Easy HDTV - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 158 Old 01-05-2008, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
CarolinaGuy

What's your zip code and cable provider?

Greg

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, HDTV viewer for ATSC tuner cards

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, HD DVR for ATSC tuner cards
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 158 Old 01-05-2008, 02:11 PM

I did a scan of QAM 256 with the same result - scanned 137 channels, many went in the 95-100% range, one even stayed frozen in the viewer window. Once the scan was done, the channel list stayed empty. When I closed the app it gave the windows "application had a problem" dialog box.

Zip: 25401
Cableco: Comcast

Tuner: Fusion5 USB

Bob

...there are also unknown unknowns. These are things we don't know we don't know." -D. Rumsfeld
post #33 of 158 Old 01-05-2008, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Can the Beta version coexist with the production version on the same pc if installed in different directories?
post #34 of 158 Old 01-05-2008, 04:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz3fwd View Post

Can the Beta version coexist with the production version on the same pc if installed in different directories?

Not entirely, the desktop shortcut and the start->programs->Easy HDTV->Easy HDTV shortcut will point to the last one installed and you'd have to manually create a new shortcut to the first one installed. Other than that it would work.

Greg

post #35 of 158 Old 01-05-2008, 05:12 PM

Anything else you want me to try with the App?

...there are also unknown unknowns. These are things we don't know we don't know." -D. Rumsfeld
post #36 of 158 Old 01-05-2008, 07:08 PM - Thread Starter

No I can't think of anything else to try right now. Do you know what channel to frequency mapping Comcast uses in your area? Standard, IRC, HRC?

Greg

post #37 of 158 Old 01-05-2008, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gc04 View Post

The fact that it tuned something sounds promising. The beta has been updated, found a tiny little mistake in it , to version 1.2.3 beta. Give the new version a try and keep your fingers crossed.

Same behavior with the 1.2.3 beta. It tunes several channels going through the scan (cable channel map, 256-QAM modulation and video only, no audio, not sure if that is normal or not), but adds nothing to the channel list.

I have a very nice frozen picture of Hillary Clinton on ABC HD in the EasyHDTV window right now, though.

e: I am on Comcast in 77382
post #38 of 158 Old 01-06-2008, 07:15 AM

Quote:

No I can't think of anything else to try right now. Do you know what channel to frequency mapping Comcast uses in your area? Standard, IRC, HRC?

Oops - right over my head! Up until now I've left it up to my Fusion software to figure out. Is there something I can look at that will give me any indication?

post #39 of 158 Old 01-06-2008, 09:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLDWV View Post

Oops - right over my head! Up until now I've left it up to my Fusion software to figure out. Is there something I can look at that will give me any indication?

I don't see anything in the software you can check and there's nothing on the comcast web site about it.

Another possible problem is there may not be any PSIP data. When using the Fusion software do the channels have real names like "ABC" or are they just a number like "D31"?

Greg

post #40 of 158 Old 01-06-2008, 09:18 AM - Thread Starter

Anyone using the Hauppage HVR-1600 should NOT use the "nanocosmos MPEG-2 video decoder filter 2" when selecting the video decoder, even though it appears first in the list. Easy HDTV is failing without reporting an error when trying to use. You should use the "InterVideo NonCSS Video Decoder for Hauppage" or the "HCW MPEG-2 Video Decoder"

Greg

post #41 of 158 Old 01-06-2008, 10:17 AM
Lkr
AVS Special Member

im using an ATI TV Wonder 600. I've started to get errors, so it crashes as soon as I open it. I've started using Media Center again. Also, I tried the beta, and none of the QAM works for me. I have Comcast in 32828.

Another bit of feedback/opinion. I can't justify paying $20 for this software, when there are other apps just like it that are free. my advise would be to add some sort of recording option in it and it would easily be worth $20.
post #42 of 158 Old 01-06-2008, 07:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Just ordered a license today-looking forward to future feature updates!
post #43 of 158 Old 01-07-2008, 05:32 AM

Quote:

Another possible problem is there may not be any PSIP data. When using the Fusion software do the channels have real names like "ABC" or are they just a number like "D31"?

They are shown as D763, D1085, etc., which is primarily why I want to dump the Fusion SW. With about an hour's worth of programming effort the DVICO boys could easily let us assign our own friendly names to the channels (after they're scanned and added to "favorites"), but I guess that's just not to be...

Bob

post #44 of 158 Old 01-07-2008, 10:21 AM

GC04,

I'm with TRIAD Time-Warner, (Greensborro, Winston-Salem-High Point, NC)

My actual zip is Thomasville, NC 27360.

According to this I should have several source.

http://www.silicondust.com/hdhomerun...Postcode=27360

I will tried the new decoder I just read about in the posting.

CarolinaGuy
post #45 of 158 Old 01-07-2008, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaGuy View Post

GC04,

I will tried the new decoder I just read about in the posting.

CarolinaGuy

It won't help with channels being added to the channel list, but you might see some video while scanning for channels.

Greg

post #46 of 158 Old 01-07-2008, 04:07 PM

gc04,

you were right, still unable to receive any channels.

CarolinaGuy
post #47 of 158 Old 01-08-2008, 06:00 AM

gc04,
So, you thinking about posting another beta version on your site, or is the lack of PSIP data a major hurdle for your app?

post #48 of 158 Old 01-08-2008, 08:22 AM - Thread Starter

It'll be a while before there's a new beta. Finding channels without PSIP data will take a fairly significant change to what we have now.

Thanks for giving the beta a try, I'll let you know when there's an update.

Greg

post #49 of 158 Old 01-16-2008, 08:52 AM - Thread Starter

The QAM Beta has been updated to version 1.2.4. It now will detect channels without PSIP data.

Greg

post #50 of 158 Old 01-19-2008, 08:12 AM

Liked: 11
Just gave 1.2.4 beta a try with my QAM card (Avermedia A180). It only partially (barely) works.

Easy HDTV is correctly picking up PSIP data for a few channels (the networks) and remapping them; e.g, it shows 2.1 as CBS HD, 4.1 as NBC HD, 4.2 as WNBC Weather plus, etc. However, Easy HDTV is not displaying any picture for these channels. It is only showing a picture for a couple of channels (the comcast preview channels, which are not so useful to watch )
post #51 of 158 Old 01-19-2008, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter

What kind of signal strength do you get on those channels? Can you get those channels using other software?

Greg

post #52 of 158 Old 01-19-2008, 12:42 PM

I can get the other channels using the Avermedia software; however the avermedia software does not show the PSIP info; I'm not sure if it is not picking it up or if it simply doesn't decode it.

As for signal strength, I'd say the strength is high, but I don't know how to give you a level reading. (Does your software do this?)

Are there any debug settings I should try?
post #53 of 158 Old 01-19-2008, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter

Signal strength is shown on the On Screen Display. Close the channels dialog, tune to the channel and click the OSD button. The signal strength is in the lower right corner of the OSD displayed as a percentage.

Greg

post #54 of 158 Old 01-19-2008, 02:32 PM

I'm seeing 100% signal strength.
Here's a snapshot:
post #55 of 158 Old 01-19-2008, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Wow, aint life grand when you can shill your wares and get people to beta test it in the same shot. Bill Gates and Larry Ellison would be proud!

-Trouble
post #56 of 158 Old 01-20-2008, 07:50 AM

Actually, I think it's great to be able to get direct support from the software's author. Try contacting Bill Gates for your next Window's problem and see what response you get.

Now can we get back on topic?
post #57 of 158 Old 01-20-2008, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lclaman View Post

I'm seeing 100% signal strength.

Thanks for the info. That's very odd that it gets the PSIP info but not the video.

Greg

post #58 of 158 Old 02-08-2008, 10:02 PM

Hey wow, just found this thread.

I just e-mailed some suggestions to the email address on your website.

I like the "TV only viewer" design. I don't use my computer to record or pause TV. I don't want a PVR, DVR, TiVo, etc.

I just want a window with TV in it.

Easy HDTV has been a neat alternative to Watch HDTV, as it actually works a bit better under Vista.

Suggestions I emailed about:

- Having a quick, channels-only pop up menu so I don't have to (SLOWLY) page through the channels with the Up/Down arrow.

- Add "overscan" to crop out some of the crud that is on the borders of some broadcasts.

- Add a quick aspect/zoom change button. Maybe a quick zoom between 16:9 and 16:10 for those with widescreen monitors and dont mind cutting a little off on the sides.
post #59 of 158 Old 02-09-2008, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter

Channel changing shouldn't be slow. You don't have to wait for the video to appear before swithcing channels again, like you do on a lot of other programs.

Over scan and 16:10 are both on the to do list. We were thinking of stretching a 16:9 to fill a 16:10 window rather than cutting off some of the picture on the sides.

Greg

post #60 of 158 Old 02-09-2008, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks to all who tried out the QAM beta. I've removed the QAM beta link as trying to add/debug the QAM support remotely isn't working very well. We'll try working on the QAM support in the future as soon as we can get access to cable locally.

Greg

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page