Dell M2010 Remote - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 510 Old 03-08-2009, 07:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok just ordered remote on eBay "Dell WJ151 XPS M2010 Premium Remote Control
Item# 370158158560 $24.99 USD" as mentioned above (NPuter's link) and then from Dell,
"YY993 1 Assembly,Card,Wireless Proprietary,Input/Output Greenland Platform"
However, the nice lady at Dell used part RH515 to find it in the system. 20.98 shipped.
Will post shortly on Vista and Windows7 results. using driver R166095.exe.

Don't let the smoke out.
My Theater setup: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...&postcount=373
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 510 Old 03-08-2009, 08:16 PM

That is in fact the description on my Dell invoice.

Don't let the smoke out.
post #363 of 510 Old 03-14-2009, 03:26 PM

I have the remote installed on a Windows 7 64 bit box. I had tried everything to get the triple tap working (running the services, tray app in compatibility mode... installing the gyration tripletap fix for 64 bit systems, etc etc) and couldn't get it working. I started doing a little research into hooking into the low level keyboard driver through .net and was able to write a little application that fixed my problem. I'm now able to triple tap. It also works on my friends 32 bit box. If you're looking to give it a try or know the right way to fix it, shoot me a message please. It's a very cool remote especially for the price and I am now 100% satisfied with it.

Thanks,

Brian
post #364 of 510 Old 03-15-2009, 12:08 AM

I am a disabled Veteran and I bought this remote for my Dell XPS M2010. I installed Vista Ultimate 64 bit on my M2010 and it will not work. If anyone sends me a prepaid mailer they can have this remote for free. I wish it would have worked for me. My e-mail don16140@fsmail.net
post #365 of 510 Old 03-17-2009, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonpctech View Post

Ok just ordered remote on eBay "Dell WJ151 XPS M2010 Premium Remote Control
Item# 370158158560 $24.99 USD" as mentioned above (NPuter's link) and then from Dell,
"YY993 1 Assembly,Card,Wireless Proprietary,Input/Output Greenland Platform"
However, the nice lady at Dell used part RH515 to find it in the system. 20.98 shipped.
Will post shortly on Vista and Windows7 results. using driver R166095.exe.

Well been using it for a few days now in Windows7 and love it but have the lcd issue, lcd works for about 2 seconds then disconnects from app. Seems the cure is XP oh well. However BigBri41's triple tap patch is working just fine he should post it. I used 2 drivers R142872.exe (application for RF) & R166095.exe (Gyration mouse) found in the thread. For the record I attempted all the Windows compatibility modes and reinstalling multiple times. In hope someone has a working LCD fix for Vista and up.

Don't let the smoke out.
post #366 of 510 Old 03-19-2009, 09:19 AM

Alright. Here's what I did to get the remote to work better for me in 64bit windows 7. Keep in mind that my lcd still behaves kind of shady at times but the majority of the time it works okay. It's a little involved, but maybe it will help out a little. Use the latest driver (the v4 one). Don't install it in compatibility mode (doesn't really seem to help). Stop the service from the driver icon in the task tray. Open windows media player (with media center closed). Go into your library manager and delete all directories that are monitored. Close windows media player. Kill all dell premium remote processes in task manager (wmpremote*.exe wmptrayproxy.exe). Kill the wmplayer.exe process in task manager if it is still running (the dell driver runs one of these in the background to gather your library from).

Delete everything in this folder:
C:\\Users\\"whatever your login id is"\\AppData\\Local\\Microsoft\\Media Player

Open media player and add the folders to your library that you want monitored (while keeping the directory above opened).

This is the part with no definitive time span. It depends on how large your library is. Let windows media center rebuild your library database. you'll see the files in that folder getting larger as it does this. Do the best you can to let it finish, because I think the problem with the remote is that it locks the database sometimes, then media center can't modify it. I believe it reaches a specific timeout value because it cant get the library to display and then displays the application service not running error message. Once the library is finished building, go ahead and restart the computer and let the services start up normally. This made it much more reliable for me, but I believe there are bugs in dells driver code. For instance, if for some reason, I am browsing through options on the lcd and in the middle of this, I go out of range, I think this condition isn't handled correctly by the driver. It only takes a couple of these to kill the app for me. I then have to kill the wmplayer.exe that the remote is running in the background and cross my fingers that it will work correctly.

One more note (that only applies to 64bit users. I wasn't happy that the remote was spawning the 32 bit version of windows media player, so i went under program files (x86) and renamed the windows media player directory to windows media player backup. I then copied the contents of the program files "64 bit" directories windows media player to prog files (x86)\\windows media player. the remote gets the library fine from this 64bit process.

I guess I might as well add one more note...

I came home one day and the remote wasn't working well at all (lcd wise) and noticed that somehow itunes ended up on my box (girlfriend had just gotten her iphone). This took the remote completelly down for me. If you are having problems and have done the above, I recommend removing any software that might be locking your library for whatever reason.

Hope this helps,

Brian

P.S. I've attached the latest version of the tripletapfix to this post. just rename it from.txt to .exe

TripleTapFix.txt 32k . file
post #367 of 510 Old 03-27-2009, 08:04 AM

I was able to buy the YY993 (refurb) board online from the Dell Business & Education Outlet. It's listed at $14.99 + tax + $5.99 shipping. My total was $22.55 shipped.

You are here: USA > Dell Outlet Business & Education > Accessories > Search: 'YY993'

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/c...&cs=28&k=YY993
post #368 of 510 Old 04-02-2009, 09:27 AM

Howdy all,

Not as inexpensive as the Dell remote, but possibly less work... the GYR4101 (Gyration branded Air remote that just like the Dell remote) is onsale at Buy.com for $76:

http://www.buy.com/prod/lcd-remote-v...207964449.html

They have an ebay outlet as well, which is how I found the sale:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=170265669628

Marc

post #369 of 510 Old 04-02-2009, 09:37 AM

wow...nice find. I just invested $58 between refurbed card and well used ebay remote. Would have definately been worth the extra $18 for a new remote, warranty, and less work.
post #370 of 510 Old 04-02-2009, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrandtx View Post

Howdy all,

Not as inexpensive as the Dell remote, but possibly less work... the GYR4101 (Gyration branded Air remote that just like the Dell remote) is onsale at Buy.com for $76:

http://www.buy.com/prod/lcd-remote-v...207964449.html

They have an ebay outlet as well, which is how I found the sale:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=170265669628

Marc

Very nice find! Use Microsoft Live Search CashBack, and get another 13% back!
post #371 of 510 Old 04-19-2009, 11:39 AM

Liked: 11
I just wanted to comment on my experience. After reading this thread I went off and purchased the remote and receiver. I got the remote from e-bay and the receiver refurbished (looks new) from the Dell outlet site (Part: YY993). I didn't have to call or chat with anyone. I just added it to the shopping cart, paid, and it showed up two days later.

Motivation: so, I think the gyration branded version looks ugly with the glittery gold paint, although the function keys for browser and e-mail would have been nice, but are not necessary. Also, this was a touch cheaper, so if you don't mind the look of it, or are not comfortable with splicing smallish wires, go with the Gyration branded version. Also, I highly recommend the gyration RF keyboard. Now, the keyboard will not work with the Dell receiver, and I don't know if they sell it seperately (ie. without the mouse). I already had a mouse+keyboard and I just replaced the mouse and my MCE remote with this Dell beauty.

So, I've been using gyration remotes for 4 years and I love them. I noticed that the cable the receiver comes with is a straight-through cable with identical ends, so if you cut it in half, you have two chances to splice your usb adapter to it. Now, initially, I intended on putting it inside my computer case for neatness. I figured, since Dell designed it for that, I'll start with the assumtion that it will work for me too. Well, it worked great, until I put the aluminum cover on. It all worked flawlessly from 40 feet (as far away as I could get going through two partial walls and a couch) without the cover. With the cover, the range was flakey at 8 feet. To test it, I was doing circles with the mouse pointer. I consider it unacceptable if it is anything but perfectly smooth. So, I found a compact flash card case that fit perfectly, with a little snipping. I hot glued the corners of the case and voila! External enclosure (see picture 1). I dangled it on the inside of my entertainment center door (see picture 3) and it's range was flawless until about 30 feet away!

Now, I spliced an internal USB plug to the receiver (with the original intent of using it internally). WARNING! The wire colors on the Dell Receiver are Non-standard! There is a mapping shown here. Note red/green means connect both colors, not either/or. Also, I didn't use the thick black wire on the usb header, only the thin one. I think the thick one is for the grounding of the chassis. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Then, I got an adapter to give me a standard USB plug. I would recommend just spicing on a USB plug from an old device (although somtimes the wires can be tiny). I am using this and an internal USB 5 pin header with wires. I also had to use a USB extension to get it where I wanted it. Ideally, I could have just gotten a long USB cable and directly splced it. That's what I would recommend to anyone else trying this.

Anyway, it works great. When I started Vista x64 Home Premium, the drivers were all downloaded and installed from Micorosft automatically. To get the lcd display on the remote to work, that DID require the Dell installer, which appears to have just installed the tray icon based application and this worked right away as well with the push of the connection button on the remote (the one with the waves). One thing I didn't see anyone mention is that the media center and mouse functionality are all RF based, not just the mouse. And the responsiveness to button presses is great! And it has IR learning as well to turn off you TV or receiver.

Anyway, I love it. Everything worked perfectly. Here are some pics (note: the light on the receiver flashes when it is receiving RF):

Also, I don't have any wierd timeout wierdness or any wierdness for that matter. It is working flawlessly. Although, it's only been working for 2 days now. And, as soon as Windows7 releases the RC to MSDN, I will be testing it. Although, I suspect that since it works with Vista, Win7 should be fine.

Good luck to anyone else that tries this.

-Valkyrie-MT
post #372 of 510 Old 04-19-2009, 07:22 PM

Perhaps one of the most capable and attractive Media Center Remote Controls today is one that was only available with the Dell XPS M2010 computer released in 2007. This post summarizes how to get it to work with any PC with a USB port.

Components needed:
  • Remote Control - Dell Part Number WJ151

• RF Remote Receiver - Dell Part Number YY993
    Can be obtained from Dell Outlet

• Type A USB plug for splicing (WARNING - see non-standard wiring below)

Considerations:

This remote functions as a mouse and Media Center remote control in one. All the mouse and Media Center functions communicate through RF (radio-frequency), so there is no line-of sight needed. You don't need to point the remote at the receiver at all. It can work from as far away as 40 feet and may work through walls (although it should be avoided for best results). In addition, the remote has the ability to act as a standard IR (infrared) remote control to control TV power and volume+mute buttons. Also, and perhaps most importantly, this remote is now available through retail sources as the Gyration Air Music Remote Model: GYR4101US. Noted differences between the Dell and Gyration branded remotes: Dell's does not have quick launch buttons at the bottom. Also, Dell's is a sleek black and silver color. Also, the Dell remote uses an RF receiver that appears to be incompatible with Gyration's other products. A nice summary of the Gyration based remotes is shown here: http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Gyration-based_MCE_Remotes

Wiring - RF Receiver to USB (splice a USB plug onto the RF Receiver) thanks BENZONATE:
  • Red and Green to USB Black (if there are two, use the skinny one)
  • Yellow to USB Green
  • White to USB White
  • Black to USB Red

Drivers (thanks mrandtx):

Vista Drivers are automatically downloaded from Microsoft Update (works with 64-bit)
Windows7 RC1 (build 7100) 32-bit and 64-bit work perfectly with drivers automatically detected and installed with Windows.
Windows Software for the LCD display to Navigate your Music Library can be downloaded from Dell here: http://ftp.us.dell.com/video/R166095.EXE
Linux information can be found here: http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Gyration-based_MCE_Remotes

Doumentation (thanks mrandtx):
Other Images:

Also, I think I've noticed that the remotes for Vista have a circular Green button (shown above) and older versions for Media Center 2005 have a more rectangular Green button. I think it was just a change in branding from Microsoft. The information is mixed though as to whether there is a difference in model numbers...

Note: Many people have contributed to this solution over the last two years. Their hard work has made it a slam dunk for people like me to come in and enjoy the resuts of their work. Thanks all of you!

The following is my original summary of my experience/thoughts from assembly:
Quote:

I got the remote from e-bay and the receiver refurbished (looks new) from the Dell outlet site (Part: YY993). I didn't have to call or chat with anyone. I just added it to the shopping cart, paid, and it showed up two days later.

Motivation: so, I think the gyration branded version looks ugly with the glittery gold paint, although the function keys for browser and e-mail would have been nice, but are not necessary. Also, this was a touch cheaper, so if you don't mind the look of it, or are not comfortable with splicing smallish wires, go with the Gyration branded version. Also, I highly recommend the gyration RF keyboard. Now, the keyboard will not work with the Dell receiver, and I don't know if they sell it seperately (ie. without the mouse). I already had a mouse+keyboard and I just replaced the mouse and my MCE remote with this Dell beauty.

So, I've been using gyration remotes for 4 years and I love them. I noticed that the cable the receiver comes with is a straight-through cable with identical ends, so if you cut it in half, you have two chances to splice your usb adapter to it. Now, initially, I intended on putting it inside my computer case for neatness. I figured, since Dell designed it for that, I'll start with the assumtion that it will work for me too. Well, it worked great, until I put the aluminum cover on. It all worked flawlessly from 40 feet (as far away as I could get going through two partial walls and a couch) without the cover. With the cover, the range was flakey at 8 feet. To test it, I was doing circles with the mouse pointer. I consider it unacceptable if it is anything but perfectly smooth. So, I found a compact flash card case that fit perfectly, with a little snipping. I hot glued the corners of the case and voila! External enclosure (see picture 1). I dangled it on the inside of my entertainment center door (see picture 3) and it's range was flawless until about 30 feet away!

Now, I spliced an internal USB plug to the receiver (with the original intent of using it internally). WARNING! The wire colors on the Dell Receiver are Non-standard! There is a mapping shown here. Note red/green means connect both colors, not either/or. Also, I didn't use the thick black wire on the usb header, only the thin one. I think the thick one is for the grounding of the chassis. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Then, I got an adapter to give me a standard USB plug. I would recommend just spicing on a USB plug from an old device (although somtimes the wires can be tiny). I am using this and an internal USB 5 pin header with wires. I also had to use a USB extension to get it where I wanted it. Ideally, I could have just gotten a long USB cable and directly splced it. That's what I would recommend to anyone else trying this.

Anyway, it works great. When I started Vista x64 Home Premium, the drivers were all downloaded and installed from Micorosft automatically. To get the lcd display on the remote to work, that DID require the Dell installer, which appears to have just installed the tray icon based application and this worked right away as well with the push of the connection button on the remote (the one with the waves). One thing I didn't see anyone mention is that the media center and mouse functionality are all RF based, not just the mouse. And the responsiveness to button presses is great! And it has IR learning as well to turn off you TV or receiver.

Anyway, I love it. Everything worked perfectly. Here are some pics (note: the light on the receiver flashes when it is receiving RF):

Also, I don't have any wierd timeout wierdness or any wierdness for that matter. It is working flawlessly. Although, it's only been working for 2 days now. And, as soon as Windows7 releases the RC to MSDN, I will be testing it. Although, I suspect that since it works with Vista, Win7 should be fine.

Good luck to anyone else that tries this.

-Valkyrie-MT

post #373 of 510 Old 04-21-2009, 12:36 AM

Hi
I bought the remote control Dell WJ151 XPS M2010 Premium Remote Control and trying to make it it work with xps m1730, the thing is it came with infrared reciver and its not a usb, is there any 1 to make it work with the infrared reciver or should i buy the RF reciever

the infrared reciver adapter looks like the 1 for the speakers or microphones.
cheers
post #374 of 510 Old 04-21-2009, 03:16 AM

You need to buy the USB receiver that is the bad news .
But they are available once again.

If you read this thread there are some wonderful help on how to get your remote working.

good luck
post #375 of 510 Old 04-24-2009, 10:17 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
Anyone knows how to get this remote to work with iTunes?

Or maybe I should look into exporting my iTunes playlists to Media Player.
post #376 of 510 Old 04-28-2009, 10:26 AM

Hi Guys!

i just got my E-Bay bought Delll Remote, but i just cant get the YY993/RH515 from Dell, not for lack of trying but the simple fact im a sweede living in sweden, so if someone wants to make a buck or a good deed.. you pick

Basicaly i want to buy a YY993/RH515 and get it shiped to sweden, paying with Payal or your favourite method. please Mail me at nicke.schwarz@gmail.com if you got one laying around, please please please

/Nic
post #377 of 510 Old 04-28-2009, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Nick,

I ordered 2 to save on shipping with my last order I live in NC on the coast Give me a few days to work through some stuff and I can get you a quote Send me your address in the mean time and we can look into the options. I dont want to make anything significant. Just help someone out with a very cool HTPC remote.

Send me your details via pm. OK.

i have a ton of trade references at www.heatware.com id 64 gr8snakee i think

post #378 of 510 Old 06-11-2009, 03:20 AM

Hi Guys! Again!

i just got my E-Bay bought Delll Remote, but i just cant get the YY993/RH515 from Dell, not for lack of trying but the simple fact im a sweede living in sweden, so if someone wants to make a buck or a good deed.. you pick

Basicaly i want to buy a YY993/RH515 and get it shiped to sweden, paying with Payal or your favourite method. please Mail me at nicke.schwarz@gmail.com if you got one laying around, please please please

/Nic
post #379 of 510 Old 06-12-2009, 05:57 AM

I installed BigBri41's tripletap patch which is currently running and showing in my system tray but I cant get alphabets to show up. What do I do to fix this?
post #380 of 510 Old 08-02-2009, 05:56 AM

YY993

does anyone know where to buy the dongle instead of the pcb (YY993) board?
post #381 of 510 Old 08-03-2009, 03:04 PM

I have a Logitech 890 for remote control. What would be the best IR or RF usb receiver to pair with my remote to work on Vista Windows Media Center?

thank guys,
post #382 of 510 Old 08-19-2009, 10:53 AM

Does the LCD support Japanese, Chinese and Korean charactor set? TIA
post #383 of 510 Old 09-23-2009, 01:42 PM

Wow! So, it seems that Dell has upped the price on the YY993 to $159. $15 to $160? I went round and round with sales peeps over there today. No luck. What blows my mind is that if you purchased the XPS M2010 system from them and now want to add the remote (WJ151 or RY496) that DID come included if you originally ordered it with Vista installed, you can't do it. They would install the RH515 internally when they included the remote but now they can't provide an upgrade solution for users that are interested after the fact. Boo...

Anyone got a RH515 or YY993 they want to get rid of? :-)

Thx,
Mike
post #384 of 510 Old 09-23-2009, 01:50 PM

cannot post a link now, but seller has the complete kit with remote & USB dongle for $60.
post #385 of 510 Old 09-23-2009, 03:56 PM

Thanks, found the seller.

Do you think this will work out of the box? I only ask because I know the YY993 had to be rewired if I read correctly...

Thx,
Mike
post #386 of 510 Old 09-24-2009, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyJinPhx View Post

Thanks, found the seller.

Do you think this will work out of the box? I only ask because I know the YY993 had to be rewired if I read correctly...

Thx,
Mike

The YY993 had to be rewired because it used a USB receiver with a non-standard cable designed to go inside the M2010 system. The kits on ebay are designed for for external plug-and-play(*) and include a USB dongle that plugs straight into any USB socket... no rewiring necessary.

(*) You may still need to install the drivers

Marc

post #387 of 510 Old 09-24-2009, 09:34 AM

I have one of these kits, and it worked with Windows 7 w/out any drivers. No hacking required. Just plug in the USB receiver, and it should work. I'd recommend using a USB extender cable, for better reception. I was getting interference when it was plugged into the back of my PC. There is some software that you can install, if required. I think the software is posted somewhere in this thread, or at least referenced here.
post #388 of 510 Old 09-24-2009, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
the software mentioned here is only for the media library from remote access.

I thought about getting rid of my remote and receiver for a long time then said well... I went through all this trouble to get it so let me stick to it and try it.... and I have used it twice in the past several months lol.
post #389 of 510 Old 10-14-2009, 08:34 AM

just found some on ebay
complete kit
code is:260472390627
post #390 of 510 Old 10-14-2009, 09:00 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkvader71 View Post

just found some on ebay
complete kit
code is:260472390627

Anyone know what the p/n is for the USB receiver that comes with those kits, and whether it's available separately? I've already got a bunch of these remotes.

Shawn
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page