Promise SMARTSTOR NS4300N - Page 23 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #661 of 681 Old 05-17-2012, 05:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sorry your in this boat, I have had 3 of them 2 ram's 1 for of was an upgrade to a newer version.

The hardware is slow and the software is really buggy they never really kept up on bug fixes. I sold mine. Bought something better more popular. So if the hardware crashes I can pick up another one and get my data back. Call again and ask for a more knowable person who can tell you if you can put the drives in another scsi box and see this raid. I have never tried that but could have as I had lots of servers that ran different cards for the scsi raid setup.

Their is also a guy that works for promise that used to post here but not any more. I think his name was Billy.

Good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #662 of 681 Old 05-29-2012, 04:25 PM

I've been using mine on companies domain that used Windows 2003 Server for domain controller.

They recently upgraded to 2008 R2, and now although the box can still join the domain, user authentication fails so nobody can actually get to their files.

I contacted Promise Support and they (eventually) said 2008R2 isn't supported.

While waiting 2 weeks for Promise Support to "contact his lead", I tried to figure out possible cause of problem myself. Apparently it may be related to 2008R2 using SMB2 or something, requiring newer version of Samba on the NAS. Promise was able to tell me it uses Samba 3.0.26. From what I can find online, that was one of the first versions to support smb2 and it was still imperfect, so I think one possible solution would be to upgrade samba in the NAS.

Anyone know any possible way I could do that? Or have any other ideas how to make this thing work with 2008R2 domain controller?
post #663 of 681 Old 08-16-2012, 02:57 AM

Hello, we got ther the same Problem. The Active Directory Authentication works with Windows XP, but not with Windows 7.
I have rootet my NAS an now i can see sow errors.
Quote:
switch message SMBsesssetupX (pid 3566) conn 0x0
setting sec ctx (0, 0) - sec_ctx_stack_ndx = 0
NT user token: (NULL)
UNIX token of user 0
Primary group is 0 and contains 0 supplementary groups
change_to_root_user: now uid=(0,0) gid=(0,0)
wct=12 flg2=0xc807
setup_new_vc_session: New VC == 0, if NT4.x compatible we would close all old resources.
Doing spnego session setup
NativeOS=[] NativeLanMan=[] PrimaryDomain=[]
Got user=[DUMMYUSER] domain=[DOMAINNTNETZWERK] workstation=[DUMMYWS-W7] len1=24 len2=296
make_user_info_map: Mapping user [DOMAINNTNETZWERK]\[DUMMYUSER] from workstation [DUMMYWS-W7]
attempting to make a user_info for DUMMYUSER (Dummy User)
making strings for Dummyuser's user_info struct
making blobs for Dummyusers's user_info struct
check_ntlm_password: Checking password for unmapped user [DOMAINNTNETZWERK]\[DUMMYUSER]@[DUMMYWS-W7] with the new password interface
check_ntlm_password: mapped user is: [DOMAINNTNETZWERK]\[DUMMYUSER]@[DUMMYWS-W7]
[000] 20 20 81 1B 23 59 80 D4 ..#Y..
push_sec_ctx(0, 0) : sec_ctx_stack_ndx = 1
push_conn_ctx(0) : conn_ctx_stack_ndx = 0
setting sec ctx (0, 0) - sec_ctx_stack_ndx = 1
NT user token: (NULL)
UNIX token of user 0
Primary group is 0 and contains 0 supplementary groups
pop_sec_ctx (0, 0) - sec_ctx_stack_ndx = 0
check_ntlm_password: winbind authentication for user [DUMMYUSER] FAILED with error NT_STATUS_WRONG_PASSWORD
check_ntlm_password: Authentication for user [DUMMYUSER] -> [DUMMYUSER] FAILED with error NT_STATUS_WRONG_PASSWORD
attempting to free (and zero) a user_info structure
error packet at smbd/sesssetup.c(105) cmd=115 (SMBsesssetupX) NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE
size=35
Quote:
[admin@edv-nas]# sudo ./smbd --version
Version 3.0.31
Quote:

It seems that the Version is not compatible with Windows 7
post #664 of 681 Old 10-11-2012, 11:01 PM

I have a Promise SmartStor NS4300N. Somehow, it seems as if all the files on the NAS have suddenly become owned exclusively by the user root, and group admin. This may have been because the account used to map the network drive to the local PCs was deleted when the ownership of the NAS changed. ... the other users that were in that group, however, who remained as owners did not retain access.

Is there any way to solve this problem? Do I have to hack into the NAS and root it?

post #665 of 681 Old 12-29-2012, 08:23 PM

Liked: 11
I had a power failure which resulted in my folders inaccessible. After a few days the folders disappeared then the volume was gone as well. I have been going back and fourth with Promise technical support off and on for a year now trying to get my data off. In September I bought an additional Promise NAS ns4300n box and it worked till I let tech support into it. I've lost two boxes trying to resurrect my data from system corruption via tech support. I know the guys on this side are just trying to help and I don't want to bash anything but why was this solution so easy but not prevelant in any of all the NAS box posts of and I really hope this works for you. Make sure if you follow the tutorial. Use Ubuntu 12.04 as the 12.10 doesn't have the Disk Utility it only has disk which didn't work for me. I didn't need any of the final steps after I installed the raid support, it found my array immediately. 799gb restored from two WD Blacks in Raid0. I just looked at the last file I copied was from November of 2011. Don't give up hope.

http://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopic.php?f=160&t=51393
stereophonic007 likes this.
post #666 of 681 Old 12-30-2012, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PromiseNasDude View Post

DLNA Plugin Version 01.02.0000.01_A5 is now available for NS4300/NS2300. Resolves the inability to delete contents of .thumbs folder.

Remember, the .thumbs folder is created by Windows. The inability to delete contents of .thumbs folder is the issue resolved. Other small DLNA fixes are included. Final Release to come in a few weeks (DVT is in progress).

ftp://209.172.106.110

username/password: dlnabeta/dlnabeta

Remove old Plugin, then install latest! Final Release is a few weeks away.

Also, check out our new website @ www.promise.com. New SmartStor Forum will go LIVE in a few weeks.

Stay tuned..

I missed this plugin update. Anybody has a copy? Thanks!
post #667 of 681 Old 03-01-2013, 06:42 AM

Hi,

i have a SmartStor NS4300N.
It seam it is simillar to the NUUO NVR Mini.
I will change my NS4300N to an NUUO NVR Mini.
It is possible?

I have test du flash the NS4300N with the NUUO NVR Mini FirmWare, but it works not with the SmartStore WebFrontEnd.
The Meassage is:

Does anywere Know how I can flash the NUUO NVR Mini FirmWare over telent or an other way?

By !
post #668 of 681 Old 08-01-2013, 09:58 AM

link doesnt work for files
post #669 of 681 Old 11-28-2013, 01:49 PM

I've just started to notice a permissions issue on my unit - files that are placed on my NAS box, i then can't delete or change the name of as I don't have the required permissions. I'll need to investigate further.
post #670 of 681 Old 11-28-2013, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
As soon as I remember the password I set for mine, I will take a look! mad.gif

The unit seems to be working fine, but for now I cannot log in.

Al
post #671 of 681 Old 02-01-2014, 05:29 PM

I just found this thread. Could anyone send me a copy of the latest NS4300 DLNA plugin? Based on what I have read it is an improvement over the one posted on the promise website.
post #672 of 681 Old 02-01-2014, 06:11 PM

I am also looking for this update if anyone can please post a new link. Might be a old hunk of junk but it works half way atm ....This update looks like the trick I need.

Thank you

post #673 of 681 Old 03-30-2014, 01:57 PM

Hi Ivan,

This is the version I am running with no issues at all. From memory, I tried this v1.02.x version and I wasn't happy with it:
http://www.pacificpistol.co.nz/files/PromiseDLNA/dlna_plugin_0000_010108.ppg

Cheers,
BuckoNZ
post #674 of 681 Old 03-30-2014, 02:40 PM

Thank you.

So far a few min later some of my music folders are showing up . I will post later on how it is working.

Ivan

post #675 of 681 Old 04-28-2014, 04:06 PM

Thanks for the update. Since the install of this new dnla plugin I have noticed that the drive never enters sleep mode. Any ideas?
post #676 of 681 Old 05-16-2014, 11:54 AM

My NS4300N is on SR5 and was accidentally unplugged. I restored power and it has been running for 6 days. 

I'm unable to map to the network drives or access the NAS using PASM. I have attempted the hard reset on the back of the unit but nothing happens.

Please advise how how I can restore the normal operation of the unit or at least recover the data. Thanks!!!

Unit is powered on. All Lights are Green. 
Drive Status LED on solid. 
Drive Activity LED off. 
System Status LED on solid.
Ethernet Activity LED on flashing.

Bays 1&2 are configured as Raid 1

Bays 3&4 are configured as raid 0

post #677 of 681 Old 05-23-2014, 10:10 AM

Despite owning a unit that was out of warranty, I submitted a support ticket to Promise. They were very helpful and resolved my issue. Here are the steps to resolution...

It seem that unable to access the NAS unit via web interface. Could you please shutdown the unit, lable all the drives and remove from the unit then  boot the unit with out the drives and check whether web interface is accessible. if still not working. 

Lets try to reset the unit with out drives after reset the unit reinsert the drives and recover the raid and let us know the status

please find the below steps to reset the unit
Step 1:Power down the unit
Step 2:Label and remove the drives in the same order they are connected.
Step 3:Power on the unit with NO drives and then press the RESET button until the unit shuts down completely.
Step 4:Connect the drives back into the unit in the same order,RECOVER the array using RECOVER function

once you reset the unit it goes back to factory default settings and Please launch the Smart Navi software then enter default user name : admin / Password : admin to login. 

1. Click the Administration topic and choose the RAID & File System icon to expand the Tree.
2. In the Tree, click the RAID Management icon.
3. Click the Recover tab.
4. On the Recover tab, click the option button beside the invalid RAID Volume.
5. Click the OK button.

The SmartStor will reboot itself to update its configuration and recognize the RAID Volume.

exposuresltd likes this.
post #678 of 681 Old 06-01-2014, 06:48 PM

That's about the same solution to a similar problem I had a while back. The Promise folks are pretty helpful...especially if you get the guy who has a personal NS4300n. The main problem with this NAS is that Promise no longer supports it and to rebuild data from a failed NS4300n, you need to connect your drives to a Unix computer with the same family RAID controller card as the NS4300n. (Or so I'm told by Promise.)

It would be helpful if their subsequent NS4600n or Pegasus RAID boxes would be able to read the NS4300n drives. Not going to happen though.

I'm in the market for a replacement...and want a 5 or 6 bay NAS. Any recommendations?

Cheers!
Gary
post #679 of 681 Old 06-03-2014, 12:06 AM

I've just ordered a new NAS to replace my Promise SmartStor. I've gone with a Synology. Due to usage and budget, I have stuck with a 2-drive model, but know someone who has a 4-drive Synology and they can't stop raving about it.
post #680 of 681 Old 06-09-2014, 10:52 PM

Another vote for synology. I don't remember exactly when my Promise started acting up, but act up it did and I needed to migrate my data in a hurry. I'm sorry I didn't think I had time to run the evacuation using rsync - if I'd done so, I'd have preserved folder as well as file creation dates.

Synology makes a nice 5 bay model, and the better two drive units can take a 5 bay extension later on. The software stack is very good.

One thing to be aware of: the folks who enjoy rifling through other folks' things on the internet definitely know the Synology OS and its weaknesses, which emerge fairly regularly. Synology offers a built-in VPN endpoint, which I'd recommend strongly against using unless you've got a good firewall that the synology runs behind - and if you do, it's probably a better VPN endpoint choice.

The synology boxes at the office all shipped Heartbleed vulnerable, and it's not fixable with anything other than a firmware update. Some of the software on the synology can be patched on your own (assuming you know some linux and are comfortable setting up a package tool like ipkg) but quite a bit of it is not upgradeable, including quite a lot of the core utilities. I recently tried setting up some time based firewall rules on the box at the house and the iptables on the box can't be upgraded via ipkg.

The Heartbleed issue is not the first Synology security issue and I'm sure it won't be the last.
post #681 of 681 Old 06-10-2014, 06:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rousta_bout View Post

Another vote for synology. I don't remember exactly when my Promise started acting up, but act up it did and I needed to migrate my data in a hurry. I'm sorry I didn't think I had time to run the evacuation using rsync - if I'd done so, I'd have preserved folder as well as file creation dates.

Synology makes a nice 5 bay model, and the better two drive units can take a 5 bay extension later on. The software stack is very good.

One thing to be aware of: the folks who enjoy rifling through other folks' things on the internet definitely know the Synology OS and its weaknesses, which emerge fairly regularly. Synology offers a built-in VPN endpoint, which I'd recommend strongly against using unless you've got a good firewall that the synology runs behind - and if you do, it's probably a better VPN endpoint choice.

The synology boxes at the office all shipped Heartbleed vulnerable, and it's not fixable with anything other than a firmware update. Some of the software on the synology can be patched on your own (assuming you know some linux and are comfortable setting up a package tool like ipkg) but quite a bit of it is not upgradeable, including quite a lot of the core utilities. I recently tried setting up some time based firewall rules on the box at the house and the iptables on the box can't be upgraded via ipkg.

The Heartbleed issue is not the first Synology security issue and I'm sure it won't be the last.

Great poast, lots of details, thanks!

Al
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page