Promise SMARTSTOR NS4300N - Page 24 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-28-2015, 01:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma9o7 View Post
So mine has failed in an unusual way and doesn't seem to power on anymore. Only the fan come on, and although HDD3 light blinks for half a second when I push the power switch, none of the LEDs come on.
Pretty much had the same exact failure here this week. Fans started screaming but no LEDS on the unit, couldn't reach it on my network, then couldn't shut it down due to power switch being dead.... then after an hour it just stopped dead. Nothing then worked at all.

Mine's a 7 year old one, with 4 x 1Tb disks in it at RAID 5. All with stuff on them that I really could do with keeping access to... Yep I now realise that raid 5, with a legacy hardware controller wasn't as safe a place to be as I thought...

So I'd tried numbering the disks, removing them and scanning them with ReclaimMe. They seem intact - no bad blocks so far. So I'm going to treat them carefully I think.

Tried re-assembling the via a Linux PC using mdadm assemble commands, but couldn't successfully build them into a single virtual raid. I'm guessing this is because the Raid control was hardware based rather than software?

Having changed just the power lead I've have noticed that the unit is now powering up again, though shows the red 'spanner' LED that means either a power supply problem, or a damaged file structure.

Can now get back into it with the PASM software, but the file tree is listed as needing to be rebuilt. The manual seems to suggest that this is non-destructive, but the text underneath the 'rebuild' button says that I may lose data... don't think I want to push that button...

Think I'am going to clone at least 3 of the 4 disks - a long probably worthwhile process, then put the 3 clones in and push rebuild.

Any other ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2015, 06:43 PM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Well mine must be toast. I've replaced the power supply twice, only for it to fail within a few days each time. Something must be killing it. So now I need to figure out how to mount these drives somewhere else to get the data...

Hopefully there's an easy way to do that?
Old 10-07-2015, 07:00 PM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by exposuresltd View Post
 The main problem with this NAS is that Promise no longer supports it and to rebuild data from a failed NS4300n, you need to connect your drives to a Unix computer with the same family RAID controller card as the NS4300n. (Or so I'm told by Promise.)
I think I need to do this. Any further info on exactly what kind of controller I'd need to buy? Any instructions on how to mount the drives once attached to the controller. I'm willing to install linux to do this (on a small partition) if that's what it takes, and I'm good at following directions, but don't know anything about unix administration (such as mounting drives).
Old 10-07-2015, 10:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked: 243
If a power supply lasts for a few days, this is more then enough time to copy the data off... As a precaution I have copied my data to an external 3TB HDD.

Maybe somebody near by you has a NS4300 you could borrow for such a task?
Old 11-23-2015, 05:37 PM

So, I just acquired a NS4300N box. How do I tell if it's a Rev B?
Old 02-20-2016, 05:21 AM

Recently my friend gifted me with SmartStor NS4300N. Look nice but i have some problems. I know this is very old device but maybe something i can do with him. I'm newbie in NAS world so i have a couple questions.

I updated NAS to the latest (legacy) version - SR5.3 v01.05.0000.12 without problems.

I have 3TB WD Red HDD. But there is a problem when i try to add this HDD to NS4300N, via web interface. NS4300N does not recognize my HDD, he only see 746 GB and only with RAID 0. No matter what i tried, always is 746 GB.
No matter what size of HDD i put in NAS, it is always RAID 0.

1. Is there any chance to add this HDD to this NAS?
2. If not is there any others Firmwares, like FreeNAS or something similar for NS4300N?
Old 07-11-2016, 10:26 AM

Yeah I have just managed to get hold of an NS4600 with 4 1TB WD Blacks. However when I power it on, only the red status LED comes on (with the network light blinking) and I'm not able to see it in SmartNAVI or ping the device. Yet if I format one of the drives, the device will power up but won't let me do anything until it finishes rebuilding the array. Any ideas? Or in fact, any idea how I could format the device to factory default so everything is starting from scratch?
Old 07-12-2016, 02:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis Smith View Post
Yeah I have just managed to get hold of an NS4600 with 4 1TB WD Blacks. However when I power it on, only the red status LED comes on (with the network light blinking) and I'm not able to see it in SmartNAVI or ping the device. Yet if I format one of the drives, the device will power up but won't let me do anything until it finishes rebuilding the array. Any ideas? Or in fact, any idea how I could format the device to factory default so everything is starting from scratch?
Apologies for the multi post. I managed to get it all working nicely, but had the bright idea of deleting the old users from it. Unfortunately I have now the same fate where now I can't access the NAS via PASM or anything else (although I can update the network config from smartNAVI).

Do you have any way of getting this system back up and running or is it a brick now? 3 of the 4 disks in the system are the original that I had before I wiped the users (the 4th is unchanged and out of the system currently).

Before deleting the users, I had also recreated the RAID array. After deleting the users but before restarting, I updated the FW to the newest from 2011. This was when I had problems.
Old Today, 03:13 PM

Can someone test innovation as the engmode password please? I believe I have cracked it.

Thanks,
Lewis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement