Dell M2010 Remote - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 510 Old 10-16-2008, 12:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone any idea where I can get a RH1515 for my remote cant find one anywhere.Anyone got a spare for sale thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 510 Old 10-21-2008, 03:31 PM

Looks like there is a replacement for the RH1515. Seems people are having luck ordering part# yy993 from dell as the replacement for the RH1515.

A couple of people on hack a day confirm the new part number.

Im going to give them a call soon and place a order.

Edit: Placed an order for Part# yy993 direct from dell replacements. It was 14.95$ + shipping and tax to kirkland wa. Total was around 22$. Should be here next week.

-Derek
post #273 of 510 Old 10-23-2008, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-bledsoe View Post

Looks like there is a replacement for the RH1515. Seems people are having luck ordering part# yy993 from dell as the replacement for the RH1515.

A couple of people on hack a day confirm the new part number.

Im going to give them a call soon and place a order.

Edit: Placed an order for Part# yy993 direct from dell replacements. It was 14.95$ + shipping and tax to kirkland wa. Total was around 22$. Should be here next week.

-Derek

Just to understand, this is the USB dongle RF receiver? With this and the M2010 remote, you should have a working Gyration remote? Please report back on your success. Also, do you have a direct phone number, department or extension to call? Contacting Dell is usually a clusterf*** for me.
post #274 of 510 Old 10-26-2008, 05:38 AM

Liked: 11
Saw the New remote at the local Fry's for 179.99

Taking a closer look at it. Looks like the European version On the Del remote.
It has a series of buttons on the bottom of the remote.

If you ever cracked open a Del remote (US version). you will see there are 5 pads at the bottom of the board. S75 S63 S62 S61 S60

I wonder if these buttons will do ? Seems like the gyration site is down.
post #275 of 510 Old 10-26-2008, 05:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
i think those are for the euro teletext options that are standardized over there. Also the other MCE remotes tend to have this as well.

post #276 of 510 Old 10-27-2008, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nc88keyz View Post

i think those are for the euro teletext options that are standardized over there. Also the other MCE remotes tend to have this as well.

Yep. In fact, of all 5 different Gyration-based MCE remotes, only Dell's US version is missing those keys.

Marc

post #277 of 510 Old 10-29-2008, 11:07 AM

Has anyone had luck using the Dell M2010 remote with Vista?

I should rephrase the question. Has anyone gotten the playlist part working successfully under Vista?

It seems to work when you have a small number of songs, but then it craps out, and will just simple not work anymore. I suspect something to do with a difference between XP MCE and Vista.

I have 70,000+ mp3's and it just bombs.

I have not found any drivers for the new Gyration 4104 remote. Has anyone tried it yet?

Smalldog
post #278 of 510 Old 10-29-2008, 12:06 PM

Nope! I don't think it matters how many mp3's you have. Mine tanks on 1, I even tried another remote with no luck. There were some talk earlier on the thread that it might be AMD vs a INtel thing. I don't have any intel based pc's so no way for me to check. I am going to order the replacement receiver to see if that is the problem. But I am not hopeful. I also think that it may have to do with the wires we are not using, but I don't know for sure.
post #279 of 510 Old 10-30-2008, 10:51 AM

I had ordered 10 of the M2010 remotes off of e-bay, then ordered another 10or so of the RH515 receivers from Dell.

Dell's QA blows because 3 of them were bad. I called Dell, and they sent me more replacements, not asking for the other boards back. I wonder what the other wires we disconnected go to? I think I've read this thread a few times, and I do not recall seeing anything about them.

I'm going to stop by Fry's today and see if they have the Gyration Air Music remote and see if the software works better that the software supplied by Dell.

I wonder if people who shelled out the big bucks for the Dell system this remote came with have these problems?

Smalldog
post #280 of 510 Old 11-02-2008, 08:52 PM

I ordered a YY993 from Dell last week and they sent me the entire remote kit (CX071), for $22 shipped. This kit sells on Dell's site for $159 refurb and it includes the RF receiver, the IR receiver, the Dell Gyro Remote and new batteries. Anyone thinking of doing this hack should order the adapter first, you might just get the remote for free.
post #281 of 510 Old 11-03-2008, 12:04 PM

I just got a XPS 420 that came with this remote:

Can someone point me to some info on it? and would the reciever work with the premium remote?
post #282 of 510 Old 11-03-2008, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merfsiu View Post

I just got a XPS 420 that came with this remote:

Can someone point me to some info on it? and would the reciever work with the premium remote?

I strongly suspect that it would not work. The premium remote doesn't even work with other gyration receivers, and if that photo is to be believed, the 420 remote is from Philips.

Speaking of the premium remote, Crakavelli or anyone else... did you order the YY993 as a new item, or refurbished?

Thanks,

Marc

post #283 of 510 Old 11-03-2008, 01:49 PM

Liked: 12
Take a look at post 237 & 238 for the WirelessUsb Kits: (Everything you need to know..)

DELL XPS 420 WirelessUsb Remote by Phillips ( Cypress Mfg. )

POST 237:

CYPRESS WirelessUSB KITS

Worth a look....

http://www.onfulfillment.com/cypress...p=1005&sid=205

PDF LINK:

http://http://download.cypress.com.e...ta_tm__ 18.pdf

IR/RF Remote-Transceiver RDK For Windows Vista
CY4639

The CY4639 Infrared (IR) / Radio Frequency (RF) Transceiver Reference Design Kit for Windows Vista provides both PC OEMs and peripheral manufacturers a complete wireless input device solution. Whether your intention is to develop a simple IR receiver for a Windows Media Center remote control, or a complete cordless input device bundle - RF keyboard, mouse, and remote control - CY4639 is a highly integrated reference design that can quickly help get product to market.

Jointly developed with Philips (Koninklijke Philips Electronics), CY4639 is a Microsoft Transceiver Emulation Device compliant reference design and thus guarantees you the full Windows Media Center experience. Based on the flexible, programmable enCoRe III full-speed USB controller, CY4639's low component count design not only provides cost savings, but also significant space savings, enabling it to be built inside desktop chassis or notebooks where real estate may be a constraint.

Coupled with Cypress's proprietary WirelessUSB LP 2.4 GHz RF technology - with best-in-class interference immunity and ultra-low power consumption, this reference design enables the seamless upgrade of remote control communication from legacy infrared technology to RF, thus eliminating the need for line-of-sight whilst providing greater mobility and enhancing the overall user experience. Not only is CY4639 backward compatible with legacy media center IR remote controls, it also works in conjunction with the CY4672 reference design's wireless keyboard and mouse to enable one, single transceiver unit for all three input devices.

Together with the IR/RF transceiver module board, the CY4639 RDK comes with an RF remote control demo powered by Cypress's PRoC LP integrated flash controller and 2.4GHz radio transceiver system-on-chip.

Key Features:

"Certified For Windows Vista" (Windows Logo Program Premium)-ready device
"Microsoft Transceiver Emulation Device specification compliant
"USB plug 'n play - no new software drivers required
"IR receiving, learning and emitting capabilities for Windows Media Center systems
"Exceptionally minimal bill of materials which enables (i) a cost-optimized system and (ii) smaller
"form factor beanbags or modular solution to be embedded within PC
"Backward compatible with legacy media center IR remote controls and CY4672 RF keyboards and mice
"RF remote control demo unit to eliminate line-of-sight dependency
"2.4 GHz unlicensed ISM band for worldwide usage
"Up to 1 Mbps bidirectional wireless connectivity
AgileHID protocol, with hardware-assisted interference avoidance algorithms and advanced features (Dynamic Data Rate and Dynamic Power Amplifier) for robust operation in close proximity to 2.4 GHz wireless technologies like Wi-Fi(R) (including 802.11n), cordless phones and Bluetooth(R)
Frequency and DSSS PN code diversity to support the simultaneous co-location of hundreds of PRoC LP-based keyboards, mice and remote controls based on Cypress's proprietary 2.4GHz technology
Cypress's patented KISSBind buttonless-bind technology
Hardware Description:

This reference design kit includes:

IR/RF Microsoft (R) Windows Vista Transceiver Emulation Device Compliant Reference Board
Windows Media Center Remote Control with Enhanced RF functionality
2 x SmartHome Visible Stick-On IR Emitters
USB Cable
2 x AAA Batteries
CY4639 Quick Start Guide

~b3nz0n8

WESTY: TX-47F430s & LVM-47w1 & DELL m2010 Remote
PICS:
#1 Dell m2010 RH515
#2 WH
#3 (COLOR)
TX SERIES
post #284 of 510 Old 11-06-2008, 07:20 PM

I've got mine up and running.

Has anyone figured out how to make this remote work with iTunes? I was really hoping it would, based on the description of the Gyration version:
The back lit LCD screen makes it easy to navigate through your entire music library and take control of your iTunes or Windows Media Player content on your computer.

For music and radio, I really prefer iTunes over WMP or WMC, mainly because my WMP/WMC apps have mysteriously turned on some lame AGC or compressor-like audio processing that I cannot, for the life of me, get rid of.
post #285 of 510 Old 11-07-2008, 08:43 AM

just ordered the yy993 through the dell parts website. Let's hope it comes I already have the remote, just the receiver would be fine for $22 shipped. If it comes, I'm going to pick some up for my coworkers.
post #286 of 510 Old 11-07-2008, 06:38 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smalldog View Post

...Has anyone gotten the playlist part working successfully under Vista?

It seems to work when you have a small number of songs, but then it craps out, and will just simple not work anymore. I suspect something to do with a difference between XP MCE and Vista.

I have 70,000+ mp3's and it just bombs.

I have not found any drivers for the new Gyration 4104 remote. Has anyone tried it yet?

Smalldog

Quote:
Originally Posted by chepnut View Post

Nope! I don't think it matters how many mp3's you have. Mine tanks on 1, I even tried another remote with no luck. There were some talk earlier on the thread that it might be AMD vs a INtel thing. I don't have any intel based pc's so no way for me to check. I am going to order the replacement receiver to see if that is the problem. But I am not hopeful. I also think that it may have to do with the wires we are not using, but I don't know for sure.

My remote works fine with MCE 2005 (Intel).
The media library feature is the best feature out of this remote by far.
I would gladly pay full price for this remote if had to.

Make sure you have good batteries in, and make sure to replace the batteries before they die.
I had a few issues with the remote with weak batteries.
post #287 of 510 Old 11-10-2008, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectrumbx View Post

...I would gladly pay full price for this remote if had to...

Just an FYI... The reason I went through this little DIY exercise to save money is because I already have one Gyration Media Center remote, and the gyro cursor control part failed twice in two years. So, although I wanted a second remote, this time with the LCD, I elected not to pay full price for it.

The first time I had a failure, Gyration sent me a replacement, no problem, the second time they wanted a receipt, which I didn't have, but PC Alchemy (who had bundled the original remote with a media center PC, though that didn't appear on the receipt) sent me a new one for $10.

So, all is well at the moment, but I fully expect my new remote's gyro to fail at some point (maybe after the 11th drop to the floor by my 4 year-old or wife).
post #288 of 510 Old 11-13-2008, 05:34 AM

My original RH 515 **** the bed, so I ordered the YY993. It worked right out of the box didn't even need hack the wire harness that came with it. I used my old one that was hacked to an external usb cable.
post #289 of 510 Old 11-13-2008, 10:18 PM

I can also confirm that the YY993 works, just swapped it with my old reciever and re synced the remote. Still won't let me use the LCD to access my media but again I think its has something to do with the intel vs amd thing.
post #290 of 510 Old 11-13-2008, 11:46 PM
Advanced Member

I called Dell, and it seems I got the wrong department (sales) and they didn't know who to transfer me to. What number did you guys call?
post #291 of 510 Old 11-14-2008, 04:46 AM

Just Google " Dell Parts" and put in YY993 in search bar and it should pop up. Thats all I did
post #292 of 510 Old 11-16-2008, 07:45 AM

I ordered the YY993 online (the only one I could find was listed under refurbished) and unfortunately, it just was just a bare PCB and custom cable - not a complete kit with USB dongle. Those of you that got the kit, were you ordering it a different way?

Marc

post #293 of 510 Old 11-19-2008, 09:34 AM

Both receivers I have ordered the old one and the new one listed above came bare. Its just the receiver thats about the size of a AA battery and a little wire harness. You have to make your own connection, its not hard I attached mine to one of the usb headers on my mobo. Follow the wire guides earlier in this thread.

I ordered both of mine online

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/c...&cs=19&k=YY993
post #294 of 510 Old 11-19-2008, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chepnut View Post

Both receivers I have ordered the old one and the new one listed above came bare. Its just the receiver thats about the size of a AA battery and a little wire harness. You have to make your own connection, its not hard I attached mine to one of the usb headers on my mobo. Follow the wire guides earlier in this thread.

I ordered both of mine online

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/c...&cs=19&k=YY993

So if I already have an M2010 remote, all I need is this accessory kit to provide me a functioning Gyration remote with the gyro capabilities? I don't care about the LCD function, just want a cheap gyro remote with backlit capability. No hacking is required, other than connecting the wiring harness to a motherboard USB header?? TIA!
post #295 of 510 Old 11-19-2008, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bondisdead View Post

So if I already have an M2010 remote, all I need is this accessory kit to provide me a functioning Gyration remote with the gyro capabilities? I don't care about the LCD function, just want a cheap gyro remote with backlit capability. No hacking is required, other than connecting the wiring harness to a motherboard USB header?? TIA!

That is correct. The wiring harness is very short, however, and I don't know what kind of range you'd get if you put the receiver inside your case. I took the guts out of a dead mouse with a long USB cord and put the receiver in there.

Marc

post #296 of 510 Old 11-19-2008, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrandtx View Post

That is correct. The wiring harness is very short, however, and I don't know what kind of range you'd get if you put the receiver inside your case. I took the guts out of a dead mouse with a long USB cord and put the receiver in there.

Marc

Cool idea, great DIY solution!! I'm sure I've got one lying around. I guess I could also splice into a USB extender cord, granted it wouldn't be as clean as your solution. Did you get it to fit inside the mouse housing, or is it ghetto style, and all exposed? Guess it's time to put in my order with Dell. Thanks!
post #297 of 510 Old 11-19-2008, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bondisdead View Post

Cool idea, great DIY solution!! I'm sure I've got one lying around. I guess I could also splice into a USB extender cord, granted it wouldn't be as clean as your solution. Did you get it to fit inside the mouse housing, or is it ghetto style, and all exposed? Guess it's time to put in my order with Dell. Thanks!

The receiver PCB is so small that it easily fits in a standard size mouse housing. I put it in there so it would be somewhat protected. In fact, there is probably enough room for 3 or 4 of them in there if you really wanted to for some crazy reason.

The receiver for my remote (inside the mouse) is sitting on the floor behind the entertainment cabinet. A USB extension cord runs from there to the corner of the room where the Media PC is (along with the TV output cord from the media PC).

Marc

post #298 of 510 Old 11-19-2008, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrandtx View Post

The receiver PCB is so small that it easily fits in a standard size mouse housing. I put it in there so it would be somewhat protected. In fact, there is probably enough room for 3 or 4 of them in there if you really wanted to for some crazy reason.

The receiver for my remote (inside the mouse) is sitting on the floor behind the entertainment cabinet. A USB extension cord runs from there to the corner of the room where the Media PC is (along with the TV output cord from the media PC).

Marc

Thanks for the detailed description. It's really hard to get a sense of the size of that PCB by looking at the pictures. I think I will try and build something like you did, as I do recall having reception problems with my Gyration when is was plugged into the USB port on the back of my computer. Had to put it on a USB extender cord, hanging in front of my computer. I'm guessing there was too much RF interference back there.
post #299 of 510 Old 11-20-2008, 08:48 PM

* Red/Green to Black
* Yellow to Green
* White to White
* Black to Red

For Red/Green to black does this mean hook both the red and green to the black cable? I don't have a Red/Green cable on my adapter.
post #300 of 510 Old 11-21-2008, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member

So the LCd function does not work with an AMD setup.

sounds like a cool project, but I don't think I am saving much over it retail.

M2010 remote on ebay +/- $30 shipped
receiver on Dell $22.24 w/ shipping and tax

So It is running $53 + a hacked USB mouse (I may have around but still killing a functional mouse $5?) = $58 in all reality.

If the LCD portion works and can control the media on my XP Pro SP3 machine, I think it may be worth it as that gyration remote is around $200, but if not the I would think the one without the LCD off of Direction for $82 would be a better buy.

Granted it will cost an extra $24, but I would get a warranty with it as well as actual support, drivers and such.

They seem to be identical except for the LCD.

Still thinking that the regular little gyration might be a better buy or maybe the mouse. I could also program the play and such to the swipe macros. From what I have read, it doesn't do the best job replacing my onkyo receiver remote anyway.

or maybe the actual mouse?

Using an optical mouse now for most features. The range isn't the best and it works fine now the armrest of my microfiber chair, but I don't want to have it wear out my leather couches that I am picking up for Xmass.

HD DVD: 45 SD DVD: 350 BR: 120
PCs: 12, Mame Arcade:1, HD HTPC: 1, WHS Server: 1, HD A3: 2, HD-A30: 1

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page