Promise SMARTSTOR NS4300N - Page 24 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
Old 06-28-2015, 01:08 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Originally Posted by enigma9o7 View Post
So mine has failed in an unusual way and doesn't seem to power on anymore. Only the fan come on, and although HDD3 light blinks for half a second when I push the power switch, none of the LEDs come on.
Pretty much had the same exact failure here this week. Fans started screaming but no LEDS on the unit, couldn't reach it on my network, then couldn't shut it down due to power switch being dead.... then after an hour it just stopped dead. Nothing then worked at all.

Mine's a 7 year old one, with 4 x 1Tb disks in it at RAID 5. All with stuff on them that I really could do with keeping access to... Yep I now realise that raid 5, with a legacy hardware controller wasn't as safe a place to be as I thought...

So I'd tried numbering the disks, removing them and scanning them with ReclaimMe. They seem intact - no bad blocks so far. So I'm going to treat them carefully I think.

Tried re-assembling the via a Linux PC using mdadm assemble commands, but couldn't successfully build them into a single virtual raid. I'm guessing this is because the Raid control was hardware based rather than software?

Having changed just the power lead I've have noticed that the unit is now powering up again, though shows the red 'spanner' LED that means either a power supply problem, or a damaged file structure.

Can now get back into it with the PASM software, but the file tree is listed as needing to be rebuilt. The manual seems to suggest that this is non-destructive, but the text underneath the 'rebuild' button says that I may lose data... don't think I want to push that button...

Think I'am going to clone at least 3 of the 4 disks - a long probably worthwhile process, then put the 3 clones in and push rebuild.

Any other ideas?
Sponsored Links