DVI>HDMI Cables: Single Link Vs. Dual Link. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 08-13-2007, 03:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is there a difference between these two types of cables? I recently purchased an ATI HD2600 XT, and I plan to use a DVI to HDMI cable in order to hook it up to my TV. Will it make a difference in the quality or signal strength if the DVI end of the cable is Single vs. Dual Link? Are there any advantages to having Dual Link over Single Link? I will be using a 15ft cable to run from my PC to my HDTV. Thank You.

I actually have both a Single Link DVI>HDMI and a Dual Link DVI>HDMI cable, both 15ft, at my disposal right now, so I'm just wondering which would be better to use.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 08-13-2007, 03:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
dual link is cable is only necessary if you're running like a 30" display at 2500x1600 resolution. at the 1920x1080 max res for hdtv it shouldnt matter. if the price diff isn't much tho i'd go with the dual link just in case.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 Old 08-13-2007, 09:18 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by |StarscreaM| View Post

I actually have both a Single Link DVI>HDMI and a Dual Link DVI>HDMI cable, both 15ft, at my disposal right now, so I'm just wondering which would be better to use.

Really. I didn't think there wasn't any such animal as HDMI is "single-link" by definition. Please provide a link to where you bought this cable. Thanks.
post #4 of 14 Old 08-13-2007, 09:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 123
I think the original poster may be confusing single link/dual link to DVI-A/I and DVI-D.. They are two different things. There ARE DVI-A/I>HDMI and DVD-D>HDMI adapters..
post #5 of 14 Old 08-14-2007, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapone View Post

I think the original poster may be confusing single link/dual link to DVI-A/I and DVI-D.. They are two different things. There ARE DVI-A/I>HDMI and DVD-D>HDMI adapters..

Since DVI-A isn't compatible in any way with HDMI you would need an adapter that processed the data (expensive and probably low quality). DVI-D and HDMI is basically the same thing so you only need to rearrange the pins.
DVI-I is of course both DVI-A and DVI-D, so it can easily be converted to HDMI if it's used with DVI-D.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hdmi
Quote:
The HDMI Specification has expanded to include three connectors, each intended for different markets.

The standard Type A HDMI connector has 19 pins, with bandwidth to support all SDTV, EDTV and HDTV modes and more. The plug outside dimensions are 13.9 mm wide by 4.45 mm high. Type A is electrically compatible with single-link DVI-D.

A higher resolution version called Type B is defined in HDMI 1.0. Type B has 29 pins (21.2 mm wide), allowing it to carry an expanded video channel for use with very high-resolution future displays, such as WQSXGA (3200x2048). Type B is electrically compatible with dual-link DVI-D, but is not in general use.

The Type C mini-connector is intended for portable devices. It is smaller than Type A (10.42 mm by 2.42 mm) but has the same 19-pin configuration.

So, a type B HDMI would support dual-link DVI.

However, as mentioned the use is limited. Very few TVs do support a resolution higher than 1920x1080p and that resolution can be achieved with Single Link DVI/HDMI-Type-A.
Correct me if I'm wrong but my understanding is that TVs and monitors featuring 1920x1080p/1920x1200 doesn't even support Dual Link - even though the original specs didn't support 1920x1080p.

So even if you were to use Dual Link DVI to a Type B HDMI adapter you would only be using "one link" anyway so you wouldn't gain anything at all - for TVs supporting 1080p or lower.
post #6 of 14 Old 08-14-2007, 03:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Both my cables are DVI-D, one single link, the other dual link. For those that were asking here are the Single and Dual Link DVI>HDMI cables I have.

Single Link

Dual Link

So from what I understand it should not make any difference for a 1080p TV whether you go with the Single or Dual Link? I've noticed that the longer DVI>HDMI cables on Amazon are typically dual link. I figured the reasoning for this is because the Dual Link produce a stronger signal that is able to carry across greater lengths. Is this not the case?

Would single/dual link be a concern at all when using a 15ft cable going to a Sharp LC-32D62U 1080p?
post #7 of 14 Old 08-14-2007, 04:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 123
I stand corrected if my initial assertion was incorrect, however, I must be skipping over something. The links you gave for Amazon, where does it say they are dual link or single link?? Am I missing something?
post #8 of 14 Old 08-14-2007, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
Quote:

I stand corrected if my initial assertion was incorrect, however, I must be skipping over something. The links you gave for Amazon, where does it say they are dual link or single link?? Am I missing something?

the dual link cable has more pins

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 14 Old 08-16-2007, 04:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcheng122 View Post

the dual link cable has more pins

Yep. That's how I was able to tell the difference, and by using this diagram.

So to re-iterate, when using a 15ft. cable to connect from my PC to 1080p HDTV, it should make no difference whether it's single or dual link?
post #10 of 14 Old 08-16-2007, 05:30 AM

Since those extra pins aren't connected to anything, then no, it shouldn't make any difference.
post #11 of 14 Old 08-16-2007, 12:43 PM

Single-Link DVI can carry up to 1920x1280 signals. 1080p is 1920x1080, which means that pretty much any HD signal that you likely to be able to find in the next 10 years, can be carried over Single-Link DVI.

You only need Dual-Link DVI to run above 1920x1280. My Dell 30" LCD computer monitor is 2560x1600 - that requires Dual-Link DVI. The comparable Apple 30" LCD computer monitor is the same resolution, and obviously also requires Dual-Link DVI.

Any HD "television set" is going to top-out at 1080p. And in fact, any piece of HD consumer electronics equipment is going to have "standard" HDMI connections, which is electronically identical to Single-Link DVI (HDMI adds extra pins for carrying audio, and HDMI has a different connector than DVI, but the video signal is identical - DVI-to-HDMI adapters are simply pass-thru, with no electronics).

--Don
post #12 of 14 Old 11-24-2007, 06:57 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
will a single link cable fit into a dual link input?
post #13 of 14 Old 08-04-2014, 07:56 AM

Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by |StarscreaM| View Post
Is there a difference between these two types of cables? I recently purchased an ATI HD2600 XT, and I plan to use a DVI to HDMI cable in order to hook it up to my TV. Will it make a difference in the quality or signal strength if the DVI end of the cable is Single vs. Dual Link? Are there any advantages to having Dual Link over Single Link? I will be using a 15ft cable to run from my PC to my HDTV. Thank You.<br><br>
I actually have both a Single Link DVI&gt;HDMI and a Dual Link DVI&gt;HDMI cable, both 15ft, at my disposal right now, so I'm just wondering which would be better to use.
We've been battling with issue of converting DVI-DL to HDMI 4K.

We've found a box that will actively convert from DVI-DL to HDMI 1.4 up to 4K resolutions which we've tested and works. Unfortunately the manufacturer wants a minimum order of 20 Units, we only need 8.

They are no more than £250 each. Let me know if anyone else is in need of such a converter and we could pool an order...
post #14 of 14 Old 08-04-2014, 11:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henri LK View Post
We've been battling with issue of converting DVI-DL to HDMI 4K.

We've found a box that will actively convert from DVI-DL to HDMI 1.4 up to 4K resolutions which we've tested and works. Unfortunately the manufacturer wants a minimum order of 20 Units, we only need 8.

They are no more than £250 each. Let me know if anyone else is in need of such a converter and we could pool an order...
You may be more successful if you start a dedicated thread.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page