ATI Radeon HD 2X00 (2400,2600,2900) series owners thread - Page 130 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
View Poll Results: Which Radeon HD do you own?
Radeon HD 2400 Pro 207 31.51%
Radeon HD 2400 XT 40 6.09%
Radeon HD 2600 Pro 142 21.61%
Radeon HD 2600 XT 224 34.09%
Radeon HD 2900 Pro 6 0.91%
Radeon HD 2900 XT 38 5.78%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 657. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #3871 of 6505 Old 01-04-2008, 11:20 AM
Member
 
DJBlu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 44
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
720p mkv 20fps bug fix, well working for me

I have tried this on 3 of my x264 encoded 720p HD movies and it removes the 20 fps slow down. I have tried this method to try and fix 1080p movies and it doesn't work. This is for 720p movies only. I haven't tried lower resolutions.

Firstly you need to download the following programs.

MKVtoolnix
MKVExtractGui
H264info

MKVGuiExtract files need to go into the program directory of MKVToolnix to work.

Once all three are installed

Open your MKV/AVI with MKV Gui Extract. Extract all the streams you need(all will be remuxed later) i.e. Audio, Subs etc.

Once all are extracted open H264info.

Input = Extracted H264/AVC Stream
Output = (Insert Name).h264

In the "For 23.976 -> 59.94 Frame Tripling/Doubling alternating (for 720p, 480p)" Box put in

4.2

now click Start. Wait several minutes.

Now Open MKVToolnix --> MKV Merge GUI

Add your New H264 stream with the audio streams etc you extracted earlier.
Click on the H264 stream and click format specific options.
Put in the frame rate of the H264 stream, mine have all been 23.975986 (you can find this out if you download avinaptic and look at the original mkv)
Input your new Output Filename and click Start Muxing.

If this doesn't work on all your movies then I appologise however I have tried this on 3 now and its removed the problem on all 3.
DJBlu is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #3872 of 6505 Old 01-04-2008, 11:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
arfster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 2,914
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
DjBLu: could you try running the extracted h264 video alone? If that works, the problem seems to be with Haali splitter.
arfster is offline  
post #3873 of 6505 Old 01-04-2008, 11:31 AM
Member
 
DJBlu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 44
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by arfster View Post

DjBLu: could you try running the extracted h264 video alone? If that works, the problem seems to be with Haali splitter.

Have done and its the H264 stream that is causing the problem.
DJBlu is offline  
 
post #3874 of 6505 Old 01-04-2008, 01:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
arfster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 2,914
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJBlu View Post

Have done and its the H264 stream that is causing the problem.

Yeah, seems the same for me. Muxxed one troublesome 720p mkv using your method, and it works :-) Will try others later.

If this does work, it should prove easy to do a little batch file for this, so you could set the computer to fix all your mkvs overnight.


Edit: done four 720p mkvs that won't play normally, now they all do. Nice find!
arfster is offline  
post #3875 of 6505 Old 01-04-2008, 04:17 PM
Newbie
 
Precacher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Sweden
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
A little tip: To avoid audio and video sync problems, you can also use the two TimeCode text files, created by MKV Extract, when using MKV Merge in the final stage...
Precacher is offline  
post #3876 of 6505 Old 01-04-2008, 05:11 PM
Advanced Member
 
ExDeus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Uptown
Posts: 597
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJBlu View Post

In the "For 23.976 -> 59.94 Frame Tripling/Doubling alternating (for 720p, 480p)" Box put in

4.2

I believe that's the "Level (1 - 5.1)" box where you enter the level. The label is on the right, not the left. Those are notes applying to the "3:2 Pulldown" checkbox above it.

I'm testing using 4.1, since that's the level we should be shooting for, for DXVA.

Thanks for the find. I'll report back with my results on forcing L4.1 for both L4.1-compliant streams and non-L4.1-compliant streams.

Also, "23.975986" appears to be very accurate, but the actual framerate should be 24000/1001, which is one of the default options in the mkvmerge GUI. That's the framerate you get when you take 24fps film, make a 30000/1001 (29.97fps) HD/DVD/BD via telecine, and then use inverse telecine to get back to 24000/1001 (23.98fps). If AVInaptic or some other tool tells you the framerate is "23.975986", you really want 24000/1001.

Get WMC Recording Storage Pooler 1.1.0.

Get ATI HD Registry Tweaks 0.16. Updated 2009-12-31.

Get Firewire drivers for DVRs. Updated 2009-02-25.
ExDeus is offline  
post #3877 of 6505 Old 01-04-2008, 08:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
rdunnill's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: South Surrey, BC, Canada
Posts: 1,136
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I deleted the nVidia drivers on my MCE 2005 installation, and deleted and reinstalled PowerDVD Ultra. Now I get excellent-quality playback of Blu-ray and HD-DVD.

That fix didn't work in Vista Home Premium x64, however. At least I am back in the HDM game; glad I had a backup!

Is it possible to put together a quick-reference troubleshooting guide so that others don't have to go through all this trouble?

Blu-ray: 50+
HD-DVD: 23
DVD: 600+ and lost count
rdunnill is offline  
post #3878 of 6505 Old 01-05-2008, 01:55 AM
Senior Member
 
tetsuo55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 274
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJBlu View Post

720p mkv 20fps bug fix, well working for me

I have tried this on 3 of my x264 encoded 720p HD movies and it removes the 20 fps slow down. I have tried this method to try and fix 1080p movies and it doesn't work. This is for 720p movies only. I haven't tried lower resolutions.

Firstly you need to download the following programs.

MKVtoolnix
MKVExtractGui
H264info

MKVGuiExtract files need to go into the program directory of MKVToolnix to work.

Once all three are installed

Open your MKV/AVI with MKV Gui Extract. Extract all the streams you need(all will be remuxed later) i.e. Audio, Subs etc.

Once all are extracted open H264info.

Input = Extracted H264/AVC Stream
Output = (Insert Name).h264

In the "For 23.976 -> 59.94 Frame Tripling/Doubling alternating (for 720p, 480p)" Box put in

4.2

now click Start. Wait several minutes.

Now Open MKVToolnix --> MKV Merge GUI

Add your New H264 stream with the audio streams etc you extracted earlier.
Click on the H264 stream and click format specific options.
Put in the frame rate of the H264 stream, mine have all been 23.975986 (you can find this out if you download avinaptic and look at the original mkv)
Input your new Output Filename and click Start Muxing.

If this doesn't work on all your movies then I appologise however I have tried this on 3 now and its removed the problem on all 3.


i am familiar with this method, basically what it does is change the header of the h264 packets to 4.1 instead of what they where (probably 5.1)

What this means is that its still a 5.1 encode with all the b-frames and other wierd crap that was a possiible suspect

Can you try to input 5.1 instead of 4. and see if the file works? if it does then we have found the problem (corrupt packet creation by x264)

If it doesn't work with 5.1 then its an issue with the cyberlink decoder, it probably assumes some things when 5.1 is chosen which breaks compatibility
tetsuo55 is offline  
post #3879 of 6505 Old 01-05-2008, 02:25 AM
Advanced Member
 
ExDeus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Uptown
Posts: 597
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
@arfster

Just to follow up, the streams I encoded at 1920x864 and 1920x816 with 5 reference frames played successfully with DXVA.

So, without the added 50% you mentioned to make it 12MB, the following formula just needs to hold true:

Height * Width * num_ref_frames <= 8294400


Interestingly, if you are close to the limit, i.e., 1920x880 and num_ref_frames = 5, which should be 16 more lines of resolution than are allowed with 5 reference frames, DXVA will still work, but there is decoder corruption. The picture breaks up and there's what looks like macroblocking with corrupt blocks --- what it often looks like when TS packets are lost during a terrestrial broadcast.

Get WMC Recording Storage Pooler 1.1.0.

Get ATI HD Registry Tweaks 0.16. Updated 2009-12-31.

Get Firewire drivers for DVRs. Updated 2009-02-25.
ExDeus is offline  
post #3880 of 6505 Old 01-05-2008, 02:28 AM
Member
 
SugoE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Austria
Posts: 75
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,
i have the PowerColor Radeon HD2400Pro SCS PCIe Card and it won't let to install the ATI 7.12 drivers.
7.11 installation is fine. PowerColor site has only the 7.10 for download.
Is it worth to install 7.12 ?
Need to modify .inf files (how/which) ?

Thanks

Joe
SugoE is offline  
post #3881 of 6505 Old 01-05-2008, 02:40 AM
Advanced Member
 
ExDeus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Uptown
Posts: 597
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tetsuo55 View Post

i am familiar with this method, basically what it does is change the header of the h264 packets to 4.1 instead of what they where (probably 5.1)

What this means is that its still a 5.1 encode with all the b-frames and other wierd crap that was a possiible suspect

Can you try to input 5.1 instead of 4. and see if the file works? if it does then we have found the problem (corrupt packet creation by x264)

If it doesn't work with 5.1 then its an issue with the cyberlink decoder, it probably assumes some things when 5.1 is chosen which breaks compatibility

To my knowledge, the profile levels don't allow any additional features (i.e., things relating to b-frames), it's simply about the allowable framebuffer, which we've established has to comply with L4.1 for DXVA.

With all the testing we've been doing, I think it's clear that the stuttering/20fps isn't simply a matter of packet corruption by the x264 encoder. If the encoder sets the profile to High@L4.1, there are no issues. I suppose it's possible that x264 writes some corrupt packet information only if the level is set to 5.1 or "unrestricted", so I will test some identical encoder settings @ L4.1, L5.1 and Unrestricted and see what happens.

Get WMC Recording Storage Pooler 1.1.0.

Get ATI HD Registry Tweaks 0.16. Updated 2009-12-31.

Get Firewire drivers for DVRs. Updated 2009-02-25.
ExDeus is offline  
post #3882 of 6505 Old 01-05-2008, 04:58 AM
Member
 
DJBlu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 44
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExDeus View Post

To my knowledge, the profile levels don't allow any additional features (i.e., things relating to b-frames), it's simply about the allowable framebuffer, which we've established has to comply with L4.1 for DXVA.

With all the testing we've been doing, I think it's clear that the stuttering/20fps isn't simply a matter of packet corruption by the x264 encoder. If the encoder sets the profile to High@L4.1, there are no issues. I suppose it's possible that x264 writes some corrupt packet information only if the level is set to 5.1 or "unrestricted", so I will test some identical encoder settings @ L4.1, L5.1 and Unrestricted and see what happens.

So what is being said here is the framebuffer in dxva needs to be increased? If so is this something that microsoft needs to address?

Cyberlink have gotten lazy and are making assumsions that profiles are going to break the dxva framebuffer size?
DJBlu is offline  
post #3883 of 6505 Old 01-05-2008, 06:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
arfster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 2,914
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExDeus View Post

@arfster

Just to follow up, the streams I encoded at 1920x864 and 1920x816 with 5 reference frames played successfully with DXVA.

So, without the added 50% you mentioned to make it 12MB, the following formula just needs to hold true:

Height * Width * num_ref_frames <= 8294400


Ahh, good stuff, thanks. So that means 1080p 2:35 aspect can be done with 5 ref frames - that's not so restrictive (except perhaps for anime?). Did you try anything with exactly 8294400? That's bang on 1920*1080*4.....
arfster is offline  
post #3884 of 6505 Old 01-05-2008, 07:36 AM
Senior Member
 
tetsuo55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 274
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExDeus View Post

To my knowledge, the profile levels don't allow any additional features (i.e., things relating to b-frames), it's simply about the allowable framebuffer, which we've established has to comply with L4.1 for DXVA.

With all the testing we've been doing, I think it's clear that the stuttering/20fps isn't simply a matter of packet corruption by the x264 encoder. If the encoder sets the profile to High@L4.1, there are no issues. I suppose it's possible that x264 writes some corrupt packet information only if the level is set to 5.1 or "unrestricted", so I will test some identical encoder settings @ L4.1, L5.1 and Unrestricted and see what happens.

Thanks for testing, iwil await the results.

Just to be clear, the method to used to fix the 20fps only changes the h264 headers, simply hex editing the first frame will already fix the 20fps bug, the same goes for ps3 users, it now seems quite obvious that the header is causing the problems, the movie itself remains encoded in 5.1 its just that the decoder thinks its 4.1

the only question left is, is the header broken by x264 or does the decoder treat 4,1 differently from 5.1

What this also seems to imply is that we can probably keep using 5.1 and lots of b frames and pyramids, all that needs to be done is adjust the header back to 4.1 and it will work, however a lot more testing is needed
tetsuo55 is offline  
post #3885 of 6505 Old 01-05-2008, 08:28 AM
Newbie
 
pat67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I Just found out that dxva for hd-dvd, br and live hdtv does not work when resolution is set to 1920x1080 !
It did work with my PJ Z4 (720p) and it still works on my dell lcd (1280x1024)
but not on my new baby Sanyo Z2000 when resolution is set to 1080p (720p works).
Card is a MSI 2600 pro AGP.
Driver ist Cat 7.12

Anyone else or am I doing something wrong ?

regards,

mike
pat67 is offline  
post #3886 of 6505 Old 01-05-2008, 03:29 PM
Member
 
mav0100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
OK - I have a question for those of you working on the Matrovska files... I've downloaded the tools and edited the files as the guide shows, however, I'm still not seeing any DXVA when playing them in MPC using the Cyberlink decoder - CPU usage spikes at 100% and the video stutters horribly.

Out of curiousity, I tried just playing the .H264 video file in PowerDVD and MPC, and it appears DXVA works just fine with the video - I get CPU usage at about 10% - 15% even in high bitrate portions of the video in both PowerDVD and MPC. However, both the original MKV and the remuxed MKV spike the usage.

Obviously the video can be accelerated. Is there anything else I need to be doing to get this to happen? Do I need to be changing some settings for Haali or something? Or perhaps I need to somehow edit the filters in MPC? Any suggestions?


EDIT - Nevermind - I got it fixed.... Just had to play with MPC's settings...
mav0100 is offline  
post #3887 of 6505 Old 01-05-2008, 03:44 PM
Newbie
 
Greg9504's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by arfster View Post

All graphics cards output progressive - interlaced is much trickier to do.

Thanks. I bought a Asus EAH2600XT. First thing I noticed, compared to the on board Nvidia 6150 graphics card, is that I can view the bios screen over DVI. Previously I had to unhook the DVI to HDMI cable, switch the TV to the S-video input and view the bois from there. If I left the DVI cable hooked up I couldn't see the bois screen on any of the motherboards video outputs.

I Installed .net 3.0 (I think I read to do that here), then the drivers on the included CD, then 7.12 drivers from ATI's site. I had the black boarder problem ("VForceMaxResSize"="2800000") so ran the script for the registry fixes from your web site. I still had a black boarder, although smaller. Finally found out that underscan was set to a positive value in CCC, under DTV|Scaling Options. Setting it to zero fixed the display.

So far for 720p content CCC shows GPU at 31% with next to no dropped frames. With the 6150 Nvidia I was getting horrible dropped frames. I haven't come across any 1080i content yet (HD over DVB Satellite). I'm still using the Pure Video decoders with VMR9, and haven't really played with any of the ATI settings, but so far I'm a happy ATI customer.
Greg9504 is offline  
post #3888 of 6505 Old 01-05-2008, 07:19 PM
Senior Member
 
mijoeldotor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina
Posts: 238
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Greg9504,
What cpu are you using?
mijoeldotor is offline  
post #3889 of 6505 Old 01-05-2008, 07:24 PM
Senior Member
 
mijoeldotor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina
Posts: 238
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
For XP users...Any driver version of the card and PDVD ultra will work ok? I've read Vista users have to use an old 7.7 card driver version in order to have HW acceleration...
mijoeldotor is offline  
post #3890 of 6505 Old 01-05-2008, 11:52 PM
Member
 
mav0100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mijoeldotor View Post

For XP users...Any driver version of the card and PDVD ultra will work ok? I've read Vista users have to use an old 7.7 card driver version in order to have HW acceleration...

I'm using XP MCE 2005 and an AGP Visiontek HD 2400 Pro. So far even after downgrading the OS to XP, I can only get the 7.7's to do any DXVA. 7.12's didn't appear to fix it even in XP.

EDIT: I have yet to try the Omega Drivers that were previously suggested, and I believe the current version is based on the 7.12's.
mav0100 is offline  
post #3891 of 6505 Old 01-06-2008, 01:18 AM
Advanced Member
 
ExDeus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Uptown
Posts: 597
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJBlu View Post

So what is being said here is the framebuffer in dxva needs to be increased? If so is this something that microsoft needs to address?

Cyberlink have gotten lazy and are making assumsions that profiles are going to break the dxva framebuffer size?

Well, yes, the framebuffer would need to be increased to allow for higher profile levels, but it's not a problem for a single company. What I should have said instead of "framebuffer" is "DPB size" (Decoded Picture Buffer). Someone just asked about it on Doom9. Essentially, it is the size, in the framebuffer (memory), of a decoded frame, plus references and other things. It is a function of the total number of reference frames multiplied by the resolution of the video stream.

HD DVD and BD have adopted Profile High @ Level 4.1 into their standards. High@L4.1 requires a DPB of 12,582,912 bytes, which allows for num_ref_frames = 4 @ 1080p and num_ref_frames = 9 @ 720p, plus about 51% extra, for chroma planes, and other things.

The point is that the hardware decoders built into standalone players and video cards, like ATI's UVD chip and whatever Nvidia calls their PureVideo HD chip, have to know a set DPB size to build into their designs, and that size was standardized on the amount for High@L4.1.

As a result, it appears Cyberlink took that into account and limited DXVA to the constraints of High@L4.1. If you push a little past the constraints, i.e., set the resolution just a little higher than what would be allowed by the DPB size, then you just get buffer corruption. If you push much past the limits, then the Cyberlink decoder bails out and you get the black or gray screen.

I don't know that it's necessarily laziness on their part, but what it should do is fall back to software decoding, because you have exceeded the limitations of your hardware for DXVA if you exceed High@L4.1.

This is an important point --- the High@L4.1 is not an arbitrary limitation set by Cyberlink, it is the limit set by the HD DVD and BD standards, and as a result, the hardware decoder built into your video card.

Get WMC Recording Storage Pooler 1.1.0.

Get ATI HD Registry Tweaks 0.16. Updated 2009-12-31.

Get Firewire drivers for DVRs. Updated 2009-02-25.
ExDeus is offline  
post #3892 of 6505 Old 01-06-2008, 01:38 AM
Advanced Member
 
ExDeus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Uptown
Posts: 597
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by arfster View Post

Ahh, good stuff, thanks. So that means 1080p 2:35 aspect can be done with 5 ref frames - that's not so restrictive (except perhaps for anime?). Did you try anything with exactly 8294400? That's bang on 1920*1080*4.....

Yeah, those are all my tests at Doom9 that worked. They were 8294400.

Get WMC Recording Storage Pooler 1.1.0.

Get ATI HD Registry Tweaks 0.16. Updated 2009-12-31.

Get Firewire drivers for DVRs. Updated 2009-02-25.
ExDeus is offline  
post #3893 of 6505 Old 01-06-2008, 02:11 AM
Advanced Member
 
ExDeus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Uptown
Posts: 597
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tetsuo55 View Post

it now seems quite obvious that the header is causing the problems, the movie itself remains encoded in 5.1 its just that the decoder thinks its 4.1

I don't think that's true. I think the streams you are testing comply with L4.1, the level just wasn't specified when encoding. If the level isn't specified, the default is assumed to be L5.1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetsuo55 View Post

the only question left is, is the header broken by x264 or does the decoder treat 4,1 differently from 5.1

I believe the decoder treats L5.1 differently, because the decoder is meant to comply with L4.1. See my next post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetsuo55 View Post

What this also seems to imply is that we can probably keep using 5.1 and lots of b frames and pyramids, all that needs to be done is adjust the header back to 4.1 and it will work, however a lot more testing is needed

You keep referencing differences between L4.1 and L5.1 that I don't understand. Can you point me to documentation that states L5.1 allows features with B-frames and B-pyramids that aren't allowed in L4.1?

The levels simply specify what can fit in a specific DPB size, which determines a max resolution and a max number of reference frames. The levels don't allow or prohibit specific features, like number of B-frames, adaptive B-frames, or B-pyramids. You can use up to 16 B-frames, adaptive B-frames, and B-pyramids in L4.1 or L5.1, as long as the DPB size (num_ref_frames * resolution) is allowed by the level. Features like you mentioned are specified by profiles, not levels, and we have only been discussing High Profile here.

Get WMC Recording Storage Pooler 1.1.0.

Get ATI HD Registry Tweaks 0.16. Updated 2009-12-31.

Get Firewire drivers for DVRs. Updated 2009-02-25.
ExDeus is offline  
post #3894 of 6505 Old 01-06-2008, 02:25 AM
Senior Member
 
tetsuo55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 274
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Everything has been cleared up for me about the "levels"

Hardware players refuse to play or choke on streams which have a level_idc of 4.2 or higher (however some still accept 4.2, 5 and above and they all show problems)

x264 does absolutely nothing with levels, it just sets the level_idc to 5.1 if nothing else is specified, it does not change encoding settings in any way whatsoever

-----------------------

Also it would seem that anything encoded in High@4.1 and within 4.1 DPB size limit will work on any hardware player, It doesnt matter what options you set in the encoder as long as the DPB limit is not crossed.

Now all that we have to do is find the best combination of settings for 480p, 576p, 720p and 1080p (and basically everything in between for the different aspect ratios)
tetsuo55 is offline  
post #3895 of 6505 Old 01-06-2008, 02:27 AM
Advanced Member
 
ExDeus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Uptown
Posts: 597
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I tested encoding an identical stream 3 times with x264, setting L4.1, L5.1, and level "unrestricted", and storing each stream in an MKV container. All encodes comply with L4.1 (num_ref_frames = 4 @ 1080p), despite the level_idc value, because we already know L4.1 compliance is required for DXVA.

I then demuxed the MKVs, and used h264info to overwrite the L5.1 and LU files with L4.1 and L5.1. I remuxed the streams into MKVs and tested playback.

The result was that there is no reason to believe x264 is writing corrupt header information. The files behave the same whether the level_idc tag was written by x264 or h264info. It appears the Cyberlink decoder, when supporting DXVA, needs the level_idc value to be set at 4.1 for smooth playback.

Level_idc: set to 4.1 by x264
Result: Smooth DXVA playback

Level_idc: set to 5.1 by x264, changed to 5.1 with h264info
Result: Choppy DXVA playback

Level_idc: set to 5.1 by x264, changed to 4.1 with h264info
Result: Smooth DXVA playback

Level_idc: Unrestricted, defaulted to 5.1 by x264
Result: Choppy DXVA playback

Level_idc: Unrestricted, defaulted to 5.1 by x264, changed to 5.1 by h264info
Result: Choppy DXVA playback

Level_idc: Unrestricted, defaulted to 5.1 by x264, changed to 4.1 by h264info
Result: Smooth DXVA playback

These results confirm what my other tests have found: for DXVA, you must comply with L4.1. For smooth DXVA playback, your stream must declare L4.1 in the level_idc tag.

Get WMC Recording Storage Pooler 1.1.0.

Get ATI HD Registry Tweaks 0.16. Updated 2009-12-31.

Get Firewire drivers for DVRs. Updated 2009-02-25.
ExDeus is offline  
post #3896 of 6505 Old 01-06-2008, 02:41 AM
Senior Member
 
tetsuo55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 274
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Okay that confirms my last post

In that case these would seem to be the maximum quality settings, (something could go wrong with the b-pyramid one's as i have not tested to see if their end result is more than 2 (this could be the case in the SD files))

I believe these are the best settings for hardware accelerated h264 files, please correct me if i made a mistake

In ALL cases, profile must be High@4.1

1920x1080p --ref 1 --bframes 3 --b-adapt --b-pyramid
1920x1080p --ref 3 --bframes 3 --b-adapt --no-b-pyramid

1280x720p --ref 6 --bframes 3 --b-adapt --b-pyramid
1280x720p --ref 8 --bframes 3 --b-adapt --no-b-pyramid

720×576p --ref 17 --bframes 3 --b-adapt --b-pyramid
720×576p --ref 19 --bframes 3 --b-adapt --no-b-pyramid

720×480p --ref 21 --bframes 3 --b-adapt --b-pyramid
720×480p --ref 23 --bframes 3 --b-adapt --no-b-pyramid
tetsuo55 is offline  
post #3897 of 6505 Old 01-06-2008, 02:53 AM
Advanced Member
 
ExDeus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Uptown
Posts: 597
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tetsuo55 View Post

Everything has been cleared up for me about the "levels"

Hardware players refuse to play or choke on streams which have a level_idc of 4.2 or higher (however some still accept 4.2, 5 and above and they all show problems)

x264 does absolutely nothing with levels, it just sets the level_idc to 5.1 if nothing else is specified, it does not change encoding settings in any way whatsoever

-----------------------

Also it would seem that anything encoded in High@4.1 and within 4.1 DPB size limit will work on any hardware player, It doesnt matter what options you set in the encoder as long as the DPB limit is not crossed.

Now all that we have to do is find the best combination of settings for 480p, 576p, 720p and 1080p (and basically everything in between for the different aspect ratios)

Good, I'm glad we are in agreement.

Everybody should be encoding to L4.1 with L4.1 set in the stream for HD (1080p, 720p) --- for DXVA playback or any hardware players. That means the PS3 profile for x264, with B-pyramids turned off.

Everybody should be encoding to L3.1 with L3.1 set in the stream for SD (576p, 480p, or less).

Keep in mind that, despite the resolution, it is still generally recommended to only use between 1-5 reference frames, usually centering on 3.

The max reference frames can be broken down as follows. The number of reference frames is the max at the given resolution, so if your resolution is between the resolutions given, use the lower number of reference frames (i.e., 1920x816 is between 1920x720 and 1920x864, so you can have a max of 5 reference frames). B-frames count towards one reference frame, which means when encoding with x264, --ref needs to be set to one less than each value (i.e., if max num_ref_frames = 4, then --ref 3 should be used):

resolution: max num_ref_frames (x264 encoder settings)
L4.1
1920x1088: 4 (--ref 3 --bframes 3 --b-adapt --no-b-pyramid) or (--ref 1 --bframes 3 --b-adapt --b-pyramid)
1920x864: 5 (--ref 4 --bframes 3 --b-adapt --no-b-pyramid) or (--ref 2 --bframes 3 --b-adapt --b-pyramid)
1920x720: 6 (--ref 5 --bframes 3 --b-adapt --no-b-pyramid) or (--ref 3 --bframes 3 --b-adapt --b-pyramid)

L4.1
1280x720: 9 (--ref 8 --bframes 3 --b-adapt --no-b-pyramid) or (--ref 6 --bframes 3 --b-adapt --b-pyramid)
1280x648: 10 (--ref 9 --bframes 3 --b-adapt --no-b-pyramid) or (--ref 7 --bframes 3 --b-adapt --b-pyramid)
1280x588: 11 (--ref 10 --bframes 3 --b-adapt --no-b-pyramid) or (--ref 8 --bframes 3 --b-adapt --b-pyramid)
1280x540: 12 (--ref 11 --bframes 3 --b-adapt --no-b-pyramid) or (--ref 9 --bframes 3 --b-adapt --b-pyramid)
1280x498: 13 (--ref 12 --bframes 3 --b-adapt --no-b-pyramid) or (--ref 10 --bframes 3 --b-adapt --b-pyramid)
1280x462: 14 (--ref 13 --bframes 3 --b-adapt --no-b-pyramid) or (--ref 11 --bframes 3 --b-adapt --b-pyramid)
1280x432: 15 (--ref 14 --bframes 3 --b-adapt --no-b-pyramid) or (--ref 12 --bframes 3 --b-adapt --b-pyramid)
1280x405: 16 (--ref 15 --bframes 3 --b-adapt --no-b-pyramid) or (--ref 13 --bframes 3 --b-adapt --b-pyramid)

L3.1
720x(any): 8 (--ref 10 --bframes 3 --b-adapt --no-b-pyramid) or (--ref 8 --bframes 3 --b-adapt --b-pyramid)
720x576: 11 (--ref 10 --bframes 3 --b-adapt --no-b-pyramid) or (--ref 8 --bframes 3 --b-adapt --b-pyramid)
720x480: 13 (--ref 12 --bframes 3 --b-adapt --no-b-pyramid) or (--ref 11 --bframes 3 --b-adapt --b-pyramid)

Get WMC Recording Storage Pooler 1.1.0.

Get ATI HD Registry Tweaks 0.16. Updated 2009-12-31.

Get Firewire drivers for DVRs. Updated 2009-02-25.
ExDeus is offline  
post #3898 of 6505 Old 01-06-2008, 03:02 AM
Advanced Member
 
ExDeus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Uptown
Posts: 597
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tetsuo55 View Post

I believe these are the best settings for hardware accelerated h264 files, please correct me if i made a mistake

Ha, I think we had the same idea for a post.

However, --ref can never go past 16. I believe the limitation is that num_ref_frames can never go past 16, so you actually can't go past --ref 15 if you have B-frames, or --ref 13 if you have B-pyramids.

Get WMC Recording Storage Pooler 1.1.0.

Get ATI HD Registry Tweaks 0.16. Updated 2009-12-31.

Get Firewire drivers for DVRs. Updated 2009-02-25.
ExDeus is offline  
post #3899 of 6505 Old 01-06-2008, 03:13 AM
Senior Member
 
tetsuo55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 274
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Cool

Your list is better!

Now all that's left is a quality comparison between b-pyramids = yes and b-pyramids = no
tetsuo55 is offline  
post #3900 of 6505 Old 01-06-2008, 03:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
arfster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 2,914
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Guys - we should maybe start a new thread for x264 dxva? It's not really an ATI issue as far as I can see, so it would be a good resource for Nvidia folk to test and post results. Ex-Deus: perhaps a repeat of your #3898 post above? It's a good summary.

On a semi-related note, I wonder how the Arcsoft decoder behaves with DPB size and so on.
arfster is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
Computers

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off