Is there any standalone device that can play backup DVDs from a HD? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 06-23-2007, 07:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Greetings:

I would like to backup all my DVDs collection onto a HD. Is there any standalone device that can hook directly into either my Denon AVR-4806 or Plasma TV TH-50PX75U (planning to update with either an 1080p Aquos LC-57D90U or TH-58PZ700U) HDMI or components video, with a swappable HD (500GB and beyond) capability allowing me to play the ripped movies in the HD if needs be?

Thanks in advance for your time and help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-24-2007, 04:49 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Yes, there are plenty. I bought the (now discontinued) RSH100 from these people some years ago to use in the car. At the time, that model was the only one that could decode DTS to analog (with an add-in card). The RSH300 seems to be an updated version of it.

For what it's worth, I can highly recommend the RSH100, at least for the stated use. I also seem to remember reading at the time that the picture quality on it was pretty good when watching on a proper screen.

If that's not enough to get you started, you could always have a look at this forum
post #3 of 7 Old 06-25-2007, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for your recommendation.

I think the N35 is more suited for my home theater application. Some caveats: no 7.1 surround sound, not specified if PATA or SATA HD supported, USB 2.0 instead of IEEE 1394, not sure if it support 1080p resolution though.
post #4 of 7 Old 06-25-2007, 05:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
post #5 of 7 Old 06-25-2007, 06:37 PM

I bought this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882994002 and it works fairly well although it only does 720P and I haven't tried that. For my purposes, it is perfect. I have a 500GB HDD in it and ripping most of my movies to .avi and @700MB size. Only real problems I have is I started ripping everything over into nero digital (mp4) and although it played fine, I could not fast forward /revers or use next to skip along hte movie. All the .avi's worked fine, hence why I am converting to avi. On a regular TV at most places I stay at when I deploy, hooked up via RCA, it looks as good as anything is going to look. You can put whatever IDE HDD you want.

Mvix also has an HD set-up http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882994003, but I made an HTPC. Although this Tvix http://www.tvix.co.kr/Eng/products/5100sh.aspx looks very interesting.
post #6 of 7 Old 06-25-2007, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwangdel View Post

Greetings:

I would like to backup all my DVDs collection onto a HD. Is there any standalone device that can hook directly into either my Denon AVR-4806 or Plasma TV TH-50PX75U (planning to update with either an 1080p Aquos LC-57D90U or TH-58PZ700U) HDMI or components video, with a swappable HD (500GB and beyond) capability allowing me to play the ripped movies in the HD if needs be?

Thanks in advance for your time and help

http://www.tvix.co.kr/Eng/products/5100sh.aspx

Flawless. Fabulous piece of electronics.....NTSC.....PAL...Composite to 1080p......
post #7 of 7 Old 06-25-2007, 09:33 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Having had a quick look at some of the suggestions made above, things are looking pretty good, except DTS decoding appears to still be a bit of an issue. Of course, most such boxes will have a digital-out that can pass DTS for decoding on a receiver but if the intended usage scenario is different, you've got a potential deal breaker on your hands, at least for me.

(It's not 100% clear that this forum is the best place for the discussion; the Portable A/V forum is probably better, even if the OP was not asking for portability.)
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page