DG965WH - new to this and need some help - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 06-18-2007, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I inherited a DG965WH from a friend, and coupled it with an MSI NX7300GS video card.

Board = (no posts...cannot link you).

Card = (no posts...cannot link you).

I have a 32" Samsung LNT-3242H that has all sorts of inputs on the back (cannot find an image of the back deck)...but there are 3 total HDMI and a number of other items back there.

So I have it hooked up via HDMI - and lo and behold no sound. I already read why...the video card does not pass sound as you think it would, so I tried using the S/PDIF connector on the card and the included RCA (Male) plug to pass sound from the Line Out jack into the card (via a RCA Female to 1/8" stereo plug adapter).

So that didn't work. Spent a good number of hours spanning multiple days on this...and while I am a PC expert - I am an HTPC novice.

Anyone have any suggestions as to how I should wire this thing to my nice shiny Samsung LCD-TV ?

Many thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-18-2007, 05:38 PM
Advanced Member

AFAIK, that MB does not have a coaxial SPDIF, just optical. I think you can get an optical to coaxial adapter, which might work. Otherwise, if you have a receiver, just plug the optical out to the receiver (assuming it has a free optical input).

Charles
post #3 of 8 Old 06-18-2007, 05:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Unless I'm misreading what you're saying, you're trying to plug the Line Out jack (which is analog stereo sound) into the SPDIF input of the MSI card. SPDIF is digital. I believe the only SPDIF jack on the DG965WH is optical. You could find an optical-to-coaxial converter and send that into the MSI card, or perhaps tap the motherboard's SPDIF signal internally (which is a total hack, but it's only a signal and ground-- should be doable) before it gets sent to the optoelectronics on the optical jack.

Are you on XP or Vista? There's an Intel Audio Studio application (XP only, I think) that should have come with the motherboard (or you can download it from intel.com) which I don't think allows you to retask the analog 8.1 channel outs on the back; perhaps it will let you retask one of them to SPDIF coaxial? I'm away from my machine, so I can't recall all the retask options available in the software, but at least that way you wouldn't have to hack.

I do not speak officially in any sense for
Intel Corp., Technology Manufacturing Group
but I do work there.
post #4 of 8 Old 06-18-2007, 05:53 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for some good information...the analog to digital mess is making sense to me now that it has been said.

I don't have a receiver yet, so that might be my next stop (that and some speakers). For now it looks like I need to get an optical to digital converter.

Thanks for the info
post #5 of 8 Old 06-18-2007, 06:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medar View Post

Thanks for some good information...the analog to digital mess is making sense to me now that it has been said.

I don't have a receiver yet, so that might be my next stop (that and some speakers). For now it looks like I need to get an optical to digital converter.

Thanks for the info

Don't pay more than $20 for one. I've seen some overpriced stuff out there.

I do not speak officially in any sense for
Intel Corp., Technology Manufacturing Group
but I do work there.
post #6 of 8 Old 06-19-2007, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
This is what you need to make it work: http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...ormat=2&style=

take the optical out of your mobo and plug it into that box, then take the coax (RCA cable) from that box into the video card.

You will then get the audio over the hdmi cable like your trying to accomplish.

- Josh

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 8 Old 06-22-2007, 06:38 AM - Thread Starter

So I cheated right now and have my Logitech Z-680 speaker system on the HTPC...allowed me to watch a number of shows I have been recording while we moved houses...so getting caught up. (Basically I had the HTPC plugged in blind to a cable outlet in the back of the new house to store and record shows)

So I have sound. The wife does not terribly like having my computer speakers sitting out, but it makes noise!

Ordered the Converter you linked umdivx...I was actually on the right track and found that on Monoprice as well. Also ordered the Toslink cable so I could avoid another trip to the local PC store.

Thanks all. HDMI sound through the TV is less than a week away, heh.
post #8 of 8 Old 06-30-2007, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter

For whoever may read this with the same issue...bought the TOSLink cable, bought the converter - sound works like a charm.

There are occassional hiccups as the video starts playing...but only last for the first few seconds. After that? Sounds great. Wonderful workaround until I have my receiver and speakers ordered.

Thanks all.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page