HP m8100y w/digital cable tuner - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 225 Old 08-06-2007, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anyone have this system? I know it's new, but I'm hoping for some reviews. It looks like it can only be ordered with one tuner.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 225 Old 08-06-2007, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brdolan View Post

Does anyone have this system? I know it's new, but I'm hoping for some reviews. It looks like it can only be ordered with one tuner.

I ordered one a few days ago. For $300, it is supposed to come with an external ATI Digital Cable Tuner and an internal ATSC TV tuner. Don't forget to check techbargains if you order a system. I found a coupon for $300 off.
post #3 of 225 Old 08-06-2007, 03:55 PM

Been using mine for about a week and couldn't be happier. I am just using it as a QAM tuner right now and won't have cable card installed until I move into my new house. The system slows down a lot when I record HD, but that is probably because I only have a single drive setup right now. Once I get my WHS server setup it should be a lot smoother as I will record onto that.
post #4 of 225 Old 08-06-2007, 04:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsalzman View Post

I ordered one a few days ago. For $300, it is supposed to come with an external ATI Digital Cable Tuner and an internal ATSC TV tuner. Don't forget to check techbargains if you order a system. I found a coupon for $300 off.

I'm new to this so I have to ask what can I use the ATSC TV Tuner for? Is that just for over-the-air (can't use that-I'm in the boonies)?
post #5 of 225 Old 08-06-2007, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:

Where did you get it for $300?
post #6 of 225 Old 08-06-2007, 04:41 PM

It's a $300 option when configuring the HP system.

The cablecard tuner allows you to watch encrypted QAM channels once you set it up with your cable company. The internal tuner that comes with it is a version of the HVR-1600 which has one QAM antenna tuner, one analog tuner and an FM tuner. So far in Vista Media center I have only been able to get the digital antenna tuner to work, but not the analog tuner to work together. Seems to be a limitation in Vista that will only allow one or the other. The remote that comes with the system is pretty nice.
post #7 of 225 Old 08-06-2007, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladd View Post

Where did you get it for $300?

I should have been clearer. The coupon is for "$300 off Any Customized HP Pavilion Desktop PC $949+ Code: DT1271 (Exp 8/15)". My total price (after $300 coupon and $100 instant rebate) was $1098.99 including upgrades to 2GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8400GS, ATI digital cable tuner + internal tuner and Microsoft Office.

I plan to use the external tuner (with a CableCard) to record digital cable for most recordings and I plan to use the internal tuner to record analog cable when the external tuner is busy. Like most cable companies, Cablevision provides both analog and digital signals on their digital cable.
post #8 of 225 Old 08-06-2007, 08:03 PM

Quote:

I plan to use the external tuner (with a CableCard) to record digital cable for most recordings and I plan to use the internal tuner to record analog cable when the external tuner is busy. Like most cable companies, Cablevision provides both analog and digital signals on their digital cable.

You might not be able to get this to work. I couldn't on my Velocity Micro Cablecard system. When you enable digital cable, Vista won't let you use your analog tuners for Cable TV. I think you're stuck using the internal tuner for either analog over-the-air or digital over-the-air service.
post #9 of 225 Old 08-06-2007, 10:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I should have been clearer. The coupon is for "$300 off Any Customized HP Pavilion Desktop PC $949+ Code: DT1271 (Exp 8/15)". My total price (after $300 coupon and $100 instant rebate) was $1098.99 including upgrades to 2GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8400GS, ATI digital cable tuner + internal tuner and Microsoft Office.

I figured as much but just didn't want to miss out on a great opportunity because I assumed something.

Thanks for clarifying.

Quote:

The CableCard tuners will replace the analog tuners. You will not be able to run analog tuners with the OCURs. You can however run ATSC+OCUR.
post #10 of 225 Old 08-09-2007, 03:16 AM - Thread Starter

drsalzman,

please update us on how it works out for you.
post #11 of 225 Old 08-09-2007, 03:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by millerbrad View Post

You might not be able to get this to work. I couldn't on my Velocity Micro Cablecard system. When you enable digital cable, Vista won't let you use your analog tuners for Cable TV. I think you're stuck using the internal tuner for either analog over-the-air or digital over-the-air service.

Hopefully this is something that could be fixed with an update later.
post #12 of 225 Old 08-10-2007, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by millerbrad View Post

Bummer. Has anyone managed to find a registry hack to allow an NTSC (analog cable) tuner and a Digital Cable Tuner to coexist in Vista? I am too far away to receive over-the-air ATSC or NTSC signals.

In happier news, I received my HP w2207 monitor yesterday. The picture is amazing. The rest of the system should arrive Tuesday. I'll post my findings.
post #13 of 225 Old 08-13-2007, 10:17 PM

I've got a m8100y and can verify that once you hook up the ATI cablecard box, the internal analog tuner is defeated. VERY frustrating. Anyone heard of any hacks or work-arounds???

(oddly enough, the OTA HD tuner can still work)
post #14 of 225 Old 08-14-2007, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member

No, analog tuners are not supported when used with OCURs. ATSC tuners can still be used. I don't know of any workarounds to change that.

Chris
post #15 of 225 Old 08-14-2007, 03:10 PM

Quote:

No, analog tuners are not supported when used with OCURs. ATSC tuners can still be used. I don't know of any workarounds to change that.

Chris - is that just considered a bug and will be fixed, or is there some sort of DRM-ish reason for that and the issue will always be with us?
post #16 of 225 Old 08-14-2007, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
How would MCE know which tuner to use for analog cable? Cable card or the analog capture card? ATSC works because it is a different channel in the guide.
post #17 of 225 Old 08-14-2007, 03:37 PM
AVS Special Member

I was listening to an MS sponsored tech chat on media center right around the time when ATSC support added to media center. In that session the developers in the chat basically made it sound like they did not build support in at the lowest level for multiple tuning sources/guides. This is the reason that ATSC guide data is basically a remapping of the guide channels from the primary TV service instead of being true ATSC guide data.

Maybe with a future release they will be addressing this but I know of no simple hack to get around this... and there have been a number of people looking for quite a while.
post #18 of 225 Old 08-14-2007, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
With the analog spectrum going away and cable companies intent on using QAM with cable card I dont ever see MCE supporting an analog card with CC.
post #19 of 225 Old 08-14-2007, 05:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimanderson3 View Post

Chris - is that just considered a bug and will be fixed, or is there some sort of DRM-ish reason for that and the issue will always be with us?

^ What they said. It would use the same tuning space, thus there is no current way for Media Center to know what you really want to tune.

Chris
post #20 of 225 Old 08-14-2007, 05:25 PM

OK - please forgive my stupidity. There is obviously something here that I'm not getting. If MCE can juggle multiple analog tuners and know which one to use, why can't it use both DCT and analog? When a station to play or record is selected DCT could have priority and analog is used if the DCT is busy.

Again, I'm sure I'm missing something obvious, but I don't "get" this and would appreciate any insight offered.
post #21 of 225 Old 08-14-2007, 06:51 PM
AVS Special Member

The "tuning" part is just a small part of the software process (most of that process occurs in hardware). The tuning function was designed with multiple tuners in mind.

There is an entire architecture built within windows to support defining your region, your tv signal provider, their lineup, the channels within that lineup and the programs that are on within that lineup. Then there are the processes that download the guide data, manage recordings, recording conflicts, searches, etc.. These processes all expect to only have to handle a single TV signal source.

My understanding (again based on comments from a few years back, prior to Vista) is that rebuilding MCE to support multiple tv signal providers/sources means rearchitecting a large number of areas of the TV functions.
post #22 of 225 Old 08-14-2007, 07:59 PM

Quote:

These processes all expect to only have to handle a single TV signal source.

My understanding (again based on comments from a few years back, prior to Vista) is that rebuilding MCE to support multiple tv signal providers/sources means rearchitecting a large number of areas of the TV functions.

BUT...isn't OTA ATSC a different souce than DCT? Why can it handle those 2 sources but not analog?
post #23 of 225 Old 08-14-2007, 08:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimanderson3 View Post

BUT...isn't OTA ATSC a different souce than DCT? Why can it handle those 2 sources but not analog?

Because of the way that ATSC support was implemented. There is not a separate guide for OTA ATSC. MCE simply maps the data from your current analog guide source to the ATSC channels. This is the main reason that most of the sub channels do not have guide data. OCURs replace the analog tuners, ATSC EPG data is still just remapped.
post #24 of 225 Old 08-15-2007, 12:46 PM

How loud is this system? It's advertised as a media center, but is it really quiet enough for use in the living room?
post #25 of 225 Old 08-15-2007, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 52
I tried to use this coupon a few minutes ago and got an error message to the effect that number of units assigned to this coupon have been exceeded.

Just another blank signature.
post #26 of 225 Old 08-15-2007, 03:43 PM

Completely silent. Sometimes you can hear the hard drive if you have a lot of activity going on (could probably switch to a quieter drive), but sometimes I can't even tell its on even when I am not watching TV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougmuir View Post

How loud is this system? It's advertised as a media center, but is it really quiet enough for use in the living room?

post #27 of 225 Old 08-15-2007, 05:52 PM

I agree w/ dailowai - the noise level is excellent. The only issue is that it's a tower configuration - not made to go in a component stack. Also, since the DCT is external, you have to find a home for it as well.
post #28 of 225 Old 08-15-2007, 10:50 PM

The only thing keeping me from buying this is the single cable card issue...
post #29 of 225 Old 08-16-2007, 05:12 AM

Will HP sell a second cablecard tuner as an upgrade?
post #30 of 225 Old 08-16-2007, 07:30 AM
AVS Special Member

No, at least not currently. No one has any idea if that will change at a later date.

Chris
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page