Forum Jump: 

post #301 of 510 Old 11-21-2008, 10:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjmarchini View Post

So the LCd function does not work with an AMD setup.

sounds like a cool project, but I don't think I am saving much over it retail.

M2010 remote on ebay +/- $30 shipped
receiver on Dell $22.24 w/ shipping and tax

So It is running $53 + a hacked USB mouse (I may have around but still killing a functional mouse $5?) = $58 in all reality.

If the LCD portion works and can control the media on my XP Pro SP3 machine, I think it may be worth it as that gyration remote is around $200, but if not the I would think the one without the LCD off of Direction for $82 would be a better buy.

Granted it will cost an extra $24, but I would get a warranty with it as well as actual support, drivers and such.

They seem to be identical except for the LCD.

The biggest draw to me is that the M2010 remote is backlit. For a HTPC setup, you will have to hunt-and-peck in the dark for buttons on the Gyration, and some of the buttons are on the bottom (like DVD Menu).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 510 Old 11-21-2008, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bondisdead View Post

The biggest draw to me is that the M2010 remote is backlit. For a HTPC setup, you will have to hunt-and-peck in the dark for buttons on the Gyration, and some of the buttons are on the bottom (like DVD Menu).

Backlight is nice, but not enough to warrant an extra 24 for me personally. I usually memorize their locations through use eventually anyway. Same with my projector remote.

HD DVD: 45 SD DVD: 350 BR: 120
PCs: 12, Mame Arcade:1, HD HTPC: 1, WHS Server: 1, HD A3: 2, HD-A30: 1

post #303 of 510 Old 11-22-2008, 09:42 PM

I have an AMD setup and LCD works for me.
post #304 of 510 Old 11-25-2008, 01:49 AM

Guess it was my lucky day last week when I googled cx071 and came across some Dell parts suppliers. They were all linking to a place in Texas. After a quick phone call, I ended up buying both of their remaining kits for $45 shipped! They arrived today, and installed w/out any issues on a Vista 32-bit Ultimate HTPC. Downloaded and installed the Thomson software, plugged in the USB receiver, then pressed the connect button on the remote. I was good to go! Can't be happier (and luckier).
post #305 of 510 Old 12-02-2008, 07:35 PM

Liked: 11
Ordered 5 receiver and they all came in.

Now I just got to figure out a case to put them in lol

Now where did I see that DIY page on how to mount a thumb drive in Lego Brick

or maybe I will just slap a USB B connector at the end of it with some shrink tube.

I wonder if a Little lawn sprinkler riser tube will give me an interesting Industrial look. A Nice blue LED might be fun.

Thanks for the heads up on the receiver boards.

Maybe I should buy another 5 before they get hard to find once again..
post #306 of 510 Old 12-02-2008, 07:56 PM
Advanced Member

Ugg...looks like I'm one of the few that can't get the LCD to work. Keeps on saying "No Service" and tells me to enable the service icon in the windows tray...which is already running. Oh wells...the gyration bit is still coming in pretty useful.

BTW, I'm running an AMD 3800+ with Vista Premium if that matters.
post #307 of 510 Old 12-03-2008, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenerDiode View Post

Ugg...looks like I'm one of the few that can't get the LCD to work. Keeps on saying "No Service" and tells me to enable the service icon in the windows tray...which is already running. Oh wells...the gyration bit is still coming in pretty useful.

BTW, I'm running an AMD 3800+ with Vista Premium if that matters.

AMD issue? Vista Issue? Remote issue? Receiver issue?

On a Dragon soyo plus with AMD 1700 under XP ... works
On a ABIT pro 965 chip set with a E6600 under XP.. works.
On a p4 915 alienware box under media edition 2005.. Works.

I do have both the home made rh515 and the Dell complete kit they both seem to work.

You know it could be a fire wall, anti virus or anti spyware issue preventing two way communication.

Have you tried to change usb ports? From the back to the front?

Do you have a 2.4 ghz phone system in your house? that might cause issues.

I hope you can work it out.
post #308 of 510 Old 12-03-2008, 03:39 PM

I am having a same problem on my vista machine. No service when try to use lcd. other things work fine. I am using vista ultimate with AMD 6000+. If anyone has a solution please let us know.

Thanks
post #309 of 510 Old 12-03-2008, 06:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha-tron View Post

AMD issue? Vista Issue? Remote issue? Receiver issue?

On a Dragon soyo plus with AMD 1700 under XP ... works
On a ABIT pro 965 chip set with a E6600 under XP.. works.
On a p4 915 alienware box under media edition 2005.. Works.

I do have both the home made rh515 and the Dell complete kit they both seem to work.

You know it could be a fire wall, anti virus or anti spyware issue preventing two way communication.

Have you tried to change usb ports? From the back to the front?

Do you have a 2.4 ghz phone system in your house? that might cause issues.

I hope you can work it out.

I'm beginning to suspect it's a Vista issue. There are two remotes out there...WJ151 that was originally made for MCE2005 and a newer RY619 (I think that's the number) that was marketed for Vista. I got the WJ151, but they seem to be pretty much identical from the pics.

I haven't tried turning off firewall...that may be my next step. The weird thing is, if I take the batteries out and put it back in, I can access the music lcd function for about 2 or 3 clicks before it freezes and gives me the System error. Seems like others are having that problem too.
post #310 of 510 Old 12-03-2008, 06:51 PM

Some programs require administrator privileges to run properly run vista.

I wonder if this is the case.
post #311 of 510 Old 12-04-2008, 01:27 AM

The sprinkler riser does work as a case for the RH515

But

Some of the little problems are

The USB b connector is a bit bigger the the 1/2 riser.
I used a sharp chisel to make 4 cuts to slide the USB B connector in.

The USB B connector I use was right angles. The backing of the connector was removed and the pins in the back where straighten out.

I used a bevel faucet washer 1/4L to cap the end. It's got a nice hole for a LED. It all seems to press fit together. Press the led first.

post #312 of 510 Old 12-04-2008, 05:34 PM

Hi everyone,

I've got the same LCD connection problem but with a silly solution.

I purchased the remote on ebay and YY993 controller from dell, rewired the controller to a usb plug, everything was plug and play. But I wanted the screen too, and it was the reason for me to purchase this set. I set up the driver from dell site (R142872) and voila!! working perfect without any kind of delay or anything. I was in the office and could not wait to get home and try it on my htpc.

Here starts the problems, I set up the same driver on htpc but lcd responds for 2 seconds and when I try to press a button it hangs and loses connection. After trying to find a solution for a long time I decided to try it again on my laptop with out chance. It was not working on the laptop either.

I spent many more hours installing different versions reading forums etc. but could not find a solution. So I started thinking where the problem could be its the same !*$# laptop, and it was working the only difference is I was in the office, I even thought of possible interference with other equipment but at last I found the difference. I was using an HP Quickdock in the office.

Sooo, I pluged my laptop to the HP docking station at home and plugged the receiver there and LCD started working flawlessly.

I don't really know if this will help us solve the problem at all but at least it puts a light on. I now know that its a probable USB issue. But what kind of an issue can USB cause.

I'll buy a USB hub asap to try it because I think HP quickdock's USB should not be any different than an ordinary USB hub.

Hope this helps
post #313 of 510 Old 12-04-2008, 06:47 PM

Your right not all usb port are the same. I had a FTA USB reciever once. My solution was a NEC base USB port. I had issues With SiS Usb and Via USb chips. I wonder if the screen problem is related. I still have my old NEC USB card. Now If only make it fail. Common theme is Vista and an AMD computer. I wonder if I can install vista on an old 1700XP hmm.

Will report my finding after a few days.
post #314 of 510 Old 12-04-2008, 07:25 PM

My Laptop is AMD HP tx2000
HTPC Also has AMD 3000+ cpu with old ati 9700 pro graphics

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecanga View Post

Hi everyone,

I've got the same LCD connection problem but with a silly solution.

post #315 of 510 Old 12-05-2008, 07:01 PM

Does anyone know where I can purchase the receiver part? I've looked at Dell and tried to Google it, but no success. Any help.
post #316 of 510 Old 12-05-2008, 07:41 PM

I tried my going through the same website but it's not there anymore.
perhaps dell has change the part number again?
post #317 of 510 Old 12-06-2008, 10:40 AM

does anyone know if RH-5-15.5K-1 is the same part number? I found one, but not sure if its the same.
post #318 of 510 Old 12-08-2008, 10:59 PM

I know this is tacky to ask, but does anyone have a spare working receiver? I'm looking for the RH515/YY993/CX071/UH014 or equivalent. It only has to be the card, I can take care of the USB cord and soldering. If so, please PM me asap.

Thanks in advance!
post #319 of 510 Old 12-09-2008, 01:56 PM

I really need help in finding the parts for a receiver. Does anyone know where I can get one? any help? anyone? anyone?
post #320 of 510 Old 12-10-2008, 10:53 AM

xanderbradford and gtguy20, my suggestion is to just hold tight. There was a time like this before... where parts went scarce. Eventually someone discovered another source and/or part number. Hopefully that will happen again.

Marc

post #321 of 510 Old 12-15-2008, 03:18 PM

On the Canadian dell site
their part numbers are.

http://accessories.dell.com/sna/prod...pub&sku=YY993#

TH221

ASSY,CBL,I/O,PRP,USB,GNL
UH014

CRD,WRLES,PRP,USB,EMPDC,RMT5

I don't know if these are the new or old part numbers but I hope it helps.
post #322 of 510 Old 12-15-2008, 05:08 PM

unfortunately I don't see where to buy it, or the price. I will try to call tomorrow.
post #323 of 510 Old 12-15-2008, 07:46 PM

Liked: 12
Link: http://www.designdirectory.com/publi...&order_no=6&t=

Website Product Link: http://www.d2m-inc.com/cs_gyration.html

Gyration - Dell Premium Remote Control

"Utilizing Gyration's mems-based gyration technology, D2M designed the full mechanical packaging of the Dell Premium Remote Control. The Premium Remote Control, developed by Gyration for Dell, provides a satisfying user interface that wirelessly communicates with the XPS M2010 Media Mogul media system while also functioning as a mouse. Our mechanical team brought their exceptional expertise in surface modeling and injection molded design to create quick-turn CES 2006 prototypes.
The Dell Premium Remote Control functions similarly to Nintendo's Wii™ controller with gyration technology. A backlit LCD display accompanies a user interface that facilitates control over music, video, and library features of the Windows XP Media Center."

Some design info and a view of the prototype

~b3nz0n8

WESTY: TX-47F430s & LVM-47w1 & DELL m2010 Remote
PICS:
#1 Dell m2010 RH515
#2 WH
#3 (COLOR)
TX SERIES
post #324 of 510 Old 12-15-2008, 11:26 PM

Dang, I wish I had seen this thread a bit earlier. I got in on the remote over the summer and just rediscovered it in my closet yesterday... I'll be excited to see anyone that finds another link to the receiver. May I ask what your purpose of having 10 Alpha-ton? Do you resell them?
post #325 of 510 Old 12-16-2008, 03:24 AM

Yes I do have ten remotes
But I have 5 only receivers.

Why so many you may ask?
Simple answer friends.

Long answer...

I normally keep one for a spare.
Nothing worse then having a nephew dropping your favorite remote and having no spare.

I use the remote with xp media center on a btx Intel board system to play DVDs I converted to Dvix format. Each 500 gig hard drive holds about 400 movies. The Media Edition BTX Has 6 Sata ports and One IDE Port. I boot off the IDE and Have the DVD drive Off the IDE port. This leave the sata port free to hold my dvd collection. I can hold about 2400 movies on that system.
Using 500 gig hard drives.

Most of my friends Have these large collection of DVD taking up space on their walls. This is a Nice solution for them. They can leave their DVDs in boxes instead of on the shelf.

So what happen to the extra ones I get? My friends get them.
So they can build the same thing I am using.

I have tried to build a Clone receiver using an atmel But it cost too much to make when you can buy the RH515 boards cheap when you can get them.
For what dell charges for the RH515 I can not buy the parts cheap enough or get the cypress programmer.

So If you want one the best bet is to wait until someone comes up with the new part number or someone can clone these cheaply.
post #326 of 510 Old 12-17-2008, 12:21 PM

Quote:

But I have 5 only receivers.

Why so many you may ask?
Simple answer friends.

Long answer...

I normally keep one for a spare.
Nothing worse then having a nephew dropping your favorite remote and having no spare.

I use the remote with xp media center on a btx Intel board system to play DVDs I converted to Dvix format. Each 500 gig hard drive holds about 400 movies. The Media Edition BTX Has 6 Sata ports and One IDE Port. I boot off the IDE and Have the DVD drive Off the IDE port. This leave the sata port free to hold my dvd collection. I can hold about 2400 movies on that system.

Most of my friends Have these large collection of DVD taking up space on their walls. This is a Nice solution for them. They can leave their DVDs in boxes instead of on the shelf.

So what happen to the extra ones I get? My friends get them.
So they can build the same thing I am using.

I have tried to build a Clone receiver using an atmel But it cost too much to make when you can buy the RH515 boards cheap when you can get them.
For what dell charges for the RH515 I can not buy the parts cheap enough or get the cypress programmer.

So If you want one the best bet is to wait until someone comes up with the new part number or someone can clone these cheaply.

What type of programmer are we talking about? Also, do you have the source code? If you happen to have an itemized list/ what is needed to be done, I have access to some programmers, although I don't know what we're talking about here.
post #327 of 510 Old 12-17-2008, 01:24 PM

Quote:

That's about 1.1GB per DVD! What sort of quality is that, compared to ripping the movie in full-resolution? I've been unsatisifed with CloneDVDs algorithm for going from dual-sided disc to single-sided, so cannot imagine what DivX looks like! ;-) But maybe it's a good algorithm for compression.
post #328 of 510 Old 12-17-2008, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas_d View Post

What type of programmer are we talking about? Also, do you have the source code? If you happen to have an itemized list/ what is needed to be done, I have access to some programmers, although I don't know what we're talking about here.

The USB dongle is in two part one is the send and receiver chip. The 2nd is the USB micro control chip. This is programmed with the HiD code. (HiD = Human interface Device ) The chip is a CY7c63743 that needs to be programmed to know what it is and what ports to open up. The Code to program follows the Standard HiD interface. I have been told I can use anyone's USB micro controller to get the same results. I attempted to use and atmel since there has been some success in having converting it into a Hid Mouse and a HiD keyboard and a Hid Joystick and the device to program the that chip can be made out of a printer port off a PC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bondisdead View Post

That's about 1.1GB per DVD! What sort of quality is that, compared to ripping the movie in full-resolution? I've been unsatisifed with CloneDVDs algorithm for going from dual-sided disc to single-sided, so cannot imagine what DivX looks like! ;-) But maybe it's a good algorithm for compression.

I know this is a Off topic that why I combine the two replies.

DVD uses meg2 compression. All dvd players know and understand How to read a meg2 DVD. When compressing a Meg2 Movie down from 2 layer to one layer, Something has to give Less frames Per minute, Less Picture quality, Less features ( Extras On a DVD or other languages etc etc ).

Divx is Not meg2. It's an Meg4 compression. There are a limited amount of stand alone players that play Meg4. Now if you get rid of the extras off an dvd movie. Getting a movie down to 2 gig without lost of quality using meg4 compression is not hard. by adjusting the frame rate you can reduce a movie down even smaller. The biggest movie I have is 2.1 gigs the smallest is 800 megs (Cartoon compress very well). Typically my movies come out to 1.2 gigs . I hope this clears things up.

If you have any more question. perhaps a new thread is order or a private message.
post #329 of 510 Old 12-19-2008, 01:28 PM

I might be able to get some of the cx071 kits. Wish it were cheaper, but I'm looking at $75. I think these parts supplier's are catching on to the potential demand for them! ;-) If anybody is interested in one, PM me. I'm hoping to place an order in the next few days. My cost, plus shipping.
post #330 of 510 Old 12-20-2008, 02:51 PM

Hey everyone!

I just ordered a yy993 straight from dell! $20 shipped...
It did not appear dell was selling these anymore because it was not listed on their website - I started a chat will a dell assistant and asked if they had stock of the item...
To my surprise they said they did and I went ahead and ordered one.... Lets see if I get the yy993 or the full CX071 kit

If anyone is looking for a yy993 - just start a chat with dell....

EDIT: Has anyone tried using the drivers for this on 64bit Vista??
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page