Promise SMARTSTOR NS4300N - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 683 Old 11-26-2008, 11:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have had my NS4300N for almost a year an a half, and it has been humming along as a RAID 5 with 4 x 750GB drives on the original firmware. So I finally got around to reviewing the current support for the box, and rev'ed it up to SR5 and added the Firefly plug-in. Since I have no Windows box, nor any desire to have one, I use the web interface exclusively.

Firefly (previously known as mt-daapd) has a web interface at port 3689 (as pointed out earlier). However, the configuration file: /VOLUME1/PLUGINAPP/ITUNES/sbin/mt-daapd.conf
is only writable by root, not admin. Therefore the web interface fails to be able to make any changes. Is there a known root password? Or is there still a telnet hack so I can do it myself?

How about rsync configuration - I haven't dug into it yet because I assume I'll find similar difficulties with it.

Never mind. mt-daapd.conf is constructed from mt-daapd.src by the start script when the module is started, so no change to it will be permanent. I had to modify the installation and start scripts to use my existing top level mount points of AUDIO, VIDEO, and CAMERA instead of the hard-coded MUSIC, VIDEO, and PICTURES. And tweaked a couple of other things. I would suggest that the next revision of the Firefly plug-in use a singe reconfigurable file for the media source directories instead of hard-coding them in itunes/upgrade_script, itunes/ITUNES/sbin/itunes and itunes/ITUNES/sbin/mt-daapd.src.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 683 Old 11-26-2008, 02:40 PM

hello.. i have a the ns4300N.. i use a few different windows computers to access the NAS. is there a way to setup the NAS so when i turn on a computer for the first time i don't have to enter the default user/password to access the NAS? i tried mapping the network drive, but i still have to log-in to access the directories.

any help's appreciated!! thanks.

jim
post #183 of 683 Old 11-27-2008, 07:54 PM

It appears that OGG & FLAC support was considered for the Firefly plug-in. The files mt-daapd-ssc.sh and wavstreamer have been included, but oggdec and flac, though referenced in the script, don't seem to be included. That should be simple to correct.

On the plus side, this mt-daapd server screams compared to the very old version that I have running on a separate box, which is about to be retired. I'm quite happy with it supporting my Roku Soundbridges. Definitely a plus and I'm glad that Promise went with a mature OSS product instead of a half-baked internally generated tool.

I can only hope the next box has 6 drive slots - one for RAID 5 overhead, and one hot spare. Imagine a 6TB bulletproof RAID 5 server using 1.5TB drives - that would be a heck of an appliance.
post #184 of 683 Old 11-28-2008, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by devest View Post

Mine is on a gigabit network also and i'm not having any problems with the speed.

I transfered 30gig in about an hour (less really)

I'd check your settings.

I've been running of these for over a year, and just put the sr5 firmware on mine (running 4x500gb seagate drives). No problems. Reads in the 25-30MB/sec range and writes in the 8-12MB/sec range. I'm on a gigabit network with large frames. I use AFP.

The latest firmware actually seems to work better with AFP with an all-Mac network, the NAS now appears by default in the "shared" list of the finder, for easy mounting.

I don't use any of the plug-ins. I use front-row for DVD playback/streaming and iTunes for audio streaming. I also have 2 audio libraries, one lossless with 16/44 and 24/96 audio. Been working great for over a year now. Most of my playback is through a MacMini on my 2ch / HT setup, or in my office on my iMac.

Great device.
post #185 of 683 Old 12-01-2008, 03:56 PM

After much pain and suffering today, I got the engmode shell to be a full shell on the SR5 firmware. Here's the steps (assuming you are on Mac Os X or Linux):

1) Download the new itunes plugin frimware from promise--

itunes_plugin_0000_010002_A1.ppg

2) Extract the tarball:

dd if=itunes_plugin_0000_010002_A1.ppg of=test.tgz bs=97k skip=1
tar -zxvf test.tgz

This makes the file "rev" and the directory "itunes" in the current directory.

3) Edit the "itunes/upgrade_script" perl script. Add the following lines at the top after the "#!/usr/bin/perl" line:

system qq(sudo cp /etc/passwd /tmp/passwd);
system qq(sudo sed -e 's/engsh/sh/g' /tmp/passwd > /tmp/passwd.wks);
system qq(sudo cp /tmp/passwd.wks /etc/passwd);

Save the file.

4) Create a new plugin ".ppg" file with your changes:

tar -zcvf itunes.tgz ./rev ./itunes
dd if=/dev/zero of=itunes_plugin_0000_010002_A1_mod.ppg bs=97k count=1
cat itunes.tgz >> itunes_plugin_0000_010002_A1_mod.ppg

5) Put this modified file itunes_plugin_0000_010002_A1_mod.ppg on one of the NS4300N's shares.

6) Uninstall the itunes/firefly plugin (if you had it installed previously)

7) Install the modified itunes plugin

8) After the Installation OK dialoge comes up, test the telnet:

telnet YOUR_BOX_IP_ADDRESS 2380

login=engmode
pwd=hawk201

9) You may have to uninstall this plugin and reinstall the original, I saw some flakey behavior where itunes/firefly didn't want to startup till I reinstalled with the original plugin from promise. Might be I need a "chmod -R 777" or some such in the building of the plugin. But as uninstalling and reinstalling is not so much a pain I didn't take the time to verify.

This may be lost after reboot of the NS4300N (i have a feeling the passwd file is refreshed from /data after a reboot). I just wanted to get this out to everyone in case they wanted to play around.

For those that want to make the firefly config file writeable, keep in mind that the NS4300N's design overwrites the config file when the firefly server is enabled/disabled from the web interface with the original configuration file. I found it simpler to make some soft links than to work around Promise's design paradigms.

--d
post #186 of 683 Old 12-02-2008, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by com1n4u View Post

hello.. i have a the ns4300N.. i use a few different windows computers to access the NAS. is there a way to setup the NAS so when i turn on a computer for the first time i don't have to enter the default user/password to access the NAS? i tried mapping the network drive, but i still have to log-in to access the directories.

any help's appreciated!! thanks.

jim

in case anyone searches with the same question.... i figured it out, i ended up making a batch file and used the NET USE cmd to login to the NAS with a username and password. threw the .bat file in the startup folder for all users, now each time someone logs in to windows, the NAS is automatically recognized.
post #187 of 683 Old 12-02-2008, 11:49 AM

You forgot to add as the last line in your new upgrade_script:

system("/usr/sbin/reflashhost >/dev/null 2>/dev/null");

This should make the changes permanent. Also, you may need to restore the correct owner/group information for every file before retarring. I did not have any problems with Firefly refusing to start.

I hope to get around to cross-compiling oggdec and flac for the MPC8343 (Motorola/Freescale PowerPC SoC) this week.
post #188 of 683 Old 12-02-2008, 12:54 PM

Thanks, for that, I didn't know that trick to get the reflash, and I was pretty sure the owner/group/permissions was my problem. Thanks for the clarifications.
post #189 of 683 Old 12-02-2008, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by com1n4u View Post

in case anyone searches with the same question.... i figured it out, i ended up making a batch file and used the NET USE cmd to login to the NAS with a username and password. threw the .bat file in the startup folder for all users, now each time someone logs in to windows, the NAS is automatically recognized.

If you use the Windows SmartNAVI and mount the folders through that application AND you have SmartNAVI start with Windows it will do this as well.

Laters,
Jeff

...wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

XBL = eqshadimar
post #190 of 683 Old 12-07-2008, 05:19 PM

I bought a NAS 4300 at Fry's several months ago. I noticed that fan noise has been addressed several times. Is there any news as to when one might replace the "old" units with "new" ones? My wife banned the NAS from the main part of the house to a back bedroom we never use and I must turn it off when not actively on the network. Thanks for any info.
post #191 of 683 Old 12-09-2008, 10:52 AM

I also bought my NS4300 several months ago. I had inquired with Promise about how to enable the Smart Fan feature due to the excessive fan noise. The feature was listed in the SR4 manual that I was using but I could not find it in the web interface. I was disappointed when I was told that my NS4300N did not support this feature. I was hoping to be able to change mine out for a quite one when I saw the post here from PromiseNasDude but I have not heard anything from my request.

I the mean time my NS4300N keeps getting louder. It is currently next to my cable modem and router but it is about to get banished to someplace where we do not have to hear it anymore.

I wish there was something that I (or Promise) could do about this. I would like to keep it were it is and on the UPS with the rest of my network gear.
post #192 of 683 Old 12-09-2008, 01:46 PM

OK, I've seen this asked several times but I have yet to see an answer and I've read this whole thread.

If I want to upgrade my 4x 500GB drives in my NS4300N to 4x 1TB drives then what is the procedure? I do not wish to change RAID levels. Currently I am in RAID 5.

Can I not just swap out one drive at a time and let it rebuild after each swap until I have all 4 new drives in? I realize this will take forever but I've got time. I just want to know if it's possible before I totally screw up my data.

Please respond if anyone has experience with this.

thanks!
post #193 of 683 Old 12-09-2008, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceManTX View Post

Can I not just swap out one drive at a time and let it rebuild after each swap until I have all 4 new drives in? I realize this will take forever but I've got time.

first of all, sorry, I've never done this with my ns4300 - but that should be the usual procedure! if you try it, please report back - I might also do it sometime...

(or you could find some kind of temporary backup space, copy all your data there, exchange all drives at once and start from scratch, and finally copy your data back...)

best,
aelfredo
post #194 of 683 Old 12-10-2008, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewg@16paws View Post

You forgot to add as the last line in your new upgrade_script:

system("/usr/sbin/reflashhost >/dev/null 2>/dev/null");

This should make the changes permanent....

I've been trying to make this permanent, but haven't had any luck getting things to stick after running the reflash command.

Anybody had any luck with persistent telnet access after reboot?
post #195 of 683 Old 12-12-2008, 01:53 PM

You are correct, I misunderstood what reflashhost does, or at least what it does now. So I have been looking into how a plugin is added to the system and while it looks straight forward, I have not found how the changes get written back from the memory file system to the flash images. The flash devices are /dev/mtdblock0 for the uboot loader image, /dev/mtdblock2 for the kernel image (both areu-boot/PPCBoot images), /dev/mtd3 for the root / filesystem, /dev/mtd4 is the /usr filesystem, and /dev/mtd5 is the /promise filesystem (all Squashfs filesystems).

Try this: "cat /proc/mtd" to find the flash allocation:

dev: size erasesize name
mtd0: 00040000 00020000 "U-Boot"
mtd1: 00040000 00020000 "U-Boot_ENV"
mtd2: 001c0000 00020000 "Kernel"
mtd3: 00320000 00020000 "Rootfs"
mtd4: 00800000 00020000 "Usr"
mtd5: 001a0000 00020000 "Promise"
mtd6: 00100000 00020000 "Data"

From mount we find:

/dev/ram0 on / type ext2 (rw)
/proc on /proc type proc (rw)
/dev/mtdblock4 on /usr type squashfs (rw)
/dev/mtdblock5 on /promise type squashfs (rw)
/dev/mtdblock6 on /data type jffs2 (rw)

So changes to /usr, /promise and /data are written to flash. However, everything in the root partition, i.e. /etc is written to RAM and not saved. I have not found out how changes to the root make it to non-volatile storage.

By the way, the firmware upgrade image has been encrypted by blowfish encryption and signed, making cracks more difficult, for at least the R5 release. Look for a custom version of /sbin/bcrypt. I haven't had time to dig any further due to preoccupation with the season's activities. I probably won't have any more time until after the New Year.

Merry Christmas!
post #196 of 683 Old 12-14-2008, 11:37 AM

Quote:

...However, the configuration file: /VOLUME1/PLUGINAPP/ITUNES/sbin/mt-daapd.conf
is only writable by root, not admin. Therefore the web interface fails to be able to make any changes. Is there a known root password? Or is there still a telnet hack so I can do it myself?

How about rsync configuration - I haven't dug into it yet because I assume I'll find similar difficulties with it.

Never mind. mt-daapd.conf is constructed from mt-daapd.src by the start script when the module is started, so no change to it will be permanent. I had to modify the installation and start scripts to use my existing top level mount points of AUDIO, VIDEO, and CAMERA instead of the hard-coded MUSIC, VIDEO, and PICTURES. And tweaked a couple of other things. I would suggest that the next revision of the Firefly plug-in use a singe reconfigurable file for the media source directories instead of hard-coding them in itunes/upgrade_script, itunes/ITUNES/sbin/itunes and itunes/ITUNES/sbin/mt-daapd.src.

I do not understand this. I cannot edit the firefly settings either. What does this (italicized text) mean?
post #197 of 683 Old 12-15-2008, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jannlinder View Post

I do not understand this. I cannot edit the firefly settings either. What does this (italicized text) mean?

From my current understanding of how things work, the mt-daapd/itunes plug-in is the first of many possible services that can be added to the NS43000N. At boot time, after the system is up and stable, the file /etc/init.d/pluginapp is run with start. It searches /VOLUMEn/PLUGINAPP/ for subdirectories, where each plug-in service is installed (where n is a number). In this case, the service is installed in /VOLUMEn/PLUGINAPP/ITUNES/. The script searches for a configuration file for each service named plugin.conf. From this file, pluginapp finds out how to start the plug-in service by looking for APPBINDIR and CONTROLSCRIPT. Here is the itunes plugin.conf:

Quote:

APPNAME=ITUNES
APPSTRING=Firefly Media Server
VERSION=01.00.0000.02
AUTOSTART=YES
SWAPMEM=NO
EXTLIBDIR=lib
APPBINDIR=sbin
MAINPROCESS=mt-daapd
CONTROLSCRIPT=itunes
#LOGFILE=itunes.log
MPORT=3689

From this file, it determines that /VOLUMEn/PLUGINAPP/ITUNES/sbin/itunes is the start script for the service. This script is called to start the mt-daapd deamon (the project is now called "Firefly" but it used to be called "mt-daapd"). But first it searches for the hardcoded media directories /VOLUMEn/MUSIC, /VOLUMEn/VIDEO, and /VOLUMEn/PICTURES. Then it copies the file /VOLUMEn/PLUGINAPP/ITUNES/sbin/mt-daapd.src
to /VOLUMEn/PLUGINAPP/ITUNES/sbin/mt-daapd.conf, replacing mp3_dir with the directories it found above. Then mt-daapd is started using the configuration file mt-daapd.conf created above. Here is the relevant code:

Quote:

#!/usr/bin/perl
if ( $action eq "start") {
LoadConfig();
print "Starting ITUNES...\
";
system("$app_path/sbin/mt-daapd -c $app_path/sbin/mt-daapd.conf");
}
sub LoadConfig
{
$music_path = "";
open(IN,"/bin/df |");
while(){
if ( /(VOLUME\\d+)/ ) {
if ( -d "/$1/AUDIO" ) {
$music_path = $music_path . ",/$1/AUDIO"; }
if ( -d "/$1/VIDEO" ) {
$music_path = $music_path . ",/$1/VIDEO"; }
if ( -d "/$1/CAMERA" ) {
$music_path = $music_path . ",/$1/CAMERA"; } } }
close(IN);
open(OUT,">$app_path/sbin/mt-daapd.conf");
open(IN,"$app_path/sbin/mt-daapd.src");
while(){
if ( /web_root/ ) {
print OUT "web_root = $app_path/share/mt-daapd/admin-root\
";
}
elsif (/mp3_dir/) {
print OUT "mp3_dir = $music_path\
";
}
else {
print OUT "$_"; } }
close(IN);
close(OUT);
}

So even if mt-daapd.conf were to be writable, it will only last until the service is restarted or the server is rebooted. Then it will be overwritten by the script. So the changes are not permanent. If this change to the configuration file were only performed when the plug-in is installed (in the file upgrade_script which is run only once when the plug-in is installed then deleted), then the web updates to a writable mt-daapd.conf would be persistant. A smart place for that would be in .../etc/mt-daapd.conf. Perhaps the next release will implement this.
post #198 of 683 Old 12-26-2008, 04:27 PM

Is there any way to update the ftp service on the ns4300n?

I'm using WinXP to connect to the ns4300n. When I ftp documents
over (even when setting the preserve datetime stamp option),
the files take on the current time, not the last modification time
of the source files.

I'd be even happier if I can find a way to get sftp set up instead
of just ftp. Any help would be appreciated.
post #199 of 683 Old 12-27-2008, 07:21 PM

I have several questions: My FW version is: 01.05.0000.03 (this is the newest correct?)

1. I am using this with 10.5 (Leopard OS X) and mounting using NFS. The permissions show (for instance):

Code:
drwxrwxrwx  11 jlinder  jlinder        4096 Dec 10 20:40 iTunes
drwxrwxrwx   3 jlinder  jlinder        4096 Mar 14  2008 Temporary Items
drwxrwxrwx   3 jlinder  jlinder        4096 Mar 14  2008 Network Trash Folder
drwxrwxrwx   4 jlinder  jlinder        4096 Mar 23  2008 Gene
-rwxrwxrwx   1 jlinder  jlinder        4482 Feb 12  2008 Desktop DF
-rwxrwxrwx   1 jlinder  jlinder        2048 Feb 12  2008 Desktop DB
-rwxrwxrwx   1 jlinder  jlinder        6148 Dec 13 13:57 :2eDS_Store
drwxrwxrwx   2 jlinder  jlinder        4096 Mar 14  2008 .fseventsd
drwxrwxrwx   2 root     499            4096 Aug 21 23:44 .RECYCLER
-rwxrwxrwx   1 jlinder  jlinder        6148 Dec  7 21:55 .DS_Store
drwxrwxrwx   2 jlinder  jlinder        4096 Feb  2  2008 .AppleDouble
drwxrwxrwx   2 jlinder  jlinder        4096 Feb  2  2008 .AppleDesktop
drwxrwxrwx   2 jlinder  jlinder        4096 Feb  2  2008 .AppleDB
with JLINDER being the logged in user on the NFS client.

My question is this: If I mount the shares using the finder (AFP://1.2.3.4) (with JLINDER username and p/w) from another machine I show nothing in any of the shares. (0 files in the finder window). Mounting the same shares using SMB from another mac (with JLINDER username and p/w) (SMB://1.2.3.4) shows the file structure and files with the ability to read the files BUT NOT WRITE them in most cases. JLINDER is listed as R/W in SMB and AFP sections of the web interface. I am assuming it is a permissions problem. (of course) but I am at a loss as how to fix it. There is about 2.5 TB of data that I cannot move to another storage medium and recopy cos i currently do not have the time to copy this data (at around 10/MB sec NFS speed) in order to delete the share and attempt to recreate it to get the correct permissions. I can CHOWN from the NFS box so if you tell me the chown command (ie: chown -r 777 *.*) and the user it is supposed to be I can perhaps fix this.

When I create a new directory in the NFS share (through the finder over NFS) it shows:

Code:
drwxr-xr-x   2 jlinder  jlinder        4096 Dec 14 09:33 24
I then mount that share on another machine using SMB

I traverse to that directory and try to copy a file.

I get "The operation cannot continue because you do not have write permissions"

Why? The username is jlinder. I am logging in using SMB using the jlinder username. This should be valid, no? Is there a way to (system-wide) make the jlinder user r/w using every protocol. The "Sharing Setup" pane of the web interface does not seem to do this. It does not seem to re-write (chown for lack of a better word) existing files in the specified share.

My next question is the following: I have 4 WD Green Power drives ... 1 TB each in a Raid/5 config. I bought this unit under the assumption that I could, when available, simply unplug (1 drive at a time with this RAID/5 config) and plug in a 1.5 TB drive, let the system rebuild and have that extra space. I am reading (in this thread: ID: 859675 ) that may not be the case.

Next question: Under the NFS/Linux Sharing setup tab I see an "*" for certain shares. Anytime I wish to do that to a share I create I cannot. This is on an internal network and I am SURE of my internal security and wish to NFS mount from any of my internal machines. Is there an easier way (on, for instance, a 10.0.1.x network) to specify a netblock or range or just say ANY MACHINE CAN CONNECT AND HAVE FULL PERMISSIONS?

Last question: When I click on the "Firefly media server" (Version svn-1586) link on the protocol page and log in using my admin username and p/w (or even ns4300n and my admin password) I get the following error on the config page of firefly:

Code:
Your config file is not writable, you can not change anything using this webpage
ps: It shows the config file in the following location:

Code:
/VOLUME1/PLUGINAPP/ITUNES/sbin/mt-daapd.conf
TIA

Jann
post #200 of 683 Old 12-27-2008, 08:08 PM

I'm not looking to customize my NS4300n (except for maybe the fan- found out about the exchange program too late) but I'd really like to know how to get the DLNA server plugin (v1.1.0.5 on v1.5.0.7) to force an update to its index. That way, I'd know for sure which device (the NAS or my PS3) is displaying old (renamed but still showing old filename) or deleted files and directories. Anyone else run into this issue? I'm afraid I'm going to have to rebuild everything from scratch- again.

Jimmie Jazz
(just starting HT)
post #201 of 683 Old 12-28-2008, 02:09 AM

Anyway to create a plugin that will either update the FTP or else, allow me to do proper logging of the FTP. I want logging of who access the FTP and what files was downloaded, at what speed. This could either be written to the HD (admin) or maybe to a syslog. I would think that this would be one of the priority of Promise...
post #202 of 683 Old 12-31-2008, 08:20 PM

I taught myself rsync with this system so that I could deal with the folder modification time issue. (Copying folders just by dropping them from windows preserves file dates but not folder dates.)

Turns out rsync preserves both, even from windows.

You enable rsync by telling the NAS that it's a backup target. (Backup... Nas replication.. Setup tab... Backup server.. give it an IP address that doesn't exist for its primary server.)

The rysnc secrets file isn't encrypted, and the login and password for the rsync service are promise and promise

That user is able to access /usr /promise and /data for writing. Be very sure you have virgin copies write protected before making changes!

My box is now running syslog on my home network - far better than keeping a PC doing that chore!

I can't find my detailed notes on this. I never got as far with this as I'd intended to, I wanted to write a short howto on syslogging and persistently rooting the box. Then, I got into some trouble and needed to reflash the system, and I've only gotten as far as putting the syslog back into play. I had a bad feeling about the permanent root that I did (actually, I think what I did was give admin shell access and used sudo.)
post #203 of 683 Old 01-03-2009, 03:33 PM

Hi.
I have exactly the same problem like Jimmie Jazz who wrote on 12-27-08, 11:08 PM.
The dlna plugin on my smartstor NS4300N shows me also deleted or renamed files which doesnt exists anymore if I try to play those files my tv says that the file format is not supportet but whit the new file it works fine. How can I stop displaying old files?
Thx
post #204 of 683 Old 01-06-2009, 11:18 AM

Hi!

I'm getting a bit bored checking Internet forums and vainly waiting for replies... Did anyone hear about the exchange program to the Rev.B model lately? "PromiseNasDude" Billy wrote here that it was about to start in early December - didn't hear a single letter from him since then...

So - any news, anyone? Thanks a lot!
aelfredo
post #205 of 683 Old 01-07-2009, 05:04 AM

Waiting here too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aelfredo View Post

Hi!

I'm getting a bit bored checking Internet forums and vainly waiting for replies... Did anyone hear about the exchange program to the Rev.B model lately? "PromiseNasDude" Billy wrote here that it was about to start in early December - didn't hear a single letter from him since then...

So - any news, anyone? Thanks a lot!
aelfredo

post #206 of 683 Old 01-07-2009, 11:22 PM

Here is a simple way to permanently enable login by any user with an account. This is quick and dirty skeleton outline to add any package to the NS4300N or OEM equivalent.

Create a directory to work in, then create the following directory tree:

. --> telnet --> TELNET --> bin

In the top level working directory (.) create the file called "rev" containing:

Quote:

PKGNAME=telnet
PKGVERSION=01.00.9999.00
FWVERSION=01.00.0000.00
FIXSCRIPT=

In the directory "telnet/TELNET" create the file called "plugin.conf" containing:

Quote:

APPNAME=TELNET
APPSTRING=Enable Remote Telnet Access
VERSION=01.00.9999.00
AUTOSTART=YES
SWAPMEM=NO
APPBINDIR=bin
MAINPROCESS=no_such_process
CONTROLSCRIPT=telnet.pl

In the directory "telnet/TELNET/bin" create the executable (0755) file called "telnet.pl" containing:

Quote:

#!/usr/bin/perl
$action = $ARGV[0];

# This code is executed when the plug-in is started (when loaded or at boot time)
if ( $action eq "start") {
print "Starting telnet access ...\
";
system("grep -v exit /etc/profile > /tmp/profile");
system("sudo mv /tmp/profile /etc/profile");
}
elsif ($action eq "stop") {
print "Shutting down telnet access ...\
";
}

At the top level, create at compressed tar file containing "rev" and the "telnet" directory:

tar -cvzf telnet.tgz ./rev ./telnet

Now create a header file containing a bunch of NULLs:

dd if=/dev/zero of=telnet_plugin_0000_000000_A0_mod.ppg bs=1k count=97

Finally, glue them together:

cat telnet.tgz >> telnet_plugin_0000_000000_A0_mod.ppg

Now load the plug-in file like normal on any NS4300N or similar Promise OEM NAS. This plug-in will allow any user to login, for example "admin," though the user "engmode" will not be affected. This will work across reboots and power cycles because it is re-executed each restart.

NB: Left as an exercise to the reader, why use this method, see the end of "/usr/sbin/chkhttpd".
post #207 of 683 Old 01-09-2009, 08:21 PM

Like Jimmie Jazz and Gidl above, I too am having similar DLNA issues. My PS3 will pick up some folders/files and not others.

Although I don't have the NS4300N, I have the NS2300N, which is very similar, but only supports 2 drives and not 4.

Any ideas?

I am running the latest firmware and DLNA plugin's, as of today's date.

Cheers,
BuckoNZ
post #208 of 683 Old 01-10-2009, 10:50 PM

Quote:

Here is a simple way to permanently enable login by any user with an account. This is quick and dirty skeleton outline to add any package to the NS4300N or OEM equivalent.

Create a directory to work in, then create the following directory tree:

. --> telnet --> TELNET --> bin

In the top level working directory (.) create the file called "rev" containing:

In the directory "telnet/TELNET" create the file called "plugin.conf" containing:

In the directory "telnet/TELNET/bin" create the executable (0755) file called "telnet.pl" containing:

At the top level, create at compressed tar file containing "rev" and the "telnet" directory:

tar -cvzf telnet.tgz ./rev ./telnet

Now create a header file containing a bunch of NULLs:

dd if=/dev/zero of=telnet_plugin_0000_000000_A0_mod.ppg bs=1k count=97

Finally, glue them together:

cat telnet.tgz >> telnet_plugin_0000_000000_A0_mod.ppg

Now load the plug-in file like normal on any NS4300N or similar Promise OEM NAS. This plug-in will allow any user to login, for example "admin," though the user "engmode" will not be affected. This will work across reboots and power cycles because it is re-executed each restart.

NB: Left as an exercise to the reader, why use this method, see the end of "/usr/sbin/chkhttpd".

What am I missing. I tried this but I still can't telnet in.

Quote:

NS4300N R1.5 A1 (Version 01.05.0000.03) - Promise Technology, INC.
ns4300n login: testuser
Password:

BusyBox v1.00-rc2 (2006.11.07-01:55+0000) Built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

testuser isn't allowed to login!

Connection to host lost.

C:\\Documents and Settings\\Administrator>

post #209 of 683 Old 01-11-2009, 11:24 AM

I've been using mediatomb on my nas now for a few weeks, with the latest firmware (sr5) and i have to say, it's much better than fuppes by a longshot if you have a large library of video going to your ps3

http://www.tt.em-net.ne.jp/~sandhill...02_promise.ppg

Is has a web front end to rescan folders etc, and just works great for me.

the default port for the web front end is http://your.ip.add.ress:49152

if you are having any trouble sounding condecending, find a unix user to show you how.
post #210 of 683 Old 01-11-2009, 12:54 PM

i've been having a hell of a time keeping the "native" bit torrent front end working for my ns4300, I keep on getting "unable to connect to nas" message. and after a little searching and little portsniffing i've figured out a better front end for the included bit t0rrent gui
http://sancho.awardspace.com/

the default password on the ns4300 is blank, login is admin for this client, as an added bonus it works on every known platform and you can add torrent files from outside your internal network.

if you are having any trouble sounding condecending, find a unix user to show you how.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page