Dell M2010 Remote - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 510 Old 05-26-2008, 06:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anybody tried to start the computer using the remote?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliric View Post

Can you tell me if this remote can wake up my computer from sleep or hibernation? If not, do you know any gyroscopic remote which does so?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 510 Old 05-26-2008, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
i wouldnt see why not as long as your usb header is supplying standby voltage. Most of the MCE USB remotes will do this but then again this is wireless usb. so who knows.

post #93 of 510 Old 05-27-2008, 05:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I have never been able to turn on my pc via the MCE remotes... it this an option to enable in the bios for the standby voltage? I am speaking of a full shutdown though not standby.

My laptop does it oddly lol.... which is really annoying when I am in my bedroom and hit the green button on my remote for my pc and see my laptop power on!
post #94 of 510 Old 05-27-2008, 05:23 AM
AVS Special Member

and BTW I have my remote and the transciever on order so should be here in a week or two. if anyone wants me to try anything please let me know and I will when they come in.

BTW is the LCD only for music or does it give more options?
post #95 of 510 Old 05-27-2008, 05:31 AM
AVS Special Member

not sure, but if you have a red stanby light on the ms philips reciever it is getting power via USB, This will allow you to bring the computer our of an S3 state i believe. I did it with an older asus p4pe motherboard and am doing it now with a p5ne-sli. similar to the way a keyboard or mouse can bring somthing up. This may be a bios option as well. Im not an expert by any means.

post #96 of 510 Old 05-27-2008, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nintari View Post

BTW is the LCD only for music or does it give more options?

The LCD is 2 way. So it sees what is in your WMP database and will return that information to the remote.

So if you have a couple of MP3 files it will show the names of the file and allow you to scroll through them then select and play those that are on the LCD screen. I'll takes some pics later if you like.

Also, the remote will work without any additional drivers...plug the transceiver in and it works but, if you want to use the LCD feature then you will need to load the driver mentioned in this thread.
post #97 of 510 Old 05-27-2008, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

nc88keyz: I was thinking from a complete powered off state. I havent messed with standby but may try it for the hell of it. I just think of all the times when my kids are on the wrong input on the tv and hit the power button on the HTPC thnking it is off... then I come in later plop down and find it turned off only to have to get up and turn it back on lol.

Draztik: I was thinking will it show guide info or etc... no big deal if it doesnt.

On a side not I ordered my remote off ebay on friday afternoon (5/23) from Liberty Tech Computer World inc based out of Texas. I got it today.... 5/27... they shipped priority mail I am just surprised with sunday and the holiday monday I got it that fast. I may have to ebay more!

One hting I am a little dissapointed with though on this remote... only one other device is supported didnt really pay attention to that but oh well my reciever didnt work with the reg gyration remote so no biggie lol.
post #98 of 510 Old 05-27-2008, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nintari View Post

One hting I am a little dissapointed with though on this remote... only one other device is supported didnt really pay attention to that but oh well my receiver didn't work with the reg gyration remote so no biggie lol.

Actually you can use the learn feature and use it with multiple devices. I use some of the number buttons to turn things off and on and switch sources etc..the smaller arrow keys turn my lights on and off. This may not be ideal but for the money...
post #99 of 510 Old 05-28-2008, 08:39 AM

I still can't get 1 of my 2 PCs working reliably with the LCD display. I reinstalled Vista Ultimate from scratch, and still doesn't work. It will work for a minute or two and then I get the 'No Service' message. Both of my PCs are at Vista Ultimate x86 SP1. Not sure why one works and one doesn't. Seems to be something with Media Player running as a background process, but I'm not sure why that would be different between the two PCs. Any ideas? The one that works is an Intel Core2Duo Sony VAIO VGN-AR550e laptop and the other one is a home built AMD Athlonx2 desktop. Could the AMD chipset be the problem somehow?

I also used an old casing for an ATI Remote Wonder I had to make a nice USB dongle for the Wireless USB card. I'll have to take some pictures to post. The little box on the ATI Remote Wonder cable fit the add on card perfectly!
post #100 of 510 Old 05-28-2008, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcat6 View Post

Chepnut, sounds like we are having the same problem. The remote functions normally again after the display times out (the icon goes away of the screen.) I'm curious, what are the specifics of your system?

Here is my setup

Mobo = GIGABYTE GA-MA78GM-S2H
CPU = AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ BE
Ram = G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB)

I have the usb reciever wired up to the internal headers, every thing seems to work ok on the remote until I hit the lcd/music button on the top. If I am playing music it will show me the artist and time remaining. If I go to change the song, the music will freak out and skip all over the place. then the remote stops responding. Says I need to restart the remote app. I end up having to reboot the system to get the transport controls on the remote to work. It never looses gyration control.

Now if I am not listening to music, and I hit the button. It will show me the normal artist/playlist/genre options but then if I try to move the cursor it will freeze up on me and stop responding.

I noticed that you are having problems on your AMD machine, that would be weird if it came down to that. If that is the problem then I am going to have to live with the problem. I am not building another rig just to have the screen on the remote work.
post #101 of 510 Old 05-28-2008, 01:05 PM

On mine, the remote just locks up until the LCD times out. Wait until the display goes blank and see if it responds again. I don't need to do a restart. It also helps if I press the Green Button, that seems to end the music LCD function and return the remote to operational again. Is that motherboard an NVIDIA chipset? 430 series? It does sound like we are having the exact same problem, based on the symptoms. Anyone on hearing using this with an AMD processor?
post #102 of 510 Old 05-28-2008, 02:49 PM

no its a new amd/ati board the north and south chipsets are amd, on board video is a ATI Radeon HD 3200 chipset, and the audio chipset is Realtek ALC889A.
post #103 of 510 Old 05-28-2008, 05:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Guess what???

Add another AMD user that cant get it working lmao!

Asus m2ne nforce 500 chipset, 6000+ cpu, all rmeote functions work perfect BUT as soon as I hit the music button on the remote it loads the little menu, then when I press down twice or etc the LCD locks up and sasy the app isnt running on my macine to right click and restart it. the app is installed and it is running, and I have tried restart many times.

So... I try it on my laptop which is a core 2 duo.. and guess what? it works fine lmao

Next going to try it upstairs on my bedroom HTPC which is a nforce 4 ultra chipset

BTW the two systems I have tried on so far are Vista Home Premium, then next one will be ultimate.
post #104 of 510 Old 05-28-2008, 05:28 PM
AVS Special Member

the plot thickens..... it worked fine on my AMD system upstairs....
post #105 of 510 Old 05-28-2008, 08:43 PM

Anything else common about the systems that don't work? Here are all of the specs for my PC:

Hardware:
Foxconn 6150BK8MC-KRSHN2 (NVidia GeForce 6150B + nForce 430)
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ Socket 939
NVidia 8500 GT Video card (175.16 version driver)
2 GB RAM
Hauppauge HVR 1600 (latest driver)
Avermedia AverTV Hybrid Volar MAX (2 of these - beta clear QAM driver)

Do all of the non-functional systems have on board video & AMD? Does anyone have a config with AMD and on board video working? Not sure why that would cause any problem, though.
post #106 of 510 Old 05-29-2008, 04:29 PM

Thanks for the input regarding computer wake up. I understood that I would be able use the remote to wake up the comp from sleep/standby/hibernation, but I will not be able to start it after shutdown, right?

bearcat6, is your system a HP s3300f slimline? I was planning to buy one from ebay and use also a Dell remote with it.
post #107 of 510 Old 05-29-2008, 04:51 PM

No, my system is not the HP slimline.
post #108 of 510 Old 05-29-2008, 07:08 PM
AVS Special Member

mine works fine in VMC 32Bit and the gyration motion mouse thing works but it always says cannot start service in the taskbar or service has stopped. I wired it up to an Acer 8204WLMI using external USB header. Green button works. Does the dell app permit you to make sensitivity adjustments on the motion tech mouse.

T2500 CD
200GB 7200 RPM Drive
Vista Ult SP1
ATI 1600 Mobility
2GB
Logitech internal 1.3 webcam, bluetooth, Atheros G minipci

post #109 of 510 Old 05-29-2008, 09:47 PM
AVS Special Member

I think there is still some mission info to getting this working 110%

It works , but what gives with the lcd locking this up.

Ive tried this on an acer 8204WLMI and P5neSli and its doing the same thing there.

Ironically it is working in the latest build of XBMC. for x86.

I just ran all updates on vista as well.

i love the gyration feature. Just wish i could adjust it somehow.

I suppose for now its hit or miss on whether the dell app likes our motherboards.

post #110 of 510 Old 05-29-2008, 10:17 PM

goes to install xbmc, will report back when I am done. Might be a while since thee 2 year old daughter has decided to have a sit on papa's lap and play computer helper
post #111 of 510 Old 05-29-2008, 10:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Is everyone using the latest driver from dell for this remote. BTW, it doesnt pop up when you click the remote on the xps M2010 system / video drivers.

Search for Thomson Dell Premium Remote

You will find this driver from March 2008

Interesting to see if one is more stable than the other.

http://ftp.us.dell.com/video/R166095.EXE

Thomson Dell Premium Remote Control, v.(1.0.048/1.48), A04 <<<<<<<<<<----------------
This SW application controls the bi-directional communication between the host system and the external remote control peripheral device and run as a Windows Service. 3/24/2008 | (Drivers and Downloads)

Thomson Dell Premium Remote Control, v.1.0.048/1.48, A03
This SW application controls the bi-directional communication between the host system and the external remote control peripheral device and run as a Windows Service. 5/31/2007 | (Drivers and Downloads)

Thomson Dell Premium Remote Control, v.1.0.046, A02
This SW application controls the bi-directional communication between the host system and the external remote control peripheral device and run as a Windows Service.

post #112 of 510 Old 05-30-2008, 07:36 AM

My set up works great with an Acer laptop 5920. I did not want to open up the laptop, so I created an external usb set up. I put the RH515 in a case from here: www.polycase.com. I ordered the remote from Ebay(Liberty Tech Computer World) for $14.00 before they went up in price. Fast shipping and the remote was in excellent shape except the batteries that came with it were junk. I will try to post pics of my set up.
post #113 of 510 Old 05-30-2008, 08:07 AM

I've been using this one:
Thomson Dell Premium Remote Control, v.1.0.048/1.48, A03
This SW application controls the bi-directional communication between the host system and the external remote control peripheral device and run as a Windows Service. 5/31/2007 | (Drivers and Downloads)

I'll try the newest one that you found tonight. Thanks for the find, nc88keyz.
post #114 of 510 Old 05-30-2008, 09:28 AM

well I grabbed the new driver, removed the old one rebooted. fired up vmc and my transport controls didn't work only the gyration. So I rebooted again and they worked but when I hit the lcd/music button it froze when I started to move the cursor down and then it gave me the familiar no service screen
post #115 of 510 Old 05-30-2008, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Just a side note.....

I noticed after installing this Dell remote app on to my main HTPC my music collection no longer shows up on WebGuide

just out of curiocity, the original Gyration remote (gold colored no LCD) has anyone tried a gyration keyboard with the receiver? I have the 900 MHz set but my mouse batteries are dead and would love to have another small keyboard like this but dont want to put up with yet another receiver hanging off my HTPC lmao.
post #116 of 510 Old 05-30-2008, 05:59 PM

I wish my remote didn't have the lcd screen, it just sits there and mocks me. I was 100% with the remote until I decided to try out the "extra" features. Now its my moby dick.

Damn you non responsive metadata lcd screen!!!
post #117 of 510 Old 05-30-2008, 08:59 PM

Same result here. The new release seems to install files that have the same dates and version numbers as the earlier release.
post #118 of 510 Old 05-30-2008, 10:35 PM

almost makes me think we need some of the wires that come with the receiver, does anybody know what those were for anyways?
post #119 of 510 Old 05-31-2008, 06:32 AM
AVS Special Member

The extra wires are normal.

Havent you ever build bush or RTA furniture from wally world or Target.

In my household those are called extra parts

When i get to step 13 and it says Im done in the instructions, I do not have the will-power to search for my mistakes. We do the stand up test and a little shake shake and if it doesnt crash then it passed our household installment certification.

It is now ready to be left alone. It needs to sit there for 3-5 years then prepare for its final destination of the front driveway awaiting the lucky yard sale shopper who will give it a great home for its final days.

post #120 of 510 Old 05-31-2008, 12:24 PM

how true! The parts get regulated to the drawer of no return where all the funky allen wrenches, bolts and plastic pieces get put. "just in case"

I remember the first entertainment center me and my wife built we used glue to reinforce the unit only to find out we forgot a couple of key pieces and put a side on wrong. Well the glue dried and out came the rubber mallet, a half hour later the thing was on corner and we were on our way back to the store to buy unit #2

Things were tight but I wasn't going to have our TV just sit on some milk crates, how could I show my face in public. lol
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page