Emergency ASUS BIOS update help - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 38 Old 08-05-2007, 04:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Was using the ASUS update program to update the BIOS on my P5K Deluxe. Hit flash and the first 2 (maybe erase and install) went fin then the 3ed (check) said failed. I then tried again and it said it could not read. Then I reset and all it will do is power on for 5 seconds and power off for 5 seconds. What have I (no, what has ASUS) done and how do I get it to boot up?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 Old 08-05-2007, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Found something in the manual called Clear RTC RAM (CLRTC) Jumper that erases RTC RAM. Is this what I need to do?

Also I use a Intel RAID HD to boot so tell me this will still be intact.
post #3 of 38 Old 08-05-2007, 05:56 PM
CSO

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post

Found something in the manual called Clear RTC RAM (CLRTC) Jumper that erases RTC RAM. Is this what I need to do?

Also I use a Intel RAID HD to boot so tell me this will still be intact.

I suspect your bios is corrupted from a failed write attempt. If you are not getting any post message from the motherboard, go ahead and try clearing / resetting the RAM as you found in your instruction manual mentioned above. If this doesn't do anything, then you will need a new bios chip. You can send your motherboard in for repair from the manufacturer, or you might be able to buy a replacement bios chip off of Ebay. Good luck.
post #4 of 38 Old 08-05-2007, 06:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSO View Post

I suspect your bios is corrupted from a failed write attempt. If you are not getting any post message from the motherboard, go ahead and try clearing / resetting the RAM as you found in your instruction manual mentioned above. If this doesn't do anything, then you will need a new bios chip. You can send your motherboard in for repair from the manufacturer, or you might be able to buy a replacement bios chip off of Ebay. Good luck.

I do have a copy of the old BIOS on a USB flash drive. Can I reinstall it from the BIOS menu (if I can get it to boot to BIOS). Also is the Intel RAID keep in the BIOS or is it separate? Also is it in flash and will be unaffected by resetting and removing the batt?
post #5 of 38 Old 08-05-2007, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Just tried and same results. guess I will have to try and call AUSA support tomorrow.
post #6 of 38 Old 08-05-2007, 06:18 PM
CSO

Quote:

I do have a copy of the old BIOS on a USB flash drive. Can I reinstall it from the BIOS menu (if I can get it to boot to BIOS). Also is the Intel RAID keep in the BIOS or is it separate? Also is it in flash and will be unaffected by resetting and removing the batt?

If you can get into your old bios (del key or F1 key to enter at boot) then you are ok. If your machine won't even boot from a floppy then you are probably hosed. One must have a functioning bios to flash an old or new bios. Does your machine report how much memory is installed at boot any more? If not, you are hosed (temporarily).

Clearing the NVRAM just resets the bios back to its factory default settings. You might need to reconfigure your motherboard's settings for raid if you reset the RAM, but your data should not be lost. You probably went beyond the point of no return when you tried to update the bios, so I suspect you have nothing to lose.

Don't worry too much. It's a replaceable bios chip. If you have a friend with the same motherboard, you could borrow his bios chip, and hot swap them once your machine is up and running. Then flash again.

Flashing bios is a gamble. 99% of the time it goes fine, but sometimes it doesn't.
post #7 of 38 Old 08-05-2007, 06:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
If the CLRTC does not work ASUS will mail you a new bios chip. I have had them do this for me.
post #8 of 38 Old 08-05-2007, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member

post #9 of 38 Old 08-05-2007, 07:27 PM
AVS Special Member

I think P5K BIOS chip is soldered so hot swapping is out of the question.
There is bootstrap inside ASUS BIOS chip that never gets flashed and should not be corrupted: you put USB stick with original BIOS, press combination of keys and it should do emergency BIOS flash on non working computer. Don't remember key combination, it should be in the manual or ASUS board. I had similar thing with Asus P5b-e, computer went dead due to POS BIOS update ASUS posted on it's website. Nothing would work until I got very old PCI (not PCIexpress but standard PCI) video card, that got me to BIOS screen and let me load older BIOS back, you could try that as well (remove PCIe card before restarting). I don't know what is it about Asus or other mobo makers, you would think by now they would have something as simple as BIOS flash down to the science. Hope you get it running.
PS
Those are instructions for Asus crash free BIOS for P5B-e, I have no idea if P5K is the same and I don't even know if they work since old PCI video card trick worked for me but with dead computer you have nothing to loose, I think.
1&2 download and copy original version of BIOS to USB or floppy
3. Now put that floppy disk in your PC that has POST problem (if you have no floppy drive, try USB flash disk)
4. Now you need to gain access to ASUS CrashFree BIOS 3 utility. It is not easy, but here what I did. Restart PC by pressing restart bottom on your PC case and immediately press those keys on your keyboard at the same time CTRL+ALT+ DEL+PAGE DOWN . Now, last to keys DEL & PAGE DOWN you have to press. Do not press keys that located just above four arrows on your keyboard, but press the same key but those that located to your far right in the end of your keyboard. As your PC will boot try pressing and releasing and pressing again those keys or just pressing them and just holding them. Try both methods. If you do exactly as I said you will here multiple beeps, that means you entered ASUS CrashFree BIOS 3 utility successfully. This is most important step, to enter CrashFree BIOS 3.
5. This utility will search your CD-ROM drive, floppy drive, USB drive. On your floppy drive it will find floppy disk that you placed before with P5BE.ROM file. It will say " Reading file P5BE.ROM. Completed".
6. Now, ATTENTION!!!. When utility will say Start flashing...(or Start erasing). Let it finish this task. Then it will say Start programming.... Now you have to shut down your PC Immediately !!! Do it by pressing shut down bottom on your PC and hold it for 5 seconds or by taking out plug from the back of the PC. Do not let the utility to finish programming task!
7. Now when your PC is shut down wait for 5 min.
8. Remove your floppy disk from floppy drive.
9. Then put in your CD-ROM drive, ASUS support CD that came with your motherboard.
10. Start your PC. And again in order for you to access ASUS CrashFree BIOS 3 utility, repeat steps that I described in step number 4. Hold down those keys or stroke them again and again during boot up process. If you need restart your PC by pressing restart bottom and try again until you successful.
11. When you enter CrashFree BIOS 3 again, utility will do what it did last time. Only this time it will not find floppy disk, but will find ASUS support CD in your CD-ROM drive.
12. This time don't do anything until whole process is complete. First, it will say again "Reading file P5BE.ROM. Completed". Then "Start flashing...(or Start erasing)". Then "Programming...\\) Wait until it will say flashing process is complete and you have to shut down your PC. Now, do not restart PC, shut it down completely, as I wrote in step number 7.
13. Wait for 5 to 7 minutes, then power up your PC.
14. PC will boot, but it will stop with message about your memory voltage incorrect or failed overclocking. Just press F2 to load BIOS defaults for now.
15. Your PC should boot normally and load Windows.
post #10 of 38 Old 08-05-2007, 08:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete4 View Post

I think P5K BIOS chip is soldered so hot swapping is out of the question.

AFAIK no BIOS chips are soldered. If you know for sure, please provide a link.

Good time to buy computers and computer parts: NEVER
post #11 of 38 Old 08-06-2007, 01:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Search your manual for emergency bios recovery or some such similarly worded option. Many motherboards have this option where you set a jumper and then stick in a bios floppy and it will automatically restore the bios from floppy no matter how mucked up the thing is.

If it doesn't have a jumper for this then it doesn't have that feature. It's not the same jumper as the erase cmos one.

Troy

The Non-Profit Home Theater Company will make your HTPC experience much easier.
Link for info on our first project
post #12 of 38 Old 08-06-2007, 03:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSO View Post

If you can get into your old bios (del key or F1 key to enter at boot) then you are ok. If your machine won't even boot from a floppy then you are probably hosed...

Clearing the NVRAM just resets the bios back to its factory default settings. You might need to reconfigure your motherboard's settings for raid if you reset the RAM, but your data should not be lost. You probably went beyond the point of no return when you tried to update the bios, so I suspect you have nothing to lose.

Don't worry too much. It's a replaceable bios chip. If you have a friend with the same motherboard, you could borrow his bios chip, and hot swap them once your machine is up and running. Then flash again.

Flashing bios is a gamble. 99% of the time it goes fine, but sometimes it doesn't.

It will not boot at all and I haven't had a floppy in many years. I just hope my Intel RAID is still intact. Isn't the RAID located on a separate chip from the BIOS? Wouldn't it have flash memory so if you had to replace the batt it would still be intact?

I've emailed ASUS tech support and hope to hear back soon. Right now I'm very
post #13 of 38 Old 08-06-2007, 04:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

...1&2 download and copy original version of BIOS to USB or floppy
3. Now put that floppy disk in your PC that has POST problem (if you have no floppy drive, try USB flash disk)
4. Now you need to gain access to ASUS CrashFree BIOS 3 utility. It is not easy, but here what I did. Restart PC by pressing restart bottom on your PC case and immediately press those keys on your keyboard at the same time CTRL+ALT+ DEL+PAGE DOWN . Now, last to keys DEL & PAGE DOWN you have to press. Do not press keys that located just above four arrows on your keyboard, but press the same key but those that located to your far right in the end of your keyboard. As your PC will boot try pressing and releasing and pressing again those keys or just pressing them and just holding them. Try both methods. If you do exactly as I said you will here multiple beeps, that means you entered ASUS CrashFree BIOS 3 utility successfully. This is most important step, to enter CrashFree BIOS 3...

Tried this and does the same thing power on for a couple of seconds and power off for a couple of seconds. Can't find anything in the manual about emergency or missing BIOS.
post #14 of 38 Old 08-06-2007, 06:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Did you look at page 4-7 in your manual?
post #15 of 38 Old 08-06-2007, 06:36 AM
AVS Special Member

From Asus P5K description page :
CrashFree BIOS 3
Simply restore corrupted BIOS data from USB flash disk
The ASUS CrashFree BIOS 3 allows users to restore corrupted BIOS data from a USB flash disk containing the BIOS file. This utility saves users the cost and hassle of buying a replacement BIOS chip.

Your BIOS should have CrashFree bootstrap, it should work, possibly key combination to access it is different than what I posted, since it is for different motherboard. Go to Asus.com forum and look for instructions on CrashFree BIOS, or call support center for instructions. If that doesn't work your only other option would be to RMA the board, but CrashFree BIOS is made just for the case like yours, hosed BIOS update, just make sure you clear CMOS: unplug the power, take out the battery and short proper pins (it's in the manual).
post #16 of 38 Old 08-06-2007, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 33
Quote:

Was using the ASUS update program to update the BIOS on my P5K Deluxe. Hit flash and the first 2 (maybe erase and install) went fin then the 3ed (check) said failed. I then tried again and it said it could not read. Then I reset and all it will do is power on for 5 seconds and power off for 5 seconds. What have I (no, what has ASUS) done and how do I get it to boot up?

I had a similar problem on one of my Ausu boards (A8N-SLI). Luckily I have 2 boards so I poped the bios chip out of the lesser used MB and slapped it in, fired up fine. I actually called them up and they sent me the bios chip. Dropped it in the second board real quick and was back up and running. Should be used as a last resort.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" -Arthur C. Clarke
post #17 of 38 Old 08-06-2007, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

One More Time, repeat after me "The BIOS is soldered to the motherboard". It was soldered on my brothers P5K deluxe, it shows soldered here in the write up at :
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=144199
look under cons #3 of copy of the text from website above.
Asus P5B series motherboards have soldered BIOS as well. CrashFee BIOS description seems to be on page 4-7 of the manual according to the text bellow.

Preliminary conclusions May 13th, 2007:
Asus P5K Deluxe is meant to be replacing the 965P chipset motherboards such as Asus P5B Deluxe/P5B-E etc with the flagship 975X chipset being replaced by Intel X38 chipset due out later. I think the Asus P5K Deluxe can potentially end up faster in memory bandwidth intensive tasks than 965P by virtue of the new dividers available 5:6 and 5:8 opens up alot more FSB/MEM combinations

So far i can say, Asus P5K Deluxe has all the good features of Asus P5W DH, Asus P5B Deluxe, Asus 680i Striker extreme, Asus Commando and Asus P5W64 WS Pro rolled into one Asus took alot of feedback into consideration when they designed P5K Deluxe it seems (some suggestions i put forth but I've sure other end user folk have put their 2 cents in too )

Pros:

1. CPU Voltage Damper fixes the old vcore droop issue!
2. High memory clocking like P5B Deluxe/Commando with upto 2.55v vdimm max
3. High Kentsfield quad core fsb - folks been able to get their QX6700 to 480-500FSB compared with P5B Deluxe 400FSB or 450-480fsb with volt mods or 440-480FSB on Asus Commando
4. Very good failed oc recovery like Asus 680i Striker extreme, less need for clearing CMOS on failed overclocks
5. Cleaner cpu socket area for phase change or extreme cooling users like Asus Commando (my Commando just arrived on Friday so another adventure starting soon - this is for phase change )
6. Stock auto performance is very fast on par with moderately tweaked P5B Deluxe in terms of memory bandwidth/super pi. Handles tighter subtimings for memory than P5B Deluxe but performance similar - so maybe loosened up a bit by default for P5K Deluxe.

Cons:

1. Lack of PS/2 mouse port - for KVM switch PS/2 users like me it mights it a bit more complicated to use. I setup a spare USB mouse next to my PS/2 mouse and by passed my KVM switch PS/2 mouse connector cable but kept KVM PS/2 keyboard/monitor plugged in.
2. No power/reset/clear cmos buttons like the Striker Extreme boards
3. Bios chip it isn't replaceable but soldered/fixed on the board it seems. See page 2-3 of manual for the board diagram here. The bios chip is supposedly located at the centre point in between the last PCI3 and PCI-E 2 slot and the red IDE connector location. Directly in alignment with the battery. That would make the bios chip to be the soldered on square chip to the right of the 7 pin header pictured here ? But it has Crash Free 3 bios feature see page 4-7 of manual. Shove the included driver dvd disk the system and boot it up and it should attempt to do a recovery bios flash.
4. Added May 17th, 2007: Folks over at hardforum.com have highlighted some possible layout concerns in that if 2x double slot video cards are used in the 2x PCI-E video card slots, it will render 2 out of 3 of the PCI slots unusable and the location of the front USB/Firewire connectors and IDE connector.
post #18 of 38 Old 08-06-2007, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

One More Time, repeat after me "The BIOS is soldered to the motherboard". It was soldered on my brothers P5K deluxe, it shows soldered here in the write up at :
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=144199
look under cons #3 of copy of the text from website above.
Asus P5B series motherboards have soldered BIOS as well. CrashFee BIOS description seems to be on page 4-7 of the manual according to the text bellow.

Preliminary conclusions May 13th, 2007:
Asus P5K Deluxe is meant to be replacing the 965P chipset motherboards such as Asus P5B Deluxe/P5B-E etc with the flagship 975X chipset being replaced by Intel X38 chipset due out later. I think the Asus P5K Deluxe can potentially end up faster in memory bandwidth intensive tasks than 965P by virtue of the new dividers available 5:6 and 5:8 opens up alot more FSB/MEM combinations

So far i can say, Asus P5K Deluxe has all the good features of Asus P5W DH, Asus P5B Deluxe, Asus 680i Striker extreme, Asus Commando and Asus P5W64 WS Pro rolled into one Asus took alot of feedback into consideration when they designed P5K Deluxe it seems (some suggestions i put forth but I've sure other end user folk have put their 2 cents in too )

Pros:

1. CPU Voltage Damper fixes the old vcore droop issue!
2. High memory clocking like P5B Deluxe/Commando with upto 2.55v vdimm max
3. High Kentsfield quad core fsb - folks been able to get their QX6700 to 480-500FSB compared with P5B Deluxe 400FSB or 450-480fsb with volt mods or 440-480FSB on Asus Commando
4. Very good failed oc recovery like Asus 680i Striker extreme, less need for clearing CMOS on failed overclocks
5. Cleaner cpu socket area for phase change or extreme cooling users like Asus Commando (my Commando just arrived on Friday so another adventure starting soon - this is for phase change )
6. Stock auto performance is very fast on par with moderately tweaked P5B Deluxe in terms of memory bandwidth/super pi. Handles tighter subtimings for memory than P5B Deluxe but performance similar - so maybe loosened up a bit by default for P5K Deluxe.

Cons:

1. Lack of PS/2 mouse port - for KVM switch PS/2 users like me it mights it a bit more complicated to use. I setup a spare USB mouse next to my PS/2 mouse and by passed my KVM switch PS/2 mouse connector cable but kept KVM PS/2 keyboard/monitor plugged in.
2. No power/reset/clear cmos buttons like the Striker Extreme boards
3. Bios chip it isn't replaceable but soldered/fixed on the board it seems. See page 2-3 of manual for the board diagram here. The bios chip is supposedly located at the centre point in between the last PCI3 and PCI-E 2 slot and the red IDE connector location. Directly in alignment with the battery. That would make the bios chip to be the soldered on square chip to the right of the 7 pin header pictured here ? But it has Crash Free 3 bios feature see page 4-7 of manual. Shove the included driver dvd disk the system and boot it up and it should attempt to do a recovery bios flash.
4. Added May 17th, 2007: Folks over at hardforum.com have highlighted some possible layout concerns in that if 2x double slot video cards are used in the 2x PCI-E video card slots, it will render 2 out of 3 of the PCI slots unusable and the location of the front USB/Firewire connectors and IDE connector.

OK, thanks, no need to get excited.

Too bad for the OP.

post #19 of 38 Old 08-06-2007, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Have tried everything and the BIOS is soldered in. ASUS tech support says the motherboard will have to be replaced. What will happen to my RAID with the new board? Will it recognize or destroy it?
post #20 of 38 Old 08-06-2007, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:

Have tried everything and the BIOS is soldered in. ASUS tech support says the motherboard will have to be replaced. What will happen to my RAID with the new board? Will it recognize or destroy it?

In "theory" your RAID should be recognized. However, with board swaps, it's always touch and go. What RAID management software were you using?
post #21 of 38 Old 08-06-2007, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 33
Quote:

If you used the onboard MB raid, I have had a lot of success moving my drives to another ASUS board with no problems at all from the same models.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" -Arthur C. Clarke
post #22 of 38 Old 08-06-2007, 04:16 PM

As long as the replacement MOBO is the same model and you use the same RAID settings in the BIOS, you should be fine by simply reconnecting everything to the new MOBO. Of course a backup/image is always a good idea just in case.
post #23 of 38 Old 08-06-2007, 05:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapone View Post

In "theory" your RAID should be recognized. However, with board swaps, it's always touch and go. What RAID management software were you using?

I used the built in on-board Intel RAID and replacing with the same MB. I sure hope everyone is right because I would loose some data (pictures manly) and MANY many hours of work getting it setup. If it does keep the RAID how will Vista react to the new MB? Will it boot up or will I need to reinstall and keep all data? Also How will all my installed programs react?

Also Newegg was fantastic. Sending the new MB overnight for standard shipping and paying for return shipping.
post #24 of 38 Old 08-06-2007, 05:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I used the built in on-board Intel RAID and replacing with the same MB. I sure hope everyone is right because I would loose some data (pictures manly) and MANY many hours of work getting it setup. If it does keep the RAID how will Vista react to the new MB? Will it boot up or will I need to reinstall and keep all data? Also How will all my installed programs react?

You should be fine.

It should boot all right, It WILL report a new devices found and ask you to reboot etc.

Wish you luck.

Freaking Asus with non-removable BIOS chips.

Will stay with my good, cheap, reliable (most of the time ) Abit boards.

post #25 of 38 Old 08-08-2007, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

UNBELEIVABLE! In less than an hour I installed the replacement MB reconfigured BIOS and booted up. Everything seems exactly the same as it was. Was so concerned and convinced that the RAID would be destroyed moving to a new controller. Can't remember being so happy to be wrong. It looks like I have 3 days to reactivate Vista. I wounder if MS will see red flags since I just re installed Vista a week ago from an older computer (actually just a MB & processor)?
post #26 of 38 Old 08-08-2007, 06:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

UNBELEIVABLE! In less than an hour I installed the replacement MB reconfigured BIOS and booted up. Everything seems exactly the same as it was. Was so concerned and convinced that the RAID would be destroyed moving to a new controller. Can't remember being so happy to be wrong. It looks like I have 3 days to reactivate Vista. I wounder if MS will see red flags since I just re installed Vista a week ago from an older computer (actually just a MB & processor)?

I told you so

Congratulations.

post #27 of 38 Old 08-12-2007, 10:42 AM

Quote:

From Asus P5K description page :
CrashFree BIOS 3
Simply restore corrupted BIOS data from USB flash disk
The ASUS CrashFree BIOS 3 allows users to restore corrupted BIOS data from a USB flash disk containing the BIOS file. This utility saves users the cost and hassle of buying a replacement BIOS chip.

Your BIOS should have CrashFree bootstrap, it should work, possibly key combination to access it is different than what I posted, since it is for different motherboard. Go to Asus.com forum and look for instructions on CrashFree BIOS, or call support center for instructions. If that doesn't work your only other option would be to RMA the board, but CrashFree BIOS is made just for the case like yours, hosed BIOS update, just make sure you clear CMOS: unplug the power, take out the battery and short proper pins (it's in the manual).

Hi Pete4,

I am having the same problem with the P5K Deluxe board. I asked on ASUS forums about Crashfree access information. Nobody seems to know about it. Would you help me with this. The BIOS got corrupted by the same procedure as OP, at the Verifiaction level it failed. Now the PC turn on for 2 seconds and shuts down oever and over again....

Could you help me to get that key combination to accees crashfree BIOS 3 utility?
post #28 of 38 Old 08-12-2007, 03:26 PM
AVS Special Member

There is no key combination according the manual which no one seems to even look at. It says to put a floppy with the bios image or a thumb drive (FAT formatted) with the image in the machine and boot it up. As I and others have said it is on page 4-7 in the P5K deluxe manual. Read it and try it; it may even work.
post #29 of 38 Old 08-12-2007, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netman View Post

There is no key combination according the manual which no one seems to even look at. It says to put a floppy with the bios image or a thumb drive (FAT formatted) with the image in the machine and boot it up. As I and others have said it is on page 4-7 in the P5K deluxe manual. Read it and try it; it may even work.

I have the same problem as the OP and spent all day Saturday trying to get that CrashFree program to work to no avail. When I power on the PC, the cd rom light comes on for about 2 seconds, then the machine powers down, powers back on and repeats. The floppy drive light doesn't even come on. I have the newest BIOS on a floppy in there and the mobo installation disc in the cd rom and nothing. I left the battery out overnight with the jumper on pins 2 & 3 as well, just hoping it'd work. Nothing.

I already mailed Asus's RMA department. Hopefully I'll hear back tomorrow or I'll be RMA'ing it back to the e-tailer, clubIT.
post #30 of 38 Old 08-13-2007, 03:49 AM
AVS Special Member

I have never seen a BIOS update go bad in hundreds of updates. It sounds like there is something wrong with the BIOS on these things. I wonder if anyone updated a BIOS on one of these and had it go well.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page