PC adding noise to my system even when SHUT DOWN - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 06-14-2007, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
There is some variable within having my HTPC plugged in and connected to my other equipment that causes noise!

I use my HDTV as the audio receiver and output that to computer speakers. It's ghetto - I know - but a dedicated audio receiver is the next thing on my list. Without the PC in the equation, things work fine.

However, as soon as I plug ANYTHING from the PC into the system, even component video, there is noise in the audio. Even with the PC plugged into the wall but powered down I get this problem. Unplug the PC and all is well. Plug it back in and I hear the buzz again (it sounds like when an RCA plug is touching your finger and connected, though a bit quieter).

The PC must be physically plugged in for this to happen. Even when connected to a switched off powerstrip, it makes the noise. Unplug the strip and everything is fine. The PC will send out the noise with nothing plugged into it (no monitor, USB) except a headphone cable, and/OR the component cord from the MyHD card (with the other one of the two disconnected).

The noise is a factor even when the TV is off or switched to another input.

Please help me to end this curse. I think it's also affecting picture quality via component, as the same 25 foot cable works PERFECTLY when connected to a DVD player in the other room, but I get noise in the picture through the HTPC (the other option is I need a higher quality VGA->component adapter, but the audio is still a problem).

-Derek
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-14-2007, 12:06 PM

Is your motherboard properly grounded? Did you build this PC yourself? Is all of this equipment (TV, speakers, PC, etc..) plugged into the same outlet?
post #3 of 6 Old 06-14-2007, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTown_Jerry View Post

Is all of this equipment (TV, speakers, PC, etc..) plugged into the same outlet?

I bet not. It's called a ground loop hum. Plug everything into the same strip and see if that doesn't fix it.

Troy

The Non-Profit Home Theater Company will make your HTPC experience much easier.
Link for info on our first project
post #4 of 6 Old 06-14-2007, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTown_Jerry View Post

Is your motherboard properly grounded? Did you build this PC yourself? Is all of this equipment (TV, speakers, PC, etc..) plugged into the same outlet?

I'm gonna have to educate myself on grounding, I see. I just got the computer from Dell and put in the MyHD card. That's all I did (did not check grounding, etc.). Also in my old house it's possible the ground prong in the outlet goes nowhere.

And the TV is in another room, plugged into a different outlet. I'm not sure how to remedy that, at present. If I put it all on the same outlet I'm going to need a powerstrip with like 20 slots! Or a powerstrip with a good sized extension cord.

If I don't rewire the house is my equipment in jeopardy?
post #5 of 6 Old 06-14-2007, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NerdWithNoLife View Post

I'm gonna have to educate myself on grounding, I see. I just got the computer from Dell and put in the MyHD card. That's all I did (did not check grounding, etc.). Also in my old house it's possible the ground prong in the outlet goes nowhere.

And the TV is in another room, plugged into a different outlet. I'm not sure how to remedy that, at present. If I put it all on the same outlet I'm going to need a powerstrip with like 20 slots! Or a powerstrip with a good sized extension cord.

If I don't rewire the house is my equipment in jeopardy?

Turn the plug around if your plug will allow it.
post #6 of 6 Old 06-14-2007, 04:24 PM - Thread Starter

I resolved the issue with a 12 gauge extension cord.

I drilled an even more massive hole than I had before through my closet so I could fit through 1) a giant extension cord end 2) a coax cable 3) a USB cable 4) component cable w/audio (5 rca heads in all). So now all the elements of my system are plugged into the same outlet. And everything looks/sounds the way it should! I was very nervous that I'd have to buy more heavy duty cords for everything.

It was no fun when my audio and video cables provided the balance to an electrical equation. Who says a 12 gauge never solved anyone's problems?
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page