post #541 of 683 Old 04-11-2010, 10:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mopper1023 View Post

PromiseNasDude,

Is there a known problem with the PS3 dropping the promise ns2300 and requires stopping/restarting the DLNA server? Each time I start up my PS3, it does not find the NAS. I have to sign into the web browser, stop the DLNA server and start it. Then the NAS will show up.

I'm using:

Firmware version: 01.05.0000.12
DLNA Server version: 01.01.0000.07

Thanks!

On the version you are using YES.. This is the old DLNA stack.. Our new DLNA (completely new code) version 01.02.0000.01 is available here as beta:

ftp://209.172.106.110
username: dlnabeta
password: dlnabeta

Please remove the old before installing the new one. See the complete release notes on the FTP.. Enjoy..

NOTE: Please wait one hour as I am uploading a newer version 01.02.0000.01_A5 to the FTP shortly.. This will resolve a few issues including the thumbs issues mentioned in this thread..

Thanks..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 683 Old 04-12-2010, 05:25 AM

DLNA Plugin Version 01.02.0000.01_A5 is now available for NS4300/NS2300. Resolves the inability to delete contents of .thumbs folder.

Remember, the .thumbs folder is created by Windows. The inability to delete contents of .thumbs folder is the issue resolved. Other small DLNA fixes are included. Final Release to come in a few weeks (DVT is in progress).

username/password: dlnabeta/dlnabeta

Remove old Plugin, then install latest! Final Release is a few weeks away.

Also, check out our new website @ www.promise.com. New SmartStor Forum will go LIVE in a few weeks.

Stay tuned..
post #543 of 683 Old 04-12-2010, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PromiseNasDude View Post

DLNA Plugin Version 01.02.0000.01_A5 is now available for NS4300/NS2300. Resolves the inability to delete contents of .thumbs folder.

This new firmware version resolved the problem I was having with the PS3. It's vastly improved from the previous version. I'm loving my Promise NAS even more now!
post #544 of 683 Old 04-13-2010, 01:08 PM

hi pnd,

dlna plugin doesn't work here.
music (mp3) is fine, ut mkv still don't work. i see the files (via "browse folders"), but not as a streamable format for my nmt.

i use a ns2300 with latest firmware (from you) no other plugins, and a hdx-1000 and a popcorn hour a-110 with latest firmwares installed. connected via power-lan adapter by devlo (av 200).

older plugin is working (.08) fine, i see the mkv files and i can stream them perfectly.

what am i doing wrong?

thx in advance
andi
post #545 of 683 Old 04-13-2010, 02:34 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Couple questions about the NS2300N and NS4300N. Sorry if they've been asked before, this thread is big and I did search first.

1. Do they support 2TB drives?
2. Do they offer support for OGG and FLAC?
3. Do they offer support for PHP and MySQL?

Thanks
Mike
post #546 of 683 Old 04-13-2010, 07:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 84
I get a message that the O/S wants to install driver software for the following device: ns4300n_902390 (SmartStor Media Server)

Where do I get this driver? Or is there something amiss?
LL
LL

Al
post #547 of 683 Old 04-15-2010, 11:18 AM

Hello,

Looking for some advice re: a recent problem I have experienced. I've recently noticed that my 4300n isn't spinning drive down any more. Upon further inspection it does seem to spin the drives down, but within a minute or 2 they are back online again. The only thing I have changed recently is the switch the the NAS is connected to (it's now a Cisco Small Business switch) and I've updated the firmware on the 4300N since it was quite out of date.

If anyone could please suggest any troubleshooting I can do I would appreciate it. Is there some way to monitor what network traffic is hitting the NAS and could this be the problem? Is there anything else that could be causing the problem?

Thanks in advance
post #548 of 683 Old 04-15-2010, 11:36 AM

I should also mention I installed plugins at the same time as upgrading the firmware, but none are turned on. I might try removing them to see if it makes a difference.
post #549 of 683 Old 04-15-2010, 11:54 AM

OK, removing the plugins solved the problem. Any theories as to why?
post #550 of 683 Old 04-18-2010, 03:13 AM

i tried to upload the new dlna plugin but i got "failed'. Do you know how what the problem is?

thnx
post #551 of 683 Old 04-18-2010, 01:12 PM

in addition to my problem, when I try to load a plugin via the webinterface the NS 2300 states "Invalid plug-in file". I updated to the latest firmware and rebooted the system.
post #552 of 683 Old 04-21-2010, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Sherwood View Post

I get a message that the O/S wants to install driver software for the following device: ns4300n_902390 (SmartStor Media Server)

Where do I get this driver? Or is there something amiss?

You can ignore driver installation prompt as this will be handled automatically in the next version of the DLNA release. This is a Class ID issue. Basically the OS supports Digital Media Servers and attempts to load the generic Class Driver for the device. Microsoft help to identify the correct Class ID that we need to use.

Next version will come in a week (or less).

Thanks.
post #553 of 683 Old 04-21-2010, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkfist View Post

Hello,

Looking for some advice re: a recent problem I have experienced. I've recently noticed that my 4300n isn't spinning drive down any more. Upon further inspection it does seem to spin the drives down, but within a minute or 2 they are back online again. The only thing I have changed recently is the switch the the NAS is connected to (it's now a Cisco Small Business switch) and I've updated the firmware on the 4300N since it was quite out of date.

If anyone could please suggest any troubleshooting I can do I would appreciate it. Is there some way to monitor what network traffic is hitting the NAS and could this be the problem? Is there anything else that could be causing the problem?

Thanks in advance

What version of the DLNA Plug-In are you using? Please use the latest. FTP details are posted below.. Also, disable **********. This will prevent the drives from sleeping.

username: dlnabeta
password: dlnabeta

Get back to me and let me know (billyh@promise.com).

Thanks.
post #554 of 683 Old 04-21-2010, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkfist View Post

OK, removing the plugins solved the problem. Any theories as to why?

This should only apply to the BT Plug-In. Simply disabling the Plug-In will work. If you using DLNA Plug-In, please use latest as I mentioned in previous post and let me know the outcome.

Thanks.
post #555 of 683 Old 04-21-2010, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorgie2010 View Post

i tried to upload the new dlna plugin but i got "failed'. Do you know how what the problem is?

thnx

You are on the latest FW? Which NAS? NS4300 or NS2300?

Thanks
post #556 of 683 Old 04-21-2010, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorgie2010 View Post

in addition to my problem, when I try to load a plugin via the webinterface the NS 2300 states "Invalid plug-in file". I updated to the latest firmware and rebooted the system.

The message will only appear if using older FW. What is your FW version?

Also, what version of the DLNA Plug-In are you attemping to load?

Thanks.
post #557 of 683 Old 04-21-2010, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andi68 View Post

hi pnd,

dlna plugin doesn't work here.
music (mp3) is fine, ut mkv still don't work. i see the files (via "browse folders"), but not as a streamable format for my nmt.

i use a ns2300 with latest firmware (from you) no other plugins, and a hdx-1000 and a popcorn hour a-110 with latest firmwares installed. connected via power-lan adapter by devlo (av 200).

older plugin is working (.08) fine, i see the mkv files and i can stream them perfectly.

what am i doing wrong?

thx in advance
andi

Workaround is coming in the next version.. Problem is the NMT products do not follow DLNA 1.5 or DLNA 1.0 specification. Under DLNA 1.5 DMS supports and provides thumbnails to DMP, the NMT mistakes the thumbnail as the video file which is why you see an image displayed instead of video playback. The workaround is suppose to be included in last version. NOTE: The workaround will apply to the A100, A110, C200 and A200. The HDX-1000 will need to come later as we need to test the device and add the string to our exception list.. Sorry, but these are the kinds of things that happens when others do not follow specs.

Thanks.
post #558 of 683 Old 04-21-2010, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmikester1 View Post

Couple questions about the NS2300N and NS4300N. Sorry if they've been asked before, this thread is big and I did search first.

1. Do they support 2TB drives?
2. Do they offer support for OGG and FLAC?
3. Do they offer support for PHP and MySQL?

Thanks
Mike

NOTE: NS4300 and NS2300 are end of LIFE. We are out of NS2300 and NS4300 will be completely sold out very soon..

1. Yes..
2. FLAC Yes, OGG (Yes)
3. Supported in "NS4600" starting with SR1.

Thanks.
post #559 of 683 Old 04-21-2010, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopper1023 View Post

PromiseNasDude,

Is there a known problem with the PS3 dropping the promise ns2300 and requires stopping/restarting the DLNA server? Each time I start up my PS3, it does not find the NAS. I have to sign into the web browser, stop the DLNA server and start it. Then the NAS will show up.

I'm using:

Firmware version: 01.05.0000.12
DLNA Server version: 01.01.0000.07

Thanks!

Per my earlier posts in this thread please move to the new DLNA 1.5 stack. The old stack which you are using is no longer supported. Once you upgrade the problem will no longer exist.

username:dlnabeta
pasword: dlnabeta

Thanks.
post #560 of 683 Old 04-22-2010, 02:54 AM

Hello.

I have a problem, similar to the one in post 173 in this thread (I thought to put the link here but was prevented since I have not posted here 3 times...)

I also did a hard reset and found myself locked out of my home-directory, the re-created user with the same name does not have access to the home-directory of the previous user with the same name.

The reason I did the hard reset was this:

I have had the NS4300n for a bit over a year now, and I've kept my fingers away from it, not updating it, just using it for file-storing and ftp-sharing (can't get the smb-windows-sharing to work properly).

However, I have kept my eyes open and read the forums, trying to gauge how stable some of the plugins to be by reading posts about them.

For quite some time now, I've wanted to add some media-streaming functionality to my home-network, and having waited for anything bad to be written about the DLNA-plugin 1.01.0000.07 that was release 2009-05-26 and not found any, I thought I'd try it out. The plugin with that version has been available for almost a year now, what could go wrong? Error on my part here...

So, after carefully downloading everything available from Promise for the NS4300n, after carefully reading through all release notes I decided to do it.

A little of my background: I've been working with computers and networks for a bit more than 20 years, I'm quite familiar with different NOS, MS-WinX, DOS and Linux. I also have a fair knowledge about hardware, having worked with and in large corporations. It is therefore natural for me to read up carefully on something as important as a modification to some kind of storage-solution. And I thought I did.

So, according to the release notes, if my NS4300n had any previous versions of DLNA, depending on my Firmware revision (which at the time was v01.05.0000.03) I should perform different actions. Since I had no previous plugins installed, those points were moot.

I then checked on the firmware and pondered if I should or not update my firmware, yet, again, the current firmware release for NS4300n is v01.05.0000.12 from 2009-11-13 which out-dated my version with about a year. So, I thought: "If I'm doing this, I may as well update the firmware to the latest (stable) available version".

After reading a bit, looking for negative remarks on the firmware v01.05.0000.12 and finding nothing significant, I decided to start there.

Said and done, I already had everything downloaded, so I accessed the NS4300n using the web-based administration GUI, having copied the firmware to the root of a user-created share, and entered "ns4300_010512.upg" as file name. The update went smoothly, no problems.

Then for the plugin. Copied the plugin to the root of the same user-created share, entered its name "dlna_plugin_0000_010107.ppg" in the Application Plug-in section. This seemed to work as intended... almost, anyway. After a while I got the "Completed successfully"-message you always want and look for. However, when I accessed the Information-section, I could tell something went wrong, I had the following on my screen (see pic 1).

Now, I expected a name for the plugin, like DLNA-something-or-other, instead, under Application it was blank. Curiously enough, under "Status" it says "ON" in happy, green letters. As to version, anybody's guess is as good as mine. Now for the really interesting part, under "Action" you have the option to "Disable". So I tried that, getting the re-assuring "Service has
stopped"-message (see pic 2). This, however, is not correct. Its still there, running.

OK, now I started to get worried. So, how to backtrack? First, uninstall the obviously flawed plugin. Under "Delete Plug-ins" (see pic 3) I marked the no-name, no-version running plugin, got the "Are-you-sure?" dialogue (see pic 4), followed by "Has been successfully removed" (see pic 5), which, yet again was false. Still there.

OK, what to do? After weighing my options I consulted the manual "NS4300N_PM_v2.4.pdf", which I understand to be the current user manual for the NS4300n. In chapter 8:Troubleshooting, page 179 there's a section about "Restoring the Default Password". However, it says nothing about
what will happen to the information stored on the NS4300n. So, that was clearly NOT an option.

Went to Promise Knowledgebase and looked for how to reset the NS4300n and found an article from 2009-04-03, "Hard Reset of SmartStor NS4300N" and here it seemed I found my answer:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"This article will detail how to Hard Reset the SmartStor NS4300N to factory defaults. This process DOES NOT harm DATA in the Public, Music, Video, Pictures, Download or other user created directories. BACKUP ALL DATA in the "admin" directory as these directories are tied to usernames and username are cleared with the "reset".

***Please use this procedure with SR5 Firmware v01.05.0000.03 or v01.05.0000.07 (or higher) ONLY!!!! DO NOT USE with previous builds unless you plan to start over.***

You may need to reset the NAS for any number of reasons. If you are experiencing any of the following, a reset should resolve your problem:

1. File Permissions are not functioning currently. User has read/write access to folder but cannot read/write.
2. Directories appear empty using any service (SMB/CIFS, AFP, NFS, FTP)
3. Plugins are not functioning correctly.

Examples:

Plugins automatically disables after hours or days.
Plugin cannot be enabled.
Using DLNA Plugin, no device (360, PS3, PCH) detected SmartStor as Media Server.
No content is available to iTunes using iTunes Plugin yet music files exist in music folder.
"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dead on!!! Point 3 above, Plugins are not functioning correctly, that was precisely the problem. So, OK, what about the information on my NS4300n? It states : "This process DOES NOT harm DATA in the Public, Music, Video, Pictures, Download or other user created directories. BACKUP ALL DATA in the "admin" directory as these directories are tied to usernames and username are cleared with the "reset"." Hmmm... well, that seems safe.
Doublecheck and re-read. Yes, seems safe.

Afterwards, I realized what went wrong. I missed some key-words here: "these directories are tied to usernames and username are cleared with the "reset"."

However, when I read this, I was a bit agitated, having struggled for closer to 5 hours with adding a plugin (!), and when I read this it said "Admin", an account I rarely use and certainly not the /home/admin-directory, I have absolutely nothing there. However, in my own user-account's home-directory I had plenty.

After reset, I had no problem recreating/restoring the volume with my information on it. I then re-created my own user, even set the password to the same as I had had previously. And got "Access denied" when I tried to access /home/.

I have entered a trouble-ticket with Promise on this (yesterday, April 21, 2010) and I sincerely hope that they can help me retrieve the information that I have stored in /home/.

So, some conclusions:

1. Don't update firmware revision to v01.05.0000.12 if you plan to install DLNA-plugin 1.01.0000.07.

2. Don't EVER save ANTHING of importance in /home/, better save that in an ordinary directory.

3. In fact, since NS4300N is running on some mini-version of Linux that has had all possibility of basic Linux-administration stripped/locked,
I suggest avoid using anything remotely resembling any other NOS- or OS-functionality. FTP-seems to work reasonably and you can mostly get by using FTP. If you mix in Linux/Windows-sharing and have no way of fixing things when they break, you are probably heading for a world of hurt.

And, btw: if anyone out there has a way that I can retrieve my information from /home/, I could sure use the help.

I somehow doubt that Promise-support will be very a) quick and/or b) helpful in this matter, so my best bet is probably the community.
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
post #561 of 683 Old 04-22-2010, 03:05 AM

Was so caught up in trying to document what had happened that I almost forgot: If anyone has a way that I can retrieve my information from /home/, I could sure use the help.

I somehow doubt that Promise-support will be very a) quick and/or b) helpful in this matter, so my best bet is probably the community.
post #562 of 683 Old 04-23-2010, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palethed View Post

Was so caught up in trying to document what had happened that I almost forgot: If anyone has a way that I can retrieve my information from /home/, I could sure use the help.

Hey There Palethed, as you noticed I had the same issue around a year ago and was coming to reply to your post. Unfortunately, you're out of luck. When you did the hard-reset, it clear the permission/user table which made it so you could not access your home directories (however they were not deleted... yet.) I had the same idea of creating the same username and hopefully it would relink up, however, this is the nail in the coffin. The username wizard actually deletes/over-writes the the home directory when creating the new user. As such, in a EXT3 filesystem, the unlinked directory is more or less gone.

To attempted to recovery my lost home directory (with documents I really didn't want to give up on), I went as far as to buy the RAID controller the 4300 uses (FastTrack TX4310) and attempted to mount the filesystem so I could access the EXT3 Journal. In testing, I could mount a 2 disk array until RAID1, however, I couldn't get RAID5 to mount. There were two issues that lead to this, one, the drivers for the tx4310 were horribly outdated and couldn't get the software based RAID (which the 4310 chipset uses) to ever function correctly. Once the raid is mounted, there is another layer of abstraction (a flexible storage format) that is called like vsb (mental block at the moment.) With Raid 1, I didn't need raid to be completely functional as the drives were mirror thus could also get the VSB (?) system to mount.

Anyway, sorry to hear you fell into the same pitfall as I did. If we'd been given root access after the hard reset, we could have recovered the home directories with root permissions. Unfortunately, without root, there would've been no way. Worse, once re-creating the username (for magical hopes of success), we both kill the directory and would have to go to data recovery mode (yank the drives and go node by node.)

Best of luck... hopefully the info above isn't to painful.
post #563 of 683 Old 04-23-2010, 12:22 PM

Hello SeanMF83, and thank you for your reply.

I really find it shameful that Promise cannot make available a plug-in that would allow the Admin-account at least Read-rights to the file-system, specifically the /home-directory and below. And yes, SeanMF83, it was a real pity that I fell into the same pit you did. I wonder why Promise hasn't put this information into their knowledge-base IN HUGE RED LETTERS?

I still maintain point 2 and 3 from my original posting:
----------------------------------------------------------
2. Don't EVER save ANTHING of importance in /home/ ....... you are probably heading for a world of hurt.
-----------------------------------------------------------

And yes, if Promise had made root or sudo available on request, this situation could have been avoided.

Thank you so very much for your very detailed information concerning your efforts to recover your information, I was about to embark on the same painful journey and you saved me that agony.

This whole mess started when I applied a firmware update and tried to add a plug-in... seems the way to go is to NOT update firmware, the older firmware seems to allow the opening of both Telnet and sudo, from what I've managed to read, and I have read extensively the last few days.

Does anyone understand why Promise has decided to lock up their NAS? Its not like they take any responsibility anyway, why not let people who purchase their product have a sporting chance of fixing the mess they obviously cannot handle...

- If the firmware upgrade and plug-in had worked as intended, this simply would not have happened. I would have had no reason to reset to factory default to get rid of a malfunctioning plug-in.

- If the knowledge-base had CLEARLY stated that information in ANY home-directory, not just the Admin-home-directory, will be destroyed upon a factory reset, this could have been avoided.

And, lucky me :-), I still have the non-functioning, no-name plug-in on my NAS, that still cannot be removed nor shut off... I wonder what it does?

Oh, by the way, in case anyone has a problem with a non-functioning plug-in, please avoid using the Promise KB, especially the article from 2009-04-03, "Hard Reset of SmartStor NS4300N" that, among other things states :
"You may need to reset the NAS for any number of reasons. If you are experiencing any of the following, a reset should resolve your problem:

1. File Permissions are not functioning currently. User has read/write access to folder but cannot read/write.
2. Directories appear empty using any service (SMB/CIFS, AFP, NFS, FTP)
3. Plugins are not functioning correctly."
I'm quite sure that a reset will not help in any way whatsoever... the opposite, in fact...

Way to go on the "Customer-care" part, Promise... way to go...
post #564 of 683 Old 04-23-2010, 03:43 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I don't find the NS2600 anywhere. Do you have a estimated price and ETA for that one?
Thanks
Mike
post #565 of 683 Old 05-06-2010, 11:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 84
And regarding DLNA performance, do the MTU setting make any difference to file transfer speed (relating to playback performance)?

Mine is set to 1500 and I see that this setting goes all the way to 9000, should this be set to the highest level, and what determines the best setting?

thanks!

Al
post #566 of 683 Old 05-08-2010, 08:54 AM

I have connected my NS4300 to my APC UPS. I want to shutdown the NS4300 as part of a script in case of a power failure. How can I perform a shutdown in the command line on the NS4300?
post #567 of 683 Old 05-08-2010, 03:06 PM

Hello All,

I just got the ns4300n (rev 2, firmware 01.05.0000.12) (today and installed 4 1.5tb drives 3 WDC WD15EARS-00Z5B1 (set the time out to 64 min) (also set jumper to Adv Format) and 1 Seagate 1.5 ST31500341AS. I have all 4 drives set as a Raid 5 (took 3 hours) to format the drives (seemed long to me).

No problem setting up shares and ftp.

I have a netgear gs608 switch, but using Windows 7 or 2003 server I get about 5.5 to 6 MBps transfer rate when using FTP maybe 6.2 MBps. I have set the jumbo frames form default 1500 through the settings to 9000 matching my windows systems along way without any improvement.

I get 12 to 14 MBps reads, but have not tried to stream any mkv to my XBMC HTPC yet.

Is this normal for this nas? I trying to figure out why it has a GB card at this rate. Maybe its RAID 5 and its slow writes?

Suggestions?
post #568 of 683 Old 05-08-2010, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbrown2 View Post

Hello All,

I just got the ns4300n (rev 2, firmware 01.05.0000.12) (today and installed 4 1.5tb drives 3 WDC WD15EARS-00Z5B1 (set the time out to 64 min) (also set jumper to Adv Format) and 1 Seagate 1.5 ST31500341AS. I have all 4 drives set as a Raid 5 (took 3 hours) to format the drives (seemed long to me).

No problem setting up shares and ftp.

I have a netgear gs608 switch, but using Windows 7 or 2003 server I get about 5.5 to 6 MBps transfer rate when using FTP maybe 6.2 MBps. I have set the jumbo frames form default 1500 through the settings to 9000 matching my windows systems along way without any improvement.

I get 12 to 14 MBps reads, but have not tried to stream any mkv to my XBMC HTPC yet.

Is this normal for this nas? I trying to figure out why it has a GB card at this rate. Maybe its RAID 5 and its slow writes?

Suggestions?

The read and write times seem to match tests done on Toms Hardware and Small Net Builder http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/content/view/30563/75/. However, copying 1GB+ files with Windows 7 I get transfers of around 10-12MBps write and 20-22MBps read.

Try a different ethernet cable and also a different port on the switch. Also check for updated drivers for the ethernet card on your PC. If possible, try a different model or brand of switch - I've seen posts on various forums about problems with the GS6xx switches, plus my own problems. I have a Netgear GS108 in the basement that has been working great for many years. I had a GS605 in my office for a while and eventually started getting terrible speeds on some ports. It eventually spread to all the ports so I swapped it for a Dlink and have been happy since.

I think the theoretical limit of 100mpbs connection is 12MBps, with real world speeds of 8-10MBps, so that's probably why they went with a 1gbps connection. The CPU seems to be the limiting factor.
post #569 of 683 Old 05-08-2010, 08:42 PM

Thank you for reply. My P4 2.6ghz 1gb nic on 2003 transfers on the same router from and to the same windows 7 pc @ 50MBps. I will use the same port that the 2003 server is on and the same cable to see if the NAS is faster. It would seem though that at these speeds I need to send it back and build a PC with hardware raid.

PS another test.
I changed the raid to RAID 0 instead of 5 and only placed two drives in the RAID. 1 WD and 1 Seagate. Copy of a 1.5 GB file from Windows 7 to the NAS raid 0 was 9.6 MBps. Read from the NAS of the same file was at 23.0 MBps. Now that is something I can deal with. But I would like redundancy. Maybe RAID 10 would be the same speed. I don't mind giving up the other 1tb of space if I can stream my mkv files to my XBMC HTPC.

I did try to stream a mkv to the XBMC with RAID 5, but xbmc had to buffer the movie several times. I stream from my 2003 RAID 0 and never have that issue.
post #570 of 683 Old 05-08-2010, 10:50 PM

Well, as the reviews report (thank you for the links). It does seem that RAID 10 is the best choice for speed. If you all you want is a storage place for files than raid 5 is fine. If you want to stream from the NAS and you want to stream mkv files then for me I needed RAID 10.

I now get 13MBps write on AVG and 23 MBps read.

RAID 5 gave me 6 MBps read and with mkv needing 4 to 5 MBps at start XBMC had to buffer too much.

So with 4 1.5TB drives I have 2.7TB of space. But my files are backed up.
If I had to rate the device I would give 3 out of 5 stars. It needs more of something to give it faster writes and reads at RAID 5.
Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page