other options.

I am at a loss as to what to do. I have not read any posts that deal with this issue. Can anyone please shed some light on my problem???

Thank you
Stefan
post #465 of 683 Old 10-18-2009, 04:20 AM

Hi everybody.

It's passed a lot of time from new beta firmware and dlna plugin, and I still have a great problem with my NS4300N nas.

Also if I add or cancel files on VIDEO folder (the video folder used by DLNA plugin) both PS3 and my PCH A-110 continue to see old files.
They don't see any new update I make in that folder.

I also try to turn off the nas, nothing.

I hoped with beta firmware they solved this, instead nothing!!

What can I do?
post #466 of 683 Old 10-18-2009, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefmuzic View Post

Hey there,

I just bought a NS4300N. I have it set up with (4) 1.5TB drives in a RAID 5 array. I am using the most current firmware and smart navi. I originally set it up on a D-Link Gaming Router DGL4500. ATM I have it hooked up to a D-Link Gigabit Switch DGS-2205.

My problem is that my switch and PASM both report that the NAS is running in 100kbps mode. I have nothing else hooked up to the switch but a desktop and the NAS. I have rebooted, hard shutdown, reset and otherwise tried everything I know to get the NAS to reconnect at 1000 but it will not.

In addition within PASM I am unable to to set Jumbo Frames as it is set to 1500 bytes and greyed out. It shows "Full Duplex" and "100kbps" I have no other options.

I am at a loss as to what to do. I have not read any posts that deal with this issue. Can anyone please shed some light on my problem???

Thank you
Stefan

Be sure that the ethernet cable that you are using to connect the NS4300N to your GSwitch is category 5e or 6 (not cat5).
post #467 of 683 Old 10-28-2009, 01:13 AM

I have already quite some time a NS4300N. But to be honest I never got everything running like I want (especially the Media Server). Now I'm willing to take a new approach: I tried already the new images, the beta images and whatever.... the latest images(not the beta), allowed me to have my Media Server showing Music, but now movies or pictures.. :-(

With the beta I don't see even the media server from my PS3.

Now my plan is to reset the NAS and set up everything from scratch. The only problem is that I have already quite some data on it and I don't want to loose it (do I have to buy a second NAS to backup my old NAS?).

I have data on multiple partitions (music, pictures, videos, public). Is there an easy possibility to move the data from on to the other partition (not over network)?

I'm quite experienced with Linux and I know that there is telnet access on port 2038, but I don't have the root password, should I just hack the update image and overwrite it, or bruteforce it? Any ideas?
post #468 of 683 Old 11-04-2009, 02:22 AM

Hi at All,

This is the only thread serious on the network for the Promise SmartStor..

I have a NS2300N, I update to the new firmware beta Version 1.05.0000.10 with new DLNA Plugin 01.01.0000.09, but DLNA not work good.. with my player (show empety folder and other problem..)

I try to revert to original firmware 1.05.0000.9

But when try to "upgrade" a popup inform me that the firmware 1.05.0000.9 is previous to that installed (1.05.0000.10 BETA)

How can I do to return to official firmware 1.05.0000.9 please help me

Many Thanks to PromiseNasDude for the all info..

Thanks Alan
post #469 of 683 Old 11-06-2009, 01:49 AM

--------------------------------------------------------
--DOWNGRADE THE SMARTSTOR FIRMWARE IT POSSIBLE--
--------------------------------------------------------

Ladies and gentleman I have good news

After a while you study smartstor on how to downgrade the firmware they are able to do so by finding a hole on firmware..

ok dowgrade to all version it's possibile

Requirements plugin installed:

1 - bt_plugin_0000_010003.ppg
2 - telnet_plugin_0000_000000_A2_mod.ppg (this plugin is installed correctly, but when it launches an error, ITS ALL OK)

HowTo:

1. install 2 plugin and start it
2. reboot nas
3. open telnet on port 2380 and login to admin and youradminpass
4. navigate to http://smartstor:4080/ to access the MLDonkey web interface. It should say “Welcome to MLDonkey 2.9.1″ in the bottom pane, and have a toolbar pane at the top of the screen, in the top toolbar pane, enter the following commands
! /bin/chmod 777 etc/config/rev
and close browser.
5. in the telnet mask write
vi /etc/config/rev

a vi editor open the file ..
(Exsample the beta)

---------------------------

edit with

i (for ins)
R (for rewrite)
:wq (for write and quit)

ok now if check in browser nas config on last tab the version is chenged to

flash the firmware 01.05.000.09 on installed 01.05.000.10

This because upgrade.php under /WWW in one row of this load upgrade.pl, the script check the version of firmware and compare the new firmware and the installed firmware on the file "rev" if rev is previous to the new the flash go ok, but is new, upgrade.pl stop flash with error message

Think that I contacted the promise 4 times and say that it was impossible to downgrade

Thanks to the plugin torrent running commands as root

Finally sorry for my English but I'm Italian

Alan
post #470 of 683 Old 11-11-2009, 12:55 AM

Dear all,
Tha Promise's technical support is a scandal.

is incredible that they do not provide root access on demand to final user.

This is that all i wrote to Technical support:
____________________________________________________________ _________________________

Request:- 5th November 2009 at 11:33
Dear Support,
I need root access to manage some file usign Tenet or SSH.
Using username admin with password admin ad username engmode and password hawk201 i get error "access deny" when i try to modify the file in the root directory.
Please send me me the password for root account.
Regards

Response By:- JorisPiepers 6th November 2009 at 2:19
Dear Mr. Giovanni,
Sorry we do not have the root username and password. This info will not be shared to support people or end- users. Why do you need telnet access?
Kind regards,
Promise Technology EMEA

Request:- 6th November 2009 at 2:31
Dear Support, i need complete access to manage my NAS NS 4300N.
I need Root account to manage the file in the root directory and in the Plugin directory (VOLUME1/PLNG/)
Please, send me this information, I bought this nas and I want the entire control to manage it. This isn't a strange request, don't you think?

Response By:- JorisPiepers 6th November 2009 at 3:24
We can not give this. We do not have the pasword and I cannot ask anybody to give me such a password.

Request:- 6th November 2009 at 3:31
This isn't acceptable response.
I don't believe that you haven't the password for root account.
I want and account with full administration privilege.
There is a way to create an account with root privilege

Request:- 9th November 2009 at 1:45
This isn't acceptable response.
I don't believe that you haven't the password for root account.
I want and account with full administration privilege.
There is a way to create an account with root privilege.

Response By:- JorisPiepers 9th November 2009 at 2:54
there is no such user as root. admin is all there is.

Request:- 9th November 2009 at 4:20
please, password for root account.
Regards

Request:- 9th November 2009 at 6:48
With admin account i can't modify the file under root directory and under Plugin directory.
Please, can tell me how i can modify these files under root and under plugin directory...
Can i use the "sudo" command ?

Request:- 9th November 2009 at 9:32
With admin account i can't modify the file under root directory and under Plugin directory.
please, can tell me how i can modify these files under root and under plugin directory...
Can i use the "sudo" command ?

Request:- 10th November 2009 at 8:8
I need root access or full administrator access to manage some file usign Tenet or SSH.
Using username admin with password admin ad username engmode and password hawk201 i get error "access deny" when i try to modify the file in the root directory.
Please send me me the password for root account.

____________________________________________________________ ____________________________

from 9th Novembe nobody answered my question.
I think this Support isn't serious and give absurd answers..

knowing what happened, I would buy another one NAN, Western Digital and Intel.

Bye
Giovanni
post #471 of 683 Old 11-11-2009, 03:01 AM

rgianni,

I know it might not be what you're looking for... But the SSH plugin from 16paws (Google: 16paws ssh; since I can't post the full link) adds the admin account to the sudoers file.

This way, you don't need the root password (just use "sudo -s")

-- Gert
post #472 of 683 Old 11-11-2009, 03:18 AM

gvangool, thank you very much for your reply...

I'm happy for this solution , in this way i can use sudo command

You are spettacular
post #473 of 683 Old 11-11-2009, 08:08 AM
Advanced Member

It's amazing that you 'demand' that they give you the root password. It's a consumer device, there's absolutely no reason whatsoever they should give it to you or that you should expect [nay, demand!] them to give it to you. So tell me, why do you think Western Digital or Intel would give you the root password for their NAS hardware?
post #474 of 683 Old 11-11-2009, 10:06 AM

why not? the consumer bought the device and wholly owns it. it is absurd that Promise denies the existence of the root account and password.

anybody knows if upgrading firmware will reset the hacked root password? or if the root password hack works on the newer firmware?
post #475 of 683 Old 11-11-2009, 10:31 AM
Advanced Member

Do you demand the root password of your TV, or DVD player as well?
There has never been any claim by Promise [whatsoever!!!] that this is some generic Linux server for people to use. I think its absurd to *demand* the root access to it and be incensed that the support people would not bend over to give it to you;
post #476 of 683 Old 11-11-2009, 03:45 PM

it is interesting to me why you are defending Promise like defending your own life...

it is a file server, for peter's sake. do not bring the bullsh*t of TV or DVD player...
post #477 of 683 Old 11-11-2009, 04:10 PM
Advanced Member

If you want the root password to a file server, set up your own server. There's no reason whatsoever to expect the internal workings of a box purchased off the shelf from a store to be exposed to you on demand. It's exactly the same as a tv or dvd player.
post #478 of 683 Old 11-13-2009, 05:40 AM

Dear Patrick Bennett,
DVD Player or TV is a limited device, Play DVD or Audio CD with DVD player ,watch TV-channel with TV and so on...

The NAS SMARTSTOR NS4300 is similar to a mini pc, with it you can archive data, install Plugin like bittorent and mediaserver...
For this reason i think is correct give the root access to the owner of this appliance...

The reason i ask the root access is that Media server on smartstore don't work well, i can't see movie with my PS3 and i can't use a DLNA with my TV (samsung series 7).
I bought NS4300 to use it with my TV and my PS3... and in this way a can't do this. "Promise" has made misleading advertising to his device

With root access a can do all, and in this way i can modify the software installed on this NAS...

I installed the latest Firmware release NS4300N Release Firmware SR5.2 v01.05.0000.08 and with SUDO - s command ( told by gvangool, G16paws ssh) i was able to reset the root password...

I'm so happy!!!!

Sorry Patrick Bennett, I do not understand why you are so angry.
post #479 of 683 Old 11-19-2009, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Has anyone heard from Promise or Billy/PromiseNASDude lately? It seems that this product line is abandoned since it has been quite some time since there have been any firmware updates.

Laters,
Jeff

...wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world...
My HT Construction Thread - Updated Pictures 3/15/07
My 2.35:1 Discussion Thread - Updated Pictures 3/15/07
XBL = eqshadimar
post #480 of 683 Old 11-19-2009, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by eq_shadimar View Post

Has anyone heard from Promise or Billy/PromiseNASDude lately? It seems that this product line is abandoned since it has been quite some time since there have been any firmware updates.

Laters,
Jeff

I hope this is not the case, I was hoping one day to use the recently available 2TB drives in my NS4300N...

Al
Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page